School indoctrination of kids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

School indoctrination of kids

Some of you may discount the source, but I have trouble believing the school's apparent position that this 4th grader (who doesn't get the difference between 'wright' and 'right', nor the difference between 'or' and 'are') created this catchy little slogan on his own.  Especially if another student's parent complained earlier.  Giving up rights to our all mighty controllers in Washington DC is an important lesson for the kiddies though so why are we waiting until 4th grade to burn this horseshit into their brains?  

http://www.theblaze.com/storie...utional-rights/  

The words are written in crayon, in the haphazard bumpiness of a child’s scrawl.

“I am willing to give up some of my constitutional rights in order to be safer or more secure.”

They’re the words that Florida father Aaron Harvey was stunned to find his fourth-grade son had written, after a lesson in school about the Constitution.

Harvey’s son attends Cedar Hills Elementary in Jacksonville, Fla. Back in January, a local attorney came in to teach the students about the Bill of Rights. But after the attorney left, fourth-grade teacher Cheryl Sabb dictated the sentence to part of the class and had them copy it down, he said.

The paper sat unnoticed in Harvey’s son’s backpack for several months until last week, when his son’s mother almost threw it away. The words caught her eye in the trash, and she showed it to Harvey, who said he was at a loss for words. He asked his son, who said Sabb had spoken the sentence out loud and told them to write it down. Harvey said he asked some of his son’s classmates and got a similar answer.

“Everybody has their opinions,” Harvey told TheBlaze. “I am strongly for proper education, for the freedom of thought so you can form your own opinion and have your own free speech in the future… [but] the education is, ‘when was the Constitution drafted, when was it ratified, why did this happen, why did we choose to do this…all these things, why did they particular choose those specific rights to be in our Bill of Rights.’”

Kandra Albury, a spokeswoman for Duvall County Public Schools, which includes Cedar Hills, told TheBlaze she didn’t know what prompted Sabb to have students write the sentence.

She said the principal had fielded one parent’s concern about the lesson in January, but it wasn’t Harvey. She said Thursday the district and principal were “checking into” what had happened.

Harvey, rather than asking the school for answers when he found the paper, wrote his concerns in an email, which was then forwarded to TheBlaze. He said he did it that way because he wasn’t sure he would have gotten a straightforward answer if he asked the school directly.

He said he just wants to see a “proper, unbiased education” system and doesn’t want any kind of religion or politics brought into the classroom.

“I believe in our Constitution. I am a veteran, I served for six-and-a-half years proudly and I served to protect our rights,” he said. “Now whenever I have someone coming in and trying to pollute my child’s mind with biased opinions…there’s no education in that.”

Update, 11:36 a.m.: Harvey told TheBlaze he received a call from the school Friday morning that featured the principal, guidance counselor and Sabb. He was told the sentence came during the lesson with the lawyer, that Sabb had nothing to do with it, and that Harvey’s son “wrote it on his own free will.”

Harvey said he had spoken to a girl in the class who specifically said Sabb handpicked students to write the sentence.

“All the children are pointing at the teacher,” Harvey said Friday. “They [the school] told me that my son wrote that on his own free will — there’s now way he knew how to write that on his own free will. He likes to use some big words to flourish — [but] if he was going to put together a sentence that political I’m sure it would be more jumbled than a nice sentence like that.”

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: School indoctrination of kids

I love when people use terms like "indoctrination" when it comes to educating children. I'm going to guess that the OP hasn't been in a 4th grade class lately if he doesn't believe that 4th graders know the difference between "wright" and "right" and "are" and "or".

So what if an adult may have helped him spell the big words like constitution? I used to help my son spell big words all the time. In the fourth grade kids are learning about the constitution and about rights.

If you don't think school children have very strong reactions to the Sandyhook shootings then you are living under a rock. Sounds like this kid is understandably anxious.

Besides..this idea of giving up rights for security is nothing new. Wasn't this the mantra of the Bush administration when they proposed listening in on our telephone conversations without a warrant...or when we stopped being able to bring liquid on an airplane?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Yes, this is evidence of bad education.  Right wingers take an incident of an outsider teaching a bad lesson in one school and extrapolate that there is "school indoctrination" that has been going on for "decades" as part of "utopian vision of the Democrat party".  That is just plain stupid thinking and more than a few people believe this nonsense.  Now THAT is a sad state of affairs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Do you want to know what is wrong with the educational system in this country ...... the states in our country combined spend almost 5 times more money on prisons than they do on education .

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

We need education vouchers and competition to improve the quality of schools. Just throwing more tax dollars to a failing system results in the fattened hyenas, the teacher unions,  getting more money to recycle to Democrats, to support their efforts to squelch reform.

Per-pupil spending on public education has more than doubled over the past three decades, while student performance has flatlined.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Do you want to know what is wrong with the educational system in this country ...... the states in our country combined spend almost 5 times more money on prisons than they do on education .

Clearly education is not keeping people out of prison.  Maybe time to bring the bible back to school, teach some morals.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Clearly education is not keeping people out of prison.  Maybe time to bring the bible back to school, teach some morals.

The morals that you want to teach our children isn't found in the Bible ...... i.e. making massive cuts in education and early childhood assistance to give millionaires and billionaires tax breaks .

Hah!  I knew I would get your attention!

Massive cuts in education?  what planet are you on?  There are no massive cuts in education...but there should be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Your point is well taken , and I would never dispute the extreme need for improved morals and common sense.

But , I believe this is the job of the parents and grandparents, not the job of school teachers.

We had a discussion about this over dinner the other night. I said "thank you" when my significant other of over twenty years placed a dish of food in front me. She said "you don't have to say thank you every time do you ? " I guess she feels that because we have lived together for so long it absolves me of having to be polite. I told her that it was a force of habit, I was taught these things when I was young by my parents. While they are both long gone, their legacy lives on in the way they taught me to be responsible and polite.

I think the young people in our soceity are embracing unhealthy eating habits, and unhealthy attitudes towards others. These things should have been taught by the family....schools should be concerned with math , science , READING, other language skills and not so much social skills. Where do parents get off passing the buck and trusting the schools for every detail of their child's developement.

I do not have children, but if I did I would follow the example of my mom, dad and grandparents and try hard to develope good manners and RESPECT towards others.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Your point is well taken , and I would never dispute the extreme need for improved morals and common sense.

But , I believe this is the job of the parents and grandparents, not the job of school teachers.

We had a discussion about this over dinner the other night. I said "thank you" when my significant other of over twenty years placed a dish of food in front me. She said "you don't have to say thank you every time do you ? " I guess she feels that because we have lived together for so long it absolves me of having to be polite. I told her that it was a force of habit, I was taught these things when I was young by my parents. While they are both long gone, their legacy lives on in the way they taught me to be responsible and polite.

I think the young people in our soceity are embracing unhealthy eating habits, and unhealthy attitudes towards others. These things should have been taught by the family....schools should be concerned with math , science , READING, other language skills and not so much social skills. Where do parents get off passing the buck and trusting the schools for every detail of their child's developement.

I do not have children, but if I did I would follow the example of my mom, dad and grandparents and try hard to develope good manners and RESPECT towards others.

Agreed, and though I bristle when others say it about your posts, well said.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"I think the young people in our soceity are embracing unhealthy eating habits, and unhealthy attitudes towards others. These things should have been taught by the family...."

Thanks to liberal policies,

now more than half of all births to American women under 30 are  out of wedlock, and the trend in marriage-less birth is becoming an accepted reality of American life.

God bless those mothers who try hard to raise their kids alone, but it is twice as hard without 2 parents. This is what liberal social policies are getting us. Saying thank you and bad eating habits are the least of the problems...the welfare state is the new Daddy. A bad substitute for the real thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

You just went "full retard".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

Provocative point, followed by your insipid comment. You must be fun at parties.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

GOP 2013: Guns, Teenage Childbirth, No Taxes, No Education, 'Freedom' and Jesus Christ.

Talk about ignorance....don't look now but you're wallowing in it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What was the complaint, again...?

And why should I care, exactly...??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

What was the complaint, again...?

And why should I care, exactly...??

lol you shouldnt care.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Provocative point, followed by your insipid comment. You must be fun at parties.

Your post was insipid to begin with. And that's being kind. And yes, I am fun at parties.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Your post was insipid to begin with. And that's being kind. And yes, I am fun at parties.

Kinda doubt that you get invited to many parties, but, leaving that aside:

morals are taught in school. The only issue up for discussion is what (or who's) morals?  Currently, it appears the progressive morals of free love, living of the government, and Gaia worship seem to be in vogue. 

Would you agree?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

morals are taught in school. The only issue up for discussion is what (or who's) morals?  Currently, it appears the progressive morals of free love, living of the government, and Gaia worship seem to be in vogue. 

Would you agree?

Which class, exactly, is the 'morals' class?

Who's morals are to be taught?

Do you agree with every moral of every person in your town? Do you even know the morals of all the people in your town?

Your post is quite ironic especially in light of the subject of this thread, that morals are being taught in school but apparently they are the 'wrong' morals... so the OP doesn't want morals taught in school.

I didn't know that I was under an obligation to agree with the OP.

How is my post ironic?  Is it that you prefer the current morality being taught in the schools?

I see some of it as good, some of it as bad.  examples:

It is good that children are being taught to respect those who have different opinions, as long as they are not christians.  We dopn't want those christian opinions in the schools.  Those folks are just crazy, wanting to call Christmas Christmas, and the Easter bunny the Easter bunny.  We can't have such radical concepts in our schools.  Best to stick with teaching them the proper methods of sexual activity, how to use condoms, and the like.

It is bad that children are being taught that the constitution limits the reach and scope of government.  I mean, how would we get by in this world if government is not there to wipe our posteriors?  We need to avoid teaching the 2nd Amendment as law, and relegate it to it's proper place, as a relic from a time when government couldn't be trusted.  We all know government is completely trust worthy.

So, it is a mixed bag, as you can see.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Would you agree?

Which class, exactly, is the 'morals' class?

Who's morals are to be taught?

Do you agree with every moral of every person in your town? Do you even know the morals of all the people in your town?

Your post is quite ironic especially in light of the subject of this thread, that morals are being taught in school but apparently they are the 'wrong' morals... so the OP doesn't want morals taught in school.

I didn't know that I was under an obligation to agree with the OP.

How is my post ironic?  Is it that you prefer the current morality being taught in the schools?

I see some of it as good, some of it as bad.  examples:

It is good that children are being taught to respect those who have different opinions, as long as they are not christians.  We dopn't want those christian opinions in the schools.  Those folks are just crazy, wanting to call Christmas Christmas, and the Easter bunny the Easter bunny.  We can't have such radical concepts in our schools.  Best to stick with teaching them the proper methods of sexual activity, how to use condoms, and the like.

It is bad that children are being taught that the constitution limits the reach and scope of government.  I mean, how would we get by in this world if government is not there to wipe our posteriors?  We need to avoid teaching the 2nd Amendment as law, and relegate it to it's proper place, as a relic from a time when government couldn't be trusted.  We all know government is completely trust worthy.

So, it is a mixed bag, as you can see.

You have no idea what is actually taught in school.  Right wing paranoid fantasies are not the reality. 

But what is taught is the acceptance of diversity and that MUST drive you crazy.  Gays are a cancer to you after all. 

You are better suited living in Calvinist Geneva.  Now those were your kind of morals!  And they enforced them by burning those that didn't accept them.  Burn, baby burn...