On this date in 1945 .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

On this date in 1945 .

Marines Raise Second Flag On Iwo Jima

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: On this date in 1945 .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Some members of the right just can't help themselves and they will always put their party first over the rest of the country. In my opinion those who will do that no matter what party they belong to are not very patriotic.

Semper Fi . 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Some members of the right just can't help themselves and they will always put their party first over the rest of the country. In my opinion those who will do that no matter what party they belong to are not very patriotic.

Semper Fi . 

That is some pure b.s.

When have you ever once agreed with the GOP?

I ain't talking about agreeing with anybody in that post ......you better reread my comment again .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Sister, remember when Harry Reid declared that we had lost the war in Iraq? Do you think that he was being patriotic or do you think that he was putting his party first?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Sister, remember when Harry Reid declared that we had lost the war in Iraq? Do you think that he was being patriotic or do you think that he was putting his party first?

What have we "won" exactly?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

We defeated both Sunni and Shia extremists as well as diminishing Al Qaeda in the eyes of the Islamic world and allowing the formation of the first real Muslim based democracy in the region.

If you're still confused about this maybe you should contact Joe Biden's office.

I am very optimistic about — about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You’re going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You’re going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.

I spent — I’ve been there 17 times now. I go about every two months — three months. I know every one of the major players in all the segments of that society. It’s impressed me. I’ve been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Sadly, we didn't follow up (as the libruls said we would) and steal all of their oil. On the other hand, how many Shites and Kurds have been saved from being killed by one of the most brutal regimes in history? I wonder if they'll be running those numbers in the Lancet?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

We defeated both Sunni and Shia extremists as well as diminishing Al Qaeda in the eyes of the Islamic world and allowing the formation of the first real Muslim based democracy in the region.

If you're still confused about this maybe you should contact Joe Biden's office.

I am very optimistic about — about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You’re going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You’re going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.

I spent — I’ve been there 17 times now. I go about every two months — three months. I know every one of the major players in all the segments of that society. It’s impressed me. I’ve been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences.

None of that is a "victory".  Sure we smashed their armies and occupied the land but that was nearly 10 years ago.  Here we are now, just finally winding down our involvement and the best we can hang out hat on is their political process is getting better?  For the money we spent, the lives lost on both sides, I have a hard time seeing the win.  I don't think we lost, but our victory isn't apparent to anyone in any meaningful way. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Sure Damain, but we're still leaving the original question begging. Is declaring a military defeat prematurely somehow patriotic or is it a bald-faced political maneuver? Or more to the point, did many libruls actually root for a military defeat in order to gain a political win and, if so, is that patriotic?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I think he was very patriotic to say that the Iraq War could be only be won by a political solution back in 2007.

Don't forget about the 4500 US kia , 32,000 US wia not including untold psychological injuries and for what ..... a suspicion  that Iraq had WMD.

Let's us think about the number of kia and mia .... that is over 36,000 casualities  that like having Braintree Mass wiped out for what ..... a SUSPICION.

Semper Fi !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

for what ..... a SUSPICION

For following up on what EVERY western intellegence organization believed at the time to be true Sister. That's more than a mere suspicion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I think he was very patriotic to say that the Iraq War could be only be won by a political solution back in 2007.

Harry Reid's quote:

"I believe myself that the secretary of state, secretary of defense and - you have to make your own decisions as to what the president knows - (know) this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything as indicated by the extreme violence in Iraq yesterday."

Regardless of whether or not you believe that the Iraq War was worthwhile there is no question that Reid was absolutely wrong in saying that the surge was failing and that the war was lost.

That's patriotism to you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Harry Reid's quote:

"I believe myself that the secretary of state, secretary of defense and - you have to make your own decisions as to what the president knows - (know) this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything as indicated by the extreme violence in Iraq yesterday."

Regardless of whether or not you believe that the Iraq War was worthwhile there is no question that Reid was absolutely wrong in saying that the surge was failing and that the war was lost.

That's patriotism to you?

Reid had every right to have a different opinion than what the dubya administration had and to state it.

It was more patroitic of Reid to say what he did than it was for dubya to use phony patriotism to go to war for on a SUSPICION of WMDs .

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

If Iraq is held as a victory, then I would hate to see what a defeat looks like.

Maybe Vietnam and the Koreas could offer a clue....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

If one geniunely believed the country was fighting a losing war, are you saying it is lesspatriotic to point it out?

Of course not, but then again that not what he's doing doing there. He, and many other Democrats at the time, made a political calculation to oppose the war once it became obvious that it wasn't going to be the kind of war that Democrats like (i.e. drop a few bombs on a few villages, declare victory, go home.) By the time the surge rolled around they were so invested in their opposition it was unthinkable to them that we could salvage a victory from the morass that it had become (remember General Betrayus?)

So, many of these Democrats would have rather seen us lose than see a victory that could be credited to Bush. Then, once it happened, it got minimized (what victory?) or co-opted (Biden taking credit for the Obama admin.)

That's not very patriotic to me.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

the kind of war that Democrats like (i.e. drop a few bombs on a few villages, declare victory, go home. 

Like Panama...or Grenada?

Can we thus surmise what kind of war republicans like, then...?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

What type of human being can so callously start a war ? It sicken me to know that some of our so called leaders don't think twice about inflicting pain on other citizens of this planet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Reid made that comment just prior to the surge.  His point was that we had lost.  We hadn't, the surge proved to be a military victory.  His comments were horrific, when put into the context of the time, and really in bad taste.

It is frustrating that the "peace" seems to be lost.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

BTW I started this non political discussion to show my respect and appreciation to our country's greatest generation and there are some on BDC who didn't even think twice about putting their greedy self interest ahead that.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves but I know that you won't because you don't have any self respect.

Semper Fi !