Obama to Latino Town Hall: Cut Cable, Cell Phone to Afford ACA Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Obama to Latino Town Hall: Cut Cable, Cell Phone to Afford ACA Plan

Speaking to Spanish-language media health care town hall meeting last week, President Obama dismissed concerns from a low-income man that the monthly premiums for the cheapest plans were too expensive for his family to afford. The president said the man should "prioritize health care" and cut spending on things like cable, cell phone, and other things to afford insurance.

The host of the town hall read the following to the president:

This question here comes from a gentleman who says that, yes, he wanted Obamacare for a family of three. He says, "I make about $36,000 per year. The minimum amount is $350 per month. I think that's too much for me." That's a question from this gentleman here.

Who then responded, naturally, by blaming the consumer instead of the unaffordability of the "Affordable" Care Act plans.

I guess what I would say, if you looked at that person's budget, and you looked at their cable bill, their cell phone bill, other things that they're spending on, it may turn out that it's just they haven't prioritized health care because right now everybody is healthy.

I don't think it's likely that someone who makes around $36,000 a year is subscribed to premium cable channels and expensive cell phone coverage. Unlike the current health insurance market, affordable alternatives to expensive plans for cell phones exist. At Walmart, a consumer can purchase home telephone service for $15 a month, or could buy unlimited cell phone service for six months for only $249.99. That breaks down to about $41.50 a month for cell phone (and, by virtue of a smartphone, which can be purchased for around $50) and internet service. That's far less expensive than over $300 a month for health insurance, plus the plans with lower premiums carry comparatively highdeductibles. Even if the premiums were subsidized via some sort of credit, it's still asking quite a lot of a person to pay the equivalent of a seventh of their income before the plan even kicks in. Also: the man asking the question is healthy.

This is just another example of President Obama being condescending and out of touch.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: Obama to Latino Town Hall: Cut Cable, Cell Phone to Afford ACA Plan

Whats condescending in his answer?

sheeeeesh......You conservatives were a lot easier to tolerate when you advocated personal responsibility.   What happened? 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Four of the Obama Leghumper Brigades are fully heard from, one after another , in one thread...what a thrill to hear such wit and logic...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we wait long enough the whacko wingnuts will go full-progressive in response to their hatred for Obama.

This is just HILARIOUS to watch ... wingnuts now want to make sure everyone has 2 TVs and 2 cellphones ... next up, a car for everyone.

[/QUOTE]

Obama should have just said, his Administration has made sure that you have a cell phone for free, the Obamaphone! Millions have gotten one, courtesy of those who work....

Nov 2013: Fraud and abuse in the Obamaphone program exceeded two million subscribers.....billions n fraud....A review of five top recipients of Lifeline support conducted by the FCC for the Journal showed that 41% [almost 2.5 million] of their more than six million subscribers either couldn't demonstrate their eligibility or didn't respond to requests for certification.

The cell phone providers making millions from taxpayers  did not check for duplicate phones given to the same household....

A car for everyone?   Look to Cars for Clunkers, another Obama success story...snark.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

Woah, nothing like some partisan politicking to get the wingnuts to flip/flop like mackrel on the deck of a boat.

I guess now poor people shouldn't have any personal responsibility ...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for some reason when it comes to Obamacare, someone that is healthy and doesn't need it should still be forced to buy and "be responsible". I am surprised you can even get those words out on a keyboard without collapsing.

When it comes to any other benefit, your beloved government does nothing to make sure poor people are "responsible". Why that would be an invasion of privacy or some bullsheet like that.

Is Obama going to tell somepoor person to dump his cell phone and cable so he can buy food for his family instead of coming to the taxpayer for a bail out?

No way. What a hypocrite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Let them eat burritos cake.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

If we wait long enough the whacko wingnuts will go full-progressive in response to their hatred for Obama.

This is just HILARIOUS to watch ... wingnuts now want to make sure everyone has 2 TVs and 2 cellphones ... next up, a car for everyone.

Which "wingnuts" want everyone to have a car and two TVs and two cellphones?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Woah, nothing like some partisan politicking to get the wingnuts to flip/flop like mackrel on the deck of a boat.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for some reason when it comes to Obamacare, someone that is healthy and doesn't need it should still be forced to buy and "be responsible". I am surprised you can even get those words out on a keyboard without collapsing.

When it comes to any other benefit, your beloved government does nothing to make sure poor people are "responsible". Why that would be an invasion of privacy or some bullsheet like that.

Is Obama going to tell somepoor person to dump his cell phone and cable so he can buy food for his family instead of coming to the taxpayer for a bail out?

[/QUOTE]

Obviously you don't understand the purpose of insurance and the concept of how it works.

It is rather amusing that you chide Obama for not saying exactly what he did say.

Incredible.

Here's a freebie: Look up 'cognitive dissonance' and try to at least understand that concept.

Heh, heh, heh ... is this another 'lie' ... like the deportation numbers you ran away from with your tail tucked.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how insurance works?? You're the idiot when it comes to insurance. 

Only in health care is insurance used for routine expenses. You don't use your car insurance to pay for an oil change.

Only in health care insurance does the insurer take on an insured knowing they have will have claims from a specific condition to be covered.

Only in health care insurance is the insured not responsible for personal behavior and actions  that directly contribute to claims.

Only in health care insurance is the concept of protection against financial disaster from unforeseen circumstances thrown out the window. People like you and whatthe bleep doI wantnow insist the healthcare insurance cover people who knowingly and willingly abuse their health and then come running for help when they get cancer from smoking, type 2 diabetes from eating craapp and sitting on the coach - all of which is quite predicatable. In car insurance you get a penalty for behaving badly, not in your health "insurance" scheme.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Which "wingnuts" want everyone to have a car and two TVs and two cellphones?

---------------------------

Ah....so that would be NO ONE. Gotcha! 

How ironic the person who accuses others of lying is...well...lying...yet again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Obviously you don't understand the purpose of insurance and the concept of how it works.

It is rather amusing that you chide Obama for not saying exactly what he did say.

Incredible.

Here's a freebie: Look up 'cognitive dissonance' and try to at least understand that concept.

Heh, heh, heh ... is this another 'lie' ... like the deportation numbers you ran away from with your tail tucked.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how insurance works?? You're the idiot when it comes to insurance. 

Only in health care is insurance used for routine expenses. You don't use your car insurance to pay for an oil change.

Only in health care insurance does the insurer take on an insured knowing they have will have claims from a specific condition to be covered.

Only in health care insurance is the insured not responsible for personal behavior and actions  that directly contribute to claims.

Only in health care insurance is the concept of protection against financial disaster from unforeseen circumstances thrown out the window. People like you and whatthe bleep doI wantnow insist the healthcare insurance cover people who knowingly and willingly abuse their health and then come running for help when they get cancer from smoking, type 2 diabetes from eating craapp and sitting on the coach - all of which is quite predicatable. In car insurance you get a penalty for behaving badly, not in your health "insurance" scheme.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty longwinded way to demonstrate that you don't know how health insurance works or why its important.

hint....not all medical conditions are a result of bad behavior. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incredible.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty longwinded way to demonstrate that you don't know how health insurance works or why its important.

[/QUOTE]

True. But many are as a result of bad behavior yet we do nothing to discourage it. There is a show in its 2nd season...SECOND season...called 'My 600 lb Life'. Yup, you read that right....600 lbs. The fact that we have enough people who weigh that much to even have one season is reprehensible. On top of this we have shows like The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss. Point being is we have way too many people who weigh 400+ lbs in this country.

Add to these people the idiot smokers and heavy drinkers and we have all sorts of medical conditions brought on by peoples' bad behaviors that people like myself are paying for. It's one thing to pay for people who get sick through no fault of their own. I have no problem with that. But to subsidize people for making themselves unhealthy is a joke. Now, I get that we have to, I certainly don't think people should be left to die. But there should be some kind of penalty/higher premiums that people who are obese or smoke should have to pay.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incredible.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True. But many are as a result of bad behavior yet we do nothing to discourage it. There is a show in its 2nd season...SECOND season...called 'My 600 lb Life'. Yup, you read that right....600 lbs. The fact that we have enough people who weigh that much to even have one season is reprehensible. On top of this we have shows like The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss. Point being is we have way too many people who weigh 400+ lbs in this country.

Add to these people the idiot smokers and heavy drinkers and we have all sorts of medical conditions brought on by peoples' bad behaviors that people like myself are paying for. It's one thing to pay for people who get sick through no fault of their own. I have no problem with that. But to subsidize people for making themselves unhealthy is a joke. Now, I get that we have to, I certainly don't think people should be left to die. But there should be some kind of penalty/higher premiums that people who are obese or smoke should have to pay.

