Putin and Assad just blinked.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Putin and Assad just blinked.

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Holy christ....

Desparate for attention again?

Why is it when you comment on something it's ok, but when I do it's "desparate for attention"? Care to explain how you commenting on something a YEAR later to get a gotcha moment doesn't smack of desperation but my posts do? Get over yourself.

I'm done with this conversation so talk to the wind all you like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Why is it when you comment on something it's ok, but when I do it's "desparate for attention"? Care to explain how you commenting on something a YEAR later to get a gotcha moment doesn't smack of desperation but my posts do? Get over yourself.

I'm done with this conversation so talk to the wind all you like.

Methinks the wannabe Hall Monitor protests too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

Do you really believe assad is going to give up any weapons during a war?

We have dismantled quite a few, in fact.

Of course the reason I popped back to this thread from Sept. 2013 was to see if the conservatives who mocked Biden & Obama for not taking ISIS seriously in 2012.....

....might have been saying "WE NEED TO GO INTO SYRIA NOW TO GET ISIS" even just a year ago...

...to see if they had even the slightest whiff of the foresight Obama is supposedly such a poopyface for not having....

Instead, we see some, as RRF's prior incarnation, saying that we should not have even threatened to strike Syria.

Or, as Hansori correctly pointed out at the time, boots on the ground in Syria would be crazy:

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

I suppose you think we neo-cons would all be happy with a nuclear confrontation> Do you realize the authorization bills allow "boots on the ground"?

Obama has jeopardized the safety and security of the country over something that is no threat to us at all. I suppose you are gleeful over such a display of utter incompetence.

Fast forward a year and Obama was such a dummyhead for not foreseeing ISIS?

LOL + Predictable.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/news/politics/general/flashback-to-2012-vp-debate-biden-attacks-ryan-by-asking-if-he-wants-to-bomb-syria/80/7515241#add-post-form

Edit: I'm sorry if it horribly bothers anyone that conservative hypocrisy is being pointed out. Try not to get as wadded as some are wont to do in these situations.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'm not sure who you're referring to but I think that most conservatives were opposed to bombing Assad because we were afraid that we didn't have a good handle on his enemies. Some of us were thinking that, while some were legit rebels against Assad, many of them were probably Islamic jihadists.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I'm not sure who you're referring to but I think that most conservatives were opposed to bombing Assad because we were afraid that we didn't have a good handle on his enemies. Some of us were thinking that, while some were legit rebels against Assad, many of them were probably Islamic jihadists.

--

Not sure he knows who he is referring to either. But he got to play hall monitor by pointing out hypocrisy of some sort. Oh wait...I thought that was a bad thing...hmmmm

Sadly he'll think my replying to you is continuing a conversation with him. Not sure how that's possible but it'll happen. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

I figured I might as well back up my position and pop back a year until something concerning Syria appeared. Pretty easy when you can go back several thread pages at a time.

And sure enough, as you point out, people had all sorts of other criticisms about Syria. General concerns about arming rebels (I criticized that as well), but certainly nothing to the effect that we needed to go after ISIS. Nobody was predicting the situation that happened this year. I didn't even hear the name "ISIS" until this year.

Hence, as I suspected, the people holding Obama and Biden accountable for what ISIS has done are dishonest, liars, hypocrites, or some combindation thereof....  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Oh, gee, surprise: look who wasn't actually done with the conversation....    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Sadly he'll think my replying to you is continuing a conversation with him. Not sure how that's possible but it'll happen. 

You went back and edited that sentence in after I posted "Oh, gee, surprise: look who wasn't actually done with the conversation...."

Wow.

Really?

Just...wow... 

I'm not sure whether it's sadder or creepier that it is that important to you that anonymous BDC posters think you "predicted" what I would say.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I didn't even hear the name "ISIS" until this year.

True. However, we were concerned about the groups that went on to form ISIS. President has to have some responsibility here in having supported some of these groups in the past as well as his role in creating the power vacuum in Iraq that ISIS has so willingly filled.

--

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

True. However, we were concerned about the groups that went on to form ISIS. President has to have some responsibility here in having supported some of these groups in the past as well as his role in creating the power vacuum in Iraq that ISIS has so willingly filled.

--

But Obama didn't create a power vacuum in Iraq. Bush did.

Bush arranged the withdrawal agreement. The voters wanted us out. Iraq wanted us out. Obama got elected in part on getting us out.

I cannot see how Obama can be held responsible for what ISIS has done if nobody can make a reasonable argument based on evidence existing at the time that he should have foreseen this sort of thing. If vague fears that maybe something might happen were a reason to stay, we'd be stuck there forever.

Obama did what just everyone wanted - to get us out of yet another horribly failed experiment with regime building in the middle east.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

--

ISIS is comprised of angry Sunnis and mercenaries.  The Obama administration didn't install a government in Iraq that was hostile toward Sunnis.  And the Obama administration didn't pay mercenaries to fight for Iraq.  The Bush admin did both.  

I know you're sick of hearing blame for Bush, but it's where it belongs.  You can be sick of blaming the rain for you being wet, but that doesn't make it any less true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

--

ISIS is comprised of angry Sunnis and mercenaries.  The Obama administration didn't install a government in Iraq that was hostile toward Sunnis.  And the Obama administration didn't pay mercenaries to fight for Iraq.  The Bush admin did both.  

I know you're sick of hearing blame for Bush, but it's where it belongs.  You can be sick of blaming the rain for you being wet, but that doesn't make it any less true.

What Obama did is:

pull out all our troops

refuse to negotiate a status of forces agreement

drew a red line

erased a red line

got confused and bombed Libya

blamed Benghazi on a video

turned Libya over to radical islamists

pushed out Mubarak

said the Muslim Brotherhood wan't a threat

then ushered them into power

Refused to fight the JV terrorists

let the JV beat up our varsity team and take their weapons

told Israel to stand down

Told the CIA to stand down

made reaching out to muslims the top goal of NASA 

So, your are right. But, Bush didn't install Maliki.  There was an election.  remembers he purple fingers? Yah, that's what they do in countries that care about voter fraud.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

....like a broken record some moron tried to stuff into the CD drive....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

President Obama's team failed to negotiate a status of forces agreement that would have kept the necessary force on hand to be a credible threat to groups like ISIS. That was the intention of the Bush Administration all along.

It was a lot easier for the Obama adminstration to let it go, claim victory and go home. The result is that now we have to go back.

Slomag, I agree that they Shia goverment dropped the ball and created conditions for the Sunni to allow the jihadis back but we also dropped the ball by not maintaining any kind of leverage to prevent that from happening in the first place.

--

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

--

Bush arranged the withdrawal agreement. The voters wanted us out. Iraq wanted us out. Obama got elected in part on getting us out.

I cannot see how Obama can be held responsible for what ISIS has done if nobody can make a reasonable argument based on evidence existing at the time that he should have foreseen this sort of thing. If vague fears that maybe something might happen were a reason to stay, we'd be stuck there forever.

Obama did what just everyone wanted - to get us out of yet another horribly failed experiment with regime building in the middle east.

Well, that's simply not true.  What's happening in Iraq, to the extent it is an American Foriegn policy issue, is all on Obama.  

BIDEN was responsible for the SOFA, under the guidance of the smartest man in the world.

Obama called ISIS a JV team in January, nine months ago.

Not that Bush had a stellar record, but, get real.  obama schr00d da pooch in his handling of Iraq. And ISIS.

How does Obama pull out all support and then blame a guy who left office six years ago? That takes some funny colored glasses for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

President Obama's team failed to negotiate a status of forces agreement that would have kept the necessary force on hand to be a credible threat to groups like ISIS. That was the intention of the Bush Administration all along.

It was a lot easier for the Obama adminstration to let it go, claim victory and go home. The result is that now we have to go back.

Slomag, I agree that they Shia goverment dropped the ball and created conditions for the Sunni to allow the jihadis back but we also dropped the ball by not maintaining any kind of leverage to prevent that from happening in the first place.

--

Well, you are only responding to one line of what I posted.

I would have been quite angry with Obama if he had kept a bunch of troops there on the vague premise that maybe, sometime, something might go wrong. The problem with that rationale is that it would suggest we never leave.

The Middle East is volatile. Things like this are bound to continue happening for quite a while, and we can't afford to police the area forever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

....like a broken record some moron tried to stuff into the CD drive....

Snark alert.

facts don't matter to you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

--

Well, you are only responding to one line of what I posted.

I would have been quite angry with Obama if he had kept a bunch of troops there on the vague premise that maybe, sometime, something might go wrong. The problem with that rationale is that it would suggest we never leave.

The Middle East is volatile. Things like this are bound to continue happening for quite a while, and we can't afford to police the area forever.

The Middles East was made significantly more volatile by Obama's Foriegn policy, which has basically put radical Islam in charge of they Middle East.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Heh, heh, heh ... yep, Dubya was soooo dang intent on keeping US forces in Iraq that he signed a SoF agreement mandating ALL US forces out of the country by 12/11.

