Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarBozachT00. Show OscarBozachT00's posts

Does this man have no shame?  He is intentionally destroying the economy and then blames Republicans for not stopping him.

President Obama is either mentally ill... or thinks you are too dumb to notice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorPain. Show ProfessorPain's posts

Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...

The republicans don't care about people who are out of work and need to feed their families, Obama does. That is the difference. We've tried the republican platform (and its different incarnations) and its always failed, leaving dems to pick up the pieces. All republicans care about is the rich. They hide behind Jesus, and twist his message into something inrecognizable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorPain. Show ProfessorPain's posts

Oscar, you couldn't be more wrong. The republicans destroyed the economy. Lack of regulation, lack proper taxation, corporate wellfare, these things destroyed the economy. It is going to take Obama many years to repair the terrible damage guys like Bush and Hatch did. Keep drinking the beck coolaide. Maybe you should read Common NOnsense, an illuminating biography that proves beck is little more than a foolish sadist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarBozachT00. Show OscarBozachT00's posts

ProfessorPain says: "The republicans don't care about people who are out of work and need to feed their families, Obama does. That is the difference. ... It is going to take Obama many years to repair the terrible damage guys like Bush and Hatch did."

RESPONSE: Here are a few questions for you:
    1. Should we continue the Democrat's subprime mortgage agenda?
    2. Has the budget deficit grown or shrunk since the Democrats took over both houses of congress in January 2007?  (remember congress controls spending)
    3. Do you agree with Joe Biden at America must spend wildly to prevent from going bankrupt?

I'll wait...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorPain. Show ProfessorPain's posts

Keep waiting bud. If you want to have a real debate we can have it. If you want to lob accusations based on incomplete information and innacurate presentation of the facts, then I won't engage you in a discussion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

There's no such thing as a "subprime mortgage agenda", unless you count this:

We're creating... an ownership society in this country, where more Americans than ever will be able to open up their door where they live and say, welcome to my house, welcome to my piece of property.
    - President George W. Bush, October 2004.

Yeah, how'd that work out for ol' W.?  To wit:

George Bush called this the ownership society, but what he really meant was the 'you're-on-your-own' society.
    - Barack Obama, 2008

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...:
    There's no such thing as a "subprime mortgage agenda", unless you count this: We're creating... an ownership society in this country, where more Americans than ever will be able to open up their door where they live and say, welcome to my house, welcome to my piece of property. - President George W. Bush, October 2004. Yeah, how'd that work out for ol' W.?  To wit: George Bush called this the ownership society, but what he really meant was the 'you're-on-your-own' society. - Barack Obama, 2008
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Not one of Bush's best moments but he had already given in to the dark side of excessive compromise but the public was still supposed to pay for their private housing.  As opposed to the Obama program of having the government pay mortgages, doesn't that turn private housing into public housing?  Peggy Joseph a proud Obama supporter thinks this is how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

...as opposed to the vast middle who say Obama is making it harder on them and their heirs for the next 50 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...:
    ...as opposed to the vast middle who say Obama is making it harder on them and their heirs for the next 50 years.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

Indeed, that's "what they say"...but that pre-supposes "they" know what they're talking about.

Such presumptions in the midst of an economic climate like this are not only unseemly and graceless, they smack of selfishness and elitism, as if "they" shouldn't have to even consider a modest sacrifice during tough times.

I seem to remember someone saying that none of this would be easy, that tough times were ahead, and that everyone would need to give up a little for the common good.  This is how intelligent societies are supposed to work - toward mutually sustaining ends.

And if you're against the common good, then you're against the good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

This is news?  Of course the Republicans are making life harder for the jobless - that's what they do.  Anything to hoard money for the wealthy.

Do you know what the Republican's call middle class and working class people that support them? Marks.  The republicans are the biggest group of Con artists ever. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : Not one of Bush's best moments but he had already given in to the dark side of excessive compromise but the public was still supposed to pay for their private housing.  As opposed to the Obama program of having the government pay mortgages, doesn't that turn private housing into public housing?  Peggy Joseph a proud Obama supporter thinks this is how it works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

The mortgage program is not really about paying mortgages. So few people would actually qualify for that level of assistance that really not many have really gotten that help to date that I am aware of. Yes it can help some folks but the process to get the money really is just a way to get the bank to hold off about six months to forclose. Really not a bad idea when it has taken so many folks a year to find a new job. The cost of services to help homeless families really costs more to administer than the typical mortgage payment in terms of staff and buildings and administration. So on the economics side it actually works as a short term help in addition to unemployment which really only covers a small part of expenses for a family.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

Alex, that's awesome. Nice job. (The best part is when you click on it and send it in motion.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

This is news?  Of course the Republicans are making life harder for the jobless - that's what they do.  Anything to hoard money for the wealthy. Do you know what the Republican's call middle class and working class people that support them? Marks.  The republicans are the biggest group of Con artists ever. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Some of those wealthiest being Dem Senators/Congressmen of course

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : Indeed, that's "what they say"...but that pre-supposes "they" know what they're talking about. Such presumptions in the midst of an economic climate like this are not only unseemly and graceless, they smack of selfishness and elitism, as if "they" shouldn't have to even consider a modest sacrifice during tough times. I seem to remember someone saying that none of this would be easy, that tough times were ahead, and that everyone would need to give up a little for the common good.  This is how intelligent societies are supposed to work - toward mutually sustaining ends. And if you're against the common good, then you're against the good.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

...but Matty you pre-suppose that we all think that you know what you're talking about.  If I didn't know any better I'd say that your response sounded like a pedantic, pompous lecture lacking any selfdepreciating humor and smacking of elitism, but I just happened to overhear "what they say".

I am for the common good which in my world means we all tighten our belt now and that includes Government so we tha t don't place an untenable financial burden on our grandchildren.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... :   The mortgage program is not really about paying mortgages. So few people would actually qualify for that level of assistance that really not many have really gotten that help to date that I am aware of. Yes it can help some folks but the process to get the money really is just a way to get the bank to hold off about six months to forclose. Really not a bad idea when it has taken so many folks a year to find a new job. The cost of services to help homeless families really costs more to administer than the typical mortgage payment in terms of staff and buildings and administration. So on the economics side it actually works as a short term help in addition to unemployment which really only covers a small part of expenses for a family.
    Posted by topaz978

Maybe true on a small transient level, but this type of program would simply implode do to a quick over expansion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : ...but Matty you pre-suppose that we all think that you know what you're talking about.  If I didn't know any better I'd say that your response sounded like a pedantic, pompous lecture lacking any selfdepreciating humor and smacking of elitism, but I just happened to overhear "what they say". I am for the common good which in my world means we all tighten our belt now and that includes Government so we tha t don't place an untenable financial burden on our grandchildren.

Then obviously the problem is that you don't understand what the Common Good is.  By the way, what color is the sky in your world?

And untenable burden on our grandchildren - you mean like 2 wars?  How about an untenable burden on our children.  Only a fool thinks plunging the country into a long, deep depression is something that is good for our children and grandchildren.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : Then obviously the problem is that you don't understand what the Common Good is.  By the way, what color is the sky in your world? And untenable burden on our grandchildren - you mean like 2 wars?  How about an untenable burden on our children.  Only a fool thinks plunging the country into a long, deep depression is something that is good for our children and grandchildren.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

I didn't realize massmodjoe advocated for and got us into these two wars. Who knew.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaySev2010. Show JaySev2010's posts

Hows  that MA H C working out for you.
    Posted by chiefhowie

It is actually working out pretty good for me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaySev2010. Show JaySev2010's posts

so what did republicans deregulate under Bush?
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Both sides have their hands dirty when it comes to deregulation. Clinton should rightly get some blame here (as should carter). However it is worth pointing out that Clinton was working with a republican congress at the time. The real problems started under reagan though. The biggest problem under bush was he put people who were cozy with the industries they were supposed to regulate in charge of regulatory agencies and they created a number of loopholes for industries (such as the oil industry) so that the EPA didn't apply to them.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

I would love to see a stricter version of the jobless benefits package. Many people will not take any job because that job pays less then they used to make. Many people won't take a career change or wont work the 3rd shift etc..  If you have been accepting jobless benefits for over a year then it's time to figure something else out.  Instead of handing out paychecks how about opening up existing schools for these people. I would much rather spend $7000 to re-train the worker than give them 5 times that in benefits. The dems are way to compassionate about handing out govt. money. (sorry China money)

Bush did ask for easier access to loans but when it started getting out of hand the dems would not pull back. both parties are to blame but more than them it is the fools that took on way to much house debt just because they could.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaySev2010. Show JaySev2010's posts

I would love to see a stricter version of the jobless benefits package. Many people will not take any job because that job pays less then they used to make. Many people won't take a career change or wont work the 3rd shift etc..  If you have been accepting jobless benefits for over a year then it's time to figure something else out.  Instead of handing out paychecks how about opening up existing schools for these people. I would much rather spend $7000 to re-train the worker than give them 5 times that in benefits. The dems are way to compassionate about handing out govt. money. (sorry China money) Bush did ask for easier access to loans but when it started getting out of hand the dems would not pull back. both parties are to blame but more than them it is the fools that took on way to much house debt just because they could.
    Posted by ccfaulk

While I have certainly seen people unwilling to take lower paying job, part of the problem is many of these guys have familes to feed and what is available often won't cover that. I ended up taking a job at a super market at one point (a whopping 10 bucks an hour), but that wouldn't have been enough to cover my children's needs, our overhead (we started renting when things got bad) had I not found a job in my industry again (which I did). There is also another issue at work. Fair or unfair, employers simply won't hire people who have been out of work for more than 3 months. This coupled with the fact that there are more people lookign for work than there is work, you can see how things are going from bad to worse pretty quick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : ...but Matty you pre-suppose that we all think that you know what you're talking about.  If I didn't know any better I'd say that your response sounded like a pedantic, pompous lecture lacking any selfdepreciating humor and smacking of elitism, but I just happened to overhear "what they say". I am for the common good which in my world means we all tighten our belt now and that includes Government so we tha t don't place an untenable financial burden on our grandchildren.

What did I say that was incorrect?  You can quibble over my tone, if it makes you feel better, but not over substance (i.e. unless you have a retort).  And while you may have an idea of what the common good means, that doesn't mean others do.  The Madoffs and hedge funders and sleazy mortgage brokers and CDS bankers certainly didn't, and they certainly didn't care about your or my grandchildren's 'burden'.

This is what happens when elements of capitalism run amok; they distort perceptions of those things we should treasure, like hard work, education, perseverance, and charity.  And that's what I mean about people "knowing what they're talking about."  For some, it's much easier to blame the gov't or, worse, the president who happened to be elected after the walls had already crumbled.  Absent logical, critical faculties, we get moronic hyperbole like at the top of this thread.