Republican Controlled Supreme Court Strikes Down Arizona Law

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

Republican Controlled Supreme Court Strikes Down Arizona Law

Surprise! Justice Scalia Strikes Down Arizona Law Requiring Proof Of Citizenship To Register To Vote

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06/17/2166661/surprise-justice-scalia-strikes-down-arizona-law-requiring-proof-of-citizenship-to-register-to-vote/

In an opinion by conservative Justice Antonin Scalia, a 7-2 Supreme Court held this morning that an Arizona law requiring voting officials to reject voter registration forms that are “not accompanied by concrete evidence of citizenship” conflicts with a federal law requiring states to use a uniform voter registration form for federal elections. Scalia once justified an anti-immigrant opinion with a reference to laws excluding “freed blacks” from southern states, and he called the Voting Rights Act a “perpetuation of racial entitlement. So his authorship of this opinion is both unexpected and a sign of the weakness of Arizona’s legal position in defending this law.

For years deluded right wingers have said that gun registration restricts your freedom as it allows the government to keep tabs on you.  Yet, these same delusionals feel that registration for voting with "concrete evidence of citizenship" does not make such an imposition. If they were as principled as they pretend to be  they would be taking a consistent position on the matter of registration.

The SC has ruled that federal law trumps state law.  Indeed, the supremacy clause of the Constitution settles that easily. Therefore, Arizona's suppressive law was overruled by federal law in this case. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Republican Controlled Supreme Court Strikes Down Arizona Law

Please explain how supreme court is "republican controlled". The vote was 7-2...do you think there are seven republicans on the supreme court? If so, please name the seven you think are republicans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

An ID yes. Prove citizenship No.

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
    âۥ Socrates

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

This is how elections are won. They say we need an immigration policy, but no plan to secure the borders, so the just keep coming across. No citizenship, obtain and ID, and their vote counts the same as a citizen?...or cancels a citizen's vote out. If they want to vote so badly then citizenship should be the priority.

I understand why one party wants to leave things the way they are. Citizenship and an ID to vote makes way too much sense, which is why we'll never see it.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to newman09's comment:

This is how elections are won. They say we need an immigration policy, but no plan to secure the borders, so the just keep coming across. No citizenship, obtain and ID, and their vote counts the same as a citizen?...or cancels a citizen's vote out. If they want to vote so badly then citizenship should be the priority.

I understand why one party wants to leave things the way they are. Citizenship and an ID to vote makes way too much sense, which is why we'll never see it.  

It'd be nice if we had solid evidence of how many illegals actually voted and for whom.

Forgive me if I do not choose to patch over the lack of evidence with a conspiracy minded blind assertion.

Conspiracy? Not my style, you're forgiven.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

It'd be nice if we had solid evidence of how many illegals actually voted and for whom.

Forgive me if I do not choose to patch over the lack of evidence with a conspiracy minded blind assertion.

lol yea but, you know it's true!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not in the least.

The last time an R looked into alleged voter fraud by Dems in national elections (that would be the Bush DOJ, for four years), all they came up with is about 80 votes in total cast in technically the wrong district.

Given the GOP talking point track record on supposed "voter fraud".....

You'll have to forgive me if I am not willing to assume that tons of illegals vote Dem, and that Dems are therefore engaged in a big conspiracy to let them into the country.

I never mentioned fraud, my reference is to voting without citizenship. Fraud was never mentioned. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to tvoter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not in the least.

The last time an R looked into alleged voter fraud by Dems in national elections (that would be the Bush DOJ, for four years), all they came up with is about 80 votes in total cast in technically the wrong district.

Given the GOP talking point track record on supposed "voter fraud".....

You'll have to forgive me if I am not willing to assume that tons of illegals vote Dem, and that Dems are therefore engaged in a big conspiracy to let them into the country.

I never mentioned fraud, my reference is to voting without citizenship. Fraud was never mentioned. 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say you mentioned fraud. In fact, in that post I was responding to tvoter.

What I did say is that the reason I'm not going to credit claims of improper voting by illegals without evidence is because the last time the GOP made hay out of vote problems - the vote fraud I mentioned - they failed to prove anything (the failed DOJ investigation I mentioned).

[/QUOTE]

So, prohibiting those who register to vote from having to prove that they are citizens leads to what, exactly?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

It was the right decision.  Justices Thomas and Alito apparantly don't care (or agree) that federal law overrides state ones.

The GOP has spun this into the greatest threat to freedom since the birth of President Obama. The Arizona law had nothing to do with preserving our rights or protecting our freedoms. It's about preventing poor people and hispanics from voting. The GOP is fighting to prevent a few red states from turning blue because of growing hispanic populations. This is just one step removed from the poll taxes that were put in place to prevent blacks from voting in the South.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

So, prohibiting those who register to vote from having to prove that they are citizens leads to what, exactly?

If you find evidence, present it.

"True the Vote"

Here are the facts:

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

-----------------------

Nice dodge!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

. It's about preventing poor people and hispanics from voting.

So let me flip the tables here, is there any evidence of this? 

The old line "it will scare the poor and other groups from voting" ... bull! Currently you still have to register prior to voting, what's sooooo outrageous about pulling out your Govt. issued ID card?  

One step from Black voter suppression in the old south? That's a big reach and rediculous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"True the Vote"

Here are the facts:

I love the 'dead people on voter rolls' fear.....as if they somehow registered after they died.

Anyone who has worked with the voter registration rolls knows they are not perfect. They can never be.That's because people are constantly moving, changing names when they get married, dying, getting divorced, and so on. Keeping all the names and addresses current is expensive and time consuming and most county clerks don't have the resources needed keep the rolls in a state of perfection

The purpose of the voter registration system is not to create a perfect database that keeps track of all voters. The purpose is to enable citizens to vote. And if the system does that with a minimum of obstructions, then, in my view, it's working exactly the way it should.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"True the Vote"

Here are the facts:

I love the 'dead people on voter rolls' fear.....as if they somehow registered after they died.

Anyone who has worked with the voter registration rolls knows they are not perfect. They can never be.That's because people are constantly moving, changing names when they get married, dying, getting divorced, and so on. Keeping all the names and addresses current is expensive and time consuming and most county clerks don't have the resources needed keep the rolls in a state of perfection

The purpose of the voter registration system is not to create a perfect database that keeps track of all voters. The purpose is to enable citizens to vote. And if the system does that with a minimum of obstructions, then, in my view, it's working exactly the way it should.

I couldn't agree more on counties keeping the rolls as up to date as possible with all the changes in peoples lives that can happen over the years. Having an ID sure would help clean things up.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Republican controlled?  Frggin absurd.  Your calculus would therefore conclude that Stephen Breyer and JP Stevens were republicans. Okey dokey dude.

There's 4 liberals, 4 conservatives and a swinger.  Most even split in decades.

So if you look at Breyer and Stevens, you can certainly conclude that republican presidents appoint based on qualification over ideology.  When's the last time a dem POTUS appointed a conservative?

Put down the shovel.

lol

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Nice try.  Is this yet another inconvient a question you will spend several posts not answering?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

An interesting interpretation of the ruling:

http://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/2013/06/17/left-loses-big-in-arizona-supreme-court-case/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

"True the Vote"

Here are the facts:

"True the Vote" - a right wing group headed by conspiracy nut Engelbrecht who believes the government is out to get her. Not a shred of evidence to support her claims but, as always, right wing delusionals fall for her delusionalism.

Sections
Shortcuts