Remembering Tucson...3 years later

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Remembering Tucson...3 years later

It is hard to believe that it's been three years since a madman opened fire on a group of people gathered to support  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords outside a supermarket.

Among those killed was 9 year old Christina- Taylor Green..a little girl who even at her young age had an interest in the way her country was run..had an interest in making a difference. Who knows what kind of amazing things that little girl would have accomplished had Jared Loughner not had the opportunity to gun down 18 people...killing 6 of them and seriously injuring another 12.

The lives of so many people changed forever on that day. Sadly though..not much has changed in the general society. Since that day in 2011, it seems as though these kinds of mass murders are becoming more and not less common..including the Sandyhook shooting.

I know I've said these things until I am blue in the face..and perhaps some are sick of hearing it. I support the second amendment..I support a person's right to own a gun to hunt, collect or protect themselves.

However...I don't want my baby niece to grow up in a world where we essentially live in a military state. I don't want my grandchildren to be born into that kind of world. For the life of me..I don't understand why some comprehensive gun control measures around mental health testing have not been passed. I don't understand how our elected officials cannot find some common ground...something that allows decent, responsible and law abiding citizens to own firearms..but keeps them out of the hands of people who are mentally ill.

People who support unfettered exercise of the second amendment like to quote the founding fathers...but you cannot tell me with a straight face that our founding fathers would support an unfettered right to bear arms in the face of so many children being murdered at the hands of madmen. I am sure they are rolling over in their graves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Re: Remembering Tucson...3 years later

I am with you on this. I think there are many things that can be done to curb violence without materially effecting 2nd amendment rights. The problem we have is that our political system is dysfunctional and polarized. Politicians use problems, they don't solve them. Rhetoric is heightened and areas of agreement go ignored.

A result of this is that we have a zillion gun laws for show that do not get enforced. Another result is that sensible actions like you mention around mental illness are not seen as politically useful. So they get ignored. Better to talk about guns, bullets, regulations, NRA and the 2nd amendment - on both sides. That is what gets the activists blood circulating. Solutions?? What do we need that for? Then we have nothing to talk about!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

It is hard to believe that it's been three years since a madman opened fire on a group of people gathered to support  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords outside a supermarket.

Among those killed was 9 year old Christina- Taylor Green..a little girl who even at her young age had an interest in the way her country was run..had an interest in making a difference. Who knows what kind of amazing things that little girl would have accomplished had Jared Loughner not had the opportunity to gun down 18 people...killing 6 of them and seriously injuring another 12.

The lives of so many people changed forever on that day. Sadly though..not much has changed in the general society. Since that day in 2011, it seems as though these kinds of mass murders are becoming more and not less common..including the Sandyhook shooting.

I know I've said these things until I am blue in the face..and perhaps some are sick of hearing it. I support the second amendment..I support a person's right to own a gun to hunt, collect or protect themselves.

However...I don't want my baby niece to grow up in a world where we essentially live in a military state. I don't want my grandchildren to be born into that kind of world. For the life of me..I don't understand why some comprehensive gun control measures around mental health testing have not been passed. I don't understand how our elected officials cannot find some common ground...something that allows decent, responsible and law abiding citizens to own firearms..but keeps them out of the hands of people who are mentally ill.

People who support unfettered exercise of the second amendment like to quote the founding fathers...but you cannot tell me with a straight face that our founding fathers would support an unfettered right to bear arms in the face of so many children being murdered at the hands of madmen. I am sure they are rolling over in their graves.

100% agree.

"I support the second amendment..I support a person's right to own a gun to hunt, collect or protect themselves."

There should be no argument to background checks when it comes to the mental stability of someone owning a gun. Sadly the staunch NRA members will argue this, that is until one of thier own is killed by a mentally unstable person.

Obviously until that happens, will see more headlines of mass shootings. I pray, they'll never be another Sandy Hook but reality is there very well could be. As heartbreaking as that day and Tuscon, and all the others were it doesn't seem as if we learned a thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

100% agree.

"I support the second amendment..I support a person's right to own a gun to hunt, collect or protect themselves."

There should be no argument to background checks when it comes to the mental stability of someone owning a gun. Sadly the staunch NRA members will argue this, that is until one of thier own is killed by a mentally unstable person.

Obviously until that happens, will see more headlines of mass shootings. I pray, they'll never be another Sandy Hook but reality is there very well could be. As heartbreaking as that day and Tuscon, and all the others were it doesn't seem as if we learned a thing.

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

100% agree.

Except that isn't foolproof. Many who have done mass shootings had no history of mental illness. So these people would have still been able to get a gun even if universal background checks were in place. Now, that isn't to say we shouldn't put universal background checks in place. We should. Let me say that again........we should.

I'm Just saying let's not fool ourselves into thinking we still won't see more headlines of mass shootings. We also know many who can't legally buy a gun can still get their hands on one. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Collectively, legal gun owners have failed us by not securing their guns. 

Most gun violence is a product of legal gun ownership. It is predominantly domestic violence (including murders), suicides and accidents. Most victims of violence are attacked by someone they know -- most often living in the same household. The fraction of people unfortunate enough to live somewhere where illegal guns or random attackers are a problem is small. Even in the US, where shooting rates are so much higher than other countries, gun violence is a relatively small risk. Even within that small risk area, people are more likely to be shot by their legal gun-owning spouse or relative than any other assailant.

The bottom line is that having a legal gun in the house increases your likelihood of being shot, rather than reducing it. On the counter side, there are nearly no cases of people using legal guns to save themselves from gun violence. The fact is that pulling a gun increases the likelihood that an assailant will shoot you. I can't recall a single story where a legal gun owner has stepped in to stop a massacre. The vast majority of gun massacres were performed with legally owned guns. Even though massacres represent a fraction of gun deaths, it is yet another scenario where gun owner fantasies fail to match reality.

I don't own one because I don't want to increase my, or my family's chances of being shot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

Collectively, legal gun owners have failed us by not securing their guns. 

Most gun violence is a product of legal gun ownership. It is predominantly domestic violence (including murders), suicides and accidents. Most victims of violence are attacked by someone they know -- most often living in the same household. The fraction of people unfortunate enough to live somewhere where illegal guns or random attackers are a problem is small. Even in the US, where shooting rates are so much higher than other countries, gun violence is a relatively small risk. Even within that small risk area, people are more likely to be shot by their legal gun-owning spouse or relative than any other assailant.

The bottom line is that having a legal gun in the house increases your likelihood of being shot, rather than reducing it. On the counter side, there are nearly no cases of people using legal guns to save themselves from gun violence. The fact is that pulling a gun increases the likelihood that an assailant will shoot you. I can't recall a single story where a legal gun owner has stepped in to stop a massacre. The vast majority of gun massacres were performed with legally owned guns. Even though massacres represent a fraction of gun deaths, it is yet another scenario where gun owner fantasies fail to match reality.

I don't own one because I don't want to increase my, or my family's chances of being shot.

You only increase your chances of being shot if you're a moron. My dad owned guns all through my childhood.....no one in my family ever got shot. Millions of gun owners go their entire lives with no one being shot in their family. 

And maybe there are no cases of legal gun owners stopping a gun massacre, most likely Because there weren't any around. How many students do you know that carry a gun in High school??????? But there are countless stories of legal gun owners who saved themselves from gun violence from intruders who broke into their home. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I can't recall a single story where a legal gun owner has stepped in to stop a massacre.

Oh there have been such cases. Wasn't there one where a churchlady stopped some guy who was about to shoot people?

I have to disagree in part. There are cases where legal gun owners use gun to stop violence. They're in the news all the time, and waved around by gun control opponents.

However, it is also true that "The bottom line is that having a legal gun in the house increases your likelihood of being shot, rather than reducing it" (and increases the chance of a child shooting themselves; and makes suicide easier, etc).

They aren't mutually exclusive. Guns can be used to save lives. It's just that on balance, a heavily armed society is going to see a lot more gun violence after all. And that's why we have both the most guns per capita and gun violence per capita - we're way past other countries on that front. 

USA ! USA! USA!

True but, "gun violence" also includes case of justified gun violence aka defending ones self legally.

Why is it that states with less retrictive gun laws have less overall violent crime?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

You only increase your chances of being shot if you're a moron. My dad owned guns all through my childhood.....no one in my family ever got shot.

But, that doesn't mean their chances of getting shot weren't increased. They were just on the non-shot side of the population-wide statistics regarding gun ownership.

You have a 50% of getting heads if you flip a coin. If you clip a coin twice and get tails both times, that doesn't mean the expression of probability was wrong.

Edits.

Don't get me wrong: one's personal behavior obviously effects the likelihoods to some extent. You have X% chance to get in an accident when you drive. But, if you are a defensive driver, you're less likely to get in an accident than if you're an aggressive text-and-driver.

Your family may have been responsible with guns, but that doesn't entirely mitigate risk.

The way my dad handled his guns took getting shot 100% out of the way. If simply wasn't possible. His guns were locked up when not in use. In use was using them at shooting range. 

And no, getting the key wasn't possible. Nor was there an interest due to not wanting to face the wrath of my dad if my brother or I somehow, some way did get access to his guns. Plus, since my dad didn't make a big deal of there being guns in the house and because he took us to the range with him there was zero curiosity to get at the guns on our own. That's called parenting. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

You only increase your chances of being shot if you're a moron.

That may be your opinion, but it doesn't represent reality.  People are shot and killed in their own home daily in this country. 

Not only do you increase your own chance of being shot, you increase your children's chances of being shot.....I suppose they're morons too?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Guns are not as big a problem as is mental illness.

We are all mentally ill.

Some of them are just "advanced cases" , with most people it's not so obvious.

We are a defective species. We will always have problems....and as population increases, problems magnify and increase also. Add more guns to the mix, and this is what happens.

I wish I had the answer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

You only increase your chances of being shot if you're a moron.

That may be your opinion, but it doesn't represent reality.  People are shot and killed in their own home daily in this country. 

Because they are morons

Not only do you increase your own chance of being shot, you increase your children's chances of being shot.....I suppose they're morons too?

Nope....the parent who leaves the unattended loaded weapon is the moron.  

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

The way my dad handled his guns took getting shot 100% out of the way. If simply wasn't possible. His guns were locked up when not in use. In use was using them at shooting range. 

And no, getting the key wasn't possible. Nor was there an interest due to not wanting to face the wrath of my dad if my brother or I somehow, some way did get access to his guns. Plus, since my dad didn't make a big deal of there being guns in the house and because he took us to the range with him there was zero curiosity to get at the guns on our own. That's called parenting. 

I guess the further question is: Would he have gotten out the gun if an intruder broke in?

He didn't own guns for protection. He enjoyed the hobby of target shooting. In fact, the guns were locked up in the basement. My dad wasn't too concerned with intruders. Maybe it's because of where we lived, maybe he just wasn't a paranoid person. I don't actually know. 

That's one of the main points. Generally, intruders don't want to kill you because that's murder, and life in jail is no good. They just want you to not look at them and let them take what they want, generally.

But if they have a gun, and you pull yours on them, there may be some gunshots. And you may be the one to drop.

Well sure...generally. But there are many cases of home invasions that ended in horrific deadly scenes where the owner had no gun that which provoked the intruder to use his. In many cases just cocking a shotgun will result in the intruder taking off. I don't own a gun, but I do own a Louisville Slugger that I wouldn't hesitate to use to tattoo some a55 hole who invaded my home...provided I was able to of course. 

• This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:

I guess the further question is: Would he have gotten out the gun if an intruder broke in?

That's one of the main points. Generally, intruders don't want to kill you because that's murder, and life in jail is no good. They just want you to not look at them and let them take what they want, generally.

But if they have a gun, and you pull yours on them, there may be some gunshots. And you may be the one to drop.

And then there's these tragic cases.

A 14-YEAR-OLD girl was shot dead by her stepfather after he reportedly mistook her for a burglar. -

See more at: http://www.coloradonewsday.com/national/34582-dad-shoots-girl-mistakes-for-burglar.html#sthash.sGG4HcK3.dpuf

Moron. Do you not call out "who's there? I have a gun" at which point daughter would yell out "it's me daddy"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A former member of South Africa's Springbok rugby team has been charged with murder after mistaking his daughter for a car thief and shooting her in the family's driveway.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-83804.html&amp&

Again, moron. No person with a brain would just blindly shoot at someone without giving some kind of warning like "stop, I called the police". 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An off-duty New Haven police officer shot and wounded his 18-year-old daughter, apparently mistaking her for an intruder after she sneaked out of their Stratford home and re-entered through the basement.

http://slumz.boxden.com/f5/may-30-officer-shoots-daughter-mistaken-intruder-918545/

This is getting old. See above replies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter Haven, Florida -- A Winter Haven mother has been arrested after police say she shot and killed her adult daughter in an apparent case of mistaken identity.

See above

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROCHESTER, Minn. (AP) — Rochester police say a grandfather shot and critically wounded his teenage granddaughter after mistaking her for an intruder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See above

A retired Rochester Police Department captain who is now a police officer in Wyoming County shot and killed his son Saturday morning after he mistakenly thought he was an intruder, according to the New York State Police.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120721/NEWS01/307210058/Michael-Leach-Matthew-Leach-shooting

And lastly....see above. 

These stories further my point that it's the common sense lacking morons who shoot and kill people by accident. 

If I think an intruder has entered my home the first thing I do is yell out that the police have been called and to leave now. Therefore if it happens to be a family member they would yell out letting me know. Only a moron would just start blindly shooting up the place.

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:

A Kentucky lawmaker has confirmed that she accidentally discharged a handgun in her Capitol office on Tuesday.

State Rep. Leslie Combs (D) told WHAS that she was unloading the gun in her Capitol annex office when it discharged. A bookcase was struck by a bullet after it ricocheted off the floor.

Her excuse:

“I thought it was totally clear,” she said. “I am a gun owner. It happens.”

All too frequently and with much more disasterous results.

Another example of a moron. 

When I would go shooting with my dad we checked and rechecked several times each gun to make sure they were empty. The semi-auto stayed open and without a mag in when not in use. Revolver would be left with the cylinder open when not in use. That was it was obvious they weren't loaded. It's called common sense. Unfortunately common sense isn't something that can be taught. One either has it or they don't. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I can't recall a single story where a legal gun owner has stepped in to stop a massacre.

Oh there have been such cases. Wasn't there one where a churchlady stopped some guy who was about to shoot people?

I have to disagree in part. There are cases where legal gun owners use gun to stop violence. They're in the news all the time, and waved around by gun control opponents.

However, it is also true that "The bottom line is that having a legal gun in the house increases your likelihood of being shot, rather than reducing it" (and increases the chance of a child shooting themselves; and makes suicide easier, etc).

They aren't mutually exclusive. Guns can be used to save lives. It's just that on balance, a heavily armed society is going to see a lot more gun violence after all. And that's why we have both the most guns per capita and gun violence per capita - we're way past other countries on that front.

USA ! USA! USA!

So in addition to being known as "prison nation" and "trash nation" we can add "gun nation"....YAY us...

Now..if we could only lead the industrialized world in things like education, science and technology and health care....

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

100% agree.

+1

Add my +1 to that as well!

You only increase your chances of being shot if you're a moron. My dad owned guns all through my childhood.....no one in my family ever got shot. Millions of gun owners go their entire lives with no one being shot in their family. 

And maybe there are no cases of legal gun owners stopping a gun massacre, most likely Because there weren't any around. How many students do you know that carry a gun in High school??????? But there are countless stories of legal gun owners who saved themselves from gun violence from intruders who broke into their home. 

So...then perhaps the question should be..how do we keep guns out of the hands of morons?

•  

[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine owns several guns..for hunting, collecting and one for protection. Except for the gun he carries for protection all the other guns are locked in a very secure safe for which no one else in the house has the combination. No children in the house though..so leaving one gun in the nightstand is not an issue. I am guessing if there were children in the house he would figure something else out.

So...then perhaps the question should be..how do we keep guns out of the hands of morons?

Sadly we can't legislate stupidity. 

•  

A friend of mine owns several guns..for hunting, collecting and one for protection. Except for the gun he carries for protection all the other guns are locked in a very secure safe for which no one else in the house has the combination. No children in the house though..so leaving one gun in the nightstand is not an issue. I am guessing if there were children in the house he would figure something else out.

He's one of the responsible gun owners. Good for him

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from RememberTheAndrea. Show RememberTheAndrea's posts

It is awful what keeps happening with guns in the US. IMO it's never safe to leave a gun out.

•  

In response to RememberTheAndrea's comment:

It is awful what keeps happening with guns in the US. IMO it's never safe to leave a gun out.

If a person has no kids and lives alone or has a spouse and wants to keep a loaded gun in the dresser to feel safe then that's fine, provided when they aren't home it's locked up. Because if they are broken into while not home the criminal could find it and now your gun is on the street being used for god knows what. I couldn't live with that which is why IF I did have a gun it would be locked up 24/7. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts