Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?

Seems like we can't have it both ways.  Everytime it looks like the economy might be picking up steam, here comes the petrol industry and prices spike, putting the boot heel on the economy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from altonjones. Show altonjones's posts

Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?

In Response to Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?:
    [QUOTE]Seems like we can't have it both ways.  Everytime it looks like the economy might be picking up steam, here comes the petrol industry and prices spike, putting the boot heel on the economy.
    Posted by Firewind[/QUOTE]

Sad that you think we can't control both, and please stop kidding yourself, the economy hasn't had any steam for a while.

Regardless of what the media tells you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?

In Response to Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?:
    [QUOTE]Seems like we can't have it both ways.  Everytime it looks like the economy might be picking up steam, here comes the petrol industry and prices spike, putting the boot heel on the economy.

Well, we can't have it both ways if we insist on managing this economy like western europe.

We had both for years in the past, then the liberals and progressives started demanding more regulations and no drilling.  I don't know where your head is at, but I think that's the problem right there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I gave up wishing for anything good to come from things that are controlled by three major groups: politicians. Corporate America and Religious groups.

The first group only knows how to talk too much and grab as money as they can get their grubby hands on, the second only knows how to grab as much money as they can get their grubby hands on and make products that don't last as long as they could, the 3rd  only knows how to tell you that what the other two groups do is wrong , but their only answer is to pray alot and scream and shout to the media about policies that they don't like.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : Well, we can't have it both ways if we insist on managing this economy lie western europe. We had both for years in the past, then the liberals and progressives started demanding more regulations and no drilling.  I don't know where your head is at, but I think that's the problem right there.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Don't you ever tire of being wrong?

We're drilling more oil at home than we have in 30 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from altonjones. Show altonjones's posts

If it has to go one way or another, it's pretty simple:

An improving economy helps the hurt at the pumps, I think if I have have more of my own money, the gas prices are do-able.

The other way around is short sighted as far as I'm concerned, because lower gas prices rarely last anyways.

BTW, I paid $3.50 this morning in Plymouth, the last time it was that high was in 2008, before Obama was elected.

Since then, I've have only gotten (1) 2% pay-raise, the other years was zero.

My health insurance premiums have risen 106% in three years, plus I now have a deductable, and higher co-pays.

The cost of pretty much everything has risen due to higher than normal inflation, driven by high fuel costs.

The cost of heating oil was $1.83 per gallon on February 9, 2011 when Obama took over, I now pay $3.46 per gal.

I've had to drop my 401k contribution to cover my drop in take home pay, which aslo means that I'll retire that much later in my life.

Soooooooooo, my point is, i'm looking for a better economy like everyone else.

And this is a dumb thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : Don't you ever tire of being wrong? We're drilling more oil at home than we have in 30 years.
    Posted by UserName99[/QUOTE]

It would be hard to tire of being wrong, as first, I would have to be wrong.

What I tire of is the sophomoric worldview, and I am being kind  calling it sophomoric, worldview of the left being  crammed down our throat even though it never works.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Gasoline is far too cheap for the amount of damage it causes and the number of resources it befouls.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I would double the gas tax in a second.

Don't like it?  Don't drive so much.  And if you must drive, then don't waste gas doing so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : It would be hard to tire of being wrong, as first, I would have to be wrong. Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

So then, you must know that the price of gas has absolutely nothing to do with how much oil the U.S. drills for, right...??

Or that Germany is swimming in cash and has BOTH the autobahn AND a policy to eliminate nuclear power...as well as high gas taxes.

Otherwise, you'd be wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

WAKE UP TO REALITY!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]If wishing had any affect, I'd wish for a good economy with low gas prices. The problem is that there is not enough CHEAP oil. There is plenty of oil, it's just that the cheap stuff is declining in production. Look how lousy the economy is relatively speaking and how expensive gas is. As soon as things get better, demand will go up and the price of oil and gas will go up. That is like a tax that kills the economy. We went through that last threat of a double dip because of oil. Remember Libya and the Arab Spring? Then in 2008, remember when oil went up to $150. Check that versus GDP and the unemployment rate.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree.

Which makes it all the more important to wean the overall economy away from the volatility of the oil markets.

It won't happen right away, or even soon, but virtually every step away from oil consumption on our part is a positive step toward increased fiscal security.

This will mean some tough choices...but interventions are like that.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : So far the funding for "green" tech looks more like a slush fund for Obama supporters than a real solid effort to produce results. That aside, I do think it is important for the government to get involved in some way, but I do not trust our political class - either side - to do it right. Here is something interesting - a home fusion reactor: http://ecat.com/ecat-products/ecat-home I have no idea if government money was involved, but this is the type of thing that could be a candidate. Fusion is the future, wind and solar have limited application as far as I am concerned as the sun doesn't shine all the time everywhere and same for the wind.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

I can understand why it may look that way to some, and there's no doubt that we're on the hook for watching our pennies, so fair enough...

...but the reality and scale of our energy challenges are much, much larger than that...several degrees larger than solyndra on its worst day.

I'm for throwing every efficiency standard and every sustainable energy supply and delivery model up for grabs by anyone willing to take them and run.  True, not every solution will work everywhere, but then it's even more critical to find what works best and implement it.

And we haven't even got to the cultural aspect of it yet....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]Gasoline is far too cheap for the amount of damage it causes and the number of resources it befouls. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I would double the gas tax in a second. Don't like it?  Don't drive so much.  And if you must drive, then don't waste gas doing so.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Why do you want to hurt the poor and middle class which is the only ones this would really hurt!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : I can understand why it may look that way to some, and there's no doubt that we're on the hook for watching our pennies, so fair enough... ...but the reality and scale of our energy challenges are much, much larger than that...several degrees larger than solyndra on its worst day. I'm for throwing every efficiency standard and every sustainable energy supply and delivery model up for grabs by anyone willing to take them and run.  True, not every solution will work everywhere, but then it's even more critical to find what works best and implement it. And we haven't even got to the cultural aspect of it yet....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

You need to understand that we MUST DO BOTH!!!
    High energy prices NOW are stifling our economy. Our govt should be allowing more production is oil and refining capacity while at the same time looking for alternatives!!

To limit oil production and refining capacity only slows the financial process for discovering alternatives by slowing economic activities, govt receipts and the money companies can use towards creating more fuel efficient processes!!

DO NOT PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : Why do you want to hurt the poor and middle class which is the only ones this would really hurt!!
    Posted by sk8ter2008[/QUOTE]

Not really.  The poor tend to own fewer cars, drive less, and use more public transportation.

That said, a gas tax is a fairly broad one, affecting all walks of drivers and consumers (pun not intended).  The added revenue could pay down the deficit in short order.

An artificially-low gas tax is an effective price control on a destructive, environmentally-unfriendly consumable that hinders sustainable energy innovation and warps our foreign policy interests.  It wastes our time, pollutes the air and water, and adds too much innate cost to the value of goods and services.

We have plenty of years of using oil ahead, but that's no excuse to not plan for the future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Brother reports regular's up > $.50 in the last week to $4.25+ in California.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : Don't you ever tire of being wrong? We're drilling more oil at home than we have in 30 years.
    Posted by UserName99[/QUOTE]

Never tire of being right.

More on-shore wells are being drilled.  Simply a factor of supply and demand.  The demand (therefore price) is up, so previously approved wells that were not profitable are being put into action.  There are some new areas coming on line, but more slowly.

Where we are lacking is in opening up new areas, ANWAR, for example, and have nearly stopped new wells off shore almost entirely.  I think there were 6 approved permits last year, and about 40 well projects that were shut down after the big spill, but are probably back on line.

So, not wrong.  you are just lacking the detail, so you make bad assumptions.

This oil, BTW, is going off-shore to China.  Why?  Because our economy has been shrinking over the past few years, which means less demand here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

[QUOTE]Brother reports regular's up /> $.50 in the last week to $4.25+ in California.

Brother reports premium now over $5.00 in California.

The second dip of the recession has just begun.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from altonjones. Show altonjones's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should I wish for an awful economy and good gas prices, or a good economy and awful gas prices? : Brother reports premium now over $5.00 in California. The second dip of the recession has just begun.

Noooooooo, the economy is going great-gang-busters!

Dontcha' read the news?

Nothing to see here, move along, the President has nothing to do with gas pricies, not his fault.

Sections
Shortcuts