POTUS Selfies with Friends at Mandela Memorial

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: POTUS Selfies with Friends at Mandela Memorial

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Touchy group of defenders.  I guess the defense wouldn't be so robust if it didn't strike a nerve for you.

So you only consider yourself wrong when no one reacts to what you say? And if people are saying "holy &*(, are you serious?" that means that you're right?

Are you sure you have that the right way around?

See, andie, here's another one: when the poster wants to add strength to their argument where it lacks substance, the poster declares that their opponents are [insert emotion of choice].

Look it's not a big deal

Mmmmmhmmm....       

Nice tag team with you and ACC

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Touchy group of defenders.  I guess the defense wouldn't be so robust if it didn't strike a nerve for you.

Look it's not a big deal, but what I find amusing is the compulsion to defend ever issue with Obama.  

Heh, heh, heh ... only a complete moron would use "I got 'em riled up" as some kind of validation of an argument.

Seriously, who, but a three yr old would use such an immature approach to declare themselves right?

That's just so ignorant as to be laughable.

But hey, you can always continue to feel smug in you sanctimonious self-righteousness... no one can take that from you.

I always knew you'd get down to just insults when the ammo box ran dry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I see ACC still has the "tough guy" act going.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Hold on...maybe Joe has a point.

Recall how much of a reaction it got when some left posters claimed that Bush lied about WMDs to deceive us into invading Iraq.

"I guess that struck a nerve"....     

The same reaction to the comment that Clinton bombed an aspirin factory to take the focus off of Lewinsky.

Criticism over a selfie the same level of preceived lies about WMDs or you can keep it if you like?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I always knew you'd get down to just insults when the ammo box ran dry.

Where as you got down to declaring that you "struck a nerve" and that your opponents must be teaming up on you?

Didn't work out so well for him, either:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/international/mission%20accomplished%20banner%2023423423.jpg

Well I never expected to see such ardent support for what I thought was classless, selfies at funeral's/memorials.  The response of this thread was just as strong as rebutting the Obama Benghazi criticism.

BTW, mission accomplished one of Bush's worst moments but if you remember he never made the phrase the banner was put up my an overly supportive DOD.

So yes striking a nerve by pointing out a social faux pas, and the opinion is not just mine go back and read the BDC wire post I made earlier, really caused the supporters to get riled up.

I find the strong reactions amusing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Nice deflection when the truth is uncomfortable.

The only "truth" is you getting your panties wadded up.

No more or less.

Yet another deflection.  

I'm not Irate or jumping up and down,... that doesn't change my opinion that it makes POTUS look crass acting like a teenage girl.

How can that be 'truth' when it's just your opinion, then...?

Look, we know you dislike the guy.  Fine.  But this petty stuff just makes you look petty...nobody else.

If you can't get a clue, then at least get some better material....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I hold world leaders to a higher standard.

And you hold this one to an impossible standard hatched in your feverish imagination and incubated on your derision and self-righteousness.

Drop the charade.  It's embarrassing.

Well if he was my grandson, I would have taken his iPhone away for the rest of the day.

"Get off of my lawn, you kids...!!"

Whatever you say, Mr. Wilson....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Can't make this stuff up !!!!   As they say down south .......  "THAT BOY AIN'T RIGHT" !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm defending noone.

I'm criticizing you for being a sanctimonious cry-baby.

No surprise you can't tell the difference....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Uh-oh, I guess I got too riled up in my posts ...seems I've hurt joe's 'moderate' sensibilities.

Hey, when ya get a chance ... can ya write down these new rules of debate ya'll want everyone else to play by?

I'm having a tough time keeping track;

Does 'act of terror' <> or = 'terrorist act'

Is the best way to win an argument to just declare yourself the winner by virtue of the tenor of the responses?

Who is more 'amusing', the person who responds to a non-issue or the idiot who posted it in the first place?

Does personal judgement of right and wrong supercede the norms and traditions of other cultures whenever conflict between the two arises?

These are just a few of the questions you need to address when rewriting the rules of debate....

ACC

I think we've only partially agreed on a few issues, so I never assume we're going to find agreement.  But when I go back and forth I do try to talk to issues as opposed to personal attacks.  When it changes, I do disengage.

Yes I posted what I preceived to be a social faux pas by POTUS.  Yes I was surprised how quickly how robustly it was defended.  I was amused.

Act of terror is a NYT PC squishy way of saying terrorist act. 

I fully expect that 9 times out of 10 we'll disagree and that on the other 10% there may be elements of overlapping agreement that we both see but neither could really agree to.

We all judge issues based upon our norms, values and life experiences and its always a challenge to try and look from another's perspective.

Opinions are like butholes and we all have them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Well, at least things can't be as bad in this country as some say, if this is what we're getting worked up about...  

Have to agree with you there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Also, I am not sure what,  if anything,  to make of Obama shaking hands with Raoul Castro...

But , just in case someone may not like it, Obama's loyal media in seconds, immediately came rushing to his defense... faster than even the kneejerk Obama defender WDYWN on BDC would have! 

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/12/10/cnn-cuomo-obama-castr-handshake-not-be-misunderstood

"CNN alternately applauded and made excuses for the handshake"

Obviously worried that shaking hands with a dictator might hurt Obama politically, the media were quick to play goalie. CNN's Chris Cuomo went so far as to read Obama's mind and report on the president's true intent:

And that handshake obviously was a huge moment. But not to be misunderstood, the handshake with Raul Castro, the president of Cuba, we believe was President Obama showing respect to Nelson Mandela and the occasion of today, the spirit of reconciliation. Of course, it will be dissected politically. …

No matter the ongoing political disputes, on this day, it was about something bigger. It was about forgiveness and reconciliation, because it was about a man who was bigger: Nelson Mandela. And that is what the tribute has been all about today.

Cuomo never bothered to mention that Castro is a dictator.  

UPDATE: Reporting during the 9am hour, CNN's Jim Acosta said that  it "would have been sort of impolite" for Obama not to shake hands with Raul Castro. Carol Costello suggested that the handshake "surely helps" to thaw the Cold War mentality between Cuba and America. Acosta reminded Costello that Cuba is in its fourth year of holding American Alan Gross. At no time did Costello or Acosta correctly refer to Castro as what he is: a dictator.

The Weekly Standard grabbed CNN video of an excited Chrstiane Amanpour: "Castro, he's shaking hands with Raúl Castro! ... This is a man, it is so true, who brought people together in life and he continues to bring people together today."

Because everyone in the elite media either coordinates or thinks alike (it has to be one or the other), moments later the USA Today's Susan Page tweeted out the exact same spin...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I was amused.

No...see...that sentence? THATis amusing.

And telling.

Clearly, ACC struck a nerve.

ACC

Asked a question and I answered.  I do have a problem being PC.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Nice deflection when the truth is uncomfortable.

The only "truth" is you getting your panties wadded up.

No more or less.

Yet another deflection.  

I'm not Irate or jumping up and down,... that doesn't change my opinion that it makes POTUS look crass acting like a teenage girl.

How can that be 'truth' when it's just your opinion, then...?

Look, we know you dislike the guy.  Fine.  But this petty stuff just makes you look petty...nobody else.

If you can't get a clue, then at least get some better material....

Yes let's debate opinion vs. truths.

Yes I dislike Obama's policies, opinions, leadership skill (Buck doesn't stop with him), and management style (kill the messenger vs. heading off problems whick lead to ACA roll out problem).  It's my opinion, the truth I lie not.

...and  watching you getting your shorts in a bunch because I posted about Obama's selfie and my opinon of it priceless.

That material just dropped into my lap via BDC and embedded bdcwire link, I only just shared.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

The irony that the left had branded Bush the uncouth idiot, but idolizes this embarrassment is absolutely amazing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Jeffrey Goldberg         @JeffreyGoldberg Follow

"Also, for those readying another accusation, Obama did not bow to Raul Castro; the guy is very short, so Obama bent down to reach him"

LOL....awful defensive, arent we?

The liberal media bows down  to their Dear Leader and shines his shoes, and swabs his rump.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Uh-oh, I guess I got too riled up in my posts ...seems I've hurt joe's 'moderate' sensibilities.

Hey, when ya get a chance ... can ya write down these new rules of debate ya'll want everyone else to play by?

I'm having a tough time keeping track;

Does 'act of terror' <> or = 'terrorist act'

Is the best way to win an argument to just declare yourself the winner by virtue of the tenor of the responses?

Who is more 'amusing', the person who responds to a non-issue or the idiot who posted it in the first place?

Does personal judgement of right and wrong supercede the norms and traditions of other cultures whenever conflict between the two arises?

These are just a few of the questions you need to address when rewriting the rules of debate....

ACC

I think we've only partially agreed on a few issues, so I never assume we're going to find agreement.  But when I go back and forth I do try to talk to issues as opposed to personal attacks.  When it changes, I do disengage.

Yes I posted what I preceived to be a social faux pas by POTUS.  Yes I was surprised how quickly how robustly it was defended.  I was amused.

I fully expect that 9 times out of 10 we'll disagree and that on the other 10% there may be elements of overlapping agreement that we both see but neither could really agree to.

We all judge issues based upon our norms, values and life experiences and its always a challenge to try and look from another's perspective.

Opinions are like butholes and we all have them.

Quoting Dirty Harry with a twist, Joe?

Gee, color me surprised.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

This kind of sums up the mentality of our POTUS.

Takning selfies at the Mandela Memorial while Michelle can't believe it.  What an immature and classless thing to do.

454772265.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge

Oh dear Lord, this has gotten so old already, and it hasn't even been a day yet.

First of all, technically, it isn't a selfie as there were also two other people in the supposed "selfie"

Second, Obama wasn't actually the primary person holding the phone, ergo the whole "selfie" concept is further destroyed.

Third, unless you can provide us with an image of the "selfie" (see my second point and realize that from a national security viewpoint that it's not Obamas phone), it's entirely possible that they were viewing a video, photo, or some other form of digital media that might make them smile.

Fourth, people are allowed, and actually encouraged to smile, at a funeral.

Fifth. Much Ado About Nothing. Shakespeare.

Joe quotes Dirty Harry/Eastwood. The liberal quotes Shakespeare.

Shakespeare beats Dirty Harry/Eastwood.

Liberals win.

Prize. Thread is over and out. (Or should be)  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Prize?   The OED gets the prize.  

'Selfie' is OED's word of the year.    The OED, as the unsurpassed authority on the English language, trumps all else.  ;) 

That, of course, can't guarantee, that the word is used correctly, so tell that to the media, since the media reported the pic in question as a 'selfie'; no one here can take credit for what the media started.

PS The word of the year was the topic of an editorial in the Globe today.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Prize?   The OED gets the prize.  

'Selfie' is OED's word of the year.    The OED, as the unsurpassed authority on the English language, trumps all else.  ;) 

That, of course, can't guarantee, that the word is used correctly, so tell that to the media, since the media reported the pic in question as a 'selfie'; no one here can take credit for what the media started.

PS The word of the year was the topic of an editorial in the Globe today.  

yogafriend,

Nice segue!

I did not know that the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) had declared its word of the year, much less that it was "selfie".

As you say, they are the unsurpassed authority...trumping all others.

I also never would have guessed "selfie" in a million years.

Will check out that editorial you pointed out. Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts