Pentagon board says cuts essential

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

Before you guys start braying about Obama's cuts to the military:

WASHINGTON - A senior Pentagon advisory group, in a series of bluntly worded briefings, is warning President-elect Barack Obama that the Defense Department's current budget is "not sustainable," and he must scale back or eliminate some of the military's most prized weapons programs.

Remember, it's the Pentagon that is recommeding massive cuts to the defense budget.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

Im glad they fessed up......the common wisdom still remains that there is about $ 200B of crap/trash/waste that could be removed from the budget without weakening defense.......not including an actual base closure plan of old, outdated resources.

I would like to see a new base strategy used to refurbish resources kept and help fund them by any value in removing the old resources.

one example of a resource that needs to be revamped or phased out is either Ft. Hood or Ft. Bliss or Ft. Sam Houston. Texas has an excess of ridiculous facilities which could be closed and sold or better utilized.

The last series of closing was a "hurt the blue states" effort rather than look to be efficient.

The savings shold not be spent except for a small amount to stabilize the VA and provide launch costs for Universal Health care...the rest should go to debt reduction.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadWolf7. Show BadWolf7's posts

Yeah...actually it is NOT.
    This is a Civilian group that advises on Defense matters and is not made up of Military personnel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]
    So it will be on Obama's watch that we repeat what we did with Clinton. Cut the defense budget and invite attacks in a weakened position. Maybe it will happen maybe it won't. Obama is gambling with our lives and our prosperity -- what there is left of it.
    [/Quote]

And it was on "Obama's watch" in which the current deficit was created/increased thereby necessitating defense budget cuts??

Cutting the defense budget "invited attacks"...??

"Gambling with our lives and prosperity"...???

Quite the bit of revisionist history here, if not outright fear-mongering and sensationalism.

The election may be over, but "ORDS" (Obama-as-Radical Derangement Syndrome) still remains.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Cuts definitely have to made to the overall budget. Where is up to the POTUS.
    Defense budget cuts are not bad unless they hurt our ability to defend ourselves or hurt our soldier or retired soldiers.
    We must cut and not create entitlement programs!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

The company I work for does about $5 million annually with the military. However, we can't bid directly on the work because we are not a Woman or Minority owned company. We basically work thru these companies and they mark-up the price 25% to the military (taxpayer). They get 25% to shuffle paper! Multiply this scenario by every aspect of government and it adds up to a whole bunch of needless spending.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

The new Civilian National Security Force will keep us safe. The New England region will be led by Howard Dean. I'll feel good surrendering my guns knowing he and Mike Dukakis are keeping me and my family safe at night.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

newtster......... wow....... you're REALLY off base arent ya?? Clinton's so called decimated military performed BRILLIANTLY in Afghanistan and Iraq did it????? It was hardly decimated, destoyed or any other nonsense the GOPers claim!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I hardly think it's worse than reducing the size of the military the old-fashioned way...by sending the troops to a foreign land to die for no good reason.

Natural selection, indeed....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

When did the President get the power to write the budget? Apparently, I missed something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

[Quote]I hardly think it's worse than reducing the size of the military the old-fashioned way...by sending the troops to a foreign land to die for no good reason.

Natural selection, indeed....[/Quote]

Hey, didn't you guys watch "24" over the last few seasons? Here's the script, black president that everyone loves, skyrocketting approval ratings. Some third-world terrorist group hooks up with the Russians, gets a bunch of "brief-case" nukes, sets one off in California, thousands die, etc. Turns our the VP (Joe Biden) is in on it somehow, finds his chance to take out the black president with a bomb, half of the administration is in on it.

Jacl Bauer saves the world, and our government, and gets his girlfriend back, but loses his son?

I can't wait till Nov 23rd, or whenever the next pilot is on, I want to see how this all turns out! I'm not sure I want Joe Biden as president.....

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

[Quote][Quote]
    newtster......... wow....... you're REALLY off base arent ya?? Clinton's so called decimated military performed BRILLIANTLY in Afghanistan and Iraq did it????? It was hardly decimated, destoyed or any other nonsense the GOPers claim!!

[/Quote]

news, let's not start rewriting history. More troops were not used in Iraq because Bush and Rumsfeld didnt WANT more troops used. And those generals who insisted more were needed, were forced to go. As for clinton's actions, the cuts in the military began under bush 41, at the recommendation of cheney and the presisted for 2 years into the clinton administration.

You are CERTAINLY entitled to your own opinions.......... but NOT your own facts!!!!!!

Tom - did I miss something or did we not get attacked a zillion times when Clinton was President?

And really are you asking me to believe we had the troop strength we needed in Iraq? No, we didn't because we were and are stretched too thin. As a result hostilities lasted at high level for alot longer than they had to in Iraq. And now we don't have enough troops to keep the Taliban at bay in Afghanistan.[/Quote]