Seriously, can ya'll, just once, argue facts ... not some political rhetoric Dubya said at a news confrence.

Trying to blame Obama for the fragmentation of Iraq and the rise of these extreme groups just patently ignores the fact that if Dubya hadn't invaded Iraq in the first place none of these groups woul exist today ... but I'm sure Obama used his time machine te get back to '03 to set the whole tinderbox aflame.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to high-road's comment:

Heh, heh, heh ... yep, Dubya was soooo dang intent on keeping US forces in Iraq that he signed a SoF agreement mandating ALL US forces out of the country by 12/11.

Seriously, can ya'll, just once, argue facts ... not some political rhetoric Dubya said at a news confrence.

Trying to blame Obama for the fragmentation of Iraq and the rise of these extreme groups just patently ignores the fact that if Dubya hadn't invaded Iraq in the first place none of these groups woul exist today ... but I'm sure Obama used his time machine te get back to '03 to set the whole tinderbox aflame.

I think it is you that needs a brush up on the facts:

it was December 2011, it was up to Biden to negotiate it.  He failed.

Bush was long gone when this mess got started.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/24/biden-reveals-why-the-obama-administration-abandoned-iraq/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

The Middles East was made significantly more volatile by Obama's Foriegn policy, which has basically put radical Islam in charge of they Middle East.

Did he kill Bambi, too?

More importantly, how do you expect to be taken with even the slightest bit of seriousness when you blame Obama for everything?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Did he kill Bambi, too?

More importantly, how do you expect to be taken with even the slightest bit of seriousness when you blame Obama for everything?

Is that a red herring in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

i think it is you that is blaming Bush six years into the Obama foreign policy by apology.

hasn't really worked out too well, has it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/24/biden-reveals-why-the-obama-administration-abandoned-iraq/

So basically your admitting that the previous wingnut admin completely sruued-the-pooch and it was up to the next Dem admin to fix it.

What you're saying is that SoF treaties by wingnut admins are meaningles and should be ignored because the previous admin got it bass ackwards from the start and the following Dem admin has the responsibility to fix the mess the wingnut left.

What you're saying is that the entire wingnut-led Iraq debacle ... from beginning to end ... was such a complete and utter failure that everything and everything they did in the course of that failure ... right up to and including their SoF treaty to extract the US out of the quagmire ... should be ignored or reversed because everyone knows that ya'll are just inept at foreign policy ... and the wingnuts get the benefit of hindsight ... while blaming the Dems for not being prescient.

FREAKING HILARIOUS.

Not too many wingnuts on these boards would admit to such epic failures of their own party. Congrats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

--

Well we basically had two choices - either force US troops to remain in Iraq, against the wishes of its government, indefinitely and hope it is enough to stave off threats from would-be terrorists.  Or leave and see what happens, and if said threats should materialize return when begged by said government.  We had leverage in the latter scenario, not the former, and that is why al Maliki had to step down.

I don't think it's a safe assumption that US forces alone could stop something like ISIS.  Remember "the Sunni Awakening" was primarily us paying Sunni mercenaries to fight alongside the Iraq army.  What did we think would happen when we stopped paying them?  Or is Obama's failure not just failing to keep troops in Iraq indefinitely, but also failing to indefinitely pay mercenaries to fight on behalf of the government that despises them?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

So basically your admitting that the previous wingnut admin completely sruued-the-pooch and it was up to the next Dem admin to fix it.

What you're saying is that SoF treaties by wingnut admins are meaningles and should be ignored because the previous admin got it bass ackwards from the start and the following Dem admin has the responsibility to fix the mess the wingnut left.

What you're saying is that the entire wingnut-led Iraq debacle ... from beginning to end ... was such a complete and utter failure that everything and everything they did in the course of that failure ... right up to and including their SoF treaty to extract the US out of the quagmire ... should be ignored or reversed because everyone knows that ya'll are just inept at foreign policy ... and the wingnuts get the benefit of hindsight ... while blaming the Dems for not being prescient.

FREAKING HILARIOUS.

Not too many wingnuts on these boards would admit to such epic failures of their own party. Congrats.

Well, no. bush left a stable Iraq, and Obama destabilized it.

can't get around the facts, but please keep trying, because eventually you have to come to one of two conclusions:

obama did nothing,i.e. Negligent, and therefore this is the long terms result of the Bush doctrine.

or,

obama did some thing, and his policies failed.

so, after six years, you are left with one of two words to describe Obama's foreign policy: negligent, or failure.

you choose.

Sections
Shortcuts