Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...:
    In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : Then obviously the problem is that you don't understand what the Common Good is.  By the way, what color is the sky in your world? And untenable burden on our grandchildren - you mean like 2 wars?  How about an untenable burden on our children.  Only a fool thinks plunging the country into a long, deep depression is something that is good for our children and grandchildren.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

DW,

I just don't buy into to perception of reality.  I have great confidence and optimism for this country unless the govrernment continues to grow at teh rate it is.  Only a fool can think that Obama prevented a great depression, the only thing that happened here is that the economy has become stuck in a huge recession of correction while we spent stimulus money on public sector jobs.  Private enterprise will move the country forward unless the government screws it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...

In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless...:
    In Response to Re: Obama says Republicans making life harder for the jobless... : What did I say that was incorrect?  You can quibble over my tone, if it makes you feel better, but not over substance (i.e. unless you have a retort).  And while you may have an idea of what the common good means, that doesn't mean others do.  The Madoffs and hedge funders and sleazy mortgage brokers and CDS bankers certainly didn't, and they certainly didn't care about your or my grandchildren's 'burden'. This is what happens when elements of capitalism run amok; they distort perceptions of those things we should treasure, like hard work, education, perseverance, and charity.  And that's what I mean about people "knowing what they're talking about."  For some, it's much easier to blame the gov't or, worse, the president who happened to be elected after the walls had already crumbled.  Absent logical, critical faculties, we get moronic hyperbole like at the top of this thread.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Matty in my humble opinion you were adding to the hyperbole of the left.  But I believe we agree on the elements of capitalism that can run amok and as for Madoff and others like him they can rot in jail.  I'm a firm believer that in white collar crime is much more insidious than a street mugging and the impact of Madoff's crime is equivalent to a few million muggings and those sentences should be served consecutively.

I don't blame the president for getting us where we are, but I do blame him for a number of mistakes in trying to moving us forward and the fact that there is no real turnaround in sight and his administrations adding untenable debt to our heirs.