Obama's 'Tonight Show' Domestic Spying Comments Contradicted By New York Times Story

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Obama's 'Tonight Show' Domestic Spying Comments Contradicted By New York Times Story

New York Times article Thursday revealed previously unreported details about the United States' domestic surveillance program, namely that the NSA is "searching the contents of vast amounts of Americans' e-mail and text communications into and out of the country, hunting for people who mention information about foreigners under surveillance."

Trevor Timm, Freedom of the Press Foundation Executive Director and Electronic Frontier Foundation Director, told HuffPost Live's Ahmed Shihab-Eldin Thursday that the news directly contradicts what President Obama told Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" earlier in the week.

"There is no spying on Americans. We don't have a domestic spying program. What we do have are some mechanisms where we can track a phone number or an email address that we know is connected to some sort of terrorist threat," Obama told Leno.

"That statement is just unbelievable and it reeks of this Orwellian newspeak," Timm told Shihab-Eldin. "When he talks to Jay Leno later in the clip, he says we can't listen to your phone calls or read your emails, and now we know with this New York Timesstory that is plainly not true. It is unfortunate that we have to parse through government statements a dozen times before we actually figure out what they are meaning to say. With all these questions that they get they are obfuscating and deflecting and deceiving the American public."

Previous reports about the NSA have focused on the collection of metadata and call logs, but the NYT story, written by Charlie Savage, details the government's role in "sifting through the contents of what is apparently most e-mails and other text-based communications that cross the border."

"The next step in this whole scandal is to get the NSA to admit they are splitting off communications because that is the only way they could possibly do what they are alleged to do in the New York Times story. We've had evidence of it for years but they have refused to confirm or deny," Timm said. "Now it is finally time for them to come clean."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/obama-tonight-show-domestic-spying_n_3727404.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Obama's 'Tonight Show' Domestic Spying Comments Contradicted By New York Times Story

FortySixAndTwo ..... you are now a whistleblower and you just made their list

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Obama's 'Tonight Show' Domestic Spying Comments Contradicted By New York Times Story

btw .... I just made their list too because I was just caught talking to you

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

FortySixAndTwo ..... you are now a whistleblower and you just made their list

My name in print? I feel like Navin R Johnson now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqqjVyOYmow

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

So, if I reply to your post....

DOH! I'm on the list now as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

New York Times article Thursday revealed previously unreported details about the United States' domestic surveillance program, namely that the NSA is "searching the contents of vast amounts of Americans' e-mail and text communications into and out of the country, hunting for people who mention information about foreigners under surveillance."

Trevor Timm, Freedom of the Press Foundation Executive Director and Electronic Frontier Foundation Director, told HuffPost Live's Ahmed Shihab-Eldin Thursday that the news directly contradicts what President Obama told Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" earlier in the week.

"There is no spying on Americans. We don't have a domestic spying program. What we do have are some mechanisms where we can track a phone number or an email address that we know is connected to some sort of terrorist threat," Obama told Leno.

"That statement is just unbelievable and it reeks of this Orwellian newspeak," Timm told Shihab-Eldin. "When he talks to Jay Leno later in the clip, he says we can't listen to your phone calls or read your emails, and now we know with this New York Timesstory that is plainly not true. It is unfortunate that we have to parse through government statements a dozen times before we actually figure out what they are meaning to say. With all these questions that they get they are obfuscating and deflecting and deceiving the American public."

Previous reports about the NSA have focused on the collection of metadata and call logs, but the NYT story, written by Charlie Savage, details the government's role in "sifting through the contents of what is apparently most e-mails and other text-based communications that cross the border."

"The next step in this whole scandal is to get the NSA to admit they are splitting off communications because that is the only way they could possibly do what they are alleged to do in the New York Times story. We've had evidence of it for years but they have refused to confirm or deny," Timm said. "Now it is finally time for them to come clean."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/obama-tonight-show-domestic-spying_n_3727404.html

huffingtongpost...and people thought you only read Newsmax or Brietbart.  Next you'll be reading slate.

Darn now I'm on the list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

So, if I reply to your post....

DOH! I'm on the list now as well.

[/QUOTE]

skeeter ... you are on a list alright ..... it's called the .... list !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Also heard on the Tonight Show:

“The Panama [Canal] is being widened so that these big supertankers can come in. Now, that will be finished in 2015. If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf–places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Savannah, Georgia, or Jacksonville, Florida–if we don’t do that, those ships are going to go someplace else.”

I'm glad he's POTUS and not my travel agent.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Also heard on the Tonight Show:

“The Panama [Canal] is being widened so that these big supertankers can come in. Now, that will be finished in 2015. If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf–places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Savannah, Georgia, or Jacksonville, Florida–if we don’t do that, those ships are going to go someplace else.”

I'm glad he's POTUS and not my travel agent.

--

Not that good without his teleprompter is he?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Not that good without his teleprompter is he?

I'm told that TOTUS is much better at geography. I wonder if he thinks he can see the gulf from his house?

--

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Looks who's breaking their own rule of cutting and pasting an article without any opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

[QUOTE]

Looks who's breaking their own rule of cutting and pasting an article without any opinion.

[/QUOTE]

When a story is self-explanatory one isn't needed. Thanks for playing though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

State of confusion.

--

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

[QUOTE]Not that good without his teleprompter is he?

I'm told that TOTUS is much better at geography. I wonder if he thinks he can see the gulf from his house?

--

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't think Charleston, Savannah and Jacksonville are Gulf ports dummies - he's saying they, in addition to the Gulf ports must be deepened to accommodate the increased traffic from the canal widening.

If he meant what you wanted him to mean, the "other places" would be Charleston, Savannah & Jacksonville.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

What? Obama lied? 

How does one know??

His lips moved.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

He doesn't think Charleston, Savannah and Jacksonville are Gulf ports dummies - he's saying they, in addition to the Gulf ports must be deepened to accommodate the increased traffic from the canal widening.

That's not what he said. I was told that he was the most articulate president that we've ever elected so why should I not think that he said what he meant?

--