Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV

Polls in my opinion are riduculous but I thought a light thread isn't a bad thing.

According to a new study by consumer research group Experian Simmons, Republicans and Democrats have wildly different tastes when it comes to television.
    So apparently this is what each side watches...

Dems
    1) Countdown with Keith Olbermann (Don't watch. Have in past but couldn't take it)
    2) Mad Men (haven't caught it but hear great things)
    3) Dexter (one of my favorite shows)
    4) Kourtney & Khloe take Miami (my GOD really?)
    5) 90210 (again....really?)
    6) Private Practice (haven't caught it, no nothing about it)
    7) Brother's and Sisters (haven't caught it, no nothing about it)

Reps
    1) Glenn Beck (Don't watch. Saw bit and pieces in past and couldn't take it)
    2) Amazing Race (Like it, watch it)
    3) Modern Family (haven't caught it, heard it's pretty good...from people who happen to be liberals ironically)
    4) V (never heard of it)
    5) The Big Bang Theory (Watched it a few times...the chick is hot at least)
    6) The Mentalist (Watched a few times. It's ok)
    7) Survivor (Like it, watch it)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV

HOnestly, with the exception of mad men, I am surprised anyone is watching any of those shows.

Also, that breakdown doesn't jive with the ratings. Are you sure this was a reputable poll?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV:
    HOnestly, with the exception of mad men, I am surprised anyone is watching any of those shows. Also, that breakdown doesn't jive with the ratings. Are you sure this was a reputable poll?
    Posted by ForumCleaner

Um...let me re-state....

"Polls in my opinion are riduculous but I thought a light thread isn't a bad thing"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV : Um...let me re-state.... " Polls in my opinion are riduculous but I thought a light thread isn't a bad thing "
    Posted by hawkeye01

I know your general opinion of polls, I am asking if this polling group is reputable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV : I know your general opinion of polls, I am asking if this polling group is reputable.
    Posted by ForumCleaner

Thanks for trying to succk the fun out of a light thread

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV : Thanks for trying to succk the fun out of a light thread
    Posted by hawkeye01

i am not. I think the thread is a good idea actually. I just noticed that the shows at the top of the list aren't the top rated shows.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV : i am not. I think the thread is a good idea actually. I just noticed that the shows at the top of the list aren't the top rated shows.
    Posted by ForumCleaner

Maybe only Independents watch the top rated shows?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV : i am not. I think the thread is a good idea actually. I just noticed that the shows at the top of the list aren't the top rated shows.
    Posted by ForumCleaner

Has nothing to do with ratings for shows. It illustrates the differences based on political affiliation of what each side watches. That doesn't translate into rating because it obviously doesn't account for independents. Sheesh!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

#4 for Dems is "Kourtney & Khloe take Miami "?

Please, let this forever end any more discussion of Democrats being smarter than Republicans..Perhaps watching this show with the sound off for random views of Kim's behind may be acceptable, otherwise your head may explode listening to the emptyheaded maroons..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Of the shows on the two lists I watch a total of 3, 1 from the Dem list (Dexter) and 2 from the Rep list (Modern Family and V).  I am familar with several others but as Hawkeye did I filled in thoughts about each parenthetically.  I am surprised 30 Rock isn't on the Dem list, along with the Colbert Report and The Daily Show.  I am very surprised that Modern Family is on the Rep list.  I find V to be a curious inclusion but apparently the right gets down with Sci Fi, but perhaps that has more to do with nostagia for the first series from the 80's. 

Dems
    1) Countdown with Keith Olbermann (Watch on occaision, but not really my cup of tea, especially after a hard day of work and arguing with you guys.)
    2) Mad Men (Only seen a few episodes, my wife isn't into it so I haven't bothered to get the DVDs)
    3) Dexter (one of my favorite shows as well, and for my money the best drama on TV currently)
    4) Kourtney & Khloe take Miami (Garbage do not want, will not watch)
    5) 90210 (Hey I remember the 90's and I don't want to watch a shiny new version of on TV.  I spit in the direction of this show)
    6) Private Practice (haven't caught it, know nothing about it)
    7) Brother's and Sisters (haven't caught it, know nothing about it)

Reps
    1) Glenn Beck (Clown college, no one should watch this)
    2) Amazing Race (don't watch, not my thing)
    3) Modern Family (LOVE THIS SHOW, it may surpass 30 Rock on my list of best comedies.  Every episode is funny.  Every Single One.)
    4) V (Awesome first season, anticipating the upcoming season.)
    5) The Big Bang Theory (I actually think this show is funny, though I don't watch it regularly.  Some of my friends do and they swear by it.)
    6) The Mentalist (Can't stand the lead actor, don't watch)
    7) Survivor (don't watch, not my thing)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV:
    Polls in my opinion are riduculous but I thought a light thread isn't a bad thing. According to a new study by consumer research group Experian Simmons, Republicans and Democrats have wildly different tastes when it comes to television. So apparently this is what each side watches... Dems 1) Countdown with Keith Olbermann (Don't watch. Have in past but couldn't take it) 2) Mad Men (haven't caught it but hear great things) 3) Dexter (one of my favorite shows) 4) Kourtney & Khloe take Miami (my GOD really?) 5) 90210 (again....really?) 6) Private Practice (haven't caught it, no nothing about it) 7) Brother's and Sisters (haven't caught it, no nothing about it) Reps 1) Glenn Beck (Don't watch. Saw bit and pieces in past and couldn't take it) 2) Amazing Race (Like it, watch it) 3) Modern Family (haven't caught it, heard it's pretty good...from people who happen to be liberals ironically) 4) V (never heard of it) 5) The Big Bang Theory (Watched it a few times...the chick is hot at least) 6) The Mentalist (Watched a few times. It's ok) 7) Survivor (Like it, watch it)
    Posted by hawkeye01

The only show in either poll I watch is "Modern Family," which is good. Though not as good as the show that comes on before it, "The Middle."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I'll play, mine are in bold:

Dems
    1) Countdown with Keith Olbermann (Don't watch. Have in past but couldn't take it)
    2)
    Mad Men (excellent, love the 60's)
    3)
    Dexter (good show)
    4) Kourtney & Khloe take Miami (my GOD really?)
    5) 90210 (again....really?)
    6) Private Practice (haven't caught it, no nothing about it)
    7) Brother's and Sisters (haven't caught it, no nothing about it)

Reps
    1) Glenn Beck (Don't watch. Saw bit and pieces in past and couldn't take it)
    2) Amazing Race (Like it, watch it)
    3)
    Modern Family (this show is a riot)
    4)
    V (too bad it was cancelled, love sci- fi)
    5) The Big Bang Theory (Watched it a few times...the chick is hot at least)
    6) The Mentalist (amusing, keeps you guessing)
    7) Survivor (Like it, watch it)
    I generally like, dark twisting plots so I'm a sucker for cop shows; 24 is now gone but I really like The Event (24/sci-fi), CSI original, Detroit 187, Hawaii 5-0, Criminal Minds. or Iike commedy escape, then it's off to NatGeo, Discovery and if anythng gets blown up all the better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

haven't seen a single one, though the wife likes mad men and dexter.

I don't watchmuch TV.  Much rather read a book, listen to music, or play around with computer games.  I actually only watch comedy. ie,

Daily Show, Colbert Report, South Park, and an assortment of "adult swim" shows new and old (Sea Lab, Frisky Dingo, Venture Bros, Metapocalpyse, Home Movies).

Even then, it's not regular.  Maybe one or two from Daily Show/Colbert a week; others whenever they're "on demand" or somewhere online and I'm bored.

Well, I guess I have watched series from HBO, but only a season at a time; I HATE the idea of having to schedule my activity around when a TV show is on.

So, The Sopranos and The Wire - watched in full.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

4) V (too bad it was cancelled, love sci- fi)
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

Good News!  V isn't cancelled, it is starting in January.  ABC only picked it up for a 12 episode run for Season 2.  If the ratings stay the sam as last year (the numbers dropped steadily over the season) then it will likely not be renewed.  I still think they should have brought Flash Forward back and put V and it together on the same night. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

I prefer movies or a good hockey game.  I currently do not watch any TV shows regularly. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

haven't seen a single one, though the wife likes mad men and dexter. I don't watch TV.  Much rather read a book, listen to music, or play around with computer games.  I actually only watch comedy. ie, Daily Show, Colbert Report, South Park, and an assortment of "adult swim" shows new and old (Sea Lab, Frisky Dingo, Venture Bros, Metapocalpyse, Home Movies). Well, I guess I have watched series from HBO, but only a season at a time; I HATE the idea of having to schedule my activity around when a TV show is on. So, The Sopranos and The Wire - watched in full.
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

The Wire was fantastic loved it.  I still want to buy all the DVD's but perhaps one day, not right now.

Adult Swim has been pissing me off with their live action crap, but...but I do think Childrens Hospital is quirky and funny from the two episodes I have seen.  The rest of the live action stuff I will not watch on principle.  I have no idea how Tim and Eric conned AS into giving not only one show but several. 

I enjoy the Boondocks, but I think season 3 may have been its last despite the fact that it brings in some of strongest ratings of any Adult Swim orginals.  Metapocalpuse is hilarious even though hard rock isn't my thing.  Sealab was good for 2 seasons and then fell off a cliff.  I actually went from loving it to hating it with a passion. 

Harvey Birdman is an all time fave I just wish the producers had their act together and squeezed out more than 39 episodes. ATHF, never really liked it but I watched it regularly for some reason for a few seasons.  Venture Bros. is one of the best shows AS has ever come up with and I am looking forward to the upcoming season.  Robot Chicken?  Love it.  Liked Stroker and Hoop, but it just didn't have the gas to get renewed but I think thats because it was in a period right before AS started making making poor decisions and opting for cheap crap (Tom goes to the Mayor, 12oz Mouse and Perfect Hair Forever, etc). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Ah yes, how could I forget Harvey Birdman and Robot Chicken.

Agreed re: metapocalpyse.  Or however it's spelled.  I definitely have ZERO taste for Death Metal, but I love that the show generally makes fun of death metal bands and/or fans.  The "parents visiting" or murderface-turns-religious episodes? ... hah!...

Glad to hear about Venture Bros.  Brilliant comedy.  Yardsale episode...The best ever use of "Sound and fury, signifying nothing"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The only shows on those lists I watch regularly are Modern Family and The Amazing Race, so go figure.

Dexter and Mad Men are both good shows - as are House MD, Sons Of Anarchy, Rescue Me and The Wire, but most serialized dramas are overwrought.  Most procedurals are annoyingly formulaic.

South Park is one show I rarely miss.  Top 5 of funniest shows ever made, IMO.  The more subversive, the better....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

wow, I watch more things on the Republican list than the Democrat list.  I'm surprised The Daily Show didn't make the demos list.

Modern Family is great, but 30 Rock is tremendous.  Tina Fey is so self deprecating on that show.  The humor is so fast paced. They make fun of everybody.

Modern Family is great, but there are only 2 funny characters - Jay and Cameron.  Manny is pretty funny as well. 

Thenew Law and Order LA has been good so far.  Although it's gone overboard trying to be PC.  So far, all of the perps have been white.  The Assistant DAs are either Black or Hispanic with their associates being female and/or minority.  The judge has usually been a minority.  The only white people on the show are the Cops, the people on trial and the DA. 

The Wire was great.  It's shown in reruns on 101 - on direct TV.  No break between seasons.

The 1st season of Deadwood was classic.

Boardwalk has been great - although I can do without the Buscemi O face.  Gretchen Mol has come a long way from Rounders.

Family Guy, Tosh.0  Are Great.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

wow, I watch more things on the Republican list than the Democrat list.  I'm surprised The Daily Show didn't make the demos list. Modern Family is great, but 30 Rock is tremendous.  Tina Fey is so self deprecating on that show.  The humor is so fast paced. They make fun of everybody. Modern Family is great, but there are only 2 funny characters - Jay and Cameron.  Manny is pretty funny as well.  Thenew Law and Order LA has been good so far.  Although it's gone overboard trying to be PC.  So far, all of the perps have been white.  The Assistant DAs are either Black or Hispanic with their associates being female and/or minority.  The judge has usually been a minority.  The only white people on the show are the Cops, the people on trial and the DA.  The Wire was great.  It's shown in reruns on 101 - on direct TV.  No break between seasons. The 1st season of Deadwood was classic. Boardwalk has been great - although I can do without the Buscemi O face.  Gretchen Mol has come a long way from Rounders. Family Guy, Tosh.0  Are Great.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Meh.  I generally cannot stand criminal law shows.  The prosecutor or judge or whoever starts speaking and I want to shout "no no no!  It doesn't work like that! That never happens!"

Sort of like why I guess real spies can't stand James Bond movies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

republicans; the revisionist history channel 

democrats; the spineless who loved me 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Poll of what Dems and Reps watch on TV : Good News!  V isn't cancelled, it is starting in January.  ABC only picked it up for a 12 episode run for Season 2.  If the ratings stay the sam as last year (the numbers dropped steadily over the season) then it will likely not be renewed.  I still think they should have brought Flash Forward back and put V and it together on the same night. 
    Posted by DamainAllen

Damain Allen,

Cool news about V, and I agree with Flash Forward great complicated plot.

...and to those who don't want to he held to a schedule invest in DVR/TIVO service which is the only way to watch TV.  A one hour show in 42 minutes as you click by the commercials in 30 second increments.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

DVR most of my viewing pleasures so i can compress the time to watch.....

Countdown - miss more but try to watch
    Rachel Maddow - must see
    Family Guy - but fading
    Adult Swim - love childrens hosp, robot chicken, anime, etc
    Avengers - new on disney xd /great marvel animation
    Boardwalk Empire - appealing/gritty
    Closer - a little ashamed I like this
    Simpsons - tired but cant stop watching it
    No ordinary family - pleasant empty calories
    Daily/Colbert - best take on news than regular media
    Bill Maher - needs new fresh guests from both sides
     Hawthorn RN  - same as closer

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

I prefer movies or a good hockey game.  I currently do not watch any TV shows regularly. 
    Posted by schadenfreude99

==============================================================

Agreed!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I'm into The Event . Which is good because I've been Jonesin' since 24 ended
    Posted by GreginMeffa

I keep hearing The Event is good.  Back when the new season started I chose to follow Lonestar since it was on at the same time as the Event, and then Lonestar was cancelled and I never added The Event to the DVR.  But I beleive NBC has it On Demand so I may need to convince the wife to watch an episode or two and see is she digs it.  If she bites then we'll start following it.

But I heard the show was hemmoraging viewers.  I hate getting into a show and then having it cancelled the next year. 

Oh, other shows that I am keen on Sons of Anarchy and Damages.  Damages was dropped by FX and is now airing on Direct TV exclusively so I guess I'll catch the DVD's next year. 

Sections
Shortcuts