Obamacare Causing Nearly Half Of Small Businesses To Freeze Hiring

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Obamacare Causing Nearly Half Of Small Businesses To Freeze Hiring

Small business owners' fear of the effect of the new health-care reform law on their bottom line is prompting many to hold off on hiring and even to shed jobs in some cases, a recent poll found.

"We were startled because we know that employers were concerned about the Affordable Care Act and the effects it would have on their business, but we didn't realize the extent they were concerned, or that the businesses were being proactive to make sure the effects of the ACA actually were minimized," said attorney Steven Friedman of Littler Mendelson. His firm, which specializes in employment law, commissioned the Gallup poll.

"If the small businesses' fears are reasonable, then it could mean that the small business sector grows slower than what economic conditions otherwise would indicate. And small businesses have been a growth engine in the economy," Friedman told CNBC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/19/obamacare-small-business-hiring_n_3468498.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: Obamacare Causing Nearly Half Of Small Businesses To Freeze Hiring

If, you didnt see that coming then you do not pay attention; businesses are also cutting hours for employees to fall under part timers!

Thanks Pelosi and Reid for shoving this debacle through!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

A tribute to the success of the right wing propaganda machine. 

Obamacare FAVORS small businesses, it doesn't harm them.  Ask these same people specifically what they don't like about the law and i'd bet most have no answer.  They simply parrot what they've been misled to believe. 

Remember...over 60% of republicans still believe Iraq had WMDs despite any proof, and about 40% of them think the president is a muslim.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Obamacare FAVORS small businesses, it doesn't harm them.  Ask these same people specifically what they don't like about the law and i'd bet most have no answer.  They simply parrot what they've been misled to believe. 

Remember...over 60% of republicans still believe Iraq had WMDs despite any proof, and about 40% of them think the president is a muslim.

Hahaha....thanks for the laugh. Much appreciated!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Then why don't you explain to the class why small businesses should be opposed to the law? 

Businesses with under 50 employees will not be required to provide insurance to their employees, but will make it cheaper and easier should they want to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

Then why don't you explain to the class why small businesses should be opposed to the law? 

Businesses with under 50 employees will not be required to provide insurance to their employees, but will make it cheaper and easier should they want to.

[/QUOTE]

You didn't read the article did you? Don't bother answering as I know you didn't based on your above post. Tsk, tsk. Read the article then get back to me

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

You didn't read the article did you? Don't bother answering as I know you didn't based on your above post. Tsk, tsk. Read the article then get back to me

No...I read the article and didn't see a single fact about how the law negatively impacts small businesses..... because it doesn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So, essentially, you're saying that small business owners are stupid. Why don't YOU back up your assertion that they are wrong and that Obamacare favors small businesses?

[QUOTE]Remember...over 60% of republicans still believe Iraq had WMDs despite any proof, and about 40% of them think the president is a muslim.[/QUOTE]

Iraq did have WMD. Over 500 discrete pieces of WMD were recovered after the Iraqi army was defeated. More importantly, Iraq hid away the ability to reconstitute the most lethal of their WMD programs to be resurrected after the heat was off. Saddam had a reasonable expectation that this would happen based on his program to bribe willing Europeans with the massively corrupt "Oil for Food" program. Sadly for him that effort failed. Read the Deuffler report for more facts about Iraqi WMD.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

So, essentially, you're saying that small business owners are stupid. Why don't YOU back up your assertion that they are wrong and that Obamacare favors small businesses?

1.  the law does not require or penalize small businesses (under 50 employees) to purchase insurance for their employees.

2.  The law provides subsidies and tax credits for companies who choose to buy into an exchange program for their employees.

These are the only 2 things that small businesses need to know, and its clearly a good deal for them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

No...I read the article and didn't see a single fact about how the law negatively impacts small businesses..... because it doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Oh well...if you say so. Guess you know more than all of those people who own a small business. You should consult them. I mean you obviously know more about small businesses than they do. 

"I can't say that the fears appear overstated, because the potential for big problems seems rather large," Friedman said about law's implementation.

