Putin and Assad just blinked.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: Putin and Assad just blinked.

Putin took advantage on the world stage with Kerry's blunder.  The admin tried to pull back from what Kerry said but, Putin was already seizing the moment.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The new Obama/Kerry doctrine: "Peace through Strength." When did they become neo-cons?

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

And it's not a "neo-con" doctrine, it's been around for millenia.

Oh dear, you poor deluded librul. Of course it's the neo-con doctrine, they've been espousing this sort of thing for decades. Maybe you're confused because you don't seem to understand what a "neo-con" is but, trust me, that is exactly who they are.

--

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The Russian president had coldly brushed back Obama on Snowden and Syria, and only last week called John Kerry a liar.

Now, when it is clear Obama can’t convince Congress, the American public, his own wife, the world, Liz Cheney or even Donald “Shock and Awe” Rumsfeld to bomb Syria — just a teensy-weensy bit — Pooty-Poot (as W. called him) rides, shirtless, to the rescue, offering him a face-saving way out? If it were a movie, we’d know it was a trick. We can’t trust the soulless Putin — his Botox has given the former K.G.B. officer even more of a poker face — or the heartless Bashar al-Assad. By Tuesday, Putin the Peacemaker was already setting conditions.

Just as Obama and Kerry — with assists from Hillary and some senators — were huffing and puffing that it was their military threat that led to the breakthrough, Putin moved to neuter them, saying they’d have to drop their military threat before any deal could proceed. The administration’s saber-rattling felt more like knees rattling. Oh, for the good old days when Obama was leading from behind. Now these guys are leading by slip-of-the-tongue.

Amateur hour started when Obama dithered on Syria and failed to explain the stakes there.

Obama’s flip-flopping, ambivalent leadership led him to the exact place he never wanted to be: unilateral instead of unified. Once again, as with gun control and other issues, he had not done the groundwork necessary to line up support. The bumbling approach climaxed with two off-the-cuff remarks by Kerry, hitting a rough patch in the role of a lifetime, during a London press conference Monday; he offered to forgo an attack if Assad turned over “every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community” and promised, if they did strike, that it would be an “unbelievably small” effort.

A State Department spokeswoman walked back Kerry’s first slip, but once the White House realized it was the only emergency exit sign around, Kerry walked back the walking back, claiming at a Congressional hearing Tuesday that he did not “misspeak.”

The president countered Kerry’s second slip with NBC’s Savannah Guthrie Monday night, declaring that “The U.S. does not do pinpricks,” which Kerry parroted at the hearing Tuesday, declaring that “We don’t do pinpricks.” For good measure, Obama, in his address to the nation Tuesday night, made sure the world knew: “The United States military doesn’t do pinpricks.”

Where the mindlessly certain W. adopted a fig leaf of diplomacy to use force in Iraq, the mindfully uncertain Obama is adopting a fig leaf of force to use diplomacy in Syria.

Even as Democrats tiptoed away from the red line, eager to kick the can of Sarin down the road, their own harsh rhetoric haunted them. Kerry compared Assad to Hitler last week, and Harry Reid evoked ”Nazi death camps” on the Senate floor Monday.

Again, an echo of the misbegotten Iraq. Making his hyperbolic case for war, W. was huffy with Germans on a visit in 2002, irritated that they did not seem to grasp the horror of “a dictator who gassed his own people,” as he put it to a Berlin reporter.

Obama cried over the children of Newtown. He is stricken, as he said in his address Tuesday, by “images of children writhing in pain and going still on a cold hospital floor” from “poison gas.” He thought — or thought he thought — that avenging the gassing was the right thing to do

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/opinion/dowd-who-do-you-trust.html?_r=0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So explain to the class how two open-ended wars in two seperate countries, wars without end and without purpose, fulfills the doctrine?

So, you DO understand that the previous administration was not a "neo-con" one because they DIDN'T fufill the neo-con doctrine in that same way that the Obama administration is now doing. That IS progress (heh, get it? progress? progressive?)

And they say you can't teach an old librul new tricks!

--

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

This big lie that Obama somehow orchestrated this is the same trick the progressives tried during the cold war:  Reagan didn't win the cold war by building up the military, Gorbachev did through glastnost.

Just like here:  Putin didn't put Obama into a box by offering to fulfill on Obama's demand, Obama' infetesimally small attack that would have no impact on Assad, scared Putin into doing Obama's dirty work.

sigh.

Do you even realize how bass ackwards your post is?

Only to a neo-con is Putin "...offering to fulfill on Obama's demand" a bad thing.

I bet you thought the Iraq war was a good thing?

Neo-cons: Winning... Charlie Sheen style.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was a bad thing.  what I said is that Obama and Kerry were not driving the process. Obama and Kerry embarked on a failed policy.  Putin bailed them out.

Can you say:  Putin=winner?

I thought the Iraq war was a good thing, as did most democrats, republicans, the UK, France, Germany, and many others.

That we are discussing a situation invovling chemical weapons that very well may have come from Iraq may eventually prove that opinion right.

I am saddened by the mess into which Iraq has decended, however.  That's what happens when you have a weak president. (double entendre on purpose)

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Hey tvoter, do you think you could grow a set and lay off the 'report' button?

You think you can debate without name calling and childish comments?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Hey tvoter, do you think you could grow a set and lay off the 'report' button?

You think you can debate without name calling and childish comments?

[/QUOTE]

So YOU are the little sh!t that's been reporting everything?

[/QUOTE]

Concerned is the only poster I have ever reported.

so, no littler shlt

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

So you are always posting insults and calling people names but when someone else does it you can't handle it and report it.

So you keep squawking about free speech and how the MSM is biased but here on these boards you try and squelch eveyone else's free speech.

You really are pathetic.

I do not start every post with claiming a certain group is________________ add anyone of you endearing slanders.

And you usually have no rebuttal just an attack on the poster.

That just clogs up the debate and has no value.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

But tvoter is a true patriot. How can this be?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm glad that it appears that cooler heads will prevail this time ..... btw Hanson .. here's a bronx cheer for your rant

Cooler heads prevailed...that means you consider Obama a hot head? He definitely acted that way.

Yeah, forgive my rant over the dumba55 hothead generating a nuclear confrontation over nothing.

[/QUOTE

it's your right to rant if you want and I support that right ..... I just thought that I would get you going a little but i have to ask you .. Obama is a hothead ? When and where did that happen... when did chemical weapons become as you say nothing ... and a nuclear attack is always possible  .... but it won't happen unless a terroist group gets their hands on nuclear material ....

[/QUOTE]

You were the one that said "cooler heads" prevailed. Guess I missed something, but wasn't it Obama that threatened the attack???

I never said chemical weapons were nothing, I was just pointing out that if  you are concerned about Assad abusing his people then how can you sit there and do nothing while he kills 90,000 with guns and just get upset when he uses a chemical weapon?

If  you are concerned about chemical weapons, how does the hothead approach of lobbing in cruise missiles achieve anything towrads controlling them? DO y ou expect that the Syrians are just going to lay down their arms and invite us in after the "shock and awe" of Obama's pea-shooting attack?

[/QUOTE]

Hotheaded approach or is it a credible threat of a military airstrike to get Assad to the negotiation table ?

btw ... who said that I ain't upset about the killing of 90,000 human beings

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Because we're dumb enough to believe that.

You end 90% of your posts by calling the other person a "tool" or "lmfao"-ing at them, etc. And now you're reporting posts on the ground that insults bother you.

You intelligence was never over estimated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I think Assad with putins help has likely bought enough time with this "surrender all chemical weapons" stuff to probably finish the rebels off or at a minimum deteriorate their forces to the point they cannot hope to overthrow him any time soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I think that's too generous, CC.

That would require Obama to have planned with Kerry that Kerry blurt out - and then deny it was a suggestion - that Syria disarm, in anticipation of this causing Russia to agree to the supposed non-suggestion

Except that Obama mentioned this type of solution last week in all but the details.

Kerry's off-the-cuff comments aside, it's difficult to believe the notion has never occurred to them.

In the end, all that matters diplomatically is the UNSC vote; russian support is the means to that end.

Sure he did. (Eye roll)

why are you so fixated on trying to make Obama look like the hero when it is so obvious to everyone else that politically, he was played like a chump?

Because for ideologues like you, the constant struggle is to show you the obvious staring you right in the face. (ergo, Orwell)

Obama's not a hero for doing his job, but he more than deserves respect you see so fit to deny him at every turn.

When will you guys learn that the game matters far less to him than the determinant outcome...??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

This was a game of words and world opinion and we lost!

Sorry, but this 'game' is far from over...

...in spite of your desire to see it fail for purely selfish reasons.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

How enlightening that some american conservatives are gleefully cheering on the conservative russian president...

...and against our own CiC.

Why?  Who knows, but it's par for the course.

How enlightening that leftwingers are supporting a chickenhawk president attacking a soveriegn country that represents no threat to the US.

[/QUOTE]

Obama never said he was a threat to the U.S....

...only to U.S. interests in the region, which is undoubtably true...

...even in the ostensible interest of trying to prevent or prosecute large-scale chemical attacks on civilians.

Like on most issues, the more the president is attacked by the unhinged right, then the more people turn to the president as the sole remaining adult in the room.  It's not his fault the extreme right are so embarrassingly out of their collective gourds for spite.