Rick Scott Signs Bill Banning Paid Sick Leave

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Rick Scott Signs Bill Banning Paid Sick Leave

Although I understand the concern for not wanting to require businesses to manage different sick leave regulations for every town they do business, the state brings this on themselves for not having a statewide mandate for sick leave.

Everyone gets sick.  Many get sick at work because the nature of their job has them face to face with the public.  No pay for sick leave means sick people on the job spreading what they have.  Its just basic human decency to not punish people for getting ill.  Every state should have a mandate that ALL employees accrue sick time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Although I understand the concern for not wanting to require businesses to manage different sick leave regulations for every town they do business, the state brings this on themselves for not having a statewide mandate for sick leave.

Everyone gets sick.  Many get sick at work because the nature of their job has them face to face with the public.  No pay for sick leave means sick people on the job spreading what they have.  Its just basic human decency to not punish people for getting ill.  Every state should have a mandate that ALL employees accrue sick time.

i agree 100%

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Agreed.

There have been days where my boss has taken one look at me and litterely thrown me out of the building. I'll work if I'm limping, my arm hurts, I've got a headache, etc., but if I catch something that I can give to someone else, it's out the door and don't come back until you're back to normal.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

All those "sick" and "disabled" Mass. state workers lifting weights and suntanning on the beach thank you for your support.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Think Progress lies a lot.

Think Progress, an arm of the Center for American Progress, published an article on Tuesday titled “Florida’s Governor Signs Business-Backed Bill Banning Paid Sick Leave.” The bill, however, does not ban paid sick leave. Many Florida employers offer their employees paid sick leave and the bill does nothing to block employers from offering such a job benefit. The bill merely ensures that Florida employers are not required by law to pay workers for days they don’t show up for work claiming to be sick.

The Florida legislature passed the legislation with overwhelming support. The Florida House passed the bill by a vote of 75-43. The Florida Senate passed the bill by a vote of 25-13. Scott did not publicly take a position on the bill as it worked its way through the legislature. On Monday Scott signed the bill into law.

Several media outlets joined the Center for American Progress distorting the issue. America Online (AOL), for example, published an article and an accompanying news video titled “Florida Bans Paid Sick Leave Statewide.” The bill does not ban paid sick leave.

The title may be somewhat misleading, but their article isn't spreading any lies.

The legislation just prevents local lawmakers from passing sick leave laws, which were starting to crop up in some communities. 

The ALEC written law is meant to prevent business from managing a patchwork of different sick leave laws.  This begs the question:  Why doesn't ALEC just propose a law that would standardize sick leave in the state to prevent that problem (like in Ct)? Answer:  they don't believe people should get paid sick leave if their employer doesn't want them to have it.

Sick indeed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The ALEC written law . . .

. . . is more bullsht

They write bills and hand it off to politicians to vote on.  Its what they do. 

Whats hard to understand here?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

The ALEC written law . . .

. . . is more bullsht

They write bills and hand it off to politicians to vote on.  Its what they do. 

Whats hard to understand here?

Civics, and its not what they do.  Other than that, spot on.

The very first sentence from the Wiki page for ALEC.

The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is a 501(c)(3) American organization composed of legislators, businesses and foundations which produces model legislation for state legislatures

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts