Poll: Health coverage not federal government's job

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Poll: Health coverage not federal government's job

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well the only health care coverage the Feds are providing is medicare and medicaid - even with Obamacare. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I currently get my Health insurance from my employer.  They give me a choice of 3 plans and I pick the one I want.  We have meetings and training to explain to people about the 3 plans.

The 3 plans are selected by the HR department.  The people in HR who select the plans are trained to do this.  They sift through countless plans by numerous providers and settle on 3.

That's what I want my elderly parents doing.  That's what I want my mom who can barely operate her answering machine to have to do - sift through hundreds of health care plans to pick the one that best meets her needs.  Yep, no chance of fly by night Health Insurance providers taking advantage of seniors.

[/QUOTE]

Your mother can barely operate an answering machine? That explains a lot.

[/QUOTE]

You're talking smack about my mother?  At least she raised children that can think for themselves.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Privatization of social security?  Let me decide with my money.  I'll take my money now and let the feds keep my employeers portion if I could.  

Private schools do not serve the needs of all children so it is no real answer.  Public schools are failing to meet the needs of too many children; Mass doesn't even make hte top 10 states for graduation.

And do you really want the roads and bridges owned and operated by private companies?  Yes, that would be better then what we have now and where it has been implemented; maintenance has been vastly improved and the quality of hte facilities are superior.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty limited thinking.  

You want control of your retirement and can handle the result?  Maybe.  But unexpected things happen (like illness or markey crahes) and certainly not all people are in the same financial boat as you.

Public schools at least have a goal to attend to the needs of all children. Private schools cannot and will not.  And Massachsetts has high standards of learning which explains why graduation rates are sometimes lower.  Try Mississippi with low standards and worse graduation rates.

And you want to be charged by a private entity every time you use their road or bridge?  You don't see a problem with that?

Point is we tried a privatized version of all these things and we changed to a government based system because ... the profit model did not serve the needs of all the people adequately.  Get with this century please.

[/QUOTE]

I'd call it action orientated thinking.

On SS I have more faith in my ability to take care of myself then the govt. The model I've paid into since I started working at 14 won't be what I paid for by the time I get there.  Yes,  I'd take the self determination path if I could.

On education; I'm a voucher and charter school supporter and this position is for my grand kids.  I think that parents should be able to get a voucher credit for public education and apply it to any licensed private school.  Point of fact Mass's much vaulted education system doesn't make the top 10.

Privatized highways under public private partnerships are the future, they're a better value, support private sector hiring and limit government bloat.  Let the government develop policy and standards and then let innovation of the private sector implement.  You my friend are behind the times on this issue as the train has left the station.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Reubenhop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Privatization of social security?  Let me decide with my money.  I'll take my money now and let the feds keep my employeers portion if I could.  

Private schools do not serve the needs of all children so it is no real answer.  Public schools are failing to meet the needs of too many children; Mass doesn't even make hte top 10 states for graduation.

And do you really want the roads and bridges owned and operated by private companies?  Yes, that would be better then what we have now and where it has been implemented; maintenance has been vastly improved and the quality of hte facilities are superior.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty limited thinking.  

You want control of your retirement and can handle the result?  Maybe.  But unexpected things happen (like illness or markey crahes) and certainly not all people are in the same financial boat as you.

Public schools at least have a goal to attend to the needs of all children. Private schools cannot and will not.  And Massachsetts has high standards of learning which explains why graduation rates are sometimes lower.  Try Mississippi with low standards and worse graduation rates.

And you want to be charged by a private entity every time you use their road or bridge?  You don't see a problem with that?

Point is we tried a privatized version of all these things and we changed to a government based system because ... the profit model did not serve the needs of all the people adequately.  Get with this century please.

[/QUOTE]

On SS I have more faith in my ability to take care of myself then the govt. The model I've paid into since I started working at 14 won't be what I paid for by the time I get there.  Yes,  I'd take the self determination path if I could.

