Should Boston Public Schools have longer days?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppannos. Show ppannos's posts

Re: Should Boston Public Schools have longer days?

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to ppannos' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ppannos' comment:

[QUOTE]

1. Does anyone really believe it will improve the dismal performance of Boston students

2. What will it cost?

Do you really think it is not worth trying?

If it were your children in the Boston public school system, what would you want?

What will it cost if nothing is done? Think back to your school days. Do they resemble the Boston public school system experience?

I know mine do not. And I thank my lucky stars they do not. I have no idea who I would be if I had had to survive K-12 in that. Maybe I would have be fortuate enough to attend a charter school or Boston Rindge and Latin but, not spaces for everyone in those schools.

[/QUOTE]

I reasonably asked 2 questions.

We can't continue to chase political  Pegasus ideas without facts, budgets and goals.

What metrics will be applied BEFORE we whack the taxpayers again aka Stimulus, renewable energy, etc

I attended BPS in days when they produced good students.. not argueably the case today.

Following that thought.. WHY the poor quality of education?

I think we share the common goal of improving education but owe it to ourselves and the children to KNOW where the system failed them... or is this possibly a move from the corrupt teachers unions to grab cash.   

[/QUOTE]

You seem to be assuming the unions would be in favor of longer school days.

I think that is a rather large assumption.

Many teachers prefer the current hours. It works much better in having a job and a family. 

Also, there could be a push to get longer hours without more compensaton. Or very little extra compensation. 

One thing is for sure. The more we play around with this, the more students get passed through with terrible educations.

[/QUOTE]

Now we need the unions permission..

Will a longer day with poor teacgers improve anything ?

I'm not against the idea but my questions stand unanswered

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

Now we need the unions permission..

---------------------------

Unless its a charter, you betcha.

Seems I got banned.  Imagine!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

Interesting. As a former senior custodian in a school system I can say it's problematic. We had two months in the summer to clean our buildings from top to bottom. Nobody really considers that fact. They think it's easy to do. It's not.

What does the idea of longer school days for improved education have to do with custodial work? Whether custodial work is "hard" or not has nothing to do with the educating of kids. The OP is suggesting longer days....not longer school year. Point being they'd still have the two months to do all that "hard" work.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

Those of us who can, send our children to parochial or private schools for the most part.

---------------------

Or Charters, which are of course public.  Its just the unions who hate them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting. As a former senior custodian in a school system I can say it's problematic. We had two months in the summer to clean our buildings from top to bottom. Nobody really considers that fact. They think it's easy to do. It's not.

What does the idea of longer school days for improved education have to do with custodial work? Whether custodial work is "hard" or not has nothing to do with the educating of kids. The OP is suggesting longer days....not longer school year. Point being they'd still have the two months to do all that "hard" work.

[/QUOTE]

I covered this earlier in this thread.

"Extending the school year either by longer days, or by longer school years, would mean higher costs in the maintenance, personel, heating and electricity to the tax payer."

Longer days might seem like a good idea, but you also have to consider what else it entails.

BTW, "hard"?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]
    WDYWN,

Children are far from stupid.

I dunno. I recall a whole lot of stupidity surrounding and sometimes issuing from myself when growing up.....

I think a longer school day could be a good thing, but a longer school year far more important. The first few months of each school year were spent reminding everyone what they learned about at the end of the last year, and promptly forgot about over summer vacation.

[/QUOTE]

..and virtually all educational experts will agree with you!  If you look at the top educational systems in the world..they all go year round and longer days. Our school year is based on agrarian society  that simply no longer exists.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

[QUOTE]

Alabama public schools will be under a new state-created academic accountability system that sets different goals for students in math and reading based on their race, economic status, ability to speak English and disabilities.” Alabama’s Plan 2020 “sets a different standard for students in each of several subgroups — American Indian, Asian/Pacific islander, black, English language learners, Hispanic, multirace, poverty, special education and white.”

chiefhowie,

Interesting.

Does this 2020 plan set lower standards for these subgroups?

[/QUOTE]

According to the source  it does . "To accell those students". 

I think it's  to save money.

[/QUOTE]

chiefhowie,

Do you think it does a disservice to these "subgroups"? I think it does.

[/QUOTE]

You both should probably read the policy before speculating. It will..in all likelihood cost more money than their old system. Nowhere in the policy does it state that it sets lower standards for minority and other groups. In fact there it includes a plan to bring all "groups" to the same 100 percent proficiency.

Their new 2020 education plan has been approved by the DOE. Alabama should be applauded for addressing known weaknesses and putting a plan in place for improvement for all students.