Obama and Romney to engage in lunch today; have nothing to discuss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Obama and Romney to engage in lunch today; have nothing to discuss

Talk about awkward for both men!  Obviously the optics of this are more important than either’s feelings for the other and so this bit of political theater is clearly aimed at sending a broader message about bipartisanship or something.  That said, I can’t imagine beyond pleasantries these two have a great deal to say to one another on a personal level so lets help the boys out and come up with some nice conversation topics.

The Weather

The old standby, and the refuge of those who clearly have no reason to speak to another person but for some reason must.

Obama:  So…uhhhh, how is the winter settling in up north?

Romney:  Mr President, it is still autumn, we’ve got a few weeks before its actually winter anywhere.

Obama:  Yes, that is…what I mean to ask is, uhhhh….right. 

Sports

Sports are a great way to establish rapport and even though two people may like different teams and sports typically there is some common ground to be found and if nothing else sports can easily chew up large chunks of time that would otherwise be spent fumbling around discussing inane topics like the weather.

Obama:  So how do you think the Sox are going to rebuild for the next season?  They have a lot of parts to replace

Romney:  I was pretty busy the last couple of years so I didn’t follow much of the last season, especially with the Olympics in the summer.

Obama:  Big Olympics guy, huh?  After Salt Lake City you caught the bug? 

Romney:  Well, I have a stake in the games, my wife and I own a horse.

Obama:  That’s right, so you are into equestrian events?

Romney:  Something like that.  Its actually called dressage, its sort of rhythmic dancing

Obama:  Horse dancing? 

Politics

A natural conversation for two politicos, but the potential for anger or resentment is high.  Not recommended.

Obama:  So about the election…

Romney:  Seriously?  No really?

Obama:  The elephant in the room…

Romney:  I got your elephant right here!

Obama:  ….

Romney:  Just shut the **** up and eat your arugula salad you mom jean wearing, no baseball throwing, jerk.

Women

Given that this is a private lunch, with no media, I would imagine the two men have a opportunity for candor they don’t typically have with these sorts of meetings.  Discussing women in this context would seem natural.

Romney:  Okay my turn.  Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and Megyn Fox.  Marry, F**K, Kill

Obama:  That’s easy.  Marry Megyn, F**K Michelle, and Kill Sarah

Romney:  F**K Michelle?  That’s crazy, you’re crazy

Obama:  No seriously.  Have you seen Sarah lately?

Romney:  Mmm, good point.  She’s got a meth chic thing going on.

Obama:  Exactly.  Now if we are talking Sarah from 2008 then that’s a different story.  Alright my turn.  Hillary Clinton, Elena Kagan, and Rachel Maddow.  Marry, F**k, Kill

Romney:  Christ, dude.  Do you know how to play this game?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Obama and Romney to engage in lunch today; have nothing to discuss

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"So, is that Professor Gates guy a dick or what?"

[/QUOTE]

Obama: Not as much as Cornell West or Tavis Smiley, those guys are some haters.  But yeah Gates has got a touch of dickishness to him.  Give a guy a teaching job at Harvard and a show no one watches on public television and all of sudden its like 'whoa I am important', am I right?

Romney:  Hey, at least your guy has his own things going on.  Me?  I got Karl Rove calling me, calling Ann, and if that wasn't enought calling all of my boys too!

Obama:  Really?

Romney:  Listen, he's got all these guys breathing down his neck about how much money he spent, the promises he made, and all of that, and I don't know what to tell him.  What can I tell him?

Obama:  True, true

Romney:  So why in the everliving frick is he calling me?  What are Taggart, Mattart, Benart, Joshart, and Craigart going to tell him?  I think I pounded like 10 O'douls just last night when he was literrally sitting outside of my house like a sad little roundfaced puppy with a receding hairline.

Obama:  Back up a second...

Romney:  Don't start.  I mean, you don't have a lot of room to snark with that name you are walking around with, pal. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Two questions why invite and why go?

Obama - why did he invite Romney he's not the the leader of the Dem party and he's already been discarded as trash leftover after a party.  So did he just want to be able to say "I won, you lost get over it".

Romney - why did he even accept the invite, he's not entrenched in a the party as a senior leader he just rolled into the party fulfill the dream of his father and have a Romney be president.  The party up and comers have all but formally dismissed Romney from any future roll.  Did he just want to see what he was missing by losing the election?  To which I say get over it you lost, get some dignity and move on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obama - why did he invite Romney he's not the the leader of the Dem party and he's already been discarded as trash leftover after a party.  So did he just want to be able to say "I won, you lost get over it".

Romney - why did he even accept the invite, he's not entrenched in a the party as a senior leader he just rolled into the party fulfill the dream of his father and have a Romney be president.  The party up and comers have all but formally dismissed Romney from any future roll.  Did he just want to see what he was missing by losing the election?  To which I say get over it you lost, get some dignity and move on.

[/QUOTE]

Why not?

What does showing up for lunch with the president have anything to do with "dignity"?  How is either party relevant at this particular luncheon?

Even if it boils down to basic courtesy (even in DC), there is indeed such a thing as good form.  What about that part don't you get?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcr400m. Show dcr400m's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He promised to meet with him election night - however the summary destruction (self) by Miittens and the "gifts" comments took any hope for any possible redeeming value - but why create a Fox-spiracy by cancelling on Mittens  - you know every RWNJ would be out with knives sharpened - but hey maybe it would push aside the McSame kabuki dance on Libya. (no way)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I beleive Obama said he would reach out to him in his concession speech, and it is somewhat of a tradition (not lunch per se but a meeting between the two candidates).  Bush met with Gore, but did not meet with Kerry, Obama met with McCain in 2008 and previous to that Clinton met with Dole following their contest. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They can always talk about RomneyCare.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They can always talk about RomneyCare.

[/QUOTE]

Or call the Cambridge police stupid.

[/QUOTE]

"The Great Reconciler"

kinda catchy...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Is there beer involved? Will Romney wear his mormon underwear? Will mittens break under the pressure of a "yep, ya lost all this" moment?

Last nail in the coffin?

Ahhhhh, sleep well tonight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

They could talk about how stupid the majority of American voters are.

Sections
Shortcuts