On education; I'm a voucher and charter school supporter and this position is for my grand kids.  I think that parents should be able to get a voucher credit for public education and apply it to any licensed private school.  Point of fact Mass's much vaulted education system doesn't make the top 10.

Privatized highways under public private partnerships are the future, they're a better value, support private sector hiring and limit government bloat.  Let the government develop policy and standards and then let innovation of the private sector implement.  You my friend are behind the times on this issue as the train has left the station.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever you call them...

...those aren't really moderate positions.

And just as with health care, gross privatization of basic govt functions is not a panacea that will cure all ills...whether it's infrastructure/legacy spending, SS, or education.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[/QUOTE]

Am I as selfish as.... say... a vested union teacher who idoes not really care about the quality of education but in protecting their overpaid job with LAVISH benefits?

You advocate the country going into the financial abyss by irresponsible spending which we can afford?

It IS that simple.

Debate whether we can afford to play Santa Claus to the world on the backs of the middle class.. The TRUTH is that we can NOT afford it. America will crumble following this BS kumbaya nonsense.

I do care but I say protect America first because if we don't .. we all go down.

Now who is selfish. I plan to get you a mirror for X-mas.

I'll wait .............

[/QUOTE]

Don't pretend to know me.  You know only a false image of me manufactured through your ideological leanings and your innate ignorance and prejudice.  Me selfish?  In point of fact, I have devoted much of my life to helping others.  I have represented the poor, I have taught the young, I have been elected to run two volunteer community organizations, one professional organization and a town board in my community.  

And what are you?  A person who dismisses the less fortunate as "trash".  A guy who uses fake ghetto talk and ethnic slurs.  A guy who is a prejudiced bigot. If anyone is trash, if anyone is a selfish person who wants only for himself, that would be you.  

America is better than people like you.  I will keep working to make it a better place and to stop people like you from tearing it down.  It is idealism and morality.  But these are alien concepts to you...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your proposals benefit only a minority of wealthy individuals and not the majority.  Hardly a moderate view.  The wealthy are doing just fine right now.  But we have to insure that everyone has a shot at a better life.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Awww Rubie... hit a nerve?

You still think we can and should let anyone in OUR country and we support them for life and generations to come?

Yup.. that's what you advocate but are afraid to say the words. Your decision to ignore the reality and acknowledge that what you falsely call compassion is nothing more than a guise to achieve political gain in power however false the perceptions are painted.

Again you fall back on your typical glib by attacking te poster. It would be so nice (and refreshing) if you would address the ISSUE (which neither you nor I are).

You advocate tens of millions of criminals invading the country and that hard working Americans (does that word hurt?) are forced to give them a very comfortable life by their own standards all the while lowering their own standards of living in doing so.

Where's the equity in that?

They are trash.. people who steal are trash. People who contribute nothing to society are trash. People who intentionally live off of others are trash.

You call the above "victems". I call them criminals which is what they are.. even using your beloved law definitions but... you turn a selective eye on those laws. How very convenient for you.

Your definition of morality includes rewarding criminals? .. or sodomy?

I think your parents failed you miserably. Put away your untuned violin.

Have a nice day comrade Rubie.

I'll continue to pray for anyone you have taught. They must be twisted.

[/QUOTE]

You sound a lot like many hypocrites - ignoring your own faults, while misrepresenting those of others as though you are some sort of arbiter of society.

Newsflash: you aren't, and as a result you have next to no credibility.

The reason I know this is that you make no attempts to better understand the nature of problems and instead just jump to false conclusions and petty insults, because they're easier than trying to learn...much less admit what you don't know.

It seems clear to me that you've never given a thought to empathize with people who have less than you or think differently from you.  That requires honesty and a little courage of your convictions.  In other words, you can never be right if you were never wrong.

Even worse, you're a bigot...needlessly insulting and denigrating a whole swath of people who consist of far more than you realize...merely to score a point in an argument which was a fallacy to begin with.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Awww Rubie... hit a nerve?

You still think we can and should let anyone in OUR country and we support them for life and generations to come?

