Release of Taliban Detainees Alarms Afghan Villagers

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Re: Release of Taliban Detainees Alarms Afghan Villagers

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

SHEYKHAN, Afghanistan—Taliban forces led by Mohammed Fazl swept through this village on the Shomali plain north of Kabul in 1999 in a scorched-earth offensive that prompted some 300,000 people to flee for their lives.

Fifteen years later, local residents here are responding with fear and dismay to the U.S. release of the notorious commander, along with four other Taliban leaders in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only American prisoner of war who was held by the Taliban. The group released a video on Wednesday showing the hurried handover a few days earlier of the American captive, looking gaunt and dazed.

The villages of Shomali were once the orchard of central Afghanistan, and the plain's carefully tended vineyards were famous for their grapes.

When the Taliban seized control of this area from their Northern Alliance rivals in 1999, they systematically demolished entire villages, blowing up houses, burning fields and seeding the land with mines, according to two comprehensive studies of war crimes and atrocities during wars in Afghanistan and human rights reports. Mr. Fazl played a major role in the destruction.

"There was not a single undamaged house or garden," said Masjidi Fatehzada, a shopkeeper in Mir Bacha Kot, the district center. "My entire shop was burned to the ground. There was nothing left."

Khwaja Mohammad, a farmer in the village of Sheykhan, remembered how Mr. Fazl's men took away his son, a civilian, and sent him to Kabul's Pul-e Charkhi prison.

Read on:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/release-of-taliban-detainees-rattles-afghan-villagers-1401924687" rel="nofollow">http://online.wsj.com/articles/release-of-taliban-detainees-rattles-afghan-villagers-1401924687

No worries. The war is over. Obama said so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

RonReaganfan:  You know that nation building is usually something that liberal dems do.  If you are implying that we stick around to ensure the safety of agfhan villagers, you are a liberal.  We have trained the afghan soldiers and will leave some of our troops to train more.

I find it funny that you are against the pow being brought home because some soldiers gave their lives to find him, yet you have no problem wanting to extend the war in aghanistan.  You have also made statements that you thought we left Iraq too soon. 

Staying in these wars will cost lives.  How many more lives have too be lost until you agree it is time to come home?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

RonReaganfan:  You know that nation building is usually something that liberal dems do.  If you are implying that we stick around to ensure the safety of agfhan villagers, you are a liberal.  We have trained the afghan soldiers and will leave some of our troops to train more.

I find it funny that you are against the pow being brought home because some soldiers gave their lives to find him, yet you have no problem wanting to extend the war in aghanistan.  You have also made statements that you thought we left Iraq too soon. 

Staying in these wars will cost lives.  How many more lives have too be lost until you agree it is time to come home?

I'm saying we don't release five serial killers into these villages.  How's that nation building?

Who's a POW? The DoD didn't list Bergdahl or any of the five mass murders as POW's, so I assume you must be talking about someone else.

Btw: progressives don't nation build, they build dependency in otherwise responsible people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Indeed. They should have been put on trial, as an example of how a civilized developed nation behaves.

Put on trial for war crimes before the war has ended? Has that ever happened before?

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

I'm saying we don't release five serial killers into these villages.  How's that nation building?

Indeed. They should have been put on trial, as an example of how a civilized developed nation behaves.

Except that the US being civilized is a myth. We have way too long of a history of examples of not being civilized. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Put on trial for war crimes before the war has ended? Has that ever happened before?

Kinda hard to have an official end to a war that was never officially started ....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to high-road's comment:

Kinda hard to have an official end to a war that was never officially started ....

bingo and it is not a war about land either.  John McCain would have had us there until someone raised a white flag.  The Taliban's version of a win is whenever they kill an American Soldier.  MY version of a win is keeping our soil safe and that has been done and can be better done with our soldiers home.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Who's a POW? The DoD didn't list Bergdahl or any of the five mass murders as POW's, so I assume you must be talking about someone else.

Btw: progressives don't nation build, they build dependency in otherwise responsible people.

you have other posts implying and saying that we should not have left Iraq.  No matter how you slice it, if you want to prolong the war and keep spending money to do it, you are a liberal in my book.  Wars cost money, staying over there and helping the people of Iraq and Afgan, costs money.  Spending taxpayer's money for something that may never work out is a liberal thing to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

bingo and it is not a war about land either.  John McCain would have had us there until someone raised a white flag.  The Taliban's version of a win is whenever they kill an American Soldier.  MY version of a win is keeping our soil safe and that has been done and can be better done with our soldiers home.

There's that crystal ball again...I wonder if....eh...never mind

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Our objective going in was to get Bin Laden and to prevent Afghanistan from being used as a place for al qeada to launch terrorist attacks.  Objective one has been accomplished.  Objective 2 may never be accomplished.  But, maybe we can have a Gitmo type facility (the base, not the prison) where we can launch drones to search for terror networks and to launch drone attacks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

you have other posts implying and saying that we should not have left Iraq.  No matter how you slice it, if you want to prolong the war and keep spending money to do it, you are a liberal in my book.  Wars cost money, staying over there and helping the people of Iraq and Afgan, costs money.  Spending taxpayer's money for something that may never work out is a liberal thing to do.

Is Bergdahl a POW? If so, then why hasn't' the DoD listed him as such?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Hey spanky, you can't declare someone a Prisoner Of War when you're not in a declared war.

Geepers, is english really so dang difficult for ya'll?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hey spanky, you can't declare someone a Prisoner Of War when you're not in a declared war.

[/QUOTE]

LOL....hey, spanky , get your Obama rumpswabber story straight, would ya?

National Security Adviser Susan Rice said Sunday that Bergdahl served with “honor and distinction.” Rice and other top officials also began calling Bergdahl a “prisoner of war.”“Sergeant Bergdahl wasn’t simply a hostage, he was an American prisoner of war captured on the battlefield,” Rice said.

“Sgt. Bergdahl is a sergeant in the United States Army. He was a prisoner of war,” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday. “This was an exchange of prisoners…Again, I remind you this was a prisoner of war exchange.”

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Great, the board trolls strike again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Is logic difficult for you?

he's not a POW.

the war is far from over.

we never have traded war criminals for deserters. Never.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

The last formal declaration of war was WWII, wasn't it?

I take it your position is not that Korean and Vietnam war prisoners were not POWs...?

No, that's not my position or the DoD position.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

The last formal declaration of war was WWII, wasn't it?

I take it your position is not that Korean and Vietnam war prisoners were not POWs...?

No, that's not my position or the DoD position.

What is the DoD position?

you seem to be ignoring fact in order to draw some sort of conclusion that on it's face, is unlikely.

Sections
Shortcuts