Pope Benedict XVI to resign..!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Pope Benedict XVI to resign..!

I woke up to the somewhat surprising news that Pope Benedict, the head of the Catholic Church for just under 8 years..is resigining effective February 28th.  Surprising news primarily because he is stepping down during Lent.

I remember following the last papal conclave with my son and being quite surprised at the brevity of a process that has been known to go for many days in  modern times...many months in ancient times. Benedict ( Joseph Ratzinger) was elected after only four ballots.

Benedict XVI has ruled the Catholic Church from a much more conservatiive theological view than did Pope John Paul II.  Pope John Paul II was second longest serving pope of all time and was therefore much more influential leader of the Catholic Church. He was also very charismatic and although critized by progressives for his tough stands against modern ideals such as contraception and women clergy..Pope John Paull II was able bridge the gap between Catholics and non-catholics and forge relationships with other faiths.

Benedict XVI was never going to be as influential as John Paul II and he himself hinted upon his election that he saw his role as Pope as a temporary...interim one.

It will be interesting the see what kind of leader the next Papal Conclave elects. Will it be someone more conservative , like Benedict? Or will there be a recognition..especially among the younger members..that a leader is needed who will bridge the gap and while working to promote the Catholic Church doctrine..understand that creative ways are necessary that result in more inclusion than exclusion.

I wish Pope Benedict XVI well. I respect him for recognizing that he his no longer able to carry out the duties of the leader of the Catholic Church. I wish more people in leadership positions would display such humility.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Pope Benedict XVI to resign..!

Probably as good a time as any for the Catholic Church to close its doors for good.

Man made Christianity has abused and defrauded enough people already.  Its time for facts and reality to rule the lands.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Probably as good a time as any for the Catholic Church to close its doors for good.

Man made Christianity has abused and defrauded enough people already.  Its time for facts and reality to rule the lands.

"Facts and reality" aka atheism's record in the 20th century isnt so appealing. Avowedly atheistic regimes killed 250 million of their own people, never mind the casualties from wars...

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to UserName99's comment:

You good with Jewish and Muslim "church's" closing their doors too? Or is it only Catholic Church you don't like?

Preferably all. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"Facts and reality" aka atheism's record in the 20th century isnt so appealing. Avowedly atheistic regimes killed 250 million of their own people, never mind the casualties from wars..

Quite the mean-spirited fellow, aren't you?

Of your 12,000 posts, probably 6,000 are of the caliber of the above...

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

What would make a pope resign?

Doesn't like the hours? Has to work on Sundays.

Too many voices in his head? God calls at all hours of the night.

Sounds like an emergency room physician and the Pope have lots in common.  :)

Additionally, he was plagued by the sexual abuse scandal -- speaking of the "voices in his head" -- it's a bummer to have to clean up a mess that others have caused.   However, you never heard Pope Benedict say that it was Pope John Paul's fault.  

Incidentally, there are well over 400 posts (and growing) on BDC re: the Pope's intended resignation, and it looks as though 50% of them have been removed.  

While a mere fraction in number, this thread is doing quite well -- although the day is young.  :)   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"Facts and reality" aka atheism's record in the 20th century isnt so appealing. Avowedly atheistic regimes killed 250 million of their own people, never mind the casualties from wars..

Quite the mean-spirited fellow, aren't you?

What is mean-spirited abot pointing out the inherent evil in athiestic regimes as they manifested themselves in the 20th century?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I woke up to the somewhat surprising news that Pope Benedict, the head of the Catholic Church for just under 8 years..is resigining effective February 28th.  Surprising news primarily because he is stepping down during Lent.

I remember following the last papal conclave with my son and being quite surprised at the brevity of a process that has been known to go for many days in  modern times...many months in ancient times. Benedict ( Joseph Ratzinger) was elected after only four ballots.

Benedict XVI has ruled the Catholic Church from a much more conservatiive theological view than did Pope John Paul II.  Pope John Paul II was second longest serving pope of all time and was therefore much more influential leader of the Catholic Church. He was also very charismatic and although critized by progressives for his tough stands against modern ideals such as contraception and women clergy..Pope John Paull II was able bridge the gap between Catholics and non-catholics and forge relationships with other faiths.

Benedict XVI was never going to be as influential as John Paul II and he himself hinted upon his election that he saw his role as Pope as a temporary...interim one.

It will be interesting the see what kind of leader the next Papal Conclave elects. Will it be someone more conservative , like Benedict? Or will there be a recognition..especially among the younger members..that a leader is needed who will bridge the gap and while working to promote the Catholic Church doctrine..understand that creative ways are necessary that result in more inclusion than exclusion.

I wish Pope Benedict XVI well. I respect him for recognizing that he his no longer able to carry out the duties of the leader of the Catholic Church. I wish more people in leadership positions would display such humility.

Good question.  Who will they install as pope?

I bet you are hoping for an inexperienced athiestic woman who is a member of the cherokee nation, who shakes her fist at God while saying "you didn't build that".

How close am I?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

Gee, just the other day you were condemning him for the actions for some backward 55 bed hospital and accusing him for being all about business. Sure you did not mention his name but you said Catholic Church and who would be more in charge of the catholic church then the Pope? I guess your views change like the New England weather or whoever's personal email you are trying to get.

Miscricket and msobstinate are right. You have a comprehension problem. Give it up pal. Your making a fool out of yourself.

amazing, first time I have posted since thursday and poof, there you are.

Don't flatter yourself. You are one strange  and passive agressive dude. A few of us are still waitin for you to post that tuition proof.

I have not revisited that thread, but usually when someone wants to disprove another's statement, it is up to that person to post such info. Or did not your mommy tell you this.  I told you my data was solid for Boston area schools. I guess your reading comprehension needs work because I told you I wasn't privy to schools outside the Boston diocese and your school seems to fall outside. Boston was flooded with catholic schools in those days, one reason why tuituon was low.  I am sure a wealthy community likes yours did not have catholic schools on every corner and public education was fine. Thus a reason why your catholic school was higher in price.

You seem to have the luxury of being on the computer all day.  Take care.  I hope your mommy makes you a nice dinner.

Bupkus you have not revisited that thread. You got owned and like a typical passive agressinve loser you ran away with your tail between your legs . I have dinner with my mum several times a week and she is quite the cook. Again, sounds like you have mommy issues.

And now I'm going to take the advice miscrickit gave me the other day and put you on ignore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

plagued by the sexual abuse scandal

I daresay he bears a large degree of responsibility for it if even a tenth of what Hitchens alleges is true.

I was being facetious, actually.   The sexual abuse scandal dates back so far and has so many overlapping members of the Church heirarchy that are responsible, only a serious historian would be equipped to deal with the web of lies, deceit, corruption and level of complicity within the Church.  

I still get sick thinking about what went down in Boston and the fact that the Church didn't immediately defrock Bernard Law; that protection spoke volumes, and the execution of Law's appointment to relocate to Rome was under Pope John Paul II.   

Pope Benedict has done the right thing to retire, and for that, I respect his decision.   But that's about it.   I'm not at all versed in the writings of Christopher Hitchens, but it looks as though he's done some credible digging into the scandal.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

What would make a pope resign?

Doesn't like the hours? Has to work on Sundays.

Too many voices in his head? God calls at all hours of the night.

Sounds like an emergency room physician and the Pope have lots in common.  :)

Additionally, he was plagued by the sexual abuse scandal -- speaking of the "voices in his head" -- it's a bummer to have to clean up a mess that others have caused.   However, you never heard Pope Benedict say that it was Pope John Paul's fault.  

Incidentally, there are well over 400 posts (and growing) on BDC re: the Pope's intended resignation, and it looks as though 50% of them have been removed.  

While a mere fraction in number, this thread is doing quite well -- although the day is young.  :)   

I don't recall Benedict saying it was anybody's fault.  But I do recall hearing that the Catholic Church isn't responsible because the priests don't work for the Catholic Church.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Good riddance.

Aside from being anti-gay in the extreme, he personally covered up the machinations of the church re: the child rape scandals...

...a man who held the heinous acts as somehow less of a crime than the actual reporting of rape and abuse.

But this is what happens when religious conservatism establishes inexorable power for itself as "infallible".

If there's a he!!, he's well on his way.

Sections
Shortcuts