SCOTUS gives many voting rights power back to the states. Thought?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

SCOTUS gives many voting rights power back to the states. Thought?

The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that states can no longer be judged by voting discrimination that went on decades ago, in a decision that marks the end of a major civil-rights era reform.

The 5-4 ruling rewrites a key tool of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which for five decades has given the federal government unprecedented say in everything from how some states draw their congressional maps to where they place polling locations.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/25/court-past-voting-discrimination-no-longer-held/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: SCOTUS gives many voting rights power back to the states. Thought?

The old playbook is about to be dusted off.  Get ready for long lines, faulty equipment, picture IDs, purging of the voting rolls etc...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

The old playbook is about to be dusted off.  Get ready for long lines, faulty equipment, picture IDs, purging of the voting rolls etc...

Nothing like negative projections based on a 1950's mentality regarding the realities in states today.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Well I'm not sure whether it would fly, but I'd like a completely different system: computer-randomized districts, redrawn every six or eight years.

Don't let politicians have any say in it. Force representatives to constantly serve a different set of constitutents.

In other words: reduce incentives for pork in the House.

I like that idea.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Got a crystal ball do ya? Hmmmm...I recall a certain someone on BDC who always had a problem with this. Of course this person is strangely silent NOW. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

All states would be a bad decision too Greg as that would necessitate an unconstitutional overreach by the federal government.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpQ8ZFC08wI

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Ok folks I got my little jabs in ... now for what I really think ..... I think the conservative justices did the country a favor ... there should be a grassroots effort to amend the Constitution and guarantee that every American has the right to vote ..... if we don't allow everyone's voice to be heard or everyone's vision to be seen we are nothing more than a new kind of Banana Republic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Ok folks I got my little jabs in ... now for what I really think ..... I think the conservative justices did the country a favor ... there should be a grassroots effort to amend the Constitution and guarantee that every American has the right to vote ..... if we don't allow everyone's voice to be heard or everyone's vision to be seen we are nothing more than a new kind of Banana Republic.

Everyone already has the right to vote.  Some neighborhoods (like Paula Deen's) just get to do it with less hoops to jump thru. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

How do you feel about "originalist" approaches to constitutional questions, like Scalia or worse...Thomas?  

What are you referring to?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

Everyone already has the right to vote.  Some neighborhoods (like Paula Deen's) just get to do it with less hoops to jump thru. 

[/QUOTE]

Some neighborhoods (like Paula Deen's) just get to do it with less hoops to jump thru. 

= HYPERBOLE!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Some neighborhoods (like Paula Deen's) just get to do it with less hoops to jump thru

It's the opposite of "some vote more than once".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I am under the understanding that there is no place in the U.S. Constitution that gaurantees a person the right to vote .... I might be mistaken and if I am will you please show me the  Amendment that does gaurantee us the right to vote .....  maybe I should specified a constitutional right to vote for president .... btw didn't Paula Deen just baked a vanilla cake with a little bit of chocolate mixed in and had it sent over to the SCOTUS ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

I am under the understanding that there is no place in the U.S. Constitution that gaurantees a person the right to vote .... I might be mistaken and if I am will you please show me the  Amendment that does gaurantee us the right to vote .....  maybe I should specified a constitutional right to vote for president .

It's not explicit like the right to free speech, but we have several amendments that outlaw discrimination in voting.  Is that the same?  I don't know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

there should be a grassroots effort to amend the Constitution and guarantee that every American has the right to vote

For the record, voter discrimination is still illegal.

[QUOTE]Some neighborhoods (like Paula Deen's) just get to do it with less hoops to jump thru. [/QUOTE]

You should be happy about that, she's an Obama voter.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

I am under the understanding that there is no place in the U.S. Constitution that gaurantees a person the right to vote .... I might be mistaken and if I am will you please show me the  Amendment that does gaurantee us the right to vote .....  maybe I should specified a constitutional right to vote for president .

It's not explicit like the right to free speech, but we have several amendments that outlaw discrimination in voting.  Is that the same?  I don't know.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so ..... but during Bush v Gore ... I thought that the SCOTUS stated that there wasn't a constitutional gaurantee to the right to vote for president .....  with that being said ...... there should be some bipartisan give and take on the way we elect our leaders , ie an Id card is alright with me for exchange for changing election day into election weekend ... I think alot of positive things can come out of this ruling ...... what do you think ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I don't think so ..... but during Bush v Gore ... I thought that the SCOTUS stated that there wasn't a constitutional gaurantee to the right to vote for president .....  with that being said ...... there should be some bipartisan give and take on the way we elect our leaders , ie an Id card is alright with me for exchange for changing election day into election weekend ... I think alot of positive things can come out of this ruling ...... what do you think ?

[/QUOTE]

CAN being the operative word

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Got a crystal ball do ya? Hmmmm...I recall a certain someone on BDC who always had a problem with this. Of course this person is strangely silent NOW. 

Crystal ball indeed.  Just a few hours after the ruling, Texas is off and running:

Just hours after the Supreme Court handed down a ruling that guts parts of the Voting Rights Act, Texas is moving forward with a controversial voter ID law that state Attorney General Greg Abbott hopes to implement right away.

"With today's decision, the state's voter ID law will take effect immediately," Abbott said in a statement to the Dallas Morning News. "Redistricting maps passed by the Legislature may also take effect without approval from the federal government."

The Texas law requires voters to show photo identification to vote—a measure that was blocked by the Justice Department, arguing the law could discriminate against racial minorities. At the time, Attorney General Eric Holder called the law a "poll tax."

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/that-was-quick-texas-moves-forward-with-voter-id-law-after-supreme-court-ruling-20130625

Sections
Shortcuts