Pope Benedict XVI to resign..!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Pope Benedict XVI to resign..!

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Pope Benedict has done the right thing to retire, and for that, I respect his decision.   But that's about it.   I'm not at all versed in the writings of Christopher Hitchens, but it looks as though he's done some credible digging into the scandal.  

This is an abdication, not a retirement, the latter of which has next to no precedent in canonical law.

The timing is slightly suspect, though, given the horrific documentary about to be released on the child rape scandals.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

Oops Comrade Matty... I thought you speaking of Cardinal Law. You remember, the man who ran to Rome so he would not go to jail...

Law was complicit, too...but small potatoes compared to Ratzinger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to TFefio's comment:

Wouldn't it be funny if the church opens up to woman priests and gays? 

The universal sound heard would be he!! freezing over.

Female priests?  Maybe.

Gays?  Not in our lifetimes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Probably as good a time as any for the Catholic Church to close its doors for good.

Man made Christianity has abused and defrauded enough people already.  Its time for facts and reality to rule the lands.

I think there is a place in the world for both...I just think it's important to separate the politics of the church from faith and belief in God. Religious beliefs can inform government..but we've seen what happens when religious beliefs dictate government.  Most people don't understand that Freedom of Religion is also Freedom from religion. Belief in any God should be a choice..not mandatory.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

What would make a pope resign?

Doesn't like the hours? Has to work on Sundays.

Too many voices in his head? God calls at all hours of the night.

I respect him for his decision. To me it shows a lack of ego..and a love and respect for the position and the faith. If one knows one is not capable of carrying out the duties of their office..then one should step down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

plagued by the sexual abuse scandal

I daresay he bears a large degree of responsibility for it if even a tenth of what Hitchens alleges is true.

He paints a piture of Ratzinger as an evil man who proteted child rapists on an individual level (moving priests around) and structurally (secretive internal investigations, urging policy of not sharing info with police, etc).

Agree or disagree with the man generally, but the sense I got from his writing and his life is that he was very conscientious about his positions and wouldn't fudge to make a point. He'll also do a 180 on prior positions or ideologies if he concluded he was mistaken in the past (ie, despite starting out as an avowed new communist early on, then turning hard away from the left generally in the lead up to, and aftermath of, the Iraq invasion).

I read your previous post. I wish I could say that something..anything in Hitchen's account surprises me. It's what happens when there is no accountability in an organization..whether it be the Catholic Church..a corporation...a school ( Penn State). The perpetuation of the organization becomes more important than the well being of the members of said organization. The same can be true of some big unions.

If indeed then Cardinal Ratzinger did the things he is alleged to have done with regard to the sexual abuse coverup scandal..then that is inexcusable and indefensible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

plagued by the sexual abuse scandal

I daresay he bears a large degree of responsibility for it if even a tenth of what Hitchens alleges is true.

I was being facetious, actually.   The sexual abuse scandal dates back so far and has so many overlapping members of the Church heirarchy that are responsible, only a serious historian would be equipped to deal with the web of lies, deceit, corruption and level of complicity within the Church.  

I still get sick thinking about what went down in Boston and the fact that the Church didn't immediately defrock Bernard Law; that protection spoke volumes, and the execution of Law's appointment to relocate to Rome was under Pope John Paul II.   

Pope Benedict has done the right thing to retire, and for that, I respect his decision.   But that's about it.   I'm not at all versed in the writings of Christopher Hitchens, but it looks as though he's done some credible digging into the scandal.  

Hi Yogafriend..I am always happy to see you join the conversation. 

You are not alone in feeling sickened by what happened with the sexual abuse cover up. Even catholics felt betrayed.  I disagreed strongly with Law's appointment to Rome.  It was sort of like rewarding bad behavior..however if Hitchens is to be believed..and it sounds like he sourced his writing well..then the coverup extended all the way to the Vatican..so Law was probably just doing what he was told..like any good catholic who is taught not to question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Im sensing the lefties squirming a little over this breaking news. Wouldn't it be funny if the church opens up to woman priests and gays? That with the Hispanic following would make a pretty strong Force to recon with. Given the lefties war on the catholic church I'd hate to be on that end if it all comes true! 

I think if a more progressive Cardinal becomes pope you could see movement in that direction..but I doubt you will see widespread acceptance of female priests anytime soon. More likely you will see the lift on celibacy first.

The lefts "war on Catholicism" is a myth. Actually..the views of the Catholic church are more closely aligned with the democratic agenda regarding helping the poor and general public policy..  Most people associate the right with the Christian evangelicals...not the Catholics.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I was trying to expalin to the poster miscricket the other day that the catholic church cannot control what doctors do in delivery room, but she seemed bent on the idea that the catholic church was responsible, even thought their policy is to save the child first when a problem arises.

The point of that discussion as far as I recall it was disgust with the fact that the church would deem abortion doctors and women receiving abortions "murderers," but then allow their lawyers to defend a suit on the ground that fetuses weren't people after all.

Yes..that was the exact point of that discussion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Im sensing the lefties squirming a little over this breaking news. Wouldn't it be funny if the church opens up to woman priests and gays? That with the Hispanic following would make a pretty strong Force to recon with. Given the lefties war on the catholic church I'd hate to be on that end if it all comes true! 

Winner of the stupidest post of the day goes to..... TFefio! Congrats!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Mr. Ratzinger filled the role of the dutiful son, and got Mr. Wojtyla's "third term" in American parlance.  I was worried about him before he got it, because of the way he'd served as Mr. Wojtyla's enforcer and the Hitler Youth thing.  But when I saw his actual countenance, not so much.  He looked like he couldn't believe all this was happening.  Dogmatic?  Yeah.  But the most important, healthy schism between The Church and catholics survives.

For the moment, my money's on either Alzheimer's or the coverups finally catching up with him.  I've thought about the butler's revelations, but that's been handled (apparently to a successful political conclusion, though maybe it was a chink).  But there are still different flavors of catholicism.  The German flavor has got to be pressing, pressing, pressing over what they know.  They managed to exorcise the Hitler Youth thing, but this won't go away until the perps at all levels are gone.  

If it's the coverups, I say again I think our Mr. O'Malley is on the short list, in order to exorcize the damn spot.  The cardinals, those who aren't complicit, must be getting very, very tired of carrying the burden.  And looking at Mr. O'Malley's bio, we see that he and Mr. Levada - appointed by Mr. Ratzinger as his successor as head of the Doctrine of the Faith - are tight and go back a long way.  So he's wired as well as iconic.

It would be stunning if we get anything but a dogmatic replacement.  (Every current elector was appointed by Messrs. Wojtyla and Ratzinger.)  I hope we get at least a uniter.

Back to the top, if it's of his own volition, I share miscricket's point throughout this thread that he's to be commended by history.  

But it is inescapable that he could not have done anything more modern.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

And all the non papist Christians of the world collectively yawn.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Non-yawning non-papist here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

Non-yawning non-papist here.

I apologise. I should have said all the Christians who aren't Catholic collectively yawn.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Gee, just the other day you were condemning him for the actions for some backward 55 bed hospital and accusing him for being all about business. Sure you did not mention his name but you said Catholic Church and who would be more in charge of the catholic church then the Pope? I guess your views change like the New England weather or whoever's personal email you are trying to get.

Ooooo-k.   That would be a challenge for you! Do YOU even know how many email addresses YOU have of YOUR own? It's has to be some where in the 100's!! 

Interesting..and not surprising. I am following a policy of ignoring Jackbu. Some people just simply look for attention and don't care whether it is positive or negative. More than one person on this site has commented the lack of class and character he has shown with the personal comments regarding e-mail exchanges that happened "off the board". It is all good. I will not stoop to his level..however if he continues to have difficulty moving on from the personal aspect of our interactions...then I will gladly help him out...starting with posts on Yelp..TA and Boston.com about a certain south shore business "owner" who uses the names of ex girlfriends to write fake reviews about "his" business...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Gee, just the other day you were condemning him for the actions for some backward 55 bed hospital and accusing him for being all about business. Sure you did not mention his name but you said Catholic Church and who would be more in charge of the catholic church then the Pope? I guess your views change like the New England weather or whoever's personal email you are trying to get.

Ooooo-k.   That would be a challenge for you! Do YOU even know how many email addresses YOU have of YOUR own? It's has to be some where in the 100's!! 

Interesting..and not surprising. I am following a policy of ignoring Jackbu. Some people just simply look for attention and don't care whether it is positive or negative. More than one person on this site has commented the lack of class and character he has shown with the personal comments regarding e-mail exchanges that happened "off the board". It is all good. I will not stoop to his level..however if he continues to have difficulty moving on from the personal aspect of our interactions...then I will gladly help him out...starting with posts on Yelp..TA and Boston.com about a certain south shore business "owner" who uses the names of ex girlfriends to write fake reviews about "his" business...

cricket,

I agree about those comments. At the time I did not comment because I did not want to feed the beast, so to speak.

I have been holding back but I think I can put this all to rest. When jack started posting again after the paywall went up he made it clear he had been on suspension...not a voluntary BDC vacation.

Before that he also made it clear there were 2 categories of posters he would not deal with. Those with multiple screen names and those who had been suspended. I remember all this quite well.

jack clearly falls in the second category. If his code includes not dealing with those posters who have been suspended, then what is he doing posting on BDC? Both logic and integrity dictates that jack voluntarily deactivates his account and post only on sites where he has not been suspended/banned.

He set the rules. Now he should man up and follow through.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

My vote is for Greginmeffa.  Or maybe Stephen Colbert...