Obama signs Hate Crimes Legislation!!! I don't get it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Obama signs Hate Crimes Legislation!!! I don't get it.

Obama signed a "Hate" Crimes Bill yesterday that makes it a federal crime to assault an individual because of his or her sexual orientation or gender identity.

Forgive me but isn't it already a crime in every state in the union to assault anyone???

I don't get it.  Why the extra special treatment???  If you are beating the stuffing out of a gay guy for being gay, why is that worse than beating up a Yankee fan who accidently wanders onto Yawkee Way in October??  Or a gang of moonbats beating up a US Marine who wanders into Harvard Square???

Seems redundant and just a bit silly doesn't it???  If it's already illegal to do something why do we have to make it "extra" illegal??  Are we pandering to a specific group for votes Mr. President???  Surely he has more important things to do.

How about enforcing the laws we already have on the books that are causing even greater damage to our nation like illegal immigration????

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Re: Obama signs Hate Crimes Legislation!!! I don't get it.

In Response to Re: Obama signs Hate Crimes Legislation!!! I don't get it.:
    [QUOTE]Well, its veto proof.  Yes its redundant, but there are already fed hate crime laws on the books, so I don't have much of a problem with including sexual orientation. The upside that the mighty liberals overlook is, that if someone kills a homosexual in Massachusetts and the fed steps in on hate crime bias, then the death penalty is in play.  I wonder how many of the anti-DP libs thought of that?
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Good point on the death penalty but really??...every time a crime is committed in Provincetown will the feds have to investigate????  If you and I enter a life of crime, we need to make sure we pick our targets carefully.  I guess if we stick to only assaulting white, christian males who are married to a woman and have jobs and pay taxes it will be okay.   

The whole idea is silly....by virtue of assaulting someone don't you already "hate" them???

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

"The whole idea is silly....by virtue of assaulting someone don't you already "hate" them???"

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

Why does it matter WHY I assualt you? Whether I assault you because I didn't like something you said or I assault you because you're gay, in either case I assaulted you. In either case I committed a crime. Why does it matter what the motive was? In either case what I did was wrong. End of story. Arrest me, charge me and give me whatever penalty comes with assualting ANY human being.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

i guess the thinking would be getting into say a bar fight and assualting someone is different than walking around, hating gay people, and attacking them all willy-nilly just b/c you don't agree with their lifestyles. fights happen for many reasons, but to assualt someone who did nothing to you simply b/c of their orientation is different.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

Is it a hate crime if you attack BECAUSE they are (by coincidence) gay or because you hate gays (which implies proving intent).

Don't see how the extra penalties provide any extra protections

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]i guess the thinking would be getting into say a bar fight and assualting someone is different than walking around, hating gay people, and attacking them all willy-nilly just b/c you don't agree with their lifestyles. fights happen for many reasons, but to assualt someone who did nothing to you simply b/c of their orientation is different.
    Posted by scauma82[/QUOTE]

Most times there is absolutely no good reason when one assaults someone. Especially in a bar. More than likely it was someone being a stupid drunk. MANY fights happen where one person did nothing to the other one. Happens all the time.
    Sure it's not right for someone to target a gay person and assault them. So arrest them, charge them and give them the penalty for assault. Again, why does it have to be different? What happens if one gets in an argument and assaults someone and then it turns out the person who was assaulted happens to be gay? Can that now be considered a "hate" crime? Where does it end? What's next....if someone yells out the word "fa99ot" will that be grounds for arrest? For all I know maybe is already. Wouldn't surprise me.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[QUOTE]i guess the thinking would be getting into say a bar fight and assualting someone is different than walking around, hating gay people, and attacking them all willy-nilly just b/c you don't agree with their lifestyles. fights happen for many reasons, but to assualt someone who did nothing to you simply b/c of their orientation is different.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, scauma, as to why such "hate crime" laws exist. But it's hard to refute what the others posters are saying, especially since, if someone is wacky enough to beat the tar out of someone just because of their lifestyle, they aren't going to stop because it's "extra-illegal".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"How about if I have A windows 7 PC and I assalut you because you have a MAC."...Chiefhowie

Some especially passionate Geek might say you deserved it, especially if you were "flaunting" your "gift".  But I'm not technically savvy enough myself to say for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyffromNH. Show TeddyffromNH's posts

Where does it say heterosexuals are protected equally?  I dont think implying it will is enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

What about the guy who walks down Yawkee Way at 11pm with a Yankees hat and Jeter shirt, minding his own business who encounters three drunk BC kids from Southie???  How is that on the hate scale relative to the gays??  Any more or less stupid, ignorant or illegal???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

If it was legal to beat up gay people and Obama made it illegal then I think it makes sense.  It is already illegal to beat up a person.  Now it's the responsibility of the feds to investigate every crime against a gay person???  And forgive me, this is crude but won't every defense attorney now be asking the prosecution to prove that the victim was actually gay???  And how will that be proved in court???  What qualifies as gay??  An attraction??  A specific behavior??  All out marriage???

These are questions that will be raised that make this legislation appear more and more foolish at every turn.

I want 'hate crime' legislation that protects conservative white males from people in Cambridge.  I seek equality!!!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

The gay community's goal has always been for special rights, not equal rights.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama signs Hate Crimes Legislation!!! I don't get it. : There are no BC kids from Southie
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Anything is possible when being hypothetical.....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama signs Hate Crimes Legislation!!! I don't get it. : Racist Are you saying that Irish brains aren't genetically smart enough to qualify for BC
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

If a kid named McCarthy from Southie is walking down Salem Street in the North End to get a canoli and he gets jumped by Anthony and Mario from Hanover Street, is THAT a hate crime?????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Are crimes in the name of sexuality somehow more violent than other assaults???  I am asking a serious question.  This could be justification in my eyes for this type of legislation.

I'm just pointing out the silliness of this politically correct movement.

By the way...my kid brought her costume to public school and they are having a Halloween Costume parade today!!!!  Take that anti-Halloween spoil sports!!!!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevilinBoston. Show DevilinBoston's posts

This is about punishing speech, plain and simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

It may inhibit free speech, no question, but the main idea behind "hate crimes" legislation is to strengthen the federal government vis a vis the states.
    Murder is a horrific crime, but of course traditionally the local and state government had the primary role of crime fighting and prosecution.

Now literally any time a minority or person from a protected class is assaulted or murdered, it may at least in theory be investigated as a "federal case".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

What are the limits of expressing ones self relative to gays and hate speech?
    What defines hate speech?
    Is it defined or subjective to the judges?

Anita Bryant had it right.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts