Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"...

Last night at Israel Policy Forum's symposium in New York on "Security and the New Middle East," former Director of the Mossad Efraim Halevy spoke directly about President Obama's efforts to "extricate" the six Israelis trapped inside the Israeli embassy in Cairo last Friday night:

“We’ve been talking these days about Turkey and about Egypt. And I would like to say something about the event which took place last Friday evening or through the night in Cairo, which I think to a large extent was a seminal event, not only in the history of the Middle East but also in the history of the relations between Israel and Egypt, and between Israel and the United States of America.

During that night, as you know, our embassy was surrounded and was on the verge of being stormed.  And the Prime Minister went to the special command center in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and from there he actually ran and commanded this operation of trying to extricate our staff from the embassy. And, at the end, there were six people left, six people of the security detail of the embassy.  They were there inside the last room, which had been the ultimate room in the embassy. And, they had one steel door, which was between them and the mob.

And the Prime Minister took many very, very important decisions that night. Successful decisions, very responsible decisions.  And for that he has been lauded, and rightly so I think by the public in Israel and by the population at large for his cool and his measured way of handling this crisis.

But one of the decisions he had to take in the end, he wanted to take, was to find ways of extricating his people, our people, out of that embassy. And he turned to one man, to the President of the United States, and he spoke to him. And the president of the United States, without having much time to consult with Congress, and with the media, and with the analysts and with all of the other people who have to be consulted on major and grave decisions. He took a decision to take up the telephone and get on the line with the powers that be in Egypt, and get them to order the release of these six people, and the detail of the Egyptian commando forces entered and saved them.

I think that this decision by President Obama was a unique decision in many ways. Because I don’t have to tell you, and this was just said time and time and over again this afternoon/this evening, that the United States is not in a position the way it was many years ago in the Middle East, it has its problems, it has its considerations, and rightly so. But I believe the leadership that the President of the United States showed on that night was a leadership of historic dimensions. It was he who took the ultimate decision that night which prevented what could have been a sad outcome—instead of six men coming home, the arrival in Israel of six body bags.

And I want to say to you very openly and very clearly that had there been six body bags, there would have been a much different Israel today than we have been used to seeing over recent years. This would not have been one more incident, one more operation, one event. And the man who brought this about was one man and that was President Barack Hussein Obama.

And I believe it is our duty as Israelis, as citizens of the free world, to say, not simply thank you President Obama, but also we respect you for the way and the manner in which you took this decision.”

http://www.israelpolicyforum.org/blog/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"...

8)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Obama is a tremendous leader. 

He leads all other Presidents in creating debt....in unemployment...in regulation....in partisanship....in vacations....in whining...in blaming everybody else for his failures...and in consecutive rounds of golf while in a national or international crisis. 

A true historic leader.......even liberals can't afford 4 more years of his "leadership."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"...:
    [QUOTE]Obama is a tremendous leader.  He leads all other Presidents in creating debt....in unemployment...in regulation....in partisanship....in vacations....in whining...in blaming everybody else for his failures...and in consecutive rounds of golf while in a national or international crisis.  A true historic leader.......even liberals can't afford 4 more years of his "leadership."
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

I know we can place certain posters here on "ignore", but you seem to have found the BDC's "ignore topic entirely" button.

Ignore it if you want, but it's precisely situations like this one in cairo that explode your canned, tired gripes you've been repeating ever since you declared the man "unelectable"....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"...:
    [QUOTE]Last night at Israel Policy Forum's symposium in New York on "Security and the New Middle East," former Director of the Mossad Efraim Halevy spoke directly about President Obama's efforts to "extricate" the six Israelis trapped inside the Israeli embassy in Cairo last Friday night: “We’ve been talking these days about Turkey and about Egypt. And I would like to say something about the event which took place last Friday evening or through the night in Cairo, which I think to a large extent was a seminal event, not only in the history of the Middle East but also in the history of the relations between Israel and Egypt, and between Israel and the United States of America. During that night, as you know, our embassy was surrounded and was on the verge of being stormed.  And the Prime Minister went to the special command center in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and from there he actually ran and commanded this operation of trying to extricate our staff from the embassy. And, at the end, there were six people left, six people of the security detail of the embassy.  They were there inside the last room, which had been the ultimate room in the embassy. And, they had one steel door, which was between them and the mob. And the Prime Minister took many very, very important decisions that night. Successful decisions, very responsible decisions.  And for that he has been lauded, and rightly so I think by the public in Israel and by the population at large for his cool and his measured way of handling this crisis. But one of the decisions he had to take in the end, he wanted to take, was to find ways of extricating his people, our people, out of that embassy. And he turned to one man, to the President of the United States, and he spoke to him. And the president of the United States, without having much time to consult with Congress, and with the media, and with the analysts and with all of the other people who have to be consulted on major and grave decisions. He took a decision to take up the telephone and get on the line with the powers that be in Egypt, and get them to order the release of these six people, and the detail of the Egyptian commando forces entered and saved them. I think that this decision by President Obama was a unique decision in many ways. Because I don’t have to tell you, and this was just said time and time and over again this afternoon/this evening, that the United States is not in a position the way it was many years ago in the Middle East, it has its problems, it has its considerations, and rightly so. But I believe the leadership that the President of the United States showed on that night was a leadership of historic dimensions. It was he who took the ultimate decision that night which prevented what could have been a sad outcome—instead of six men coming home, the arrival in Israel of six body bags. And I want to say to you very openly and very clearly that had there been six body bags, there would have been a much different Israel today than we have been used to seeing over recent years. This would not have been one more incident, one more operation, one event. And the man who brought this about was one man and that was President Barack Hussein Obama. And I believe it is our duty as Israelis, as citizens of the free world, to say, not simply thank you President Obama, but also we respect you for the way and the manner in which you took this decision.” http://www.israelpolicyforum.org/blog/
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

You find it comforting that the President can pick up the phone and call the Muslim Brotherhood and get them to do something?  Are you insane?  All this shows is a distinct possibility that Obama is in cahoots with radical Islam.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt the right is this very second workout a way to turn this example of leadership into supposed liberal hypocrisy and non-leadership. Maybe they'll trot out "throat-ramming"? Congress wasn't consulted after all, and one party has a serious oral fixation.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they'll try to claim the former mossad director is an anti-semite for declaring how much of a friend to israel POTUS is, but we'll see as we get closer to next week's GA...

The part that stands out for me is what might have happened if those diplomats hadn't made it out of there alive. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"... : Perhaps they'll try to claim the former mossad director is an anti-semite for declaring how much of a friend to israel POTUS is, but we'll see as we get closer to next week's GA... The part that stands out for me is what might have happened if those diplomats hadn't made it out of there alive. 

Or, perhaps Israel leadership was a bit taken aback by how the cozy relationship between Obama and The Muslim Brotherhood that allowed such a conversation to take place.

I doubt Israel, which is under attack daily from Hamas and Hezbolla, was wringing their hands like little school children.  They know the world is a bad place.  This was clearly a message to demonstrate their concern about Obama's ability to reach out to terrorists so easily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"... : The first rule of persuasive writing is that when the writer uses the term "clearly," the issue is usually anything but.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

uh huh.  Clearly you are wrong, and seek to make me the issue, not Obama's high level of comfort with a suspect radical organization.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

The only thing Obama can lead is the marching band of fools behind him.
    Who is on the skin flute this week?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"... : Or, perhaps Israel leadership was a bit taken aback by how the cozy relationship between Obama and The Muslim Brotherhood that allowed such a conversation to take place. I doubt Israel, which is under attack daily from Hamas and Hezbolla, was wringing their hands like little school children.  They know the world is a bad place.  This was clearly a message to demonstrate their concern about Obama's ability to reach out to terrorists so easily.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

From a quicker mind, I might dismiss this as sarcasm, but I know that you're incapable, so I'll just reiterate,

you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about re: israel and foreign relations...

Mr. Haleva has a bit more gravitas than you think on these issues.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Obama apparently showed some leadership in this situation.
    With all due respect, in the grand scheme of things this is small stuff.
    He is still very likely and justifiably going to lose his reelection bid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0ftsquash. Show s0ftsquash's posts

for all you kool-aid gulpers who voted for the BarryO thinking the muslim world will love us, no refunds. He is considered an apostate because of his "conversion?" away from Islam. Yes he did live with step-daddy (a muslim) for a while in Indonesia.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Obama apparently showed some leadership in this situation. With all due respect, in the grand scheme of things this is small stuff. He is still very likely and justifiably going to lose his reelection bid.
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

Maybe in narrow presidential election terms it doesn't mean much, but given the issues of palestinian statehood and the arab spring about to be considered next week at the UN, this isn't just "small stuff".

Ultimately, it just further discredits the falsehood that Obama is "not a friend of israel".  How much political weight it gives him on foreign policy (if not with the righty christianist base), we'll see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

It was the right thing to do, but hardly a Kennedy Profiles in Courage Award action.  it was a phone call asking Egypt to do the right and smart thing before this escalated out of control.  So the world is lfortunate that Egypt responded correctly to the call before war broke out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

BWAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dude seriously, get under the bed quick, the 'copters are getting closer!

Sorry Gertrude... YOU better get under the bed.. the ELECTIONS are getting closer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]It was the right thing to do, but hardly a Kennedy Profiles in Courage Award action.  it was a phone call asking Egypt to do the right and smart thing before this escalated out of control.  So the world is lfortunate that Egypt responded correctly to the call before war broke out.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

Again, it's a matter of perspective.  To you, it's not much.

To the former mossad director, it's a big enough deal to warrant a public declaration.

And again, how much it ends up mattering to israel, cairo, the middle east and the american electorate remains to be seen.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

POTUS managed to avoid all out war in the Middle East.

Rightttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"... : Again, it's a matter of perspective.  To you, it's not much. To the former mossad director, it's a big enough deal to warrant a public declaration. And again, how much it ends up mattering to israel, cairo, the middle east and the american electorate remains to be seen.

It was important to publicly point out that the US/Isreal relationship is strong, when Obama's resolve has been questioned lately.  The real ballsy move would have been to order a Seal Team 6 intervention if the Egyptians said they couldn't act.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama showed "leadership of historic dimensions"... : Wow, whacko wingnuts dismissing the fact that POTUS managed to avoid all out war in the Middle East. Apparently they're only happy when their loser-leaders get us INTO wars that the wingnuts have no idea how to fight or win. Incredible. Oh well, just another example of the chickenhawks rearing their ugly heads. Pathetic.
    Posted by airborne-rgr[/QUOTE]

There is no prize when you're doing what is expected.  He did the right thing he called Egyptian authorities who are on speed dial and they had a chat.

Sections
Shortcuts