Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Re: Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Its a piece of paper.

Uh huh, remember when the left when nucking futz over the alleged "flushing of the Koran" at Guantanamo or when that idiot pastor decided to burn a Koran? Were you out there saying "It's just a pile of printed paper, nothing to get excited about." Because, if you were, I don't remember it.

The Koran is more a bound stack of papers now isnt it?  Regardless, the issue with that was more to do with the the pastor filming the burning for the world to see the response was near universal "do that and you will potentially endanger the lives of US service people who are in active war zones".  Honestly, I could care less if he wrapped the thing in bacon.  It doesn't mean anything to me, but I can understand why some people got highly agitated. 

This wasn't a Holy Scripture or book, it was 2 cents worth of scrap paper with a word written on it.  If Mormons have some tenent that prevents them from stepping on paper with Jesus written on it, then forgive my ignorance (its hard to keep track of every religious peculiar beliefs). 

This whole thing is little more than fodder for the perpetually outraged culture warriors to shake their head at and claim persecution all because some mormon kid, in some second rate Florida college classroom got offended about stepping on a piece with Jesus written on it (even though Jesus is fairly common name), and the net result of it all is someone is going to hold this up as PROOF POSITVE OF THE LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO DO SOMETHING OR OTHER.

Its nonsense and all you guys with your big boy panties all bunched up know it. 

It is without a doubt liberal group-think, though a conspiracy?  well, only if you consider a relentless attack on christianity  by the left a conspiracy. 

I tend to think of it somewhat differently.  It is a fundemental cultural shift towards disrespecting certain groups (i.e. Christians, responsible gun owners), and going out of your way to respect other groups ( Muslims, athiests).  I can only speculate as to what is going on.  I think that fearing a group has a lot to do with it, perhaps squeaky wheel syndrome as well.

But, the Stomping on Jesus on paper thing?  Pure desensitization.   It is similar to what POW's go through.  Every few days they are made to sign papers or make proclamations in front of others disavowing everything that they beleive in, country, faith, baseball, whatever.  Eventually, they come to the point where they beleive their own denunciations.  

That's what this exercise is about.  If you can get them to stomp on jesus, whether they beleive or not, you have just shown them that disrespecting others christian beliefs is OK.  Soon, you will have them all beleiving that it is a good thing to stomp on Jesus, wherever and whenever the topic comes up.  Not hard to figure out.  This exercise IS about teaching students to disrespect Christianity.

You have it all figured out like the good little ideologue you are. And yet you actually know very little indeed.  Conspiracy theorists (and that is what you are) are lazy thinkers.  Why don't you focus on your own views before you seek to characterize the views of others?  You can't even effectively define conservatism... don't even attempt the other side.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Or, put Sandra Fluke's name on a piece of paper, hand it out to a class, and have them stomp on it.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Its a piece of paper.

Uh huh, remember when the left when nucking futz over the alleged "flushing of the Koran" at Guantanamo or when that idiot pastor decided to burn a Koran? Were you out there saying "It's just a pile of printed paper, nothing to get excited about." Because, if you were, I don't remember it.

The Koran is more a bound stack of papers now isnt it?  Regardless, the issue with that was more to do with the the pastor filming the burning for the world to see the response was near universal "do that and you will potentially endanger the lives of US service people who are in active war zones".  Honestly, I could care less if he wrapped the thing in bacon.  It doesn't mean anything to me, but I can understand why some people got highly agitated. 

This wasn't a Holy Scripture or book, it was 2 cents worth of scrap paper with a word written on it.  If Mormons have some tenent that prevents them from stepping on paper with Jesus written on it, then forgive my ignorance (its hard to keep track of every religious peculiar beliefs). 

This whole thing is little more than fodder for the perpetually outraged culture warriors to shake their head at and claim persecution all because some mormon kid, in some second rate Florida college classroom got offended about stepping on a piece with Jesus written on it (even though Jesus is fairly common name), and the net result of it all is someone is going to hold this up as PROOF POSITVE OF THE LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO DO SOMETHING OR OTHER.

It is without a doubt liberal group-think, though a conspiracy?  well, only if you consider a relentless attack on christianity  by the left a conspiracy. 

I tend to think of it somewhat differently.  It is a fundemental cultural shift towards disrespecting certain groups (i.e. Christians, responsible gun owners), and going out of your way to respect other groups ( Muslims, athiests).  I can only speculate as to what is going on.  I think that fearing a group has a lot to do with it, perhaps squeaky wheel syndrome as well.

But, the Stomping on Jesus on paper thing?  Pure desensitization.   It is similar to what POW's go through.  Every few days they are made to sign papers or make proclamations in front of others disavowing everything that they beleive in, country, faith, baseball, whatever.  Eventually, they come to the point where they beleive their own denunciations.  

That's what this exercise is about.  If you can get them to stomp on jesus, whether they beleive or not, you have just shown them that disrespecting others christian beliefs is OK.  Soon, you will have them all beleiving that it is a good thing to stomp on Jesus, wherever and whenever the topic comes up.  Not hard to figure out.  This exercise IS about teaching students to disrespect Christianity.

Yeah the exercise is about group think and desensitization.  So what is religion in general? 

Pot meet kettle. 

Religion is desinsitization?  What planet are you on?

Again, it is not about what YOU think, it is about what the OFFENDED think.

Come on, this is liberal thought process 101.  I think what is throwing you off is that Christianity is the one being offended.  You can't get by that.  As several people have tired to explain, try putting Mohammad, the "n" word, for example, and the outrage would have people in the street.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Or, put Sandra Fluke's name on a piece of paper, hand it out to a class, and have them stomp on it.

Actually, you put her name, draw some birth control pills, and the Obama campaign sticker.  Then stomp on it.

I think you would end up in hiding like the reporter who started "Draw Mohammad Day".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

Its a piece of paper.

You have it all figured out like the good little ideologue you are. And yet you actually know very little indeed.  Conspiracy theorists (and that is what you are) are lazy thinkers.  Why don't you focus on your own views before you seek to characterize the views of others?  You can't even effectively define conservatism... don't even attempt the other side.

Really?  What does my ideology have to do with it?  I went out of my way to point out that it is not a conspiracy, but you missed that in your zeal to do a bit of christian bashing, oh, and conservative bashing.  you are lookign like an idiot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What, exactly, is the offense here to christians...?

The name "Jesus" is not sacred.   

The image of "Jesus" might be depending on the context.

On the vast scale of hysterically overwrought religious grievances, this seems pretty banal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

On the vast scale of hysterically overwrought religious grievances, this seems pretty banal.

To christians, Jesus is God.  To write "Jesus" on a peice of paper and stomp on it, in this context, as part of a class, aimed at creating "cultural dialog" or whatever the title of the class is, is as offensive as burning the Koran, for example, to create "cultural dialog".

However, don't look for christains to riot in the streets over it.  Why?  Because we think differently about what the offense means.  Still, it is offensive.  Apparently, you think it isnlt, for the sole reason that it is about Christians.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

It is really interesting to see the progressives come out of the woodwork and attack those who think this is offensive.  I thnk it says a lot about the hatred and anger behind most progressive icons and ideas.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I'm not religious at all, probably because I was raise in the Catholic religion : ), but who is anyone to judge what is or isn't sacred to someone who IS very religious? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

x

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I find gagging and punishing the kid, and lying about it, to be the most offensive.

That's the punishment for questionioning liberal orthodoxy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

There is no "liberal orthodoxy", this is literally just a professor performing an exercise that went awry and the school bombed on their response to the issue.  Get off your high horse, no one is coming to take your god away. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It is really interesting to see the progressives come out of the woodwork and attack those who think this is offensive.  I thnk it says a lot about the hatred and anger behind most progressive icons and ideas.

I'm not attacking.  I'm just questioning it, because it doesn't make much sense.

Religion is fallible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

To christians, Jesus is God.  To write "Jesus" on a peice of paper and stomp on it, in this context, as part of a class, aimed at creating "cultural dialog" or whatever the title of the class is, is as offensive as burning the Koran, for example, to create "cultural dialog".

Apparently, you think it isnlt, for the sole reason that it is about Christians.

But why does THIS context make it offensive vs. other contexts...?  

Evidently, I don't...because I'm not a christian...but also because the idea of a piece of paper with some writing on it being sacred doesn't make sense to me.  (It's not like this was the bible.)

Would you still be offended is the paper said "god" (lower-case g)?  What other names are off-limits in your version of christianity...?  

IF I was a christian and wasn't personally offended by such an act, then would that also offend you...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I'm not religious at all, probably because I was raise in the Catholic religion : ), but who is anyone to judge what is or isn't sacred to someone who IS very religious? 

I'm not judging anything.  To me, "Jesus" is just a name, like "Fred" or "Charlie" or "Gladys"....or "Muhammed".

We're talking about symbolism, and the fact that SOME people think one written name holds higher symbolic value than another.

And for the record, I really have no major problems with Jesus....I just don't worship the guy.  As the song says, "Jesus is just alright with me."

Great song, btw.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I understand the process here.  It is desensitization.  It is brainwashing.  It has no place in this type off course.  How does being totally insensitive to one's beliefs, others beliefs give you more understanding?  It doesn't. It creates an environment where Christianity is considered an invalid choice within this multi-cultural context.

This is pure babble....a string of fallacies.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

but who is anyone to judge what is or isn't sacred to someone who IS very religious?

Religions tend to state explicit rules and prohibitions. If someone says "I'm a devout X", they're telling you exactly what they do and do not find sacred.

To wit, it's pretty easy to judge that not eating pork is kind of high on the list for an Orthodox Jew.

Ah, so unless there's an explicit rule then we can just brush off what someone states they are offended by? Is there an explicit rule within the Muslim religion that one can't burn the Koran?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

There is no "liberal orthodoxy"

Sure, except that the insensitive disregard for a belief system that you and your fellow progressives do not subscribe to has just proved the opposite. Demonstrating yet again that that your professed belief in multiculturalism and tolerance of the Other is only operative when it serves a higher progressive purpose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

The student was ordered to violate a primary tenent of his religious belief, you know, a COMMANDMENT, and was punished for refusing to do so.

THAT is bullsht and despicable.

Possibly an interesting question. Is not a primary tenet of Judiasm and Christianity was to reject idols?

Jesus is the one the believer worships.

A picture of him? Well, ceci n'est pas Jesus. And to treat that picture with worshipful respect would be idolatry. Now, that obviously doesn't mean that stamping on it becomes a good thing. But really, is it that bad given the Christian view of idolatry?

That said, this was absurdly stupid. This sort of nonsense is a #1 way to get yourself in trouble as a public servant.

Final comment: How many here thought it was "despicable" for Jones to defile (burn) a koran?

And not because of his purpose (hoping fanatics would murder people so he could defame muslims as a whole)....but because it was someone's religious object being destroyed?

Hmmm?

I thought it was wrong.

Look, if we don't respect each other, even though we may disagree, then we are lost as a society.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I understand the process here.  It is desensitization.  It is brainwashing.  It has no place in this type off course.  How does being totally insensitive to one's beliefs, others beliefs give you more understanding?  It doesn't. It creates an environment where Christianity is considered an invalid choice within this multi-cultural context.

This is pure babble....a string of fallacies.

Sure.  

So, you would have no problem if the teacher said "write the words 'Barak H. Obama' on a piece of paper, put it on the floor, and stomp on it"?  How about if the words were "Gay Marriage"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Apparently, you think it isnlt, for the sole reason that it is about Christians.

But why does THIS context make it offensive vs. other contexts...?  

Evidently, I don't...because I'm not a christian...but also because the idea of a piece of paper with some writing on it being sacred doesn't make sense to me.  (It's not like this was the bible.)

Would you still be offended is the paper said "god" (lower-case g)?  What other names are off-limits in your version of christianity...?  

IF I was a christian and wasn't personally offended by such an act, then would that also offend you...?

Then, what's the purpose of the exercise?  To see if there is gum on the bottom of the students shoes?

If the teacher had a purpose other than the one that it seems to be, that we need to step on Jesus as a way of desensitizing us to our chritian context, then what is it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Ah, so unless there's an explicit rule then we can just brush off what someone states they are offended by?

I didn't say that, but don't let the fact stop you in your eternal quest to be obnoxious.

Really? Then please...explain what you ACTUALLY meant by your reply.

Me:

but who is anyone to judge what is or isn't sacred to someone who IS very religious?

WDYWN:

Religions tend to state explicit rules and prohibitions. If someone says "I'm a devout X", they're telling you exactly what they do and do not find sacred.

To wit, it's pretty easy to judge that not eating pork is kind of high on the list for an Orthodox Jew.

25. This post has been removed.