Yup.. that's what you advocate but are afraid to say the words. Your decision to ignore the reality and acknowledge that what you falsely call compassion is nothing more than a guise to achieve political gain in power however false the perceptions are painted.

Again you fall back on your typical glib by attacking te poster. It would be so nice (and refreshing) if you would address the ISSUE (which neither you nor I are).

You advocate tens of millions of criminals invading the country and that hard working Americans (does that word hurt?) are forced to give them a very comfortable life by their own standards all the while lowering their own standards of living in doing so.

Where's the equity in that?

They are trash.. people who steal are trash. People who contribute nothing to society are trash. People who intentionally live off of others are trash.

You call the above "victems". I call them criminals which is what they are.. even using your beloved law definitions but... you turn a selective eye on those laws. How very convenient for you.

Your definition of morality includes rewarding criminals? .. or sodomy?

I think your parents failed you miserably. Put away your untuned violin.

Have a nice day comrade Rubie.

I'll continue to pray for anyone you have taught. They must be twisted.

[/QUOTE]

You sound a lot like many hypocrites - ignoring your own faults, while misrepresenting those of others as though you are some sort of arbiter of society.

Newsflash: you aren't, and as a result you have next to no credibility.

The reason I know this is that you make no attempts to better understand the nature of problems and instead just jump to false conclusions and petty insults, because they're easier than trying to learn...much less admit what you don't know.

It seems clear to me that you've never given a thought to empathize with people who have less than you or think differently from you.  That requires honesty and a little courage of your convictions.  In other words, you can never be right if you were never wrong.

Even worse, you're a bigot...needlessly insulting and denigrating a whole swath of people who consist of far more than you realize...merely to score a point in an argument which was a fallacy to begin with.

[/QUOTE]

Empathy should destroy the country? Is that what you advocate.

I'm not the issue.. what should be at issue is whether this country (whether for humanitarian or purely POLITICAL reasons) can afford to carry 21 (key word) MILLION people and generations to follow with a free ride.

You hold the option to discuss the issue or could swithch back to name calling and character attacks.

Why should only working Americans make 'financial sacrifices' in these difficult times yet nobody advocates the freeloaders to sacrifice... anything ?  

Equitable? Only if you are here and on the dole.. OR.. find political benefit/advantage in thinking that way.

[/QUOTE]

You missed the point, which is that there are more important things than money; that having MORE money does not give a person MORE moral authority to dictate who stays and who goes.

And again, you fail to realize the many. many sacrifices that immigrants endure just to get here in the first place...only to be scorned, ridiculed and dogged at every turn by people like yourself because of the color of their skin or country of origin.

Note the inverse of this is NOT inviting them all over for tea and cookies, but there is a continuum, and the best solutions are somewhere in the middle...

...such as granting the children of illegals amnesty but not the illegals themselves, i.e. versions of the dream act.

See how that works?  You still get to play bad cop and punish the "criminals" (for what amounts to a civil offense) while not adversely affecting kids who, by ALL accounts, are just as american as you or me.

You must understand that I grew up in a city filled with immigrants from everywhere - from kindergarten through high school - and we all managed to get along with (mostly) little real strife.  In fact, one of my oldest friends is the daughter of an illegal cuban immigrant; she now lives in Miami and is a die-hard republican...just like another old friend whose dad was american and mom was born in france.

We are - and always will be - a nation of immigrants, legal and otherwise.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Actually, thinking about both points, the best way to reduce cost is to put the bad lifestyle types into their own pool and pay based on the risk inccured.  

Hey, wait a minute...  that's how the private sector worked BEFORE government got involved.

[/QUOTE]

Huh? Could you explain further how insurers put the "bad lifestyle types" into their own pool? What "bad lifestyles" are you referring to?

[/QUOTE]

Take smoking.  you smoke, you pay WAY higher for health insurance, if anyone will cover you.  that would be a private sector approach.

A government approach is that the smoker pays the same, has the same coverage, as a health nut.

That's the government approach to healthcare in a nut shell. Unsustainable and just flat out wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts