Ryan Budget

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Ryan Budget

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

How about closing all those awesome loop-holes, but not cutting taxes?

Not happening, loopholes are how Democrats reward their elite cronies. Try again?

Nice theory, but Republicans in the Senate just filibustered a deal that would have closed loop-holes to avoid the sequester.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

So, assuming that any Republican plan is pure evil, what is the Democrat plan to reduce the deficit?

Hasn't Obama signed into law 2.4 trillion dollars worth of deficit reduction that should take place between 2013 thur 2022...... 1.8 trillion in spending cuts and another 600 million dollars of revenue increases ?

No, he hasn't.  

All he has done is slow the rate of growth of the deficit.  Neither side has done anything in the area of deficit reduction.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Not happening, loopholes are how Democrats reward their elite cronies. Try again?

Nice theory, but Republicans in the Senate just filibustered a deal that would have closed loop-holes to avoid the sequester.

Haha that's funny. another "how fast was he going when he backed up into you" moment for the left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Haha that's funny. another "how fast was he going when he backed up into you" moment for the left.

I don't even know what this comment means.  SB says the Dems won't close the loop-holes they just voted to close.  Are you saying the Dems are somehow causing the filibusters?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

Ryan's budget will never pass. 

And yet you guys keep whining about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Name one democrat that favors a flat tax.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Most people favor a simpler tax- one where you pay one rate and get rid of all deductions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I don't even know what this comment means.  SB says the Dems won't close the loop-holes they just voted to close.  Are you saying the Dems are somehow causing the filibusters?

Bingo.  Give that man a prize.

the left is putting turds up on the negotiation able, and the republicans are scorched for not going along.

but, let's for one moment just be bipartisan here.  The deficit/debt is on a path to crush us.  Regardless of the "good" things government does, we can't afford it.  So, we need to get rid of it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Closing loop-holes doesn't equal a flat tax, but if the flat tax included capital gains, I think you'd see a lot of Dems on board.  It might be something like the first 20K of income is tax exempt, the next 20K is taxed at 10%, the next 50K at 20%, etc.  I would support something like that.  You want to shrink government, let's start with the IRS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Closing loop-holes doesn't equal a flat tax, but if the flat tax included capital gains, I think you'd see a lot of Dems on board.  It might be something like the first 20K of income is tax exempt, the next 20K is taxed at 10%, the next 50K at 20%, etc.  I would support something like that.  You want to shrink government, let's start with the IRS.

That's not a flat tax.  That is a progressive tax.

while what you suggest is animprovement, it still suffers from the ideological constraints of progressive taxing of income.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

All the handwring by resident Lefites for nothing...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/22/paul-ryan-budget-senate_n_2929568.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Agreed! The IRS is so incredibly bloated that even CPA's have a hard time with the tax code.

I am in favor of a flat tax..as long as it includes all income ( except Social Security). I am also in favor of eliminating all deductions. This would drastically simplify the tax code.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I see we have a surprising well of common sense here... but name one leadership level democrat that is in favor of a flat tax.

Please and thank-you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I see we have a surprising well of common sense here... but name one leadership level democrat that is in favor of a flat tax.

Please and thank-you.

I said I'd have voted for Huntsman....  

I've said the same thing Re: Huntsman. If he could have made it past the primary process he'd be sitting in the Oval Office. But...WDYWN..I've always gotten the sense that you are..like me..pretty much in the middle. I guess depending on the extremity of position on the right..then middle could be considered left. Certainly left of rightwing extreme. Heck..even Huntsman who is a traditional conservative was considered a "leftie" by our more extreme cohorts on BDC. 

Which leads to this question..What is "left" really..when one is so far over to the right that everything else is left? And...what does the right really want..? When they nominated Romney who was the most "left" of all the candidates?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Please and thank-you.

There's support on the state level - 5 of the 7 states with flat income taxes were blue in the 2012 election. Nationally, public opinion is divided but not exactly along party lines - Dems oppose a flat tax about 60-40.  If you added some protection for the very low-income (like first $x of income is tax-exempt) you could easily see a majority.

The problem with the flat tax on a national level is nobody is discussing capital gains income as if it is income - Huckabee's flat tax called for eliminating taxes on capital gains.  I understand the theory that you want to encourage investment back into the economy, but you have to address the reality that the richest among us are simply filtering their income through a corporation and paying a fraction of what they would if they drew the same amount in salary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Please and thank-you.

There's support on the state level - 5 of the 7 states with flat income taxes were blue in the 2012 election. Nationally, public opinion is divided but not exactly along party lines - Dems oppose a flat tax about 60-40.  If you added some protection for the very low-income (like first $x of income is tax-exempt) you could easily see a majority.

The problem with the flat tax on a national level is nobody is discussing capital gains income as if it is income - Huckabee's flat tax called for eliminating taxes on capital gains.  I understand the theory that you want to encourage investment back into the economy, but you have to address the reality that the richest among us are simply filtering their income through a corporation and paying a fraction of what they would if they drew the same amount in salary.

In most cases cap gains is not ordinary income.  It is return on money that has already been taxed, and requires waiting one year minimum for it to be taxed at cap gains rates.  Before that, it is taxed as ordinary income already.  Here's a helpful guide:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-capital-gains-are-taxed.html

As far as the rich "filtering" their income through a corporation:  isn't that what you do?  It's called a paycheck.