So, is the gas price high enough to crush the working man?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

So, is the gas price high enough to crush the working man?

Funny how the unbeleiveably high gas prices has not cropped up in the media, or even words of consolation parting from the lips of the One (PBUH).

What do liberals have to say about the crushing burden high energy costs have on the little guy, the average working man?  

Ready to drill in ANWAR?

Ready to stop slow-walking leases?

Ready to stop protesting nukes?

Is the left ready to just shut up and let the people who know what to do that thing they do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: So, is the gas price high enough to crush the working man?

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Funny how the unbeleiveably high gas prices has not cropped up in the media, or even words of consolation parting from the lips of the One (PBUH).

What do liberals have to say about the crushing burden high energy costs have on the little guy, the average working man?  

Ready to drill in ANWAR?

Is the left ready to just shut up and let the people who know what to do that thing they do?

Skeeter, the national average today is $3.71.  On July 6, 2008 it was $4.12.  Six months later, on January 10, 2009 it was $1.61.

Do you really think gas prices are tied to supply and demand?  If I showed you two graphs with dates would you be able to tell which was the rise in gas prices, and which was the performance of the DOW jones?

What I really want to do is convert my house to solar and plug in an electric car that is comfortable and practical, so I can get stop depending on crooks and murderers for my energy needs.  I know - I'm such a moonbat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Ready to drill in ANWAR?

When was the last time anyone protested nuclear energy?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Ready to drill in ANWAR?

Skeeter, the national average today is $3.71.  On July 6, 2008 it was $4.12.  Six months later, on January 10, 2009 it was $1.61.

Do you really think gas prices are tied to supply and demand?  If I showed you two graphs with dates would you be able to tell which was the rise in gas prices, and which was the performance of the DOW jones?

What I really want to do is convert my house to solar and plug in an electric car that is comfortable and practical, so I can get stop depending on crooks and murderers for my energy needs.  I know - I'm such a moonbat.

Right.  The people who make it possible for you to have gas for the car are the crooks, not  the state and federal government that take abour 25-35% of that price in taxes.

BTW, I've looked into solar.  I'm with you at heart on being independent in that way, but it is just not practical, today.  This is not a good area for solar, not enough good sunny days.  And, on top of that, when you take into account all the costs, much more expensive than other electric alternatives, except wind, whihc is outrageously expensive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

Ready to drill in ANWAR?

When was the last time anyone protested nuclear energy?

Well, I guess you would have to go back to the Bush administration for a serious protest against nukes.  now that Obama is in power, well, the lefties would rather get in line than stick to a principled point of view.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I guess the Obama supporters don't want to admit to facts here.  Gas prices are up, no press, no liveshots infront of gas pumps starting with the words "the Obama administration...", and on top of that, Obama has stated that he wants gas prices to go even higher.

So much for being for helping the "working man".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

I guess the Obama supporters don't want to admit to facts here.  Gas prices are up, no press, no liveshots infront of gas pumps starting with the words "the Obama administration...", and on top of that, Obama has stated that he wants gas prices to go even higher.

When, and where, specifically, did Obama say he wanted gas prices to go higher?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Ready to drill in ANWAR?

Right.  The people who make it possible for you to have gas for the car are the crooks, not  the state and federal government that take abour 25-35% of that price in taxes.

BTW, I've looked into solar.  I'm with you at heart on being independent in that way, but it is just not practical, today.  This is not a good area for solar, not enough good sunny days.  And, on top of that, when you take into account all the costs, much more expensive than other electric alternatives, except wind, whihc is outrageously expensive.

So what exactly is drilling in ANWAR going to do if the only difference between $4 gas and $1.60 gas is a frightened stock market?

You need to look harder at solar - you may have been right five years ago, but this is a rapidly changing technology.  Panels produce more energy with less sunlight, and batteries hold higher capacities for longer, and material is getting cheaper.  Bet on technology - the phone in your pocket would have filled a room 30 years ago - this is a no-brainer IMO.  Even with climate change and national security set aside, this drill baby drill mentality is like buying stock in a typewriter company.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

When, and where, specifically, did Obama say he wanted gas prices to go higher?

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VquNu30hDe8

in his own words.

Here:

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-regime-admits-it-wants-high-gas-prices

Here:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-sheffield/2012/03/16/open-thread-obama-video-saying-he-wants-higher-energy-prices

But, other than Obama indicating we needed higher gas prices, and Energy Sec. Chu saying we need higher gas prices, well no evidence whatsoever.

But, that sails right by  the main point:  Gas prices are higher.  What is OBama doing about it?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Don't like the high gas prices...?

Then don't use so much gas.

Pretty simple, really.

Don't move to the sticks in order to drive 60 miles each way to work in traffic that makes it seem like 120, all while driving a 5+ litre monster SUV that gets 16 miles to the gallon.

Oil will remain a speculative commodity no matter how many oil rigs or pipelines or nukes are built.  The price will never be stable while the long-term effects of its widespread use (abuse) are still being stifled at the policy level.

And in the meantime, the gas-powered internal combustion engine will die a slow death and take a lot of us down with it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Yes it is causing me an issue at the moment.

Me too. Paid over five grand in gas just getting to work last year.  Under Bush, that would have been about three grand. So, a two grand haircut under Obama.

but, there is no inflation.  Things just cost more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Pretty simple, really.

Don't move to the sticks in order to drive 60 miles each way to work in traffic that makes it seem like 120, all while driving a 5+ litre monster SUV that gets 16 miles to the gallon.

Oil will remain a speculative commodity no matter how many oil rigs or pipelines or nukes are built.  The price will never be stable while the long-term effects of its widespread use (abuse) are still being stifled at the policy level.

And in the meantime, the gas-powered internal combustion engine will die a slow death and take a lot of us down with it.

True in the abstract.  However, here in the real world, people can't jutherefortherefor cars and buy a Prius because of a fickle administration.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Pretty simple, really.

True in the abstract.  However, here in the real world, people can't jutherefortherefor cars and buy a Prius because of a fickle administration.

I was about to tell you to lay off the sauce, or maybe not drink as much. But reading your last post, it occures to me that perhaps you're simply huffing gasoline.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Yes it is causing me an issue at the moment.

Me too. Paid over five grand in gas just getting to work last year.  Under Bush, that would have been about three grand. So, a two grand haircut under Obama.

but, there is no inflation.  Things just cost more.

If you paid 5K in gas in 2012, then you paid $4,500 in 2008, and $2,100 in 2000.  You're giving Bush a pass on 111% increase in gas prices, but holding Obama to the fire for an 11% increase.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Pretty simple, really.

I was about to tell you to lay off the sauce, or maybe not drink as much. But reading your last post, it occures to me that perhaps you're simply huffing gasoline.

No, I wish.  It is the crazy spell corrector in the iPad.  It got by me.

The point is that people just can't afford to go sell their cars on the whim of higher gas prices.  Easy for your bike riding Cantabridgians to throw that stone, but, for the rest of us, our car is the second biggest purchase we are likely to make in our life time, outside of our homes.

To expect every time that gas price spikes we are going to be able to dump our minivans and buy a Prius is liberal elitist nonsense, and show no understanding of how markets work either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

"Don't like the high gas prices...?

Pretty simple, really.

Don't move to the sticks in order to drive 60 miles each way to work in traffic that makes it seem like 120, all while driving a 5+ litre monster SUV that gets 16 miles to the gallon."

It's actually not that simple. Not everyone can control where they work. Not everyone can afford to live near their employer. Some people get transferred which is out of their control. Some people get laid off and have no choice but to take a job that might be farther from home than they's liked.

Also, not everyone drives a monster SUV. Many who drive civics, which is great on gas mileage, still feel the pain because not everyone makes big money. Everyones situation is unique. Do you think you, making the money you make, feels the same pain at the pump as someone making 30-40K for example? 

Spot on.

And, liberals don't get it.  A car is a tool, and youu buy what you need.  Everyone's needs are different.  We can't all drive nissan LEAFs or PRius's.  they just don't meet our needs.

Nor do they get that the role of governemnt is not to get us to use less gas, but to get out of the way of those who are trying to bring us more gas.  That would lower prices, however, and postpone the social engineering of the left on this issue.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Pretty simple, really.

Don't move to the sticks in order to drive 60 miles each way to work in traffic that makes it seem like 120, all while driving a 5+ litre monster SUV that gets 16 miles to the gallon."

It's actually not that simple. Not everyone can control where they work. Not everyone can afford to live near their employer. Some people get transferred which is out of their control. Some people get laid off and have no choice but to take a job that might be farther from home than they's liked.

Also, not everyone drives a monster SUV. Many who drive civics, which is great on gas mileage, still feel the pain because not everyone makes big money. Everyones situation is unique. Do you think you, making the money you make, feels the same pain at the pump as someone making 30-40K for example?  

I disagree.  It's simpler than it's made out to be.

Since we, as consumers, have NO say in the retail prices of gasoline at the pump, our ONLY recourse is to use less of it.

I exaggerated to make a point.  Many people DO have control over what they drive, where they live and work and how they commute.  If people want to insist on driving a hundred miles per day solo in traffic and yet still complain about gas prices, then it's hard to sympathize.

Of course, every situation is unique, but there are hybrids, carpooling, vanpooling, public transit, flextime options.  It comes down to basic ROI and the expense of commuting.  Sometimes tranferring to a another city or moving closer to the office makes perfect sense.

Likewise, when not commuting, it's just as important to conserve fuel, combine trips, shop locally, etc.  (Just like with the costs of health care, it's incumbent upon people to take responsibility to exercise, eat healthy, don't smoke, etc.)  

In general, I feel much more for the tradesmen, contractors, drivers, etc. who must travel place-to-place for work in loaded vans and trucks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Pretty simple, really.

Spot on.

And, liberals don't get it.  A car is a tool, and youu buy what you need.  Everyone's needs are different.  We can't all drive nissan LEAFs or PRius's.  they just don't meet our needs.

Nor do they get that the role of governemnt is not to get us to use less gas, but to get out of the way of those who are trying to bring us more gas.  That would lower prices, however, and postpone the social engineering of the left on this issue.

I get it just fine...better than you, in fact.

Oil production keeps rising and so do prices as long as the demand is there and more cars are added to the road, so the facts don't bear out your claim of lowering prices.

What kind of "tool" is needed for a single person commuting?  A mid-size sedan hybrid camry or altima gets upward of 30 mpg.

One role of government is absolutely to preserve our natural resources and get the best return on it as possible.  Hence, the long overdue need for higher mileage standards that the auto companies fought for years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I have no issue with a Prius but they just aren't practical for everyone. I would love to see my friends who have four boys that play hockey and lacrosse, lug all their gear to and from games in a Prius. 

My wife and I camp...when we do we bring two bikes, two kayaks, tent, cooler, bags for clothes, paddles, life vests, etc....try lugging all that in a fri99in Prius. We also have to bring trash to the dump at our Cape house. Yeah....I'd prefer having a pickup (Tacoma) for that. I dunno...maybe Prius drivers don't mind the smell of trash in their car but I do. 

They were forced to have four kids?

And I'm sure the "working man" sympathizes with your implied pain in having to haul all of your expensive big boy toys to your second home on Cape Cod.

But typically, your comment about Prius drivers and the smell of trash shows your snotty disdain for the simple virtue of economy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

No, I wish.  It is the crazy spell corrector in the iPad.  It got by me.

The point is that people just can't afford to go sell their cars on the whim of higher gas prices.  Easy for your bike riding Cantabridgians to throw that stone, but, for the rest of us, our car is the second biggest purchase we are likely to make in our life time, outside of our homes.

To expect every time that gas price spikes we are going to be able to dump our minivans and buy a Prius is liberal elitist nonsense, and show no understanding of how markets work either.

----------------------

I have no issue with a Prius but they just aren't practical for everyone. I would love to see my friends who have four boys that play hockey and lacrosse, lug all their gear to and from games in a Prius. 

My wife and I camp...when we do we bring two bikes, two kayaks, tent, cooler, bags for clothes, paddles, life vests, etc....try lugging all that in a fri99in Prius. We also have to bring trash to the dump at our Cape house. Yeah....I'd prefer having a pickup (Tacoma) for that. I dunno...maybe Prius drivers don't mind the smell of trash in their car but I do. 

Prius's are awful. Im the biggest toyota fan there is and i fvcking hate that car. Lol  What year taco(ma) do you have FS&2??

25. This post has been removed.