Should we just let the Sequestration cuts take place?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Should we just let the Sequestration cuts take place?

In response to skeeter20's comment:

And, how do you put 3% of the people back to work?

Businesses won't hire because there is a lack of demand. But there is a lack of demand because people can't find work. Sounds like a real Catch-22, doesn't it?

Well, it doesn't have to be. There is one part of our society that can put people back to work and rejuvenate the process of strong economic recovery when no one else can. That would be the federal government, of course, whose role should be to set the economy soundly on the right path during times of stagnation, recession, and depression.

The federal government needs to implement a $250 to $300 billion stimulus program devoted to putting people back to work, repairing the crumbling US infrastructure. That is an investment that would pay back over and over again.

It's not difficult to understand this. It's not rocket science. It is just common sense, except for those who are hopelessly stupid or those who deny reality because of political bias. I think you know who I am referring to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Businesses won't hire because there is a lack of demand. But there is a lack of demand because people can't find work. Sounds like a real Catch-22, doesn't it?

Well, it doesn't have to be. There is one part of our society that can put people back to work and rejuvenate the process of strong economic recovery when no one else can. That would be the federal government, of course, whose role should be to set the economy soundly on the right path during times of stagnation, recession, and depression.

The federal government needs to implement a $250 to $300 billion stimulus program devoted to putting people back to work, repairing the crumbling US infrastructure. That is an investment that would pay back over and over again.

It's not difficult to understand this. It's not rocket science. It is just common sense, except for those who are hopelessly stupid or those who deny reality because of political bias. I think you know who I am referring to.

It is apparently difficult to understand that government stimulus never works.  We have had a trillion plus in what is essentailly government stimulus for the past five years, and the needle hasn't budged.

You want to get 3 million back to work within the current ground rules?  lower taxes.  it is the only thing that will work from an economic persepctive.  BTW, I don't think that is necessarly the best solution, but our hands are tied, primarily becasue government spending has sucked the oxygen out of the private sector, creating  a false economy based on increased taxation and borrowing, so, there is really only one place to go if government spending isn't reduced.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Instead of using a scalpel, the cuts will be done with a rusty hacksaw and cauterized with a zippo lighter.

How ironic that people who supposedly want (demand!) the govt to create jobs are endorsing a slash-and-burn policy that will only put more people - public AND private sector - out of work....

If handled that way then a pox on all of their houses and chambers.

Reid and Bboehner are supposedly discussing a quick bill to allow administrative flexibility on the implementation of cuts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Instead of using a scalpel, the cuts will be done with a rusty hacksaw and cauterized with a zippo lighter.

How ironic that people who supposedly want (demand!) the govt to create jobs are endorsing a slash-and-burn policy that will only put more people - public AND private sector - out of work....

Reid and Bboehner are supposedly discussing a quick bill to allow administrative flexibility on the implementation of cuts.

There are right ways to do things and wrong ways, and this is the wrong way.

That said, I do think the sequester cuts should take effect...just for people to see what the results will be.

Some won't notice; others will.  They should remember what they see.

As they say, you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Just once, I'd like to see the state not pay to plow after a snow storm...just to remind people what it looks like when cuts to basic public services occur.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

That said, I do think the sequester cuts should take effect...just for people to see what the results will be.

Just once, I'd like to see the state not pay to plow after a snow storm...just to remind people what it looks like when cuts to basic public services occur.

I agree, we need to sort out the wants from the needs, with an eye on how does it get paid.  Our desire for programs has not kept up with revenues.  

At my small town's budget hearing they want the tax rate to go up twice that of inflation, driven by the towns benefit program.  I've taken a hit in my pay check due ot benefits, well the public sector needs to feel the same pain, as I'm not interested in covering my pain and theirs.  

You obviously don't live in some of Boston's back neighborhoods as they experienced this what it was like to not see a plow, although they were paying for it..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

So you, as an expert, are saying that we are stuck at 8% unemployment?

I guess if you listen long enough you'll accept it too!

I've got a lot of data with quite a bit of options and opportunities for expanded job growth, even some recent cadidates made suggestions for job growth.

Seems as though they lost the election to a group that likes to give away free-stuff in exchange for votes.

But hey, you're a smart guy, I must be wrong...... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to doozy-day's comment:

I've got a lot of data with quite a bit of options and opportunities for expanded job growth, even some recent cadidates made suggestions for job growth.

Seems as though they lost the election to a group that likes to give away free-stuff in exchange for votes.

The theory that President Obama won because of a tsunami of takers is false and shows a complete lack of demographic understanding on your part.

I guess its easier to blame the people who are not working than face the real issues facing this nation. It's easier to say people are lazy, unskilled, and want 'free stuff' than to take a long hard look at the economic policies that have decimated the middle class and thrown millions onto the unemployment lines and into poverty. Wingnuts don't do complexity, they want things simple and in sound bites. It's easier.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The snowplow scenario is pretty much what I had in mind when I wrote the OP. We take a lot of government services for granted. I think putting those services in jeopardy would be an eye opener for most people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The theory that President Obama won because of a tsunami of takers is false and shows a complete lack of demographic understanding on your part.

I guess its easier to blame the people who are not working than face the real issues facing this nation. It's easier to say people are lazy, unskilled, and want 'free stuff' than to take a long hard look at the economic policies that have decimated the middle class and thrown millions onto the unemployment lines and into poverty. Wingnuts don't do complexity, they want things simple and in sound bites. It's easier.

It is simple really...people blame the poor because they can. It's much easier to pick on someone who can't fight back...so the more ignorant among us like to place the blame on the poor..single parent..or the mentally ill..rather than take on big corporate welfare.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

It is apparently difficult to understand that government stimulus never works.  We have had a trillion plus in what is essentailly government stimulus for the past five years, and the needle hasn't budged.

You want to get 3 million back to work within the current ground rules?  lower taxes.  it is the only thing that will work from an economic persepctive.  BTW, I don't think that is necessarly the best solution, but our hands are tied, primarily becasue government spending has sucked the oxygen out of the private sector, creating  a false economy based on increased taxation and borrowing, so, there is really only one place to go if government spending isn't reduced.

Stimulus does work and the needle has budged.    

What doesn't work is austerity.  Turning wage earning, tax paying people into unemployed people requiring assistance is not productive. Historically the way out of a recession has been through increased government spending which would slowly grow the economy. You don't have an economy if no one is spending money, so the government becomes the consumer of last resort. It's even how Reagan did it during his recession, but he didn't call it a stimulus, he just spent a fortune on the military.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

It is simple really...people blame the poor because they can. It's much easier to pick on someone who can't fight back...so the more ignorant among us like to place the blame on the poor..single parent..or the mentally ill..rather than take on big corporate welfare.

Wow, I never thought you would resort to name calling, I am not ignorant, I am a realist.

You need to come out of your little hole and travel a bit, not to a resort or a cruise, but into the cities across America.

So many of you spend all day on these boards, getting most of your information from news sources, blogs, left/right-leaning television programs etc.

I travel for a living, and visit the highs and lows of America, trust me I've seen a lot more than most of the clowns on these boards.

The "free-stuff"  generation is rampant in America, and to someone like you, it's easier to blame corporate America.  That way no one will accuse you of being "mean".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Wow, I never thought you would resort to name calling, I am not ignorant, I am a realist.

You need to come out of your little hole and travel a bit, not to a resort or a cruise, but into the cities across America.

So many of you spend all day on these boards, getting most of your information from news sources, blogs, left/right-leaning television programs etc.

I travel for a living, and visit the highs and lows of America, trust me I've seen a lot more than most of the clowns on these boards.

The "free-stuff"  generation is rampant in America, and to someone like you, it's easier to blame corporate America.  That way no one will accuse you of being "mean".

So you are able to drive through neighborhoods and spot the 'takers' and not confuse them with people who have jobs or may be between jobs? 

Thats some skill you have.  Or do you just see a skin color or ethnicity and make an assumption?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Give obama everything he wants...force him to do the unthinkable...force him to take responsibility for the first time in his presidency....put him in a position where he has to do his job....

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Where's the dissonance to understand that republicans also love to hand out 'gifts' in exchange for votes (and campaign cash)...at times more than those evil dems...?

The notion that one party is more corrupt than the other belies one's concept of a two-party system.  They are both equally corrupt and corruptible with sporadic bursts of magnanimity breaking the surface.

Never mind the brazen insult of an entire swath of voting public....some of whom must have been genuine in their choice.

Never also mind that such a vacant, expressed philosophy of 'takers' helped take the gop nominee down.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

Give obama everything he wants...

Nobody with a brain is truly suggesting that, much less the man himself.

That anyone thinks so is their own problem, not the president's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

You must travel mostly in the southern wingnut states because those are the states, by far, where the "free stuff generation is rampant".

The highest rate of people who don't pay taxes and the states that get more in federal funds than they pay in taxes, the welfare queens of the union.

So I guess when ever yo hit a state line like Mississippi or Alabama or Louisianna you immediately mutter "Bunch of takers."

Actually, I was in New Orleans last week, plus Baton Rouge and Gonzales, and found it doing OK.  My business there is OK, there are still a lot of milestones for recovery from Katrina as you could expect.

But I saw housing, hotels, restaurants, all under construction in Gonzales, plus a new Outlet Mall being expanded.

I'll bet you haven't been outside of your own basement in a dogs-age!

Unfortunately, I see a lot of the "free-stuff generation" at my own local grocery stores.  Then I see others at the 7-11 playing Keno and scratching tickets.

Oh yeah, I love it when I'm in line at CVS, and the lady in front of me pays fifty cents for her prescription....she's wearing nicer clothes than mine, and showing off her new "Nanna" tattoo.  Priceless!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

So you are able to drive through neighborhoods and spot the 'takers' and not confuse them with people who have jobs or may be between jobs? 

Thats some skill you have.  Or do you just see a skin color or ethnicity and make an assumption?

Don't you know?  There are more white people on welfare than any other race, and all you really need to do is listen to them talk a while.

Go to the restaurants, the bars, the grocery stores, the coffee shops, and listen in.

You thread-dwellers have no clue as to what is going on, you just print what someone else has printed, and think you know everything.

Makes me chuckle, mainly because I come on these boards to do just that.  Don't get me wrong, you all make some good points, a little twisted IMO, but you all know your stuff when it comes to picking and choosing your arguments.

I just think you all need to get out more, and stop believing everything you read, make up your own mind by experience.

Oh, never mind, it's no use.....

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

I question that one.... I see the rich get their fair share of blame.  I think the biggest problem is the continual blame game from both sides. How can anything ever get accomplished when everyone is too busy blaming everyone else.

We are undoubtably heading down a hill.

Fair enough..and I agree with your point about people blaming and pointing fingers at each other. Honestly..I don't remember a time when Congress ( and the administration) have accomplished so little and created so much chaos. This every few months drama is getting very old..very fast.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Did I say you were ignorant..? It's kind of interesting that you took my comment to be directed toward you...a poster who I don't even recall ever interacting with. Kind of interesting..in a subconcious sort of way.

I am not afraid of anyone referring to me as being mean. I am sure that in my life..I have uncovered and reported more entitlement fraud ( and waste) than you..or anyone else on this board for that matter. I suppose the people commit the fraud and are ultimately bagged by me probably consider me mean...but trust me that I don't lose sleep over it.

I comment on both. I do not limit my comments to just corporations. I think some entitlements need to be reformed. The difference between you and I is that I don't waste a lot of time picking on the little guy..and I am not afraid to pick on the "big guy"..especially when the "big guy" costs me more tax money than the little guy. Get my drift?