Snowden Traitor vs. Whistleblower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Snowden Traitor vs. Whistleblower

It's been very quiet on the Traitor vs. Whistleblower Front.  I think he's stupidly naive.

Called a defector, NSA leaker defends his decision

By Jethro Mullen and Matt Smith, CNN

updated 8:46 AM EDT, Mon June 10, 2013

Hong Kong (CNN) -- Edward Snowden, the man behind of one of the biggest leaks in the history of U.S. intelligence, is a former technical assistant for the CIA who is now holed up in a Hong Kong hotel, in danger of running out of money and hoping to find asylum somewhere in the world.

U.S. Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee's Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, called Snowden "a defector" who should be turned over to the United States with an eye toward harsh prosecution.

"This person is dangerous to the country," King told CNN's "Starting Point" on Monday.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Snowden Traitor vs. Whistleblower

I think Edward Snowden deserves praise, but I also think he deserves jail time.  

When a person chooses to work with classified information, there is a legal and ethical obligation to maintain confidentiality that transcends that person's personal politics. If that person doesn't like what they learn, they are free to resign -- but the obligation to maintain confidentiality remains forever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

To prove some one a "traitor" you have to show that they willfully committed an act to hurt the USA or aid the enemy.

I do not think that was his intention.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to tvoter's comment:

To prove some one a "traitor" you have to show that they willfully committed an act to hurt the USA or aid the enemy.

I do not think that was his intention.

He has the advantage of not being subject to the UCMJ like Mr Manning.  Whole dif standard there.

Absolutely. The UCMJ article 99 is a biotch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Those who would call him a traitor would point out that the natural consequences of his act is a lashback against data collection, which in turn might let a terrist go undetected, and thereby harm the United States.

In other words: Law assumes one intends the natural consequences of one's acts, and it is no defense to say that one does not intend to harm the U.S. despite the fact that that is a potential consequence of a given act....simply because one hoped something good would come of it.

I still dont see it as treasonous, do you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Not a big fan of people in special opps, national security etc....talking out loud...operational security should never be compromised..(hear that joe Biden??  Prezz Obama??) but there is a scarey amount of information being mined by the fed government without cause.

Obama says to protect us from terrorists yet when faced with real terrorism he pretends it doesnt exist....protests over youtube videos, man made disasters??? which is it mr president??

does terrorism exist or not???? or does it only exist when it favors you, your agenda or your power over others???

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

There are, of course, other questions: Is this the kind of guy we trust our 'state secrets' to?

He's a high school drop-out. He was in special forces but left due to injury. He's basically an accomplished IT guy, 29 years old. He was given top security clearance - ability to download any old document or use any old surveillance system.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/06/09/edward_snowden_why_did_the_nsa_whistleblower_have_access_to_prism_and_other.html?wpisrc=flyouts

So, he didn't finish HS but, obviously got his GED and then joined the military was allowed in a special forces unit and was injured. He was then accepted into the CIA and is an accomplished IT professional.

When you say it like that it doesnt sound as bad huh?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

It sounds precisely as bad. Why should someone like that have top security clearance?

Why should tax cheats, felons, and domestic abusers etc hold public office in DC?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

There are, of course, other questions: Is this the kind of guy we trust our 'state secrets' to?

He's a high school drop-out. He was in special forces but left due to injury. He's basically an accomplished IT guy, 29 years old. He was given top security clearance - ability to download any old document or use any old surveillance system.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/06/09/edward_snowden_why_did_the_nsa_whistleblower_have_access_to_prism_and_other.html?wpisrc=flyouts

So, he didn't finish HS but, obviously got his GED and then joined the military was allowed in a special forces unit and was injured. He was then accepted into the CIA and is an accomplished IT professional.

When you say it like that it doesnt sound as bad huh?

It sounds precisely as bad. Why should someone like that have top security clearance?

He shouldn't, what bothers me more then the creepy realization that our government can, grudgingly should and does monitor the web like this, is that they hire and entrust people like Snowden and Manning with our secrets.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Im going with Manning=Traitor and Snowden=Wistleblower for now. I'm willing to change my mind if I get new information.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

I wonder why the guy would flee to China, one of the few remaining communist countries which is notorious for it's own rights violations and policing/blocking of electronic media within it's borders?

Well most likely he thought that the Chineese would protect him and refuse to hand him over to the US government.  Once again a stupidly naive thought.  Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US.  Obama and XI just met on cybersnooping (polite term), one would think the Chineese would love to use Snowden as a pawn.

Snowden what a silly little man.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Putin suggested Russia might give him asylum... 

Putin is just throwing it in our face.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

He was given a security clearance by the federal government. That comes with certain responsibilities and consequences. The bottom line is that he released confidential documents related to national security. Setting aside the issue of the NSA gathering phone records of US Citizens...the release of these documents jeopardizes a national security. For this reason I think he should be investigated and prosecuted. Regardless of whether you agree with the program or not..there needs to be a zero tolerance for national security documents being released to the public.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts