So, is the gas price high enough to crush the working man?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: So, is the gas price high enough to crush the working man?

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

I have no issue with a Prius but they just aren't practical for everyone. I would love to see my friends who have four boys that play hockey and lacrosse, lug all their gear to and from games in a Prius. 

My wife and I camp...when we do we bring two bikes, two kayaks, tent, cooler, bags for clothes, paddles, life vests, etc....try lugging all that in a fri99in Prius. We also have to bring trash to the dump at our Cape house. Yeah....I'd prefer having a pickup (Tacoma) for that. I dunno...maybe Prius drivers don't mind the smell of trash in their car but I do. 

They were forced to have four kids?

And I'm sure the "working man" sympathizes with your implied pain in having to haul all of your expensive big boy toys to your second home on Cape Cod.

But typically, your comment about Prius drivers and the smell of trash shows your snotty disdain for the simple virtue of economy.

How exactly are those " Big Expensice boy toys" Matty??? I can think of alot of toys that are more expensive than Kayaks. And if i remember correctly dont you have a few "big expensive boy toys" yourself...

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Prius's are awful. Im the biggest toyota fan there is and i fvcking hate that car. Lol  What year taco(ma) do you have FS&2??

Some people can't afford your sense of entitlement and bias.

Prii have consistently scored as one of the most reliable, economical cars ever made...

...despite your hatred for the inanimate machine.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I have no issue with a Prius but they just aren't practical for everyone. I would love to see my friends who have four boys that play hockey and lacrosse, lug all their gear to and from games in a Prius. 

My wife and I camp...when we do we bring two bikes, two kayaks, tent, cooler, bags for clothes, paddles, life vests, etc....try lugging all that in a fri99in Prius. We also have to bring trash to the dump at our Cape house. Yeah....I'd prefer having a pickup (Tacoma) for that. I dunno...maybe Prius drivers don't mind the smell of trash in their car but I do. 

And I'm sure the "working man" sympathizes with your implied pain in having to haul all of your expensive big boy toys to your second home on Cape Cod.

But typically, your comment about Prius drivers and the smell of trash shows your snotty disdain for the simple virtue of economy.

How exactly are those " Big Expensice boy toys" Matty??? I can think of alot of toys that are more expensive than Kayaks. And if i remember correctly dont you have a few "big expensive boy toys" yourself...

I didn't say they were big.  You did.  Read more carefully.

But it's a given that the purchase of something like a kayak also includes the cost of hauling it hither and yon.

I said I have a few toys but not what they are.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I didn't say they were big.  You did.  Read more carefully.

But it's a given that the purchase of something like a kayak also includes the cost of hauling it hither and yon.

I said I have a few toys but not what they are.  

Excuse me..My placement of big was wrong. And you have no footing to talk about other people luxury purchases when you have luxuries of your own. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

THAT'S your reply? OMFG...I expected more from you my friend.

A bike and kayak are expensive big boy toys? That's news to me. And make no mistake about it...I'm also a "working man". 

I have no disdain...you're making assumptions. In fact, if anyone is snotty it's the Prius drivers for having disdain towards us "gas guzzlers". My point was that a Prius isn't practical for everyone. If they make a quality hybrid four wheel pickup then I'd be all for it. But until that happens, my needs can't be met by a Prius and therefore I drive what I drive.

You misunderstand.

The fact is there are costs associated with any activity, such as kayaking, biking, vacationing to the Cape, etc.  Sitting in cape traffic isn't my idea of time well-spent, but if you think it is, then have at it.  Just be prepared to bear the costs...including the price of gasoline.

(Your example of someone making $30-40k probably precludes most such hobbies and summer dwellings.)

How else to interpret "Maybe Prius owners like the smell of trash"...??  Pull the other one.

I'll quote George Carlin,

"If you feel your needs aren't being met, then cut back some of your needs."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

No, I wish.  It is the crazy spell corrector in the iPad.  It got by me.

The point is that people just can't afford to go sell their cars on the whim of higher gas prices.  Easy for your bike riding Cantabridgians to throw that stone, but, for the rest of us, our car is the second biggest purchase we are likely to make in our life time, outside of our homes.

To expect every time that gas price spikes we are going to be able to dump our minivans and buy a Prius is liberal elitist nonsense, and show no understanding of how markets work either.

----------------------

Prius's are awful. Im the biggest toyota fan there is and i fvcking hate that car. Lol  What year taco(ma) do you have FS&2??

2112...love it!

Sweet. I have a 2001. Best Truck EVER. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Prii have consistently scored as one of the most reliable, economical cars ever made...

Right...but not always practical for everone. There is a reason cars come in all different sizes as well as different types. Everyone has different needs. If one goes up north a lot to ski it's probably a smart idea to have all-wheel or four-wheel drive. If one has a big family it's not practical to have a small car like a Prius. Or I guess based on your earlier comment people should not have more than two kids in order to be able to drive a Prius???

And I'm not arguing that point.  I'm saying that conservation of fuel is the very best way to save on fuel costs.  That's it.  However it's done, I don't care.

A Prius V will seat 5, unless they're fat.  So again, we come back to personal responsibility and accounting for the choices people make.

(And again, skiing is a relatively expensive hobby.)

But I don't think the relative 'luxury' of owning a hybrid is much different than the 'luxury' of owning a pickup truck...except in terms of priorities.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I had a T100 for a long time.  Outstanding truck.  200k+ miles

(But then, I had a painting business it was used for.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Right...but not always practical for everone. There is a reason cars come in all different sizes as well as different types. Everyone has different needs. If one goes up north a lot to ski it's probably a smart idea to have all-wheel or four-wheel drive. If one has a big family it's not practical to have a small car like a Prius. Or I guess based on your earlier comment people should not have more than two kids in order to be able to drive a Prius???

And I'm not arguing that point.  I'm saying that conservation of fuel is the very best way to save on fuel costs.  That's it.  However it's done, I don't care.

A Prius V will seat 5, unless they're fat.  So again, we come back to personal responsibility and accounting for the choices people make.

But I don't think the relative 'luxury' of owning a hybrid is much different than the 'luxury' of owning a pickup truck...except in terms of priorities.

A prius Seats Five if you wanna be packed in like sardines. Lol 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

My needs are being met. That's why I drive what I drive. It meets my need to get exercise through biking and/or kayaking while taking in the beauty and fresh air being on a lake or ocean or biking along bike path in Acadia National Park or wherever. I will gladly pay a little extra in gas to enjoy the life I want to live. 

BTW...Carlin was a genius!

And that's fine...for you.

Someone else might drive a compact regularly and either rent a bike/kayak or store them.  There's no right or wrong here, only choices.

And I concede your 'needs' are modest compared to some and yet tony compared to others.

Carlin always said he has interests, not hobbies, because while hobbies cost money, interests are free.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I had a T100 for a long time.  Outstanding truck.  200k+ miles

(But then, I had a painting business it was used for.)

See you cant run a painting buisness out of a Prius. Those Where cool trucks. Everbody made fun of Toyota pickups back in the day because the biggest motor they came with was a big V6, but now the big thing is putting more fuel efficiant V6's in Pickups. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

See you cant run a painting buisness out of a Prius. 

Which brings us back to the point that a Prius isn't practical for everyone

Which brings me to the next point. Who would Choose to drive a vehicle that Fvcking ugly??

Granted the new ones are starting to look a little better, but still you couldnt pay me to drive a prius.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Don't like the high gas prices...?

Then don't use so much gas.

Pretty simple, really.

Don't move to the sticks in order to drive 60 miles each way to work in traffic that makes it seem like 120, all while driving a 5+ litre monster SUV that gets 16 miles to the gallon.

Oil will remain a speculative commodity no matter how many oil rigs or pipelines or nukes are built.  The price will never be stable while the long-term effects of its widespread use (abuse) are still being stifled at the policy level.

And in the meantime, the gas-powered internal combustion engine will die a slow death and take a lot of us down with it.

The "just stop using so much gas" chant is not a realistic near term answer.  Since post WWII there has been a steady move to the burbs, exurbs and rural areas, like it or not its where people decided to go.  Yes there is a new resurgnace in urban dwelling going in in many cities, but the reality is people live where they are and they commute.

Based on the latest census 1.2 % of people are mega commuters with commutes 50 mi plus and 90 minute plus, in Mass its twice that with 30,000 mega commuters.  I'm a mega commuter, and car pool when I can.

US policy does have an impact on fossil fuel pricing and I support efforts for better gas mileage requirements, but the desire by many to steer us to sustainability goals can't be done at the expense of the few.  We'll have more stability in fuel pricing as we lower the percentage of oil coming from politically volatile areas. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

"Don't like the high gas prices...?

Then don't use so much gas.

Pretty simple, really.

Don't move to the sticks in order to drive 60 miles each way to work in traffic that makes it seem like 120, all while driving a 5+ litre monster SUV that gets 16 miles to the gallon."

It's actually not that simple. Not everyone can control where they work. Not everyone can afford to live near their employer. Some people get transferred which is out of their control. Some people get laid off and have no choice but to take a job that might be farther from home than they's liked.

Also, not everyone drives a monster SUV. Many who drive civics, which is great on gas mileage, still feel the pain because not everyone makes big money. Everyones situation is unique. Do you think you, making the money you make, feels the same pain at the pump as someone making 30-40K for example?  

I disagree.  It's simpler than it's made out to be.

Since we, as consumers, have NO say in the retail prices of gasoline at the pump, our ONLY recourse is to use less of it.

I exaggerated to make a point.  Many people DO have control over what they drive, where they live and work and how they commute.  If people want to insist on driving a hundred miles per day solo in traffic and yet still complain about gas prices, then it's hard to sympathize.

Of course, every situation is unique, but there are hybrids, carpooling, vanpooling, public transit, flextime options.  It comes down to basic ROI and the expense of commuting.  Sometimes tranferring to a another city or moving closer to the office makes perfect sense.

Likewise, when not commuting, it's just as important to conserve fuel, combine trips, shop locally, etc.  (Just like with the costs of health care, it's incumbent upon people to take responsibility to exercise, eat healthy, don't smoke, etc.)  

In general, I feel much more for the tradesmen, contractors, drivers, etc. who must travel place-to-place for work in loaded vans and trucks.

But, we do have a recourse to higher gas prices.  

The recource is having government focus on increasing supply rather that trying to make it so expensive no one except the rich can afford it.

Currently, we have an administrtion that is out to make gas expensive and scarce.  Gotta change that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sure...but now add four hockey bags and sticks and you've got a problem. Now, I realize not everyone has four kids who play hockey, but that's why I state that a Prius isn't for everyone. Should my friends tell their kids they shouldn't play the sport they love because of the environment?

Your point?

My priorities is to enjoy the outdoors and not have my car smell like sh!te from lugging trash. I get to do that with my pickup. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy a Prius. If that car works for your lifestyle then that is great. Just don't tell me I should shift my priorities so I can drive a Prius versus my pickup. To each his/her own

Out of curiosity what type of hybrid do you drive? Do you like it?

Again, I'm not telling you what to drive, BUT if your needs and priorities include the activities you mention and hauling your gear around, then it's a bit disingenuous to complain about the price of gas for operating your truck when you aren't hauling.  

Look, I would say the same about anyone who didn't maintain their car regularly enough to optimize fuel efficiency, regardless of what model it is.  The principle is the same.

FWIW, we have a Ford Fusion hybrid that we bought last year.  And it's fine...roomy and practical.  (We even took it camping last summer.)  36-38 mpg is typical.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

And that's fine...for you.

Exactly my point. You drive your Prius and I'll drive my truck. I don't care that you drive a Prius and you shouldn't care I drive a truck. To each his/her own I say

It doesn't matter what you drive - you're likely to get far better fuel efficiency on your next car or truck than you do today.  And if you are really concerned about the price of gas, then you can probably find a hybrid of the model you like.  Silverados and Sierras both have hybrid models now.  You'll get 20-25% better fuel efficiency.  If you're getting 25% better fuel efficiency, and gas prices have increased 11% since Obama took office, you're ahead of the game even with a 4WD truck.

Sections
Shortcuts