"We don't know until 2014 and beyond what the impact of the ACA will be on businesses," he said. "There is tremendous fear that the premiums will be much higher, for small businesses especially. At this point we can't look a client straight in the eye and say, 'Don't worry about it. Everything will be fine.' "

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Oh well...if you say so. Guess you know more than all of those people who own a small business. You should consult them. I mean you obviously know more about small businesses than they do. 

"I can't say that the fears appear overstated, because the potential for big problems seems rather large," Friedman said about law's implementation.

"We don't know until 2014 and beyond what the impact of the ACA will be on businesses," he said. "There is tremendous fear that the premiums will be much higher, for small businesses especially. At this point we can't look a client straight in the eye and say, 'Don't worry about it. Everything will be fine.' "

gee...I wonder where that fear comes from.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

1.  the law does not require or penalize small businesses (under 50 employees) to purchase insurance for their employees.

2.  The law provides subsidies and tax credits for companies who choose to buy into an exchange program for their employees.

These are the only 2 things that small businesses need to know, and its clearly a good deal for them.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize a small business can have more than 50 employees right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

I do....and 96% of them already provide insurance to their employees.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

From the article:

So, it looks like, far from being stupid, these small business owners are taking a look at the big picture and asking themselves whether or not growth will be sustainable in the new business environment. Also, they're certainly worried about growing past the magic "50 employee" number and the new regulations that they would have to comply with and probably wouldn't be able to afford.

--

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

From the article:

So, it looks like, far from being stupid, these small business owners are taking a look at the big picture and asking themselves whether or not growth will be sustainable in the new business environment. Also, they're certainly worried about growing past the magic "50 employee" number and the new regulations that they would have to comply with and probably wouldn't be able to afford.

--

So you think a savvy businessmen would turn down a good opportunity to expand simply to avoid offering workers health insurance?

If the value of the new business is greater than the employer’s share of an insurance plan or a fine, you go for it, right? That’s called capitalism.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Link please. Sorry if I don't take you at your word

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/21/smallbusiness/obamacare/index.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/21/smallbusiness/obamacare/index.html

[/QUOTE]

You realize any of these business can decide to not offer insurance right? Just because most do now doesn't mean it will continue that way. 

But the bigger picture is for those companies that hover at 50 and could expand beyond 50. These are the businesses that are concerned. 

Yea I know...you think they have nothing to worry about. It's all puppy dogs and rainbows. Like I said...you should be a consultant for small businesses with your vast knowledge...you'd make a killing....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

-------------------

Uhm, hello!  Those companies are either freezing at 49 are cutting to 49.  Its what the poll is all about.

Ding!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The SBA defines a small business as:

• Manufacturing: Maximum number of employees may range from 500 to 1500, depending on the type of product manufactured;
    •    Wholesaling: Maximum number of employees may range from 100 to 500 depending on the particular product being provided;

So yes, it DOES affect them

97% of small businesses have less than 50 employees, leaving 3% impacted by the law.  Of that 3%, 96% already provide insurance to their employees.

So yes.....it will impact small businesses negatively.  0.2% of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

The SBA defines a small business as:

• Manufacturing: Maximum number of employees may range from 500 to 1500, depending on the type of product manufactured;
    •    Wholesaling: Maximum number of employees may range from 100 to 500 depending on the particular product being provided;

So yes, it DOES affect them

97% of small businesses have less than 50 employees, leaving 3% impacted by the law.  Of that 3%, 96% already provide insurance to their employees insurance.

So yes.....it will impact small businesses negatively.  0.2% of them.

[/QUOTE]

Oh...so if it's a small amount then fcuk em...who cares about them right? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The triumph of fear over reason continues unabated.

If there's no excuse for voters not to learn civics and try to understand public policy...

...then there's also no excuse for business owners of ANY size not to understand how to weigh the needs and welfare of their employees vs. their bottom line.  If they can't do that, they shouldn't be in business.

And yet another issue in which the media is complicit in the lizard-brained ignorance of its audience....