Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Progressive tolerance display in college classroom: stomp on Jesus

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

What I find to be most interesting is that Christs name isn't actually "Jesus". Nope, it's not. It's a mistranslation of "Joshua", or more specifically "Yeshua".

Maybe you think Christians think that writing "Jesus" on a piece of paper makes that paper holy?  Therefore, getting the right name is important?  I don't think that is the point, or accurate, though it could be "the point" with the koran burning. Don't know.

The point is that the teacher is asking for something more akin to asking the student to knowingly commit blasphemy, that is, showing contempt, i.e. dengrating the name of the lord.  That it is a piece of paper, matters not.  It is the action, not the paper, that is the point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

It is interesting to see the progressives try to do handstands justifying the actions of this professor.

Why don't they just admit they are wrong and move on?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

You're lying. You got caught and now you're lying. Later

What a pathetic excuse of a "man".

I think you confuse me with someone who cares what you think of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

A really stupid and needlessly divisive lesson plan by the teacher.

Kudos to the kid for standing up for his rights. 

And a typical overreaction by some conservatives over the actions of one idiot.

hello kettle, oh, never mind..........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I think you confuse me with someone who cares what you think of them.

It's just so sad watching you engage in the same routine over and over again. You deliberately misread what someone writes, you start airborning them with insults, and you call them a liar.

If you fail to get them to respond angrily, you say "later" and run away.

If you succeed in getting them to respond angrily, you say "it's so much fun watching you get riled up" and continue to insult them until they walk away from your internet brattery.

I honestly don't know what motivates a supposedly grown man to behave so very childlishly on a regular basis. Inferiority complex?

Who ran away? Still here. So another lie by you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I understand the process here.  It is desensitization.  It is brainwashing.  It has no place in this type off course.  How does being totally insensitive to one's beliefs, others beliefs give you more understanding?  It doesn't. It creates an environment where Christianity is considered an invalid choice within this multi-cultural context.

This is pure babble....a string of fallacies.

Sure.  

So, you would have no problem if the teacher said "write the words 'Barak H. Obama' on a piece of paper, put it on the floor, and stomp on it"?  How about if the words were "Gay Marriage"?

No, I wouldn't.  They're still just pieces of paper and only have (symbolic) meaning if you allow them to.

And why would I try to tell a teacher how to teach, anyway...?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

What I find to be most interesting is that Christs name isn't actually "Jesus". Nope, it's not. It's a mistranslation of "Joshua", or more specifically "Yeshua".

Point?

Maybe you think Christians think that writing "Jesus" on a piece of paper makes that paper holy?  Therefore, getting the right name is important?  I don't think that is the point, thoiugh it could be the point with the koran. Don't know.

The point is that the teacher is asking for something more akin to asking the student to knowingly commit blasphemy, that is, showing contempt, i.e. dengrating the name of the lord.  That it is a piece of paer, matters not.  It is the action, not the paper, that is the point.

I'm not sure that it's "blasphemy" if you got the name wrong to begin with. But let's consider how "Jesus" has been represented as an idol, conflicting with one of the Ten Commandments. Evidently having a graven image of the Christ bleeding and crucified on the cross is fine.

The name doesn't matter, it doesn't change the person, Jesus, Yeshewah, who cares.  The purpose of the exercise is to get the students to commit blasphemy.  Why do it unless that was the case?  Are you telling me if you asked the students to write "Bobby" on a peice of paper, and stomp on it, it would make sense in the context of the class?  No, of course not.  Jesus was selected becasue it is hip and cool to denegrate Jesus, by any name, within academia.  In this class, it was to break the student down before building them up in a true progressive model, within the context of "cultural communication", whatever that is.

I agree with Jesus being presented on a cross as you indicate. That is not to be found in my church or my home.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I understand the process here.  It is desensitization.  It is brainwashing.  It has no place in this type off course.  How does being totally insensitive to one's beliefs, others beliefs give you more understanding?  It doesn't. It creates an environment where Christianity is considered an invalid choice within this multi-cultural context.

This is pure babble....a string of fallacies.

Sure.  

So, you would have no problem if the teacher said "write the words 'Barak H. Obama' on a piece of paper, put it on the floor, and stomp on it"?  How about if the words were "Gay Marriage"?

No, I wouldn't.  They're still just pieces of paper and only have (symbolic) meaning if you allow them to.

And why would I try to tell a teacher how to teach, anyway...?

Right.  So, you have no problem with an expression hostile to Gay Marraige or Obama.  I guess we can just ignore your last thousand or so repies to others on such subject matter.

Some teachers need to be taught, as in this case, because what they are teaching is demonstrably wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What, exactly, is the offense here to christians...?

The name "Jesus" is not sacred.   

The image of "Jesus" might be depending on the context.

On the vast scale of hysterically overwrought religious grievances, this seems pretty banal.

To christians, Jesus is God.  To write "Jesus" on a peice of paper and stomp on it, in this context, as part of a class, aimed at creating "cultural dialog" or whatever the title of the class is, is as offensive as burning the Koran, for example, to create "cultural dialog".

Apparently, you think it isnlt, for the sole reason that it is about Christians.

But why does THIS context make it offensive vs. other contexts...?  

Evidently, I don't...because I'm not a christian...but also because the idea of a piece of paper with some writing on it being sacred doesn't make sense to me.  (It's not like this was the bible.)

Would you still be offended is the paper said "god" (lower-case g)?  What other names are off-limits in your version of christianity...?  

IF I was a christian and wasn't personally offended by such an act, then would that also offend you...?

Then, what's the purpose of the exercise?  To see if there is gum on the bottom of the students shoes?

If the teacher had a purpose other than the one that it seems to be, that we need to step on Jesus as a way of desensitizing us to our chritian context, then what is it?

I'm not sure, since the article doesn't really say.

However, if I had to guess, I would say that the teacher was conducting an experiment to gauge her students' perceptions of symbolism in the context of religious culture.

In a way, the student's reaction is part of the experiment.  Why the student felt the need to go over the teacher's head is another question.

There's nothing wrong with provoking discussion about deeply held beliefs.  And for all I know, maybe the teacher intended to be insulting or had a grudge against this student.  Or maybe the student had been challenging her conclusions, and she decided to set an example.

I DO know that some reactions to it will be totally out of proportion.  People are always b**ching about something.  It used to be "leftist victimology", but conservatives love to play, too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Well, posts are starting to be deleted.  I guess one must tread carefully if you challenge liberal orthodoxy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Why don't they just admit they are wrong and move on?

Why don't you admit YOU'RE wrong and move on?

Why are you pretending to know something you really don't?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Right.  So, you have no problem with an expression hostile to Gay Marraige or Obama.  I guess we can just ignore your last thousand or so repies to others on such subject matter.

That's simply not true.  

The "expression" you refer to means nothing, zip, zero, zilch to me.  It does NOT represent "gay marriage" to me in any way, shape or form.

And it also has NOTHING to do with my deeply held views on marriage equality.  You only think it does, but you're wrong.

Just because your religion and ideology tells you how to think doesn't mean you can think for me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Some teachers need to be taught, as in this case, because what they are teaching is demonstrably wrong.

Another fallacy.

How is it "demonstrably" wrong...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Another fallacy.

Really.  You think it was useful to have the head of the local democrat party teach a course where he has students commit blashemy, or in the very leat, disrespect for a religion.

I call that wrong-headed teaching.

Note that when a math teacher opposed letting Planned Parenthood into his math class to discuss abortion, he objected, and was fired on the spot.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/teacher-faces-firing-for-opposing-planned-parenthood/

I guess it matters what you "write onthe paper",  Eh?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Another fallacy.

Really.  You think it was useful to have the head of the local democrat party teach a course where he has students commit blashemy, or in the very leat, disrespect for a religion.

Note that when a math teacher opposed letting Planned Parenthood into his math class to discuss abortion, he objected, and was fired on the spot.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/teacher-faces-firing-for-opposing-planned-parenthood/

I'll ask again:

How is that "demonstrably" wrong??  Use examples.

I think you just don't like it.  Which is fine.  You don't have to.  But you knew that.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Where was the blasphemy in the exercise?

That's what I've been asking...and nobody can give a reasonable answer.

Just another distraction proffered by the perpetually outraged right, I guess...

...another way that sanctimonious christians get to play the victim.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Just another distraction proffered by the perpetually outraged right, I guess...

You really can't understand how someone who is very religious would take offense to stepping on the paper with Jesus on it? Curious...would also have a hard time understanding how a black person would get offended if the teacher wrote Martin Luther King on the paper and told him to stomp on it? Think that person might not want to do that?

and conservatives are closed-minded....sigh

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Another fallacy.

I'll ask again:

How is that "demonstrably" wrong??  Use examples.

I think you just don't like it.  Which is fine.  You don't have to.  But you knew that.

You are kidding, right?  On the face of it it is demonstrably wrong.  The teacher forced his students to defame, blaspheme, what ever you want to call it, the leader of a major faith, TO THE POINT where one student was brought up on disiplinary charges for refusing to comply.

If that's not demonstrably wrong, then you are completely blind.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Here's the definiiton of Blashpemy.  At least definitions a and c are in play.

Definition of BLASPHEMY 1 a : the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God   b : the act of claiming the attributes of deity 2 : irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable   Does that answer your question?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

You really can't understand how someone who is very religious would take offense to stepping on the paper with Jesus on it? Curious...would also have a hard time understanding how a black person would get offended if the teacher wrote Martin Luther King on the paper and told him to stomp on it? Think that person might not want to do that?

and conservatives are closed-minded....sigh

Well, your response indicates that you think I'm not very religious. And in all my training, all the years spent studying the scriptures, there is nothing to suggest in the aforementioned exercise could be construed as blasphemy, let alone truly offensive. Except for the feeble minded that is.

And it's interesting that you might mention Martin Luther King. He was named after the great Protestant theologian Martin Luther. I suppose a Catholic might be offended by his very nomenclature. And, as a Protestant, I might take terrible offense at those who pray to Mary. I might think that the very presence of graven images of her, and her son Christ, as are so often represented in various iconography, to be in direct contradiction with the Ten Commandments, particularly Exodus 20:4-6.

I hope you have claimed Jesus for your savior.  It you do or have, god bless you.

My take: You need to spend less time projecting all these negative judgements on evangelicals, whom you definitiely misrespresent and don't understand.

Sections
Shortcuts