Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/university-files-charges-against-student-who-refused-to-stomp-on-jesus.html

A Florida Atlantic University student who filed a complaint against his professor after he was ordered to stomp on the name of Jesus has been brought up on academic charges by the school and may no longer attend class, according to documents obtained by Fox News.

Rotela, a devout Mormon, ran afoul of the university after he refused to participate in a classroom assignment that involved writing the name “Jesus” on a piece of paper – and then stomping on it.

The university initially defended the Christ-bashing lesson which is included textbook titled, “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition.”

Fox News obtained a synopsis of the lesson taught by Deandre Poole, who also happens to be vice chair of the Palm Beach County Democratic Party.

“Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”

“The textbook reveals the agenda,” he said. “So-called intellectual enlightenment is stomping on everything that has held western civilization together for the past 2,000 years.”

Paul Kengor, the executive director of the Center for Vision and Values at Grove City College, told Fox News he’s not surprised by the classroom lesson.

“These are the new secular disciples of ‘diversity’ and ‘tolerance’ – empty buzzwords that make liberals and progressives feel good while they often refuse to tolerate and sometimes even assault traditional Christian and conservative beliefs,” Kengor said.

Kengor said classes like the one at Florida Atlantic University demonstrate the contempt many public institutions hold for people of faith.

“It also reflects the rising confidence and aggression of the new secularists and atheists, especially at our sick and surreal modern universities,” he said.

The university did not explain why students were only instructed to write the name of Jesus – and not the name of Mohammed or another religious figure.

“Gee, I wonder if the instructor would dare do this with the name of Mohammed,” Kengor wondered.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

I understand the process here.  It is desensitization.  It is brainwashing.  It has no place in this type off course.  How does being totally insensitive to one's beliefs, others beliefs give you more understanding?  It doesn't. It creates an environment where Christianity is considered an invalid choice within this multi-cultural context.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I understand the process here.  It is desensitization.  It is brainwashing.  It has no place in this type off course.  How does being totally insensitive to one's beliefs, others beliefs give you more understanding?  It doesn't. It creates an environment where Christianity is considered an invalid choice within this multi-cultural context.

Said the pot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

“It also reflects the rising confidence and aggression of the new secularists and atheists, especially at our sick and surreal modern universities,”

Not to mention Christophobes.

But kudos to the kid who refused to be a lemming, I'll bet he goes far in life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Its a piece of paper.  

The school is overreacting, the student is overreacting, and the right wing media machine is (as expected) overreacting, and all of them for their troubles look like morons. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Its a piece of paper.

Uh huh, remember when the left when nucking futz over the alleged "flushing of the Koran" at Guantanamo or when that idiot pastor decided to burn a Koran? Were you out there saying "It's just a pile of printed paper, nothing to get excited about." Because, if you were, I don't remember it.

The Koran is more a bound stack of papers now isnt it?  Regardless, the issue with that was more to do with the the pastor filming the burning for the world to see the response was near universal "do that and you will potentially endanger the lives of US service people who are in active war zones".  Honestly, I could care less if he wrapped the thing in bacon.  It doesn't mean anything to me, but I can understand why some people got highly agitated. 

This wasn't a Holy Scripture or book, it was 2 cents worth of scrap paper with a word written on it.  If Mormons have some tenent that prevents them from stepping on paper with Jesus written on it, then forgive my ignorance (its hard to keep track of every religious peculiar beliefs). 

This whole thing is little more than fodder for the perpetually outraged culture warriors to shake their head at and claim persecution all because some mormon kid, in some second rate Florida college classroom got offended about stepping on a piece with Jesus written on it (even though Jesus is fairly common name), and the net result of it all is someone is going to hold this up as PROOF POSITVE OF THE LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO DO SOMETHING OR OTHER.

Its nonsense and all you guys with your big boy panties all bunched up know it. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The Koran is more a bound stack of papers now isnt it?

Oh, I see. So some papers with symbols of some sort are more important than other papers with symbols. And you are just the person who is able to define for us which symbol infused papers are the important ones and which ones aren't.  Only people like you are to be the arbiters of politically correct outrage.  Did I get that right?

So, instead of a Koran how about we talk about the cartoon image of the prophet? Would you be okay with this professor handing out papers with the image of Mohammed on it and having the class step on them? Or, conversely, would you be happy if a Christian group decide to hand out papers with the Lord's prayer on it to all the children at the local middle school? After all, it's just a piece of paper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

If Mormons have some tenent that prevents them from stepping on paper with Jesus written on it, then forgive my ignorance (its hard to keep track of every religious peculiar beliefs).

---------------------------------------

Try the Third Commandment.

To order a student to violate a commandment and punish him for refusing to do so is just fcking stupid.  If you can't see that, then this is over

Ok thats a stretch, considering "Jesus" is still a very common name and there is nothing about the exercise as described that says "Jesus" HAD to be in reference to Jesus Christ. 

So if "John" was  written on the paper would we assume it was referring to John the Apostle?    In other words, the word only had a particular meaning to the student because he decided the name written on the paper had to be in reference to Jesus Christ, which seems to be part of the point of the exercise (as stupid as it was).

Again, I find the whole situtation to be stupid on everyone's part as I have said now several times. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

A really stupid and needlessly divisive lesson plan by the teacher.

Kudos to the kid for standing up for his rights. 

And a typical overreaction by some conservatives over the actions of one idiot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

Said the pot.

What are you talking about?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Oh, I see. So some papers with symbols of some sort are more important than other papers with symbols. And you are just the person who is able to define for us which symbol infused papers are the important ones and which ones aren't.  Only people like you are to be the arbiters of politically correct outrage.  Did I get that right?

So, instead of a Koran how about we talk about the cartoon image of the prophet? Would you be okay with this professor handing out papers with the image of Mohammed on it and having the class step on them? Or, conversely, would you be happy if a Christian group decide to hand out papers with the Lord's prayer on it to all the children at the local middle school? After all, it's just a piece of paper.

Take your tampon out.  If you think any of these books (Bible, Koran, piece of paper with Jesus written on it) is going to provide you with eternal salvation from the magical sky wizard and his zombie son, then have it.  People hold these bronze age works up to be literal words of god in the face an alarming lack of evidence to validate what is contained in those texts.  And you know what?  Thats great.  I could care less whether you or the guy next to you bangs your head on the floor fives time a day, does a weekly drive thru sermon, or sings to the trees in the forest.  But when I see people getting all fired up over something like the exercise described in the first post the idiocy and absurdity is too much to take seriously.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

The exercise is fine.  Its punish the kid for refusing to take part in it that is idiotic.

I think we both agree with that

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Its a piece of paper.

Uh huh, remember when the left when nucking futz over the alleged "flushing of the Koran" at Guantanamo or when that idiot pastor decided to burn a Koran? Were you out there saying "It's just a pile of printed paper, nothing to get excited about." Because, if you were, I don't remember it.

The Koran is more a bound stack of papers now isnt it?  Regardless, the issue with that was more to do with the the pastor filming the burning for the world to see the response was near universal "do that and you will potentially endanger the lives of US service people who are in active war zones".  Honestly, I could care less if he wrapped the thing in bacon.  It doesn't mean anything to me, but I can understand why some people got highly agitated. 

This wasn't a Holy Scripture or book, it was 2 cents worth of scrap paper with a word written on it.  If Mormons have some tenent that prevents them from stepping on paper with Jesus written on it, then forgive my ignorance (its hard to keep track of every religious peculiar beliefs). 

This whole thing is little more than fodder for the perpetually outraged culture warriors to shake their head at and claim persecution all because some mormon kid, in some second rate Florida college classroom got offended about stepping on a piece with Jesus written on it (even though Jesus is fairly common name), and the net result of it all is someone is going to hold this up as PROOF POSITVE OF THE LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO DO SOMETHING OR OTHER.

It is without a doubt liberal group-think, though a conspiracy?  well, only if you consider a relentless attack on christianity  by the left a conspiracy. 

I tend to think of it somewhat differently.  It is a fundemental cultural shift towards disrespecting certain groups (i.e. Christians, responsible gun owners), and going out of your way to respect other groups ( Muslims, athiests).  I can only speculate as to what is going on.  I think that fearing a group has a lot to do with it, perhaps squeaky wheel syndrome as well.

But, the Stomping on Jesus on paper thing?  Pure desensitization.   It is similar to what POW's go through.  Every few days they are made to sign papers or make proclamations in front of others disavowing everything that they beleive in, country, faith, baseball, whatever.  Eventually, they come to the point where they beleive their own denunciations.  

That's what this exercise is about.  If you can get them to stomp on jesus, whether they beleive or not, you have just shown them that disrespecting others christian beliefs is OK.  Soon, you will have them all beleiving that it is a good thing to stomp on Jesus, wherever and whenever the topic comes up.  Not hard to figure out.  This exercise IS about teaching students to disrespect Christianity.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Take your tampon out.  If you think any of these books (Bible, Koran, piece of paper with Jesus written on it) is going to provide you with eternal salvation from the magical sky wizard and his zombie son, then have it.  People hold these bronze age works up to be literal words of god in the face an alarming lack of evidence to validate what is contained in those texts.  And you know what?  Thats great.  I could care less whether you or the guy next to you bangs your head on the floor fives time a day, does a weekly drive thru sermon, or sings to the trees in the forest.  But when I see people getting all fired up over something like the exercise described in the first post the idiocy and absurdity is too much to take seriously.

It's not about what you think, but what the beleiver in the Koran thinks, what the student who would not stomp on Jesus thinks.

Burning a Koran is disrespecting their belief.  that's why it is burned, as the nutjob in Florida was attempting to do.  What he was doing was attempting a very obcene attempt at disrespecting muslims.  Bad.  No way around it. 

The teacher, in this case is at the same moral level as that nutjob preacher. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

A really stupid and needlessly divisive lesson plan by the teacher.

Kudos to the kid for standing up for his rights. 

And a typical overreaction by some conservatives over the actions of one idiot.

So where do you come down on the school punishing the kid that you just Kudo'd?

A potential lawsuit...  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Let try this exercise, lets have our professor put the N word (plural) on a piece of paper, hand it out to the class, and have them stomp on it.

I think you'd see plenty of outrage,  only this time it would come from the both conservatives and the hipocrite frauds of the left.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Its a piece of paper.

It is without a doubt liberal group-think, though a conspiracy?  well, only if you consider a relentless attack on christianity  by the left a conspiracy. 

I tend to think of it somewhat differently.  It is a fundemental cultural shift towards disrespecting certain groups (i.e. Christians, responsible gun owners), and going out of your way to respect other groups ( Muslims, athiests).  I can only speculate as to what is going on.  I think that fearing a group has a lot to do with it, perhaps squeaky wheel syndrome as well.

But, the Stomping on Jesus on paper thing?  Pure desensitization.   It is similar to what POW's go through.  Every few days they are made to sign papers or make proclamations in front of others disavowing everything that they beleive in, country, faith, baseball, whatever.  Eventually, they come to the point where they beleive their own denunciations.  

That's what this exercise is about.  If you can get them to stomp on jesus, whether they beleive or not, you have just shown them that disrespecting others christian beliefs is OK.  Soon, you will have them all beleiving that it is a good thing to stomp on Jesus, wherever and whenever the topic comes up.  Not hard to figure out.  This exercise IS about teaching students to disrespect Christianity.

Yeah the exercise is about group think and desensitization.  So what is religion in general? 

Pot meet kettle. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

It's not about what you think, but what the beleiver in the Koran thinks, what the student who would not stomp on Jesus thinks.

Burning a Koran is disrespecting their belief.  that's why it is burned, as the nutjob in Florida was attempting to do.  What he was doing was attempting a very obcene attempt at disrespecting muslims.  Bad.  No way around it. 

The teacher, in this case is at the same moral level as that nutjob preacher. 

Actually the professor isn't even close to that guy.  If he had put a bible on the floor and had people stomp on it I'd agree with you and probably think he should, at a minimum, be suspended.  But as it stands I think the point of the exercise is flying over your head.