Shameful Student loan Standoff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Shameful Student loan Standoff

In a bipartisan act of calculated inaction and willful indifference, the Democrats and Republicans who run Congress passively allowed a key student loan interest rate for low- and middle income students to double.

This would require low- and moderate income students to pay 6.8 percent interest rates at a time when folks with excellent jobs and excellent credit are getting mortgages for, say, 3.9 percent and buying a new car with a zero percent loan. 

Also at a time when tuition costs are soaring and families are scrimping so their children will be able to go to college.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Shameful Student loan Standoff

Lets not pretend that both parties share blame. the democrats in the house and senate had legislation written to extend the low rates, but the GOP wouldn't vote on it.

College education interferes with the 'fixed beliefs' of young people, so don't expect the GOP to promote higher education in any way.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

America is the center of capitalism where profits are more important than people. if you don't like it then move to another country. being against profit over people is un-american.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

$#^&%$# the college students.

Why should I be forced to subsidize four years of keg parties and finding yourself?  That's the parent's job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Why should I be forced to subsidize four years of keg parties and finding yourself?  That's the parent's job.

skeeter,

Your "subsidy" was just cut in half. Hooray for Congress.

All those STEM degreed people we need to compete in the global market...heh...a lot of them will not get those degrees.

Low-and moderate income families can only stretch so far. We are both old enough to know that.

Have you looked at the cost ot tuition at public universities much less private colleges and universites in 2013?

A lot of parents are struggling just to keep a roof over the head of their families, etc.  Their retirement funds, if they had any are gone, etc.

Let us get real. This is not just about the need of the students. It is about the future of the United States.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Lets not pretend that both parties share blame. the democrats in the house and senate had legislation written to extend the low rates, but the GOP wouldn't vote on it.

College education interferes with the 'fixed beliefs' of young people, so don't expect the GOP to promote higher education in any way.  

UserName99,

I realize that. 

I made my post more open ended to invite discussion on this isssue and hopefully avoid yet another GOP obstuctionist themed battle.

Like the old riddle about which is stonger...the wind or the sun? The sun of course to cut to the chase.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

skeeter,

Btw, not all of us spent years attending kegs parties and finding ourselves. 

Just saying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

Your "subsidy" was just cut in half. Hooray for Congress.

All those STEM degreed people we need to compete in the global market...heh...a lot of them will not get those degrees.

Low-and moderate income families can only stretch so far. We are both old enough to know that.

Have you looked at the cost ot tuition at public universities much less private colleges and universites in 2013?

A lot of parents are struggling just to keep a roof over the head of their families, etc.  Their retirement funds, if they had any are gone, etc.

Let us get real. This is not just about the need of the students. It is about the future of the United States.

[/QUOTE]

I see thatthe future of the United States is a society of McDonald's workers with college degrees, paying off their loans just in time for retirement.

The student loan program, like much of what government does, has distorted a key market.  in this case, the education market.  It has enriched colleges and universities at the expense of our country's future.

So, If oyu can't pay for college, or your parents can't pay for it, don't go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

UserName99,

I realize that. 

I made my post more open ended to invite discussion on this isssue and hopefully avoid yet another GOP obstuctionist themed battle.

Like the old riddle about which is stonger...the wind or the sun? The sun of course to cut to the chase.

[/QUOTE]

GOP obstructionist?  Is that your even-handed approach to politics? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

UserName99,

I realize that. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bigdog2,

Please read my first post again. I wanted this discussion to center on this student loan rate doubling.

I am tired of the finger pointing. And sure as heck, the students who we are playing with their lives are even more tired. The real victims here are the affected students, their families and us in the end who are always affected when talented young students cannot stretch far enough and get those degrees are country needs.

A college education now is what a high school education used to be. And a STEM degree does not come by wishing for it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

UserName99,

I realize that. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bigdog2,

Please read my first post again. I wanted this discussion to center on this student loan rate doubling.

I am tired of the finger pointing. And sure as heck, the students who we are playing with their lives are even more tired. The real victims here are the affected students, their families and us in the end who are always affected when talented young students cannot stretch far enough and get those degrees are country needs.

A college education now is what a high school education used to be. And a STEM degree does not come by wishing for it.

[/QUOTE]

You are tired of the finger pointing?  Then why do you point a finger at the "GOP obstructionists"?

A college education os not what a high school education used to be. that is givinig college too much credit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I still stand by my position that the student loan rate discussion is a smokescreen. It is simply not the right conversation to be having. The conversation that should be happening is "why have college costs risen at a rate far...far...far beyond inflation"?  No one seems to want to have this conversation except for the economic experts.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In a bipartisan act of calculated inaction and willful indifference, the Democrats and Republicans who run Congress passively allowed a key student loan interest rate for low- and middle income students to double.

This would require low- and moderate income students to pay 6.8 percent interest rates at a time when folks with excellent jobs and excellent credit are getting mortgages for, say, 3.9 percent and buying a new car with a zero percent loan. 

Also at a time when tuition costs are soaring and families are scrimping so their children will be able to go to college.

You complain about the pimple on an elephant's a55.

The real problem is the cost of tuition, fees and other charges, not the % on the loan you have to take to pay for it

But education is the refuge of liberals that can't do anything so they teach instead. The government money thrown at it only gives them the excuse to ignore their business, raise tuitions and fees to suit their fancy, vote Democrat, support the librul agenda and complain that is it the fault of mean conservatives.

And the problem goes on as the focus is on the interest rate for the loan, not the reason they need the loan in the first place.

Well, maybe for Democrats and libruls, the high cost of tuition isn't really a problem, it's a political slush fund - government money going to the Democrat Party, laundered by big education.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I still stand by my position that the student loan rate discussion is a smokescreen. It is simply not the right conversation to be having. The conversation that should be happening is "why have college costs risen at a rate far...far...far beyond inflation"?  No one seems to want to have this conversation except for the economic experts.

miscricket,

Have no problem having that discussion.

In the meantiime, what are we going to do right now about lower-and moderate income families who were already stretching as far as they could?

Us older folk already have our degrees. Plenty of us are supporting elderly parents as well as contributing to our children's college eduation. Not to mention trying to establish a retirement fund.

And in the bigger picture, Where are the STEM degreed graduates going to come from if we keep making it harder and harder then impossible? 

This is a loan we are talking about.  Not free money. Not a grant. 

Just because a student is born into a lower income family does not mean they are not very bright. But even UMASS costs a lot of money...never mind the private colleges and universities.

And just because a student is born into a wealthier family does not mean they are all that bright or will apply themselves. Is that who we want for our future graduates? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

[QUOTE]

Simple ! More money from sudents loans. More Student loans because of rates.

It just  a money a market like Wall Street.

as mentioned in another post . O% on Auto loans ! B.S. they just up the price.

all the same.

Hospitals firing older empolyees and using lower paid assistants .

[/QUOTE]

chiefhowie, 

Not happening in the STEM areas. SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY/ENGINEERING/MATHEMATICS.

We are woefully behind other countries in these crucial fields. 

Want to compete in a global economy without graduates in these fields? Lots of luck to the United States.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

You complain about the pimple on an elephant's a55.

The real problem is the cost of tuition, fees and other charges, not the % on the loan you have to take to pay for it

But education is the refuge of liberals that can't do anything so they teach instead. The government money thrown at it only gives them the excuse to ignore their business, raise tuitions and fees to suit their fancy, vote Democrat, support the librul agenda and complain that is it the fault of mean conservatives.

And the problem goes on as the focus is on the interest rate for the loan, not the reason they need the loan in the first place.

Well, maybe for Democrats and libruls, the high cost of tuition isn't really a problem, it's a political slush fund - government money going to the Democrat Party, laundered by big education.

Hansoribrother,

In other words, "Those who cannot do, teach".

Well, who is going to teach in the STEM areas? A liberal arts major?

Those STEM teachers take a salary hit to teach versus working in the private sector. 

Two different discussions. Why has tuition, etc., sky-rocketed and what can we do about it?

Second, what can we do right know it terms of helping finance the cost of higher education?

Some think that Wall Street, who is doing quite fine, is one place to go to look for funds...some sort of tax on sales for example. 

Now of course a certain amount of posters will jump on me for bringing up that idea. Not a new idea...just maybe time we discussed it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

The GOP House passed the Smarter Student Solutions Act using president Obama's budget formula.  Its the senate sitting with their thumbs in the wrong places.  The DEM senate.

Market based variable rate loans.  That worked out so well in housing. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Here's the nub of the conversation, in economic terms.  

Goverment makes money available, which causes colleges to raise their rates.  

As far as college beingthe new high school, I think it has slid back the other way.  If you are not wealthy, or going after a specific occupation (Dr., Lawyer), skip college.  It will do yo no good inthe new economy.  Better to work.