Reagan's CIA helped Iraq use chemical weapons

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Reagan's CIA helped Iraq use chemical weapons

I saw this yesterday, and downloaded the included declassified CIA and other government memos to read through.  

But what has surpised me more is the near utter silence in the media.  I understand that it is widely known that the US helped build Saddam's WMD capabilities, but providing military intelligence with the knowledge that Saddam would use chemical weapons on Iranian troop positions is one step away from being a war crime.  

At any rate, I have my lunchtime reading for the day.  I will let the thread know if there is anything particularly interesting contained in the memos.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

What 's the point?

Does this mean we should abandon our hypocritical, holier-than-thou attitude about Syria and back off? 

Or does this mean that because Reagan was evil and helped an enemy of our enemy use chemical weapons that we should only listen to leftwingers when it comes to military action?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

U.S. Government acting hypocritically via the miltary and intelligence.

Shocker....

From a well-known parody of Bush Sr., circa Iraq War I:

"I've heard some of the critics, and let me say that Iraq will NOT be another Vietnam. That war taught us a very important lesson: Stay Out Of Vietnam."

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

The U.S. government may be considering military action in response to chemical strikes near Damascus. But a generation ago, America's military and intelligence communities knew about and did nothing to stop a series of nerve gas attacks far more devastating than anything Syria has seen, Foreign Policy has learned.

In 1988, during the waning days of Iraq's war with Iran, the United States learned through satellite imagery that Iran was about to gain a major strategic advantage by exploiting a hole in Iraqi defenses. U.S. intelligence officials conveyed the location of the Iranian troops to Iraq, fully aware that Hussein's military would attack with chemical weapons, including sarin, a lethal nerve agent.

lol, is this a surprise to you?

The USA has been the worlds most active arm supplier consistently for the last 50 years.

Each President including the current one knows the story and how it works.

Do you think paving the way for the "rebels" in syria or name your ME country is much different than supporting the mujihadeen in afganistan before anyone outside of our govt knew who Osama bin laden was?

The USA gambled that saddam was less a threat than the iranians!

sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield!

Its all about supporting who you hope will be less hostile or at least less of a fanatic towards the USA in the future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Asking if something is a surprise = giving a pass

Who knew...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

Its all about supporting who you hope will be less hostile or at least less of a fanatic towards the USA in the future.

Yeah, and how's that worked out for us so far...?!

Any day in which we use our guns instead of our brains to solve problems - here or abroad - is a very sad day, indeed.

We are all forsaken.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

Asking if something is a surprise = giving a pass

Who knew...

Is that a yellow card or a red card?

[/QUOTE]

Yours was clearly a red card so mine was a yellow

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The USA has been in war or proxy wars since our nation was established.

It's certainly not like we go looking for bad guys there is evil aplenty. Where we fail about 50% of the time if figuring out which is the less evil and therefore awarded our support.

Even in WWII we sided with Stalin against Hitler and Stalin was responsible for "The great purge" that executed hundreds of thousands!

This world is a dangerous place full of good and evil people.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Just imagine the reaction if it came out that Obama helped Assad use WMDs against his own people.

Would tvoter say: meh; these things happen, always have. Slow news day?

oh are you saying someone knowingly helped someone use chemical weapons against civilians?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

The USA has been in war or proxy wars since our nation was established.

It's certainly not like we go looking for bad guys there is evil aplenty. Where we fail about 50% of the time if figuring out which is the less evil and therefore awarded our support.

Even in WWII we sided with Stalin against Hitler and Stalin was responsible for "The great purge" that executed hundreds of thousands!

This world is a dangerous place full of good and evil people.

Yeah, but some of us would prefer that when we take sides, we at least stay away from aiding the use of WMDs....    

[/QUOTE]

Since when?

Is using an armed military to exterminate unarmed civilians considered a WMD?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"Just imagine the reaction if it came out that Obama helped Assad use WMDs against his own people."

Well it would be odd for a Nobel Peace prize winner to do such a thing don't ya think???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah, and how's that worked out for us so far...?!

Any day in which we use our guns instead of our brains to solve problems - here or abroad - is a very sad day, indeed.

We are all forsaken.

[/QUOTE]

I agree matty

I have said for years. We should get out of every forien country.

I was in Spain > 46 mil and civ workers. most work we did was paper ,verfing we were there.

