Should voting be mandatory ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Should voting be mandatory ?

I would have to say yes .... my main reason for saying yes is .... I think it would help develop more centrist policies for the country .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Should voting be mandatory ?

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

I would have to say yes .... my main reason for saying yes is .... I think it would help develop more centrist policies for the country .

You referring to the public voting people into office or senators/congressmen voting on bills?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

You referring to the public voting people into office or senators/congressmen voting on bills?

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry ...... I meant voting people into office ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then I would have to say no. There are way too many people who aren't informed enough on the issues or the people they'd be voting on. With voting comes responsibility. Some can't handle that responsibility and I would rather they be able to not vote if that's what they choose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then I would have to say no. There are way too many people who aren't informed enough on the issues or the people they'd be voting on. With voting comes responsibility. Some can't handle that responsibility and I would rather they be able to not vote if that's what they choose.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that there is too many people who aren't informed enough about the issues .... now is that from laziness or just not caring .... I say both .... so now what can be done to include those people in the process ..... I would say that reinstating the Fairness Doctrine and public financing of campaigns at all levels , state, local and federal elections

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Man, this is my fault, isn't it?  Laughing    Are you upset at the thought that there are people who don't want to vote for their own personal reasons?   

Why vote when you are not inspired by either candidate?    Many people don't even *register* to vote.   So you'd have to make registration mandatory first.    Registration is not mandatory as it stands.  

So, no.  Voting should not be made mandatory, nor should registration.   Can't even imagine such a thing.   

ETA: Creating a centrist environment is up to the candidates.  I'm not far left or far right by any means, and voting would not help develop a centrist environment if the candidates are always so polarized to begin with.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that there is too many people who aren't informed enough about the issues .... now is that from laziness or just not caring .... I say both .... so now what can be done to include those people in the process ..... I would say that reinstating the Fairness Doctrine and public financing of campaigns at all levels , state, local and federal elections

[/QUOTE]

I agree it's laziness and/or not caring. Frankly, if someone doesn't care enough to understand the issues or the candidates then I don't think there's anything that can be done to "include" them that already isn't happening. Between internet, tv, and newspapers, there isn't an excuse for people to not be informed. Those not informed are choosing to not be informed. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

Man, this is my fault, isn't it?  Laughing    Are you upset at the thought that there are people who don't want to vote for their own personal reasons?   

Why vote when you are not inspired by either candidate?    Many people don't even *register* to vote.   So you'd have to make registration mandatory first.    Registration is not mandatory as it stands.  

So, no.  Voting should not be made mandatory, nor should registration.   Can't even imagine such a thing.   

[/QUOTE]

Yes it is ...... see how you made a difference is somebody else's life ... you inspired me to get off my @$$ and get involved .....

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree it's laziness and/or not caring. Frankly, if someone doesn't care enough to understand the issues or the candidates then I don't think there's anything that can be done to "include" them that already isn't happening. Between internet, tv, and newspapers, there isn't an excuse for people to not be informed. Those not informed are choosing to not be informed. 

[/QUOTE]

It will never happen but ...... how about a small fine to help motivate

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes it is ...... see how you made a difference is somebody else's life ... you inspired me to get off my @$$ and get involved .....

[/QUOTE]

Well, then thanks for letting me know.   I'm pleased if I've inspired you (in a positive way).

I feel the need to say that I can't remember the last time that I didn't vote in an election; this might be my first time, in fact.  I usually do vote; I love to vote.   It feels great and makes me proud, for the mostpart.    So, please don't rush to judgement about me, just because of this one election.    Okay?  

But I also follow my gut and currently, my gut just can't get me to vote in this particular election.   I don't feel that's my fault.    I voted in the Brown / Coakley election, which is more than I can say for all the sleepers who didn't bother, and then, cried for 3 years afterwards.  

Golf.   Yoga.   Whatever brings you the integration of body, mind and spirit.   Nice.   Certainly, politics can't do that. 

PS My Dad served in the Army and was not born in the United States; he became a citizen after serving in the military.  Because of his fluency in his native language, he did translation for his command.   Voted in every election and was a great role model.    A Democrat, but still disgusted most of the time.  :)    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

GreginMeffa ..... getting all people to get involved is a "pipe dream" on my part but sometimes I get so disappointed that people just don't care about what is going on around them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, then thanks for letting me know.   I'm pleased if I've inspired you (in a positive way).

I feel the need to say that I can't remember the last time that I didn't vote in an election; this might be my first time, in fact.  I usually do vote; I love to vote.   It feels great and makes me proud, for the mostpart.    So, please don't rush to judgement about me, just because of this one election.    Okay?  

But I also follow my gut and currently, my gut just can't get me to vote in this particular election.   I don't feel that's my fault.    I voted in the Brown / Coakley election, which is more than I can say for all the sleepers who didn't bother, and then, cried for 3 years afterwards.  

Golf.   Yoga.   Whatever brings you the integration of body, mind and spirit.   Nice.   Certainly, politics can't do that. 

PS My Dad served in the Army and was not born in the United States; he became a citizen after serving in the military.  Because of his fluency in his native language, he did translation for his command.   Voted in every election and was a great role model.    A Democrat, but still disgusted most of the time.  :)    

[/QUOTE]

I hope I didn't insult you .... that wasn't my intentions and please accept my apology if my comments put you on the spot .......... I always vote and I will this time but with a clothes pin on my nose ......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I hope I didn't insult you .... that wasn't my intentions and please accept my apology if my comments put you on the spot .......... I always vote and I will this time but with a clothes pin on my nose ......

No worries.  I'm not insulted in the least, and am glad to discuss this, quite honestly.   

I felt the need to fill you in because I didn't say "I don't vote" (in general), what I said was that I wasn't planning to vote this one time, without giving you a more full background description of my voting record.   

For all I know, I'll feel awful if I don't vote.   OR, next week, I'll drag myself into the booth and vote because I'll feel like a slacker sitting out the election.   I don't know (yet).  

I volunteered the information that I wasn't planning to vote, and I don't regret it if it makes me think twice following this thread -- and if it sparks some thoughts in you, Sis, or anyone else.    And yes, I know lots of people who will hold their noses next week in the voting process, and for all I know, I'll be one of them.   Just wish I could "feel it" -- a cruel mixture of elements has made that "mission impossible", if you know what I mean.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

its bad enough with the people who vote now...uninformed voters are killing this country...but hats off to the dems, their grasp on power gets stronger by the minute and for all the wrong reasons....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Yeah, it all the "uninformed" voters ruining things for the good patriots.  So much of the information available during elections about the candidates, their positions, etc are fabricated lies, propaganda, and spin.  People can't make heads or tails of candidates because during campaign season they are attacked by a barrage of dishonest ads, attack ads, walk backs, and distortions.  People would be more informed if the process wasn't set up to incentivise lying and misinformation. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

It would be a nightmare for the informed. Campaigns would be dumbing down their ads and TV spots going after this large demographic. It would change the way campaigns strategize, figuring out that they could win by grabbing this demographic. Keep the uninformed away; nothing good can come out of it.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Yeah, it all the "uninformed" voters ruining things for the good patriots.  So much of the information available during elections about the candidates, their positions, etc are fabricated lies, propaganda, and spin.  People can't make heads or tails of candidates because during campaign season they are attacked by a barrage of dishonest ads, attack ads, walk backs, and distortions.  People would be more informed if the process wasn't set up to incentivise lying and misinformation. 

Which speaks to my point about people not being informed. Anyone who believes political ads should have no business being able to vote. There isn't one ad that isn't full of spin. 

People can go on the candidates websites to see what their stances are on issues and compare that to what they say in debates. They can look at a candidates voting record to see how they'll most likely vote in the future. It isn't rocket science. It's fairly easy to find out what you need to know about a candidate...but that requires a person to not be lazy. Tall order in this country.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

It would be a nightmare for the informed. Campaigns would be dumbing down their ads and TV spots going after this large demographic. It would change the way campaigns strategize, figuring out that they could win by grabbing this demographic. Keep the uninformed away; nothing good can come out of it.   

Especially with how dumb downed the campaigns have become, I'm not sure I could stomach any more superficial bs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

"Newman" ! ....... what is your definition of "the informed" ....... btw there are alot of informed voters who have voted and what good has become of it .....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

"Newman" ! ....... what is your definition of "the informed" ....... btw there are alot of informed voters who have voted and what good has become of it .....

[/QUOTE]

Obviously they weren't "informed" : )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]

Which speaks to my point about people not being informed. Anyone who believes political ads should have no business being able to vote. There isn't one ad that isn't full of spin. 

People can go on the candidates websites to see what their stances are on issues and compare that to what they say in debates. They can look at a candidates voting record to see how they'll most likely vote in the future. It isn't rocket science. It's fairly easy to find out what you need to know about a candidate...but that requires a person to not be lazy. Tall order in this country.

[/QUOTE]

Which raises a different issue altogether, if political ads, mailers, and third party groups serve no purpose, other than to confuse and obsfucate reality, then why do allow them.  In fact, why did we make it easier for these groups and tactics to exist.  TV should be the egalitarian distribution method for political information, and the fact that it is used in the manner that it is, is problematic.  It is, in my opinion, one of the biggest flaws in the system and it is one that is easily fixable, but yet it persists. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which raises a different issue altogether, if political ads, mailers, and third party groups serve no purpose, other than to confuse and obsfucate reality, then why do allow them.  In fact, why did we make it easier for these groups and tactics to exist.  TV should be the egalitarian distribution method for political information, and the fact that it is used in the manner that it is, is problematic.  It is, in my opinion, one of the biggest flaws in the system and it is one that is easily fixable, but yet it persists. 

[/QUOTE]

You're asking the wrong person. If I had my way there would be no political ads. Let them debate the issues and make them actually answer the damn questions. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

GreginMeffa ..... getting all people to get involved is a "pipe dream" on my part but sometimes I get so disappointed that people just don't care about what is going on around them.

Again, though, I think the trouble is that even if they could be forced to vote, they can't be forced to care who they vote for.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed ........ I would like to believe though that if it was affordable for an "ham and egger" to run for an elected office that those citizens who wouldn't care might turn around and start voting those " ham and egger " candidates in who they might identify with .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're asking the wrong person. If I had my way there would be no political ads. Let them debate the issues and make them actually answer the damn questions. 

[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh ....... debate the issues and make them actually answer the damn questions ..... now we're cooking .......... but where would be my next question .......