Obama: "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Obama: "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago."

Wow!!! 

Obama was a pot smoking teenager who was thrown out of a few schools and who is apparently admitting to pre-emptively punching someone in the face, knocking them down, beating them and attempting to kill them by repeatedly smashing their head into concrete???

Is that what he was saying???

Really Mr President??  Why are you still supporting the aggressor in this case and not the victim?? 

I wonder if he is backing Jesse Jackson in calling for the United Nations to investigate the US for human rights violations in response to the Zimmerman verdict too!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Re: Obama:

when will Obama stop feeding into the nonsense that people are victims and encourage them to change their behaviors and act responsibly....

the best way to reverse a negative stereotype is to encourage people to behave in a manner that is positive and opposite of that stereo type.

this president has let the african community down in a major way...he should be ashamed of himself....he could have done so much good...instead all he does is divide....sad...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Obama is dividing the people.  In a case, where race wasn't an issue, he is pitting white against black, which not only is shameful, but the case was Hispanic against black.

Obama: are you president of all the people, or only some of the people?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am sure the President's remarks resonated with many people. I am sure his previous comment about the fact that Martin could have been his son resonated with a lot of parents.

Wow..so Martin possibly smoked pot sometime in the weeks before Zimmerman murdered him. Good God..that describes a million other people in the US.  I guess Martin possibly smoking pot at some point in the weeks before his murder is proof that Martin was a criminal who "deserved what he got"...is that what the OP is suggesting?

Is the OP suggesting that because Treyvon Martin "talked smack" like a typical 17 year old..that he "deserved what he got"? Cause..that's certainly what the tone of his post sounds like.

Marvin was "tossed out of several schools"?? No..he was suspended from school 3 times. Once for being excessively late, once for spraypainting a locker and once..a few weeks prior because he had a baggie that contained marijuana residue.

No one knows who was the agressor in this situation. We've only heard one side. Martin is dead...so he never gets to tell his side. The OP is making the same assumptions Zimmerman did on that tragic night...assumptions which resulted in the death of a 17 year old.

But...I guess he "asked for it"...right?

Anyone see the interview with Treycon's parents? I am guessing not...because the truth would hurt.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I am sure the President's remarks resonated with many people. I am sure his previous comment about the fact that Martin could have been his son resonated with a lot of parents.

Wow..so Martin possibly smoked pot sometime in the weeks before Zimmerman murdered him. Good God..that describes a million other people in the US.  I guess Martin possibly smoking pot at some point in the weeks before his murder is proof that Martin was a criminal who "deserved what he got"...is that what the OP is suggesting?

Is the OP suggesting that because Treyvon Martin "talked smack" like a typical 17 year old..that he "deserved what he got"? Cause..that's certainly what the tone of his post sounds like.

Marvin was "tossed out of several schools"?? No..he was suspended from school 3 times. Once for being excessively late, once for spraypainting a locker and once..a few weeks prior because he had a baggie that contained marijuana residue.

No one knows who was the agressor in this situation. We've only heard one side. Martin is dead...so he never gets to tell his side. The OP is making the same assumptions Zimmerman did on that tragic night...assumptions which resulted in the death of a 17 year old.

Anyone see the interview with Treycon's parents? I am guessing not...because the truth would hurt.

cricket,

I wish everybody would watch the interview with Trayvon's parents.

What a dignified, article couple as the spoke about their dead son.

I was impressed as well as humbled by this couple. I did not know what I expected but they far exceeded my expectations.

Less we forget, their son was killed in August of 2011. So just short of two years and they have remained silent. Then they received the news of outright acquital for the man who shot and killed their son. A man who has shown no remorse for this killing.

No cries for justice, no disparaging the players in court, no anything many people probably expected.

Take time to watch it. So many of you have invested a good deal of time in this marqee case. This interview is a part of the overall picture.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Or him about 65 years ago !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Read up on it.  He would have been arrested for those "suspensions" if not for the lax enforcement standards at the schools.  Possesion of burglary tools? 

You are downplaying Trayvons real past to suit your political ends.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Sister, somehow I don't think that he would have been okay with that image.

Here is his niece on the subject:

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s niece expressed her dissatisfaction on Monday with the NAACP, saying it’s “race baiting” by calling for a federal civil rights investigation into George Zimmerman.

“It is not helpful to race-bait,” Dr. Alveda King said on “The Steve Malzberg Show” on Newsmax TV.

“[The] NAACP and all of the organizations … We need to wonder why they’re doing that, what kind of checks and money they’re getting behind the scenes to stir us up into racial anarchy.

“We should be speaking nonviolence, justice, peace and love as Trayvon’s parents are doing, by the way. So we need to ask why they’re race baiting, because they are.”

Zimmerman was found not guilty late Saturday night in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. The acquittal gained worldwide attention and sparked nationwide protests for those who support the slain teen. The NAACP argues that Zimmerman violated Martin’s civil rights, by targeting him because he was black.

“There’s no black race, white race, yellow race and red race,” Ms. King continued. “The other thing is, Mr. Zimmerman is not a Caucasian. He’s a Hispanic. The media is somehow forgetting that, so [there are] all of these nuances, all of the race-baiting, all of the pain.”

“Stop thinking that this is a race thing between separate races,” she added. “This is all human beings here. If we’re still feeling that one part of our community is better than the other because of skin color, that’s got to change right now

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/17/alveda-king-mlks-niece-says-stop-race-baiting-zimm/#ixzz2ZaIUYAVg
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I thought his remarks were very honest. I think whether or not most of us want to believe it..the things he said about being an African American boy or male in this country are true.  Though we've come an incredibly long way in this country towards racial equality...we are not there yet. I see evidence of this every day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

As Charles Krauthammer pointed out, Obama's divisive remarks were nothing but a crude  "consolation prize" for his leftist zealot supporters like Al Sharpton.

Truth is, even the excreable Eric Holder realized that it would be impossible to bring a federal civil rights action against Zimmerman, because there is ZERO evidence race played a role.

So, instead, you got Obama massaging his ego, giving us the usual stale leftist platitudes about race, and the media uncritically and worshipfully praising him for his "honesty".

The President saying, "I could be Trayvon Martin" was obnoxious and will have a negative impact on his approval ratings...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

As Charles Krauthammer pointed out, Obama's divisive remarks were nothing but a crude  "consolation prize" for his leftist zealot supporters like Al Sharpton.

Truth is, even the excreable Eric Holder realized that it would be impossible to bring a federal civil rights action against Zimmerman, because there is ZERO evidence race played a role.

So, instead, you got Obama massaging his ego, giving us the usual stale leftist platitudes about race, and the media uncritically and worshipfully praising him for his "honesty".

The President saying, "I could be Trayvon Martin" was obnoxious and will have a negative impact on his approval ratings...

Only with the narrow minded

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Let's be clear (snicker):

He didn't say Martin could have been his son,  he said his mythical son would look like Trayvon.

Now, what can we infer this to mean?

Perhaps the president believes that all black people look the same . . .  or maybe he believes that people who look like him are somehow more important than people who do not look like him . . .  or maybe -- just maybe, mind you -- believes in absolutley nothing at all and is a creaturel constructed entirely out of political expedience (no matter how skewed those politics might be).

Personally, I like to believe that a comment that would be considered racist if I said it is equally racist if the president (or anyone else) says it.

But that's just me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I thought his remarks were very honest. I think whether or not most of us want to believe it..the things he said about being an African American boy or male in this country are true.  Though we've come an incredibly long way in this country towards racial equality...we are not there yet. I see evidence of this every day.

His remarks, if he really meant them, i.e. were not cooked up by some handler, then shows that even he hasn't escaped the handcuffs of victimization, in other words, what ever his faults are, they were done to him, by "the man", and therefore, the man has got to pay.

And this guy is president, saying these things.  Absolutely saddening beyond belief.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

Wow!!! 

Obama was a pot smoking teenager who was thrown out of a few schools and who is apparently admitting to pre-emptively punching someone in the face, knocking them down, beating them and attempting to kill them by repeatedly smashing their head into concrete???

Is that what he was saying???

Really Mr President??  Why are you still supporting the aggressor in this case and not the victim?? 

I wonder if he is backing Jesse Jackson in calling for the United Nations to investigate the US for human rights violations in response to the Zimmerman verdict too!!!!

Do you know something machn1 I bet you and I had more in commom with Martin's way of life than I do with most white kids that grew up during the 60's and 70's ..... I was nothing more than a " White Violence Kid On Dope " whose life was turned around by a judge who advised me on a career change and enlist into the Corps

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I have no problem with what the President said.  I am pretty sure the President was remembering times when he was being followed by some clown for no apparent reason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Obama's divisive remarks

The people who most often use the word "divisive" are, unsuprisingly, projecting.

How does a hispanic person relate to a black president who has spoken at least three times on race in legal cases, and each and every time, blindly siding with the black person?

The police acted stupidly

If I had a son, he would look like trayvon

I am trayvon

What Obama lacks is the desire to represent all Americans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I have no problem with what the President said.  I am pretty sure the President was remembering times when he was being followed by some clown for no apparent reason.

Sure, keep telling yourself that.

How about he elevate the discussion to a better place rather than be down in the mud with the race-baiters?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

His remark about the CPD was pretty bad and most likely cost Martha the backing of many unions within the CPD.

His remarks about Travon were fine and I have even been followed by a few wanna be gun carrying nuts.  In the 70's I was even denied seating in Marblehead because my date was of color.

His remarks about Travon most likely did good and were the words some people needed to hear.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Anyone of us could have been Martin. Young black men aren't the only ones who get shot to death. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

How about he elevate the discussion to a better place rather than be down in the mud with the race-baiters?

so skeeter doesn't think a conversation about racism in the USA would be valuable .... next skeeter will be telling us it was Martin's our fault for getting shot by a whack job and it had nothing do with the whack job's racial profiling of Martin .

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

What Obama lacks is the desire to represent all Americans.

Says the fellow who defended the 47% remark.

Nothing wrong with the 47% remark.  in fact, more than 47% voted against Romney.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

so skeeter doesn't think a conversation about racism in the USA would be valuable .... next skeeter will be telling us it was Martin's our fault for getting shot by a whack job and it had nothing do with the whack job's racial profiling of Martin .

No, I think a conversation would be most valuable.  I am sick of the conversation starting in a place that no longer exists, the America of fifty years ago.  you do the race conversation a big disservice by assuming nothing has changed. 

Clinging to the hurt and racism of the past doesn't advance the conversation.  It keeps it hopelessly stuck in the past.  Time to move on, to the present situation, where the faults of the past have been largely addressed, and the hop and change for the future requires a dropping of the shackles of perpetual/preemptive victimhood.

Now, let me address your comments on how I think about Trayvon Martin and your claim that I will be blaming Trayvon next.  This is a prime example of the victimhood you bring to the discussion.  You don't even know Trayvon, yet you attach to the harm done to him like a lamprey eel.  Let it go, Sister.  it has nothing to do with you. Don't steal this tragedy for your own political ends. 

Sections
Shortcuts