Palin Mangles Paul Revere

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere:
    In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Your brain cells are living rent free up there, aren't they.
    Posted by StalkingButler

That makes no sense. But I dont expect much sense coming from a Palin apologist. Are you related to her or learning from her??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

Okay..seriously...I cannot believe any serious person cannot see that Palin really did mangle Paul Revere. Here is Palin's comment: "He who warned, uh, the British that they weren’t gonna be takin’ away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed." I find it interesting that those of you who are defending yet another Palin trainwreck are ignoring the fact that while Revere did indeed state to the British that the militia had been warned...there was in fact NO ringing of bells and NO warning shots fired. This was a stealth operation...there were British troops all over the place. Does anyone in their right mind think Revere is going on a secret mission to Lexington while firing shots and ringing bells?  Revere ( and William Dawes) were both sent out and the backup plan..should one or both of them be captured were the lanterns in the Old North Church ( remember one if by land..two if by sea?). Revere was one of almost 40 riders...all part of a well planned stealth warning system...Firing guns and ringing bells...geez..if Palin were correct..we would no doubt still be under British rule and eating bangers and mash for dinner...lol
    Posted by miscricket

Wrong.  From Wikipedia :  The ride of Revere, Dawes, and Prescott triggered a flexible system of "alarm and muster" that had been carefully developed months before, in reaction to the colonists' impotent response to the Powder Alarm. This system was an improved version of an old network of widespread notification and fast deployment of local militia forces in times of emergency. The colonists had periodically used this system all the way back to the early years of Indian wars in the colony, before it fell into disuse in the French and Indian War. In addition to other express riders delivering messages, bells, drums, alarm guns, bonfires and a trumpet were used for rapid communication from town to town, notifying the rebels in dozens of eastern Massachusetts villages that they should muster their militias because the regulars in numbers greater than 500 were leaving Boston, with possible hostile intentions. This system was so effective that people in towns 25 miles (40 km) from Boston were aware of the army's movements while they were still unloading boats in Cambridge.[29] These early warnings played a crucial role in assembling a sufficient number of colonial militia to inflict heavy damage on the British regulars later in the day. Adams and Hancock were eventually moved to safety, first to what is now Burlington and later to Billerica.[30]

Also:  A townsman remembered that 'repeated gunshots, the beating of drums and the ringing of bells filled the air.'.... Along the North Shore of Massachusetts, church bells began to toll and the heavy beat of drums could be heard for many miles in the night air."  Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Wrong.  From Wikipedia :  The ride of Revere, Dawes, and Prescott triggered a flexible system of "alarm and muster" that had been carefully developed months before, in reaction to the colonists' impotent response to the Powder Alarm . This system was an improved version of an old network of widespread notification and fast deployment of local militia forces in times of emergency. The colonists had periodically used this system all the way back to the early years of Indian wars in the colony, before it fell into disuse in the French and Indian War . In addition to other express riders delivering messages, bells, drums, alarm guns, bonfires and a trumpet were used for rapid communication from town to town, notifying the rebels in dozens of eastern Massachusetts villages that they should muster their militias because the regulars in numbers greater than 500 were leaving Boston, with possible hostile intentions. This system was so effective that people in towns 25 miles (40 km) from Boston were aware of the army's movements while they were still unloading boats in Cambridge. [ 29 ] These early warnings played a crucial role in assembling a sufficient number of colonial militia to inflict heavy damage on the British regulars later in the day. Adams and Hancock were eventually moved to safety, first to what is now Burlington and later to Billerica . [ 30 ] Also:  A townsman remembered that 'repeated gunshots, the beating of drums and the ringing of bells filled the air. '.... Along the North Shore of Massachusetts, church bells began to toll and the heavy beat of drums could be heard for many miles in the night air."  Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer
    Posted by Hingmarsh

Fischer's book is a great read.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Fischer's book is a great read.
    Posted by Reubenhop

Sure is.  Just started reading it again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Fischer's book is a great read.
    Posted by Reubenhop

I guess we are all guilty of history by poems and not by the actual accounts.  I forgot about the long account and planning.  Could it be that Palin just suffers from being well read.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : I guess we are all guilty of history by poems and not by the actual accounts.  I forgot about the long account and planning.  Could it be that Palin just suffers from being well read.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

We can only imagine how Palin might try to spin this: "Listen my children and you shall hear, of the midnight ride of Paul Revere. If the story doesn't sound like what you read on Wikipedia, you know who to blame: the elite liberal media."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Yea why believe her words coming out of her own mouth with our lieing ears. LMLAO Posted by beKool SHE was right. YOU look like a dolt. Deal with it
    Posted by GreginMeffa

C'mon, Greg. You are smart enough to know that what Caribou Barbie rambled on about was incorrect. Even Fox News host Chris Wallace told her that she was mistaken. Ofcourse, she disagreed with him too. Heheheh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greymouser. Show greymouser's posts

Sorry guys, she mangled the Paul Revere story.  He did not set out to warn the British, nice try with the masshist.org link.  If you had any intellectual honesty, you would fess up that she sounded clueless, and she shouldn't have stuck to her guns on Fox.

Greginmeffa, you're supposed to be smarter than that.  Oh yeah, it was a gotcha question.  What she said was utter nonsense, and at no time did Paul Revere set out to tell the British they couldn't take our guns, etc.  Just because he was captured and told the Brits something after his historic ride does not make it equally important to what he actually did.

She's a fool, and you're a fool if you defend her, despite all obvious evidence.  She is not sly like a fox.  She is an anti-intellectual clown who has dumbed down our national discourse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Sure is.  Just started reading it again.
    Posted by Hingmarsh

He wrote another great book on Washington's Crossing  of the Delaware.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : I guess we are all guilty of history by poems and not by the actual accounts.  I forgot about the long account and planning.  Could it be that Palin just suffers from being well read.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

Palin well read?  I think there is much evidence to the contrary.

His mission and intent was obviously NOT to get captured and then warn the British of our resolve.  Palin misspoke.  But now she is defending her first misstatement and appears to be a bad (stubbornly bad) student of history.  Not good qualities if she is a politician or even commentator.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Wikipedia..?? We are using wikipedia as a source..? I guess all those history textbooks are wrong then..lol...goodness..what are we teaching our children. By all means..let's please change history to fit our current agenda...especially if that agenda is to protect Sarah Palin from her own ignorance..lol
    Good grief.
    Also..if you read Fischer's book..it is still clear that Revere was not shooting guns and ringing bells.  In some towns, the meeting bells at churches were rung after Revere had warned the town leader..in order to provide a signal to the townspeople. Meeting bells for churches at that time..were often single muted rings. In smaller towns where there were no church, flairs were shot..but again..not by Revere.
    Let's face it...Palin botched it...it is clear if you watch the video of her comment and listen to her words.  We can all backtrack as much as we want to try and cover for her on little technicalities here and there..but the reality is..she simply "misspoke" once again...lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow4. Show whatnow4's posts

Why does the left spend so much time on her?

That is my question. 

You don't see the right piling on Edwards, or Blagovich or Blumenthal.

There are plenty of misspeaks, lies and embarrassing behavior.  I just don't see the right targeting it as much as the left.

It seems to me it is the left who always is quick to assault.  Then those on the right respond in kind.

Nobody would have assaulted Obama for saying 57 states if the precedent had not been set.  Or Matthews, after he assaults any repub who misspeaks, but then talks about the Panama Canal in the mideast.

It is funny because the far left leaps at any misspeak as if they are immune to it.  Like they don't do it.

Lowering politics to another low.  Thanks. 

Heck it seems to me the right gives a sweeping pass to Biden.  He misspeaks everyday. 

When are we going to just give people the benefit of teh doubt and ignore it? 

Palin knows about the rev war.  Obama knows there are not 57 states.  Matthews knows where the Panama Canal is.  Matthews however, deserves it as he is very guilty of this. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

Wikipedia..?? We are using wikipedia as a source..? I guess all those history textbooks are wrong then..lol...goodness..what are we teaching our children. By all means..let's please change history to fit our current agenda...especially if that agenda is to protect Sarah Palin from her own ignorance..lol Good grief. Also..if you read Fischer's book..it is still clear that Revere was not shooting guns and ringing bells.  In some towns, the meeting bells at churches were rung after Revere had warned the town leader..in order to provide a signal to the townspeople. Meeting bells for churches at that time..were often single muted rings. In smaller towns where there were no church, flairs were shot..but again..not by Revere. Let's face it...Palin botched it...it is clear if you watch the video of her comment and listen to her words.  We can all backtrack as much as we want to try and cover for her on little technicalities here and there..but the reality is..she simply "misspoke" once again...lol
    Posted by miscricket

By all appearances you have a bad case of PDS. Keep talking about her though, she is getting the last laugh at your expense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

The way I was taught this section of history was that Paul actually did tell the British that the colonialist were ready and waitng for him but, in more of a bragging/gotcha way and not in a way that was supposed to aid the British.
    So, I didn't see Palin remarks but, if, she insinuated that he was a traitor then that was incorrect. However the left looks pretty ignorant making fuun of her reference to the teaparty and 1773 when that is exactly when it took place.

The problem as I see it is the media makes assumptions, doesn't verify and looks inept way to often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow4. Show whatnow4's posts

so, the far left on here are arguing over whether he used "bells".

Wow, we really are setting a new defintion for misspeak.

At this rate public figures stand no chance!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : C'mon, Greg. You are smart enough to know that what Caribou Barbie rambled on about was incorrect. Even Fox News host Chris Wallace told her that she was mistaken. Ofcourse, she disagreed with him too. Heheheh.
    Posted by AlleyCatBruin

I see you are still clinging bitterly to your mis-history and your Pravda.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

so, the far left on here are arguing over whether he used "bells". Wow, we really are setting a new defintion for misspeak. At this rate public figures stand no chance!
    Posted by whatnow4

No, Revere didn't use bells. The bells that she was referring to are the church bells that would have been ringing to warn the populace of danger.

This is from the Boston Herald:

http://bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1343353

Boston University history professor Brendan McConville said, “Basically when Paul Revere was stopped by the British, he did say to them, ‘Look, there is a mobilization going on that you’ll be confronting,’ and the British are aware as they’re marching down the countryside, they hear church bells ringing — she was right about that — and warning shots being fired. That’s accurate.”

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

Wikipedia..?? We are using wikipedia as a source..? I guess all those history textbooks are wrong then..lol...goodness..what are we teaching our children. By all means..let's please change history to fit our current agenda...especially if that agenda is to protect Sarah Palin from her own ignorance..lol Good grief. Also..if you read Fischer's book..it is still clear that Revere was not shooting guns and ringing bells.  In some towns, the meeting bells at churches were rung after Revere had warned the town leader..in order to provide a signal to the townspeople. Meeting bells for churches at that time..were often single muted rings. In smaller towns where there were no church, flairs were shot..but again..not by Revere. Let's face it...Palin botched it...it is clear if you watch the video of her comment and listen to her words.  We can all backtrack as much as we want to try and cover for her on little technicalities here and there..but the reality is..she simply "misspoke" once again...lol
    Posted by miscricket

Oh there's no question she mangled the whole blurb and, like Ruebenhop said, she was talking off the cuff. She melded several of the points she was trying to make and it sounded clumsy.  There isn't a politician out there that doesn't babble off the cuff remarks at times (See Biden, Joe).  But that isn't the point.  

The constant harping by the haters that she made up history is wrong.  The main focus of theirs is that Revere warned the British and how could she be so stupid to think he did.   Her assertion he warned the British was correct and there was a lot of drum beating, bell ringing and warning shots, just not by Revere.  Of course, many of her detractors are laughing at her while stating that even school children know that Revere was carrying a lantern (one if by land, two if by sea). Ironic much?

As far as Wikipedia goes, yeah you got me,  I was being lazy by referencing it but the fact was that the colonists had the warning system in place and it was used widely at that time. I also referenced it from Fischer's book. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I think I'm with Ruebs here.  She misspoke, but got lucky.  The blind squirrel thing. Problem is saying the squirrel is wrong, the one time its right, makes one look dumber than the squirrel
    Posted by GreginMeffa

The thing about it is she seems to get lucky a lot (okay, get your mind out of the gutter) because she's consistently being proven right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : The thing about it is she seems to get lucky a lot (okay, get your mind out of the gutter) because she's consistently being proven right.
    Posted by StalkingButler

Lucky, or just plain right all the time?

Sooner or later the left has to own up to their hatred of Palin being their driving issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

I've got video of Palin with Paul Revere's horse................ok maybe it's not Paul Reveres horse but it's a horse. Perhaps a black horse of KENYAN origan...who knows?
    See link below:

Just kidding.....

You guys are sick!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Palin Mangles Paul Revere : Lucky, or just plain right all the time? Sooner or later the left has to own up to their hatred of Palin being their driving issue.
    Posted by skeeter20

Luck is when skill and opportunity come together.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

R Card Alert !!

I've got video of Palin with Paul Revere's horse................ok maybe it's not Paul Reveres horse but it's a horse. Perhaps a black horse of KENYAN origan...who knows?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greymouser. Show greymouser's posts

Sarah Palin was not right.  End of story.  If you asked Obama how many states are in the U.S., he wouldn't say he right, he would say he misspoke.  And if Sarah had copped to saying British instead of colonists, I wouldn't make much of it.

But she completely bungled it, and no matter how many Boston Herald articles or conservative bloggers try and defend her, she still was wrong.  If you can't see how what she said was wrong, then you're intellectually dishonest and a blind partisan.  Saying Obama said 57 states doesn't take away from the fact that she is clueless and she won't admit when she was wrong.

Maybe history experts can parse her statements to pull out a "British", a "warning", some bells being rung and shots fired all stretched to fit a broad context of Paul Revere.  Her word salad was a joke, and doesn't even really work grammatically, to say nothing of historically.

Sections
Shortcuts