Off -Topic.....RIP Robin Williams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Off -Topic.....RIP Robin Williams

I was stunned last night to learn of the tragic death of Robin Williams. I have been a fan ever since Mork from Ork arrived on my TV screen when I was 10 years old.

Williams was a rare talent. A unique comedian who was inspired by Jonathan Winters, Williams had a rare talent. He was also, to all who knew him, a kind and generous person. Simply put..just an overalll good person. Williams was also an incredible actor, with roles in something like 60 movies. As the voice of the Genie in Aladdin, he did 52 separate characters in the space of something like 3 minutes.

It's particularly tragic that for all the laughter and joy he gave the word. Williams hid well his own demons...and in the end..the demons won.

In an interview with Inside the Actor's Studio, Robin Williams was asked if he believes there is a Heaven. At the end of his response, Williams said something to the affect that "if there is a Heaven, I hope there is at least laughter".

I hope so too..

Rest in peace Robin Williams and thank you for a lifetime of laughter and memories.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Re: Off -Topic.....RIP Robin Williams

Sad news indeed. I was well aware of his drug issues, but not depression.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Robin William's wife, Susan, said in a statement, This morning I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. ... As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countess moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

Robin Williams may be gone, but really he will always be with us with the huge legacy he has left behind.

Rest in Peace Now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

I enjoyed many of his movies, which got better as he got older (me too I guess). I watched Mork and Mindy when I was a kid thought Mindy was hot.

One thing about him that I noticed is that he always seemed to be "on", a 24x7x365 comedian, never relaxed into a normal speaking tone. Except in a few movies. 

The reaction people are having is a bit astounding. That isn't about Williams though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

One thing about him that I noticed is that he always seemed to be "on", a 24x7x365 comedian, never relaxed into a normal speaking tone. Except in a few movies. 

Oddly enough, when he used cocaine he became completely calm and relaxed.  This was something he joked about in several interviews and stand up routines.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Oddly enough, when he used cocaine he became completely calm and relaxed.  This was something he joked about in several interviews and stand up routines.

hat tip 98.5 sports hub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNHsk57f24" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNHsk57f24" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNHsk57f24

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
    But O heart! heart! heart!
    O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
    Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
    For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
    For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
    Here Captain! dear father!
    This arm beneath your head!
    It is some dream that on the deck,
    You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
    My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
    The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
    From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
    Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
    But I with mournful tread,
    Walk the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead ( Walt Whitman)

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Quite the actor and comedian.  He made the movie: Good Will Hunting and the 'i will end you" line is the imho the best delivered line in movie history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Quite the actor and comedian.  He made the movie: Good Will Hunting and the 'i will end you" line is the imho the best delivered line in movie history.

I loved that movie...there are sooo many great lines in Good Will Hunting!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The first thing I thought of when I heard the news was his movie "What dreams may come." I hope he gets the peace that he was missing in life.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

The best all around comedian/actor crossover that I have ever seen in my lifetime.

No one could be as funny or dramatic as the role requires ... and all within one beautiful talent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

Sad news indeed. I was well aware of his drug issues, but not depression.

The magnitude of his depression was a surprise to just about everyone.  

And according to Dr. Rush Limbaugh, his depression and eventual suicide were due to his "leftist" views.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

And according to Dr. Rush Limbaugh, his depression and eventual suicide were due to his "leftist" views.

I say this without any knowledge of what Limbaugh said or didn't say but I'm guessing that you're not being completely accurate. What exactly did he say?

--

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I say this without any knowledge of what Limbaugh said or didn't say but I'm guessing that you're not being completely accurate. What exactly did he say?

--

“Now, what is the left’s worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it’s one of pessimism and darkness, sadness,”

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Who knew back then that he may not have been acting and his real life was coming thru.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

“Now, what is the left’s worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it’s one of pessimism and darkness, sadness,”

Uh huh, and where did he say that his depression and eventual suicide were due to his leftist views?

--

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Uh huh, and where did he say that his depression and eventual suicide were due to his leftist views?

--

The leftist attitude is "one of pessimism and darkness, sadness -- they're never happy, are they?" Limbaugh said on Tuesday's broadcast of his radio show. "They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry."

Limbaugh cited a Fox News story that said Williams killed himself because he was embarrassed to take TV roles and parts in movie sequels, but had to do it because of financial troubles.

"He had it all but he had nothing. Made everybody else laugh but was miserable inside," Limbaugh said. "I mean, it fits a certain picture or a certain image that the left has. Talk about low expectations and general unhappiness and so forth."

Limbaugh also read a newspaper report that said Williams felt guilt over surviving the deaths of his friends Christopher Reeve, John Belushi and Andy Kaufman.

"He could never get over the guilt that they died and he didn't," Limbaugh said. "Well, that is a constant measurement that is made by political leftists when judging the country."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams_n_5673626.html

And now, no, I was saying i obviously wasn't saying at all:

Rush Limbaugh is walking his comments back after he recently suggested that Robin Williams's "leftist" views" led the comedian to kill himself.

On Tuesday, the radio host said that Williams' suicide "fits a certain picture or a certain image that the left has. Talk about low expectations and general unhappiness and so forth."

Limbaugh claimed on Wednesday that he never said Williams killed himself because of his political views, and that his comments were "misquoted, purposely taken out of context" by the liberal media.

He said he was actually criticizing the media's coverage of Williams' death. "I don't presume to know why Robin Williams committed suicide," he said. "I didn't know yesterday, and I don't know today."

"They are the ones trying to tell us why," he continued, criticizing the liberal media. "They are the ones trying to explain it. They are the ones justifying it. They are the ones glorifying it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams-suicide-walks-back_n_5675777.html?cps=gravity

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

The first thing I thought of when I heard the news was his movie "What dreams may come." I hope he gets the peace that he was missing in life.

--

SB,

That was a truly beautiful movie that not a lot of people saw.

A man...Robin Williams...who is already in heaven willing to go into hell to try to rescue his wife who had committed suicide. That was a beautiful betrayal of how much one spouse can love another and the depths they will go to for that spouse.

The more we all learn the past two days, the more I have learned what I truly beautiful human being this was.

But he was also a man who could not find peace in this world so I wish very much he has found a very deserved peace wherever he is now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Since nobody has posted this as of yet, I thought it was important to post this second statement that was released by Robin Williams's wife on Thursday. She said Williams sobriety was in fact intact but he was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease at the time of his death. It was a diagnosis he had not yet decided to make public.

Her statement is below along with some commentary.

On Thursday, the wife of legendary actor and comedian Robin Williams, Susan Schneider, released a statement which revealed her husband was in the “early stages of Parkinson’s disease” at the time of his death.

In the statement obtained by The Boston Globe, Schneider also noted that “Robin’s sobriety was intact” and that “he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression” and anxiety.

Read the full statement below:

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin’s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

Parkinson’s disease is a nervous system disorder that gradually inhibits a person’s ability to move muscles and speak. No signs of the disease are apparent in its early stages, but over time a person may start to notice subtle changes like a loss of facial expressions, no swinging movement in the arms when walking, and hand tremors.

Up to 60 percent of people with Parkinson’s experience mild or moderate depressive symptoms, according to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation. Previous research suggests that Parkinson’s can alter hormone-levels in the brain that control mood.

Williams was found dead on Monday from an apparent hanging at his Calif. home.

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/celebrity/2014/08/14/breaking-news-robin-williams-wife-reveals-actor-had-parkinson-disease/vzG9RyQGNZjklNUaepc1DN/story.html?p1=Topofpage:sub_headline_4

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

Since nobody has posted this as of yet, I thought it was important to post this second statement that was released by Robin Williams's wife on Thursday. She said Williams sobriety was in fact intact but he was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease at the time of his death. It was a diagnosis he had not yet decided to make public.

Her statement is below along with some commentary.

On Thursday, the wife of legendary actor and comedian Robin Williams, Susan Schneider, released a statement which revealed her husband was in the “early stages of Parkinson’s disease” at the time of his death.

In the statement obtained by The Boston Globe, Schneider also noted that “Robin’s sobriety was intact” and that “he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression” and anxiety.

Read the full statement below:

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin’s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

Parkinson’s disease is a nervous system disorder that gradually inhibits a person’s ability to move muscles and speak. No signs of the disease are apparent in its early stages, but over time a person may start to notice subtle changes like a loss of facial expressions, no swinging movement in the arms when walking, and hand tremors.

Up to 60 percent of people with Parkinson’s experience mild or moderate depressive symptoms, according to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation. Previous research suggests that Parkinson’s can alter hormone-levels in the brain that control mood.

Williams was found dead on Monday from an apparent hanging at his Calif. home.

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/celebrity/2014/08/14/breaking-news-robin-williams-wife-reveals-actor-had-parkinson-disease/vzG9RyQGNZjklNUaepc1DN/story.html?p1=Topofpage:sub_headline_4

I read this statement the other day. While sad...and possibly one reason that pushed him to take his life, I think we need to be very careful with assumptions. Many people on social media are now assuming that his depression was caused by his Parkinsons. This is simply not true. We are learning that Williams had a long history of clinical depression. This should not be confused with the type of depression suffered by 60 percent of Parkinson's patients, which is more a situational depression. Of course as the disease progresses they symptoms can become worse, but Williams' depression preceded this diagnosis.

I agree with the mental health experts who have appeared on news shows who state their fears that once again, this serious mental health issue will be marginalized.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Who knew back then that he may not have been acting and his real life was coming thru.

Good point....I think it's sometimes harder for actors to separate than most people think. 

Sections
Shortcuts