Obama gets Iran nuke deal done!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Obama gets Iran nuke deal done!!!

I hope my instincts are wrong and that THIS is the moment that Obama is being truthful and putting America and it's interests first.  Of course I probably would have been talking to Israel and including them in the process but I never went to Harvard so I clearly know nothing.

Congratulations Mr President on getting a deal with Iran peacefully that nobody else has been able to achieve to this point.  I apologize for my skepticism but am being optimistic....with caution. 

Am I the only one who can't get this guy seen below out of my head today????  I hope I'm wrong....

British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Obama gets Iran nuke deal done!!!

Obama to Iran:

"If you like your current nukes, you can keep your current nukes."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obama to Iran:

"If you like your current nukes, you can keep your current nukes."

[/QUOTE]

CLC,

This turn on Obama's words has already been overdone.

Need to find a new meme to stay current.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Pragmatism won the day.  Whether it's sustained over the long-term remains to be seen...

...but there's really no question this is what the global community wants re: Iran.

In this situation - as in most others - diplomacy was always the best option.  It worked, for now.

But it's no wonder Netanyahu is beside himself with rage.  He stopped pretending to care about U.S. interests quite some time ago.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

looks like a great deal for Iran...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just another North Korea thing . we been there, done that.

[/QUOTE]

Simplistic to a fault.

The two are nothing alike.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

looks like a great deal for Iran...

[/QUOTE]

It's a great deal for everyone, despite whether or not Bibi likes it.

This is not to say there is no risk.  There always is.

The important thing is that the Iranians themselves approve.  Despite their leaders' worst inclinations, they have at least earned the respect of the benefit of the doubt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Simplistic to a fault.

[/QUOTE]

agreed Iran is far more dangerous.  I wonder how much Putin had to do with this....it seems like a pretty good situation for Iran and I could see him guiding Iran to help them get what they want without having to give up much....no proof, just a hunch....the world views Obama as being weak, Putin knows better than anyone how to take advantage of Obama....history will tell us, no way to tell yet.....

not sure why Obama would leave Israel AND Saudi Arabia out of the process.  Talking with your enemies and alienating your friends is an odd Obama behavior that I'll never understand. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Speaking of Israel.  When is the last time Israel's nuclear program was inspected by the IAEA?

Oh I forgot they never signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Secretary Kerry's next mission should be to talk to Israel about reductions in their program, or at the very least, joining onto the treaty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Its strange that those opposed to what is essentially a short term trial easing of sanctions and some significant give on the part of Iran would invoke Chamberlain as an example of Obama appeasing Tehran.

Are people just this blindly partisan for is it just stupidity?  The deal that was announced is what sanctions are supposed to do.  We didn't impose sanctions as a stopgap measure while we geared up for war, the sanctions were intended to produce a diplomatic solution, thus mitigating the need for war.  The agreement may very fall apart, in which case the sanctions go back into place, and those calling for airstrikes (which will lead to broader war) will have made their case more compelling.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Meanwhile, some on the right just couldn't help themselves from spouting conspiracy theories about the Iran deal diverting attention from Obamacare.

---------------------

Senator John Thune, Republican of South Dakota, agreed, telling Breitbart News that Democrats were trying to divert attention from “all of their broken ObamaCare promises.”

Then on Saturday, Iran agreed to a temporary freeze of its nuclear program. News outlets around the world covered the historic diplomatic breakthrough—which raised Senator John Cornyn’s suspicions.

“Amazing what WH will do to distract attention from O-care,” the Texas Republican wrote on Twitter.

If he was joking, he never gave himself away. Later he tweeted, “Isn’t it true that WH are masters of distraction?”

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/the-health-care-distraction-conspiracy/?hp&rref=opinion

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Simplistic to a fault.

[/QUOTE]

agreed Iran is far more dangerous.  I wonder how much Putin had to do with this....it seems like a pretty good situation for Iran and I could see him guiding Iran to help them get what they want without having to give up much....no proof, just a hunch....the world views Obama as being weak, Putin knows better than anyone how to take advantage of Obama....history will tell us, no way to tell yet.....

not sure why Obama would leave Israel AND Saudi Arabia out of the process.  Talking with your enemies and alienating your friends is an odd Obama behavior that I'll never understand. 

[/QUOTE]

All of this is opinion; none supported by fact.

And if this was a GOP admin making the deal, gopers would be singing foreign policy praises to the highest rafters.

And if Israel and Saudi Arabia don't like it, they can bomb Iran themselves and leave us out of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Simplistic to a fault.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And if this was a GOP admin making the deal, gopers would be singing foreign policy praises to the highest rafters.

And if Israel and Saudi Arabia don't like it, they can bomb Iran themselves and leave us out of it.

[/QUOTE]

like when Bush took N Korea off the evil list and kept Rumsfeld way too long and stayed in Iraq  after they figured out no WMD??  you forget how critical i was of Bush.  iran is minimally a direc t threat to us, they threaten our allies Israel and Saudi Arabia yet we make an agreement with them but dont consult with them....I would have done it differently, I negotiate complex things daily at pretty high levels with people i know, people i dont know and occasionally people who dont want to hear from me but i'm never afraid to talk to any of them...it seems like Obama is uncomfortable talking to ANYONE who might disagree with him....it;s a big knock on him as a person, he likes his bubble.

you learn more from talking to people who disagree with you than you do from people who are always on your side. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Simplistic to a fault.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

like when Bush took N Korea off the evil list and kept Rumsfeld way too long and stayed in Iraq  after they figured out no WMD??  you forget how critical i was of Bush.  iran is minimally a direc t threat to us, they threaten our allies Israel and Saudi Arabia yet we make an agreement with them but dont consult with them....I would have done it differently, I negotiate complex things daily at pretty high levels with people i know, people i dont know and occasionally people who dont want to hear from me but i'm never afraid to talk to any of them...it seems like Obama is uncomfortable talking to ANYONE who might disagree with him....it;s a big knock on him as a person, he likes his bubble.

you learn more from talking to people who disagree with you than you do from people who are always on your side. 

[/QUOTE]

Obama is uncomfortable talking to those who might disagree with him?  You mean like IRAN?

The Saudi's don't have a a robust foreign policy with regard to Iran.  They operate by funding groups that advance their goals, because even though they view Iran as the biggest threat in the region (along with Israel) they tend not take dramatic action against fellow muslims for fear of enraging their own muslim population.  

We know what Israel's opinion was so there was no need to include them as they would have actively sought to undermine progress.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Simplistic to a fault.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which would seem like an implicit endorsement for talking to the new Iranian President, not invoking the 'boogeyman' or responding with bluster like you and other hawks like to do .

But you're confused again...we 'consulted' with Israel and Saudi plenty.  They pretty much ignored us, but took our weapons and cash anyway. (Bibi publicly scorned us.)  Beyond that, those countries are looking out for themselves, not for us.

The 'evil list' was always a bad joke, thrown together for politics' sake with a lot of hot air and very little substance behind it.

Others have said - and I agree to a point - this situation is much closer to the INF agreement with the USSR in 1987 - then anything we've done with DPRK.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking of Israel.  When is the last time Israel's nuclear program was inspected by the IAEA?

Secretary Kerry's next mission should be to talk to Israel about reductions in their program, or at the very least, joining onto the treaty.

[/QUOTE]

Another US progressive who cant forgive Israel from its mortal sin of ..being a US ally. Progressives always "lean forward" toward US enemies, dont look kindly on US allies. 

Mr. moral equivalence, where each side is equally guilty, just wondering: Did Israel's leaders expressly threaten to wipe Iran from the face of the earth, and claim they had no right to exist?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

As we go back and forth on the Iranian nuke deal, I believe there are a few facts we all should keep in mind, esp. when it seems so many hawks are so ready to go to war with Iran.

First, the United States has been at similar crossroads before. With horrific results, U.S. leaders bypassed alternatives and pursued war in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya.

This past summer, Syria was willing to talk about giving up its chemical weapons. There's still a war in Syria, and the CIA is still fueling it, but the talking worked. The missiles didn't fly.

Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL) recently voiced the mindless mentality for war on Iran: "How do you define an Iranian moderate? An Iranian who is out of bullets and out of money." Nice. Real nice.

Iran has actually not attacked another nation in centuries, is not threatening war on any nation, does not possess nuclear weapons, and has not violated the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. The United States can’t make any of those four claims.

And lastly, the Washington Post reported, "Recent findings by United Nations officials suggest" that Iran "has dramatically slowed work on its atomic energy program since the summer."

There is nothing simple about this debate, but the endgame could not be more serious IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another US progressive who cant forgive Israel from its mortal sin of ..being a US ally. Progressives always "lean forward" toward US enemies, dont look kindly on US allies. 

Mr. moral equivalence, where each side is equally guilty, just wondering: Did Israel's leaders expressly threaten to wipe Iran from the face of the earth, and claim they had no right to exist?

[/QUOTE]

And another US conservative who keeps changing the subject while worrying about words instead of actions.

Again, maybe Israel's leaders should just take John Bolton's advice and bomb Iran unilaterally and start yet another war front in the middle east.