[/QUOTE]

No question we have a lot of self-induced health problems in this country.  You'd have to be blind to deny it.

This problem isn't going to fix itself overnight.  Some progress is being made, although there is a long way to go.  As with many of our problems, education is key.  But health insurance and access to doctors is also key.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incredible.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Obviously your reading comprehension is off. I never said that all medical conditions are a result of bad behavior.

I know perfectly well how health insurance works...and how it doesn't.

The obvious fact is that what you are calling insurance is not really insurance. Oh, what a surprise, a librul social program sold on lies!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incredible.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No question we have a lot of self-induced health problems in this country.  You'd have to be blind to deny it.

This problem isn't going to fix itself overnight.  Some progress is being made, although there is a long way to go.  As with many of our problems, education is key.  But health insurance and access to doctors is also key.

[/QUOTE]

Having access to insurance and doctors is not necessarily the key. If that was the key then the 200+ million who already had health insurance and access to doctors wouldn't be obese or smokers. But that's not the case. If it was ONLY those people who had no insurance and access to doctors that were the ones who were obese and smokers then I'd say you have a great argument. But that simply isn't the case.

Consider all of those people who are obese and/or smoke who have been told by their doctor to eat healthier and exercise yet don't. To stop smoking, yet don't. To cut don't on alcohol consumption, yet don't. Education is only good if the person utilizes said education. 

And I'm sorry, but in this day in age, no one needs to have insurance or a doctor to know how bad smoking is. There isn't a person alive that doesn't know how bad smoking is, which all the more boggles my mind why anyone would ever start smoking.

No one needs to have health insurance or a doctor to know being 400 lbs is a bad thing. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

There is no way objective way to ensure people live a healthy lifestyle. Simple things like riding a bike have health benefits but they also come with their own level of risks. You would have to be able to price plans according to where a person rides their bike. If they ride in the city vs suburbs, bike paths vs none, extreme x-cross or easy trails. What you want is an omniscient insurer who could follow you everyday and monitor your actions. That's just ridiculous.

The same holds true for diet. There is no way to monitor a persons eating habits and that alone doesn't guarantee health. Same with exercise.

And charging a higher premium from smoking is permissable, even under ACA.

[/QUOTE]

How could a plan monitor smoking? If diet can't be monitored, then how could smoking be monitored? 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is no way objective way to ensure people live a healthy lifestyle. Simple things like riding a bike have health benefits but they also come with their own level of risks. You would have to be able to price plans according to where a person rides their bike. If they ride in the city vs suburbs, bike paths vs none, extreme x-cross or easy trails. What you want is an omniscient insurer who could follow you everyday and monitor your actions. That's just ridiculous.

The same holds true for diet. There is no way to monitor a persons eating habits and that alone doesn't guarantee health. Same with exercise.

[/QUOTE]

How could a plan monitor smoking? If diet can't be monitored, then how could smoking be monitored? 

[/QUOTE]

We do it where I work, but its really an honor system.  Each employee is required to attest to their smoking habits annually.   Employee premiums are $600/yr more expensive for smokers, which can be waived if you participate in 3 smoking cessation counciling sessions which are provided free by our insurer.  I suspect most smokers just lie on their form to avoid the hassle and expense.

I wish HR would bust a few of these scofflaws and take the $600 back thru wage garnishment.  At any given time you can see a few smokers just outside our company property during business hours.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We do it where I work, but its really an honor system.  Each employee is required to attest to their smoking habits annually.   Employee premiums are $600/yr more expensive for smokers, which can be waived if you participate in 3 smoking cessation counciling sessions which are provided free by our insurer.  I suspect most smokers just lie on their form to avoid the hassle and expense.

I wish HR would bust a few of these scofflaws and take the $600 back thru wage garnishment.  At any given time you can see a few smokers just outside our company property during business hours.

[/QUOTE]

"but its really an honor system"

Exactly. So it CAN'T actually be truly monitored. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"but its really an honor system"

Exactly. So it CAN'T actually be truly monitored. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it can't be done. 

I wouldn't doubt if there are some hard-line companies out there that test for it randomly, like drugs and alcohol.