Obama, Cameron Promote Trade Deal Granting Corporations Political Power

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Obama, Cameron Promote Trade Deal Granting Corporations Political Power

"Investor-state resolution grants corporations the political power to appeal one government's laws and regulations to an international court. If the court rules that the government's standards violate the terms of a trade agreement, it can impose financial penalties and other sanctions."

Grayson is a leftwing loon, and uses the usual brainless "corporations are evil" mantra.

However,  for those concerned about American sovereignty, it is troubling that an 'international court' can punish the US.

I dont like Nanny State overregulation, but I dont want an international court to determine whether US regulations are appropriate or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I don't have a problem with the trade deal, but I am not a fan of granting corporations the political power to appeal to an international court when the two countries involved are not developing nations. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

There is smart free trade and ther is dumb free trade. Smart free trade consists of obtaining resources and products that your own country cannot make on its own. Dumb free trade consists of obtaining EVERYTHING from other countries, including resources and products that your own country used to make on its own.

Smart free trade occurs among countries of similar economic standing. Dumb free trade occurs between rich countries and poor countries.  Free trade between the U.S. and Canada or Europe makes sense, but free trade between the U.S. and Mexico does not.  Free trade doesn't meet the definition if partnerships aren't equal.

The only people benefitting from dumb free trade are the multinational elites who profit enormously from the difference of wages in various countries, and what's good for the multinational corporations is rarely good for the average American.

I'm not sure our economy can take much more globalization and ever expanding capitalism. Maybe it is time to create a self sustaining America that focuses on quality of life rather than GDP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"There is smart free trade and ther is dumb free trade."

"There is dumb government trade regulation and there is dumber government trade regulation."