[/QUOTE]

Except that we are there - in most cases - actively in defense of U.S. (or allied) economic interests.

So, that's never going to happen.

For better or worse, we are the world's mall cops.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

tvoter,

The article lays out that Reagan's CIA knew Iraq already used WMDs and continued to providetargeting instructions/packages to Iraq with the full expectation that Iraq would use them on Iran and civilians. Iraq did just that.

I'd expect some serious shock and outrage from the guy who blames Obama for a single IRS office targetting tea party groups.

Instead you try to move the goal posts with this swill:

[QUOTE]

Iran was using chemical weapons as well and at the time we wanted saddam to win.

I do not like it but, if you think it is the worst our govt has done in the name of peace you are niave. Shlt we carpet bombed in vietnam and burned entire towns and villages  full of people including women and children to death in vietnam. Is napalm a chemical weapon?  it is jellied gasoline and it's effects are just as horrific as serin, mustard gas etc.

I take alot more interest in what our president does to US citizens to hurt our democratic process than what a potus does to keep shiite persians from exterminating sunnis and enslaved shiites.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

tvoter,

The article lays out that Reagan's CIA knew Iraq already used WMDs and continued to providetargeting instructions/packages to Iraq with the full expectation that Iraq would use them on Iran and civilians. Iraq did just that.

I'd expect some serious shock and outrage from the guy who blames Obama for a single IRS office targetting tea party groups.

Instead you try to move the goal posts with this swill:

[QUOTE]

Iran was using chemical weapons as well and at the time we wanted saddam to win.

I do not like it but, if you think it is the worst our govt has done in the name of peace you are niave. Shlt we carpet bombed in vietnam and burned entire towns and villages  full of people including women and children to death in vietnam. Is napalm a chemical weapon?  it is jellied gasoline and it's effects are just as horrific as serin, mustard gas etc.

I take alot more interest in what our president does to US citizens to hurt our democratic process than what a potus does to keep shiite persians from exterminating sunnis and enslaved shiites.

tvoter ..... don't you mean what the SCOTUS does to US citizens to hurt our democratic process ....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The article lays out that Reagan's CIA knew Iraq already used WMDs

All I'm seeing is some guy said that Reagan's CIA knew that Iraq was going to deploy WMD. Sorry, but I've been down this road way to often not to have a healthy skepticism whenever an accusation like this is made without any documented proof.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

On June 9, 1992, Ted Koppel reported on ABC's Nightline, "It is becoming increasingly clear that George Bush, operating largely behind the scenes throughout the 1980s, initiated and supported much of the financing, intelligence, and military help that built Saddam's Iraq into the power it became", and "Reagan/Bush administrations permitted—and frequently encouraged—the flow of money, agricultural credits, dual-use technology, chemicals, and weapons to Iraq."

On February 9, 1994, Senator Riegle delivered a report -commonly known at the Riegle Report- in which it was stated that "pathogenic (meaning 'disease producing'), toxigenic (meaning 'poisonous'), and other biological research materials were exported to Iraq pursuant to application and licensing by the U.S. Department of Commerce." It added: "These exported biological materials were not attenuated or weakened and were capable of reproduction."

Donald Riegle, Chairman of the Senate committee that authored the aforementioned Riegle Report, said:

U.N. inspectors had identified many United States manufactured items that had been exported from the United States to Iraq under licenses issued by the Department of Commerce, and [established] that these items were used to further Iraq's chemical and nuclear weapons development and its missile delivery system development programs. ... The executive branch of our government approved 771 different export licenses for sale of dual-use technology to Iraq. I think that is a devastating record.

So what? What is your point?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just imagine the reaction if it came out that Obama helped Assad use WMDs against his own people.

Would tvoter say: meh; these things happen, always have. Slow news day?

oh are you saying someone knowingly helped someone use chemical weapons against civilians?

[/QUOTE]

That's what the article lays out. They knew Iraq already used WMDs and Reagan's CIA provided targeting instructions/packages to Iraq with the full expectation that Iraq would use them on Iran and civilians. Iraq did just that.

I'd expect some serious shock and outrage from the guy who blames Obama for a single IRS office targetting tea party groups.;

[/QUOTE]

Really, that is forking stupid. Is this just a Rep vs Dem matter for you in which case you take both sides of the issue just to give empty-headed support to your favorite party? 

So are you ever going to make a point or not? Apparently it escapes you.