Progressive Democrats bugged McConnell's office: Who would have guessed it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Progressive Democrats bugged McConnell's office: Who would have guessed it?

http://wfpl.org/post/source-progress-kentucky-behind-mitch-mcconnell-campaign-recording

Who would have known liberals might have done such a thing? Why, aren't they concerned with fair and open campaigns?

A secret recording of a campaign strategy session between U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell and his advisors was taped by leaders of the Progress Kentucky super PAC, says a longtime local Democratic operative.

Mother Jones Magazine released the tape this week. The meeting itself took place on Feb. 2.

Jacob Conway, who is on the executive committee of the Jefferson County Democratic Party, says that day, Shawn Reilly and Curtis Morrison, who founded and volunteered for Progress Kentucky, respectively, bragged to him about how they recorded the meeting.

Morrison and Reilly did not attend the open house, but they told Conway they arrived later and were able to hear the meeting from the hallway.

“They were in the hallway after the, I guess after the celebration and hoopla ended, apparently these people broke for lunch and had a strategy meeting, which is, in every campaign I've been affiliated with, makes perfect sense,” says Conway. “One of them held the elevator, the other one did the recording and they left. That was what they told to me from them directly.”

The meeting room door is next to the elevators on that floor. McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton has told multiple media outlets the door was shut and locked on Feb. 2. But the door has a vent at the bottom and a large gap underneath.

“Apparently the gentlemen overheard the conversation and decided to record it with a phone or recording device they had in their pocket. Could've been an iPhone, could've been a Flip camera or something like that,” Conway say.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Re: Progressive Democrats bugged McConnell's office: Who would have guessed it?

Apparently CLC didn't read the updated version!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

I'm no lawyer but I would think that if the people in the meeting were speaking loud enough to be heard in the hallway then they wouldn't have an expectation of privacy.

Standing in a public hallway and being able to hear what people are saying does not exactly rise to "Watergate" levels or even "bugging" but I understand your need for hyperbole, otherwise this would be a non-story.

Another example of who's ox is getting gored.

I doubt that the people crowing now over the surreptitious of a conversation loud enough to be heard in a public hallway were not so generous in defense of Acorn and the violation of their privacy.

ACORN? Really?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

If, this is true then it's hardly a crime.

It seems odd that a dem official would come forth now unless he is trying to make it appear innocent or happenstance.

Im with WDYWN let the investogation play out if, this it then it's no big deal to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The issue concent sent, as I understand it.  If none of the parties engaged in the conversation consented to the recording, it's illegal, right? As far as the eavesdropping: they were not party to the conversation, and therefore their recording was illegal.

Am I right?