Right-wing backlash against Occupy Wall St. begins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Right-wing backlash against Occupy Wall St. begins

In Response to Re: Right-wing backlash against Occupy Wall St. begins:
    In Response to Re: Right-wing backlash against Occupy Wall St. begins : ....I haven't been on this site that long, wondering what mattyscorn had for comments when the Tea Party was in Boston with Sarah P. I am guessing freedom of speech and freedom to gather were not part of his comments.
    Posted by OAMLFO

Since you can't ask me yourself, I'll answer for joe:

I said the exact same thing.  The tee partee has every right to protest, and I have every right to call out their specious arguments on their many inconsistencies.

Populism is populism, no matter which side it's on.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What are the protesters against, and what do they want done about it? Anyone?
    Posted by GreginMeffa

The protesters themselves don't appear to know, but there is a list of quasi-demands that someone at moveon came up with, if you're interested.

Essentially, they want stuff to be free.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

Essentially, they want stuff to be free.

As you pointed out in another thread...what do you expect from the "no score keeping everybody wins and everybody gets a trophy for participation" generation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to speak for a movement of which I am not a part, I think there is a single, simple, fundamental equation and demand at the root of the protest, and indeed at the root of most problems average Americans face:

Money + Politicians = the end of democracy

We can all plainly see that those with the means are literally able to purchase the policies best suited to meet their interests. Those without the means are ignored, except in the months leading to elections when we are lied to....by both parties.

The demand is that the cycle of money + politics must be broken, so that public servants will once again represent those who vote for them, not those who pay for their television ads and junkets. The endless fundraising needs to stop. It's killing us. Politicians need to beg for votes, not money.

How is that going to happen? That's actually up to those who choose to run for office (which complicates the problem to no end). These protests, should they grow large enough, will eventually force those in office to make a choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

They have as much right to protest as the tee partiers do.  The comparisons are fair game for examination, whether in bad faith or not.  (et tu, Lowry?) And, like the tee partee, it happened a bit late in the game to truly deflect any charge of opportunism.  It gives hacks like Lowry the chance to opine that - somehow - protests against govt-enabled capitalism are wrong while protests against our capitalist-beholden government are right. Criticize their arguments (such as they are) all day if you want but not their efforts to be heard.  This is our democracy in action...provided it translates to votes at the polls.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Not denying their right to protest, but it woudl help to have a point and to not cr@p all over the park.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to speak for a movement of which I am not a part, I think there is a single, simple, fundamental equation and demand at the root of the protest, and indeed at the root of most problems average Americans face: Money + Politicians = the end of democracy We can all plainly see that those with the means are literally able to purchase the policies best suited to meet their interests. Those without the means are ignored, except in the months leading to elections when we are lied to....by both parties. The demand is that the cycle of money + politics must be broken, so that public servants will once again represent those who vote for them, not those who pay for their television ads and junkets. The endless fundraising needs to stop. It's killing us. Politicians need to beg for votes, not money. How is that going to happen? That's actually up to those who choose to run for office (which complicates the problem to no end). These protests, should they grow large enough, will eventually force those in office to make a choice.
    Posted by UserName99

True word.

Consider this:  The same politicians that wouldn't let the TEA party protesters speak at their town meetings can't wait to get in front of a microphone and tell people what a wonderful thing this protest is.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

This IS the tea party.  Just smarter and not dependent on government handouts.
    Posted by movingtarget3

Sure, if you say so. 

I guess those demanding a job other than entry level are just expecting that to happen because they say so.  I guess all these big government types are all excited about this movement because they will no longer have to propose big dollar stimulus packages.

Yep, if you say so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This IS the tea party.  Just smarter and not dependent on government handouts.
    Posted by movingtarget3

The UAW isn't dependent on government handouts?

From what planet are you reporting?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I think it's time to storm Wall Street and officially bring our economy to a complete halt.

These evil corporations are continuing to pay salaries, offer health insurance, pay tuition reimbursement and be competitive in the world economy producing the best and most advanced products and services in history. These corporate atrocities must stop!!!

I heard that some corporations even give large amounts of money to charities!!!  Unacceptable.  End this corporate evil NOW!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Remember that scene in The Wild One where Mary Murphy asks Marlon Brandon what he's rebelling against and Brando deadpans: "What do you got?"

Nah.

Me neither.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Right-wing backlash against Occupy Wall St. begins : Based upon what...??  That's a serious charge you're not backing up.... And even if it was astroturfed, how is that substantively different than freedomworks backing the tee partee groups? 
    Posted by MattyScornD

The difference is one proudly backed a group the other hides it, you figure out which one.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobc33. Show bobc33's posts

If you offered some really good herb as a salary do you think the average "occupier" would work on Wall Street?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Occupy Wall Street protester takes a dump on a police car. Quite a political  statement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I use the Wall Street protesters as a teaching moment for my twelve year old daughter. I explain to her when you are sadly misinformed and lack confidence to think on your own this is what you become.
    Posted by TFefio

Sadly misinformed?  How so?  The economy is dreadful for young people.  They are saddled with college debt and looking at lousy job prospects and the very real possibility that they will be overtaken by their younger brothers and sisters when (and if) the economy rebounds.  Sure they lack confidence: they are confronting systemic issues far beyond their control and paying the price of poor economic poolicies from the past.  Happy talk will not fix this situation.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

They are saddled with college debt and looking at lousy job prospects and the very real possibility that they will be overtaken by their younger brothers and sisters when (and if) the economy rebounds.

You mean the debt they signed on for??????????????????????????? That was a CHOICE they made. This isn't the first time in this country that graduates have had a scarce job market. They're no more special than anyone else who's struggled. It's called LIFE!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I work in the city and see these shiftless slackers everyday. There are almost exclusively white, college educated, spoiled brats. And they represent a symptom of what is wrong with our society today.
    These kids go through childhood being told that they are "special" and unique. They get trophies for merely being on a sports team. Their parents coddle them, treat them as equals and give them everything they want. After graduating college the real world hits them like a ton of bricks. Suddenly, they find out that they aren't going to start a job making $100,000 a year, and the hiring manager doesn't see that much special about them. So they end up working in restaurants and they lash out.

Applauding the protesters for their right to demonstrate is like clapping for 5 year old children who kick and scream in a grocery store because they can't have a candy bar.

Now they plan to demonstrate in front of wealthy peoples private residence in NY. What do they want from them at their private homes, for them to throw their money out the window to them? (you know share the wealth) These people need to get a life, grow up and start taking on personal responsibility.

Sections
Shortcuts