Seriously?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Seriously?

I think the uproar isn't that RS has him on the cover, but rather the picture they used for the cover.  I wouldn't suspect that a picture of him in handcuffs, or in a hospital bed recovering from injuries would provoke the same response.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppannos. Show ppannos's posts

Can (or WILL) he sing ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

what happened to innocent until proven guilty? wasn't that just the mantra in the zimmerman soap opera?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to MrCricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Nothing happened to it. That's why he's going to go through a trial provided he doesn't plead guilty in order to avoid the death penalty.

However, we are not a court. We are anonymous commentators on a political forum.....

And in my experience, defendants who are innocent do not allegedly throw bombs as they flee the scene, allegedly engage in shootouts with cops (killing one), nor do they allegedly run over and kill their brother.

[/QUOTE]

i agree. btw, he's already pleaded not guilty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

[QUOTE]

i agree. btw, he's already pleaded not guilty.

Have you heard of a "change of plea hearing" or "plea bargaining"?

[/QUOTE]

no, i haven't heard of one yet in this case.. he pleaded not guilty and that hasn't changed. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Rolling Stone stopped being relevant for me quite a while ago.  That hasn't changed, really.

People who are upset about it need to get over themselves first, and then - maybe - start worrying about what banal corporate magazines are doing to stay afloat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ms-obstinate99's comment:

The whole idea of putting him on the cover is in bad taste. I wouldn't want to be one of the victims that may have had a subsription and have that show up in my mailbox. 

Perhaps. (And I don't give one fig for RS or how it tries to sell magazines.)

Or maybe one would want to know absolutely everything about what might cause a person to do such a heinous thing...

...to, y'know, avoid or deter it again in the future.

There is no one correct way to grieve, is there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

ok, so don't buy the magazine lol. grab a tissue and get over yourself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

ok, so don't buy the magazine lol. grab a tissue and get over yourself.

My point exactly.

Anything else is probably just self-righteous indignation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster"

....yeah, not looking to garner some sympathy with that. 

The whole idea of putting him on the cover is in bad taste. I wouldn't want to be one of the victims that may have had a subsription and have that show up in my mailbox. 

But...he was apparently relatively popular and friends were shocked to learn of what he did. And he obviously became a monster. And it appears fell into radical islam.

I suppose we disagree. Seems like a fair restatement of the facts to me.

[/QUOTE]

Agree to disagree :-)

I get the angle you're coming from, no different than those victims of 9/11 that were subjected to the endless photos of the planes crashing into the towers. I get it. 

This just hits so close to home, and Rolling Stone knew the backlash they'd get and still proceded to send this out. Perhaps the least they could have done is chosed a different cover that was sent to the Massachusetts area. Other mags do this all the time, SI will send different college versions to different parts of the country. 

[/QUOTE]

MO,

I think that would have been the classy and humane thing for RS to do in this case.

Your absolutely correct. Other magazines send different covers all the time. Not just SI. 

I hate to think RS did this knowing there would be the backlash and therefore the extra publicity and actually wanted that. Maybe RS is feeling less relevant and saw this as a good way to get back in the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Let me add. RS will probably be trending on Twitter if it is not already.

No cover of a baby faced bombing defendant...no trending on Twitter as well as the boycotts.

When is the last time those things and RS were together?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

What's the sympathetic ear and how is RS supposedly trying to garner it?

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Clearly...

"How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster"

Are you fcuking kidding me? "failed" by his family? "fell" into radical Islam? You don't see how that's trying to garner sympathy? My god. 

I know...poor, poor Tsarnaev. It's not his fault. He just fell into it. He didn't get enough hugs as a child. Not his fault he maimed and killed multiple dozens of people. It's his mommies fault.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

Rolling Stone stands by controversial cover

The Rolling Stone cover featuring accused Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has sparked a massive upheaval. The case against the choice of photo stresses that it glorifies the accused terrorist and is insensitive to the victims of the bombings. Rolling Stone magazine, however, isn’t backing down. It just issued this statement:

Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. THE EDITORS

Not bad. The Erik Wemple Blog, however, would have gone further, stating the photo in question jibes with the impression of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev that has emerged from countless interviews with friends and schoolmates who have spent a great deal of time with him. Thus, it’s an accurate and journalistically responsible portrayal of this young man. Publishing it thus represents the fulfillment of Rolling Stone’s obligation to its readers, and is no affront to the victims of this terrible bombing.

BRAVO ROLLING STONE!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Clearly...

Are you fcuking kidding me? "failed" by his family? "fell" into radical Islam? You don't see how that's trying to garner sympathy? My god. 

I know...poor, poor Tsarnaev. It's not his fault. He just fell into it. He didn't get enough hugs as a child. Not his fault he maimed and killed multiple dozens of people. It's his mommies fault.  

46&2,

What other cards do they have to play?

Blame it on the dead older brother. Blame it on the mother. Have you seen the photos of her? They make her look like the Wicked Witch of the West.

He fell into a cult like phase.

Heh...only 3 people died. Only app. 280 people were injured. 

So give the teenager a second chance...NOT.

I cannot believe he survived all those rounds fired at him in Watertown. So maybe he was supposed to go on trial.

Like many I knew people who were injured. I even knew one of the dead through my niece's husband. So no, I am not impartial. But even if I did not know anybody directly, I believe I would still feel the same way.

I also feel sympathy for the jurors who will have to sit thru this trial assuming there is no plea bargain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

Clearly...

46&2,

Huh? What other cards do WHO have to play? What are you taking about?

Blame it on the dead older brother. Blame it on the mother. Have you seen the photos of her? They make her look like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Again....huh? No idea what you're talking about.

And again....huh? 

I cannot believe he survived all those rounds fired at him in Watertown. So maybe he was supposed to go on trial.

Like many I knew people who were injured. I even knew one of the dead through my niece's husband. So no, I am not impartial. But even if I did not know anybody directly, I believe I would still feel the same way.

I also feel sympathy for the jurors who will have to sit thru this trial assuming there is no plea bargain.

what does anything that you posted have to do with what I posted. Did you mean to reply to someone else???

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Clearly...

46&2,

And again....huh? 

what does anything that you posted have to do with what I posted. Did you mean to reply to someone else???

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

46&2,

Uh...you posted he was failed by his familily.

I in return posted ...his dead brother...his mother, including the truly unflattering photos that etc.

You posted he fell in with radical Islam.

I posted he fell into a cult.

You posted you don't see how that is not suppose to garner sympathy.

I posted what other cards does he have to play.

The rest of my post is mine. 

But my reply is clearly related to your post. So, no I did not intend to reply to another poster. Sorry you did not see it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't know...I am not as upset about this as it seems many people are. With respect to the victims and the people affected (one of my closest friends was there..between the two bombs..and doesn't remember stepping through blood and limbs..another distant cousin was probably the most affected by this of anyone).....I think it's important to try to understand how a seemingly normal teenager could turn into a terrorist and a monster.

It must be hard for his friends, etc. to reconcile the person that they knew with the monster that committed these acts. I know what that's like..as I am sure many others on this site do.

We..as a society...need to understand what happened here and that involved knowing everything we can about the situation. Most "monsters" have another side to them...I think that is all the Rolling Stone article is trying to get at. We need to understand what happened if we are going to be able to prevent it from happening again. 

I suppose my view is the sociologist in me...but I think the more you know about any situation the better.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Clearly...

46&2,

And again....huh? 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

46&2,

I in return posted ...his dead brother...his mother, including the truly unflattering photos that etc.

But my reply is clearly related to your post. So, no I did not intend to reply to another poster. Sorry you did not see it.

[/QUOTE]

what cult did he fall into?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't know...I am not as upset about this as it seems many people are. With respect to the victims and the people affected (one of my closest friends was there..between the two bombs..and doesn't remember stepping through blood and limbs..another distant cousin was probably the most affected by this of anyone).....I think it's important to try to understand how a seemingly normal teenager could turn into a terrorist and a monster.

It must be hard for his friends, etc. to reconcile the person that they knew with the monster that committed these acts. I know what that's like..as I am sure many others on this site do.

We..as a society...need to understand what happened here and that involved knowing everything we can about the situation. Most "monsters" have another side to them...I think that is all the Rolling Stone article is trying to get at. We need to understand what happened if we are going to be able to prevent it from happening again. 

I suppose my view is the sociologist in me...but I think the more you know about any situation the better.

I agree that it is better to know more about a situation, but IMO I think there is a better way this could have been handled. I don't think posting the picture of the p.o.s. on a magazine cover that may end up in the mailbox of one of his victims is appropriate in any way, shape or form.

I'm not fool enough to believe Rolling Stone did this for any other reason, except publicity and chatter. Sadly they got both, at the expense of a city still in healing.

[/QUOTE]

I definitely see what you are saying. I probably would not have splashed his picture over the entire cover either. On the other hand..it's been splashed over the media ( newspapers, televisions, etc) that it seems we should be numb to the image by now..but perhaps not.

I was actually going to pick up a copy to read the article but someone on Twitter whose opinion I hold in very high regard read it and said while it was well written and informative...the slant is definitely sympathetic towards #2..and that is a little tough to stomach.

In any event..I am sure Rolling Stone got exactly what they wanted. Everyone is talking about them..even Brian Williams. Funny..up until this story..I thought they had gone out of print..lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree that it is better to know more about a situation, but IMO I think there is a better way this could have been handled. I don't think posting the picture of the p.o.s. on a magazine cover that may end up in the mailbox of one of his victims is appropriate in any way, shape or form.

I'm not fool enough to believe Rolling Stone did this for any other reason, except publicity and chatter. Sadly they got both, at the expense of a city still in healing.

[/QUOTE]

MO,

I agree with you.

As I posted earlier, though I did not want to believe it, it is what I belive was the motive behind what RS has done.

They got their publicity and chatter, but at what cost?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Clearly...

46&2,

And again....huh? 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

46&2,

[/QUOTE]

No I didn't. Read it again. Never mind let me help you....Rolling Stone magazine stated he was failed by his family and that he fell into radical Islam. Hence the quotations and italics around that quote. Did you not see the OP? The quote is ON the magazine cover.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Of course WDYWN gets half the picture because he has me on ignore (and yet still comments about me...ok for HIM to comment on me but not vice versa...there's a word for that...but I digress...) and because so is wrong in his assessment.