Police do not target minorities

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Police do not target minorities

In Response to Re: Police do not target minorities:
    What do you suggest we do to enforce immigration laws when it is obvious that the majority coming across the Mexican border have brown skin?  Sure there are ways to reduce incentives for them to come across in the first place, like throwing employers that hire them in jail, but there is still a need for enforcing the borders.
    Posted by Newtster

Just curious...

but how did you make that leap in logic from police harassing latinos in CT to immigration/border policy...and from mexico...?!?

Immigration is mentioned nowhere in the article...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Police do not target minorities:
    So when all the "brown people must carry papers" laws went into effect, a number of BDC conservatives insisted that there is absolutely no reason to think our brave men and women in blue would ever, ever, unfairly target people based on skin color. ______________________________________________________________ F.B.I. agents arrested a sergeant and three police officers from East Haven, Conn., on Tuesday after they were indicted on conspiracy and obstruction of justice charges for singling out and mistreating Latino residents. Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Looks like they were caught and will be punished sending a message to others peace officers.

Anyone who thought or thinks that some will not abuse power regardless of race, are naive!

Has there ANY evidence of systematic abuse or are you just taking advantage of this to say "told ya"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: Police do not target minorities : No, man, I'm pointing to an example of targeting minorities not related to immigratino, and saying "see? The existence of this stuff is why some people worried that papers-carrying laws would lead to unfair targeting/harassment of lawful immigrants who just happen to have darker skin."
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

WhatDo You Want tried recently to convince us a convicted murderer who confessed and was convicted on overwhelming evidence of guilt, and whose numerous appeals were denied for ten years, was "possibly" innocent. 

Yet  he is already convinced these police are guilty of allegations before any process, other than politicized Justice Dept allegations, and parasitic lawsuits looking for multi million dollar judgments for greedy lawyers.
    The real losers in this, as usual,  are the poor citizens of high crime East Haven, who rely upon police to protect themselves from the killers and thugs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I have friends who have been targeted in inner cities simply because of their skin color or ethnicity..so it does happen frequently. One has a license to carry and always carries..so you can imagine the disastrous results that could have occured there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from APerfectCircle. Show APerfectCircle's posts

In Response to Police do not target minorities:
    So when all the "brown people must carry papers" laws went into effect, a number of BDC conservatives insisted that there is absolutely no reason to think our brave men and women in blue would ever, ever, unfairly target people based on skin color. That there is simply nothing to worry about. Well, this stuff happens all the time. That's why people worried that a law specifically focused on making sure people who look like immigrants have papers at all times would lead to abuse. ______________________________________________________________ F.B.I. agents arrested a sergeant and three police officers from East Haven, Conn., on Tuesday after they were indicted on conspiracy and obstruction of justice charges for singling out and mistreating Latino residents. The four were accused of conducting unreasonable searches and seizures and of using unreasonable force, including hitting suspects in the head while the suspects were in custody. The indictment said two officers had “regularly conducted traffic stops of Latino customers” going in or out of Latino-owned businesses and had arrested or detained the people they stopped. The indictment, unsealed in federal court in Bridgeport, Conn., also said the officers had filed false and misleading reports to cover their actions. The four were also accused of trying to prevent civilians from videotaping the police on duty. The indictment said the officers had maintained that the videotaping was “interfering with police operations,” while the officers actually wanted “to prevent these civilians from capturing their and other officers’ misconduct on videotape.” The indictment also detailed what it described as a campaign of intimidation and harassment of the East Haven Police Commission when it tried to investigate some of the accusations against the four officers. In one instance, the indictment said, a union leader forced a commission meeting about possible police misconduct to end early because he behaved in such an intimidating manner. “The residents of East Haven should not need protection from those that are sworn to protect and serve them,” Janice K. Fedarcyk, assistant director-in-charge of the F.B.I.’s New York office, said at a news conference in Bridgeport several hours after the arrests. Ms. Fedarcyk said the indictment outlined “a four-year pattern of egregious behavior” by a “cancerous cadre” of officers from East Haven. She said the officers had abused their positions and damaged their department’s reputation. Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr. of East Haven said Tuesday that he stood by the town’s police force, which he said numbers 50 officers. He said the Police Department would begin an internal investigation of the sergeant, John Miller, and Officers David Cari, Dennis Spaulding and Jason Zullo. “It’s certainly very unfortunate and very tough for the families,” Mr. Maturo said, “but it’s tough for the Police Department and our community. I am proud of our Police Department. I stick by our men in blue.” The mayor said he spoke to the department on Tuesday. “I reiterated, go out there and continue to protect our citizens and do what you are paid to do,” he said. “We will get through this day by day.” Donald Cretella, a lawyer for Sergeant Miller, said the sergeant would be vindicated. “Nothing in the indictment is a surprise to us,” Mr. Cretella said, “and it doesn’t appear that Sergeant Miller did anything illegal. He’s a 16-year veteran police officer. He’s been decorated, he’s a wonderful officer and hopefully we’ll address all this and he can get on with his life.” East Haven has had a long history of tension between the police and minorities . The Justice Department opened an investigation into allegations of discriminatory policing in 2009, and Yale law students went to court to force the release of police records. In 2010, nine Latino immigrants filed suit against the police department and 19 officers, saying the police had practiced racial profiling and intimidated Latinos with beatings, false arrests and unwarranted raids on local businesses. The indictment echoed allegations in a separate Justice Department report issued last month that said there had been a pattern of police discrimination against Latino residents. “They were allegations,” Mr. Maturo said in a telephone interview. “Now there’s been an arrest made. The judicial system will take its course and we’ll find out what, when and where.” He added, “I don’t think it’s a systemic problem within the police department or community.” Thomas E. Perez, the assistant attorney general with the Justice Department’s civil rights division, said at the news conference in Bridgeport that the officers had abused their power and then intimidated witnesses, creating a “climate of fear.” He said the “stark” findings in the Justice Department investigation, a civil rights inquiry that was separate from the investigation that led to the arrests, “depict a department that is lacking some of those basic systems” necessary to prevent abuses. David B. Fein, the United States attorney in Connecticut, was asked at the news conference if the person identified in the indictment as “Co-conspirator 1” was the East Haven police chief, Leonard Gallo. Mr. Fein said he would not name people who were not named in the indictment. Noah Rosenberg contributed reporting from Bridgeport, Conn. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/nyregion/connecticut-police-officers-accused-of-mistreating-latinos.html?_r=1&hp I mean, it happens without a brown-person-papers law, so why is a fear that it would happen even more with one so unreasoanble?

I honestly didn't think there was anyone who didn't think there are some cops out there who target minorites. 
    I am not on here 24/7 so I'll defer to the BDC experts on this.

At least these corrupt cops were caught. These kinds of cops give the good ones a bad name. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from APerfectCircle. Show APerfectCircle's posts

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like those of you who remember last year's forum wars regarding Arizona's immigration law, and related laws pushed by conservatives, which sprung up in our debates of the illegal immigrant panic of 2011. In particular, I'd like you to do your best to remember what Newtster's position was on "liberals" who criticized Arizona's law on the ground that it would lead to increased abuse of minorities. (And the position of any other BDC cons who chime in in this thread.) This would be helpful, you know, to keep people honest. Which is of course why, when I and others here attacked the Arizona immigratiohn law on precisely that ground, you and some of the other neocons here laughed off the claim. We were supposedly just a bunch of warm and fuzzy liberal wusses, who loved illegal immigrants and hated America. Concern for legal minorities was to be mocked. Your position was that the Arizona law would cause absolutely no increase in harassment of minorities. That the nice police would just check papers, and woudl never ever invent a reason to pull over a minority for the purpose of harassing them on that front (or others). That no minorities would be improperly deported. That perfectly legal upstanding citizens would not be harassed on the street, just because the police officer now has a legislative command to ferret out illegals. Now this such an obvious point that saying it is a complete waste of time? You insult me for making the point before because it was supposedly ridiculous, and you insult me for making it now because it's obviously true? Are you f*cking kidding me? "What the fork do we do about enforcing the law?" Deport only convicted violent criminals., focus on employers, and be prepared for the CPI inflation resulting from increased cost of labor for all these common basket goods. (ie, trying to hire American fat*sses to pick tomatoes).  Duh. Trying to check papers and deport 8-15 million illegals is simply impossible.

I'd like those of you who remember last year's forum wars regarding Arizona's immigration law, and related laws pushed by conservatives, which sprung up in our debates of the illegal immigrant panic of 2011. In particular, I'd like you to do your best to remember what Newtster's position was on "liberals" who criticized Arizona's law on the ground that it would lead to increased abuse of minorities.

I'm sorry but is this a joke? Do people actually pay that much attention to what everyone on here posts to the point where they remember what was posted a year ago? Now I know why I'm not on here all the time. What a joke.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from APerfectCircle. Show APerfectCircle's posts

Now I know why I shouldn't be here: Having a memory is a joke. Are you joking? Seeing as I'm a defense lawyer I happen to pay attention to and care about such things as minorities being improperly harassed by the police. Goes with the territory. So yeah, discussions about an immigration law that threatens useless harassment is the sort of thing I'd remember. I also remember conversations I've had on any random topic with friends, years ago. Christ, a conversation about the new fastest mac I had with a friend in grade school just popped into my head. We were walking in from recess and I was facing the outside of the orchestra practice room. And there's that beat up crappy green wooden bench under the window.... I apologize for having a good memory.  :)

I meant no disrespect and congrats on having such a great memory.

Sections
Shortcuts