Raising revenue, Florida style

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Raising revenue, Florida style

WDYWN: Completely agree with you for the second time in 2 days. Cats sleeping with dogs...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

WDYWN: Completely agree with you for the second time in 2 days. Cats sleeping with dogs...

"Human sacrifice..cats and dogs living together..mass hysteria!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I have no issue with cameras catching people going through red lights but to manipulate the lights is just wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

With regards to the OP...no traffic cameras in the City of Lawrence..but since they installed Pay & Park machines all over the downtown area..and put a private company in charge of writing tickets..the ability to efficiently do any business in downtown Lawrence has deteriorated significantly. The ticket writers are paid based on number of tickets they write..and they write tickets with abandon. Once..when I was parked at City Hall I got out of my car..walked to the Pay and Park machine to pay and get my ticket. As I was walking back to my car to put the ticket on the dashboard..I saw the "ticket guy" at my car just about to start a ticket. I asked him if he was seriously considering giving me a ticket while I was in the process of paying for my space. He said yes.

Some things are better off not being done for profit.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Got back to my car in Providence on Monday morning about 3 seconds before the "parking enforcement officer" got there. She seemed disappointed...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Traffic engineers compress yellow time to allow for a faster overall cycle and more green time to move traffic in heavily congested intersections.  It slightly compromises normal standards for higher capacity thru put.

I'm on the fence with redlight traffic cameras.  They have worked to redude red light running and lowering accident rates at dangerous intersections; but governments do become addicted to additional revenue which can pervert the original intended use of enforcement.

Sad to say cameras in society are becoming a way of life, sometimes with unintended consequences good and bad but they greatly assisted in catching the marathon terrorists; speed bump and the Joker.. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

With regards to the OP...no traffic cameras in the City of Lawrence..but since they installed Pay & Park machines all over the downtown area..and put a private company in charge of writing tickets..the ability to efficiently do any business in downtown Lawrence has deteriorated significantly. The ticket writers are paid based on number of tickets they write..and they write tickets with abandon. Once..when I was parked at City Hall I got out of my car..walked to the Pay and Park machine to pay and get my ticket. As I was walking back to my car to put the ticket on the dashboard..I saw the "ticket guy" at my car just about to start a ticket. I asked him if he was seriously considering giving me a ticket while I was in the process of paying for my space. He said yes.

Some things are better off not being done for profit.

Lawrence, unlike other cities, wrote their agreement with Standard Parking so that after the 5th year the meters are in service the city will own them, as opposed to the 75 year lease that the city of chicago did with its existing parking meters.  I don't know if Lawrence turned over the rights to set the prices for the meters to the company (and it would be terrible if they did).

As for FL, playing with the timing of the lights is potentially dangerous, if people get 4.3 seconds of yellow in other locations a driver may try to time crossing an intersection only to cause an accident because the yellow was shortened.  Playing with the lights to entrap people who are expecting 4.3 seconds is unethical.  I'd be upset if I lived there. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I actually wouldn't mind these things in Boston as long as they didn't screw with the timing for revenue. Not cool that so many drivers seem to think that a red light still counts as green for 3-5 seconds after it has turned red.

Screw with the timing for revenue? 

Perish the thought.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I do like "Person of Interest"

One of my favorites