Something Else done in Under Obama, when will it stop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Something Else done in Under Obama, when will it stop?

Lighten up just catching your attention.

Oh the pain; all of my childhood favorites; doughy white Wonder bread, Twinkies, Ho Ho’s, Sno Balls all going the way of the buffalo.

Hostess Brands closing for good 

By Chris Isidore and James O'Toole @CNNMoney November 16, 2012: 8:59 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them.

The closing will result in Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers losing their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide, as well as 570 outlet stores. The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union represents around 5,000.

"We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike," said CEO Gregory Rayburn in a statement.

Hostess will move to sell its assets to the highest bidder. That could mean for some of its most popular products, which could be scooped up at auction and attached to products from other companies.

A letter that Hostess sent to its network of stores that carry its product said it expects "there will be great interest in our brands." But it said it could not give a time frame for when the sales would take place and its products would be available again.

But even if those brands are bought and restarted, the Hostess workers will not get their jobs back.

"The industry has overcapacity. We're overcapacity. Our rivals are overcapacity," said Rayburn in an interview on CNBC. Asked if the shutdown decision could be reversed if the Bakers' union agreed to immediately return to work, he responded, "Too late."

While approval of the bankruptcy court is needed before the company can start selling its assets in liquidation, the company said production at all of its bakeries has ceased effective Friday, and that stores will no longer receive products from Hostess Brands. But products that are already in stores can be sold, and the outlet stores will remain open for several days to sell the products they already have.

Hostess had annual sales of about $2.5 billion. The company said there are had been 500 million Twinkies made annually.

Its bread brands, including Wonder Bread, Nature's Pride and Butternut, make the company the No. 2 bead baker in the country, according to Symphjony/IRI Group. Bimbo Bakeries, maker of Arnold and Stroehmann brands, is the No. 1 bread baker.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Something Else done in Under Obama, when will it stop?

Left out is the part where the two hedge funds that own Hostess ran the company into the ground. They've looted it as much as they can, giving Hostess executives stunning raises this year (the CEO got a 300% raise). Now they've made insane demands of their labor which already took the brunt of the 2004 bankruptcy, savings that were never put back into the company. The owners are framing the unions, plain and simple.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Between 1995 and 2011 $20 billion in taxpayers dollars have gone to subsidized 4 common junk food additives and only a little over $600 million dollars have gone to subsidized apples. If these subsidizes went right to the taxpayers each tax payer would recieve almost $ 8 dollars a year to buy Twinkes and only 30 cents a year to buy apples.

I don't know about you but I rather have an Honeycrisp apple than a Twinke with coffee milk after some Ganja !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to UserName99's comment:

The owners are framing the unions, plain and simple.

Hahahahaha....thanks for the laugh. Much appreciated

There are always two sides to a story.  And yet you laugh...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to UserName99's comment:

The owners are framing the unions, plain and simple.

Hahahahaha....thanks for the laugh. Much appreciated

There are always two sides to a story.  And yet you laugh...

Its amusing to beat our work force down to income levels comparable to China and India.

Look for these same Hostess sugar-filled fried lard cakes to magically reappear on Walmart shelves next year.....made in China.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Between 1995 and 2011 $20 billion in taxpayers dollars have gone to subsidized 4 common junk food additives and only a little over $600 million dollars have gone to subsidized apples. If these subsidizes went right to the taxpayers each tax payer would recieve almost $ 8 dollars a year to buy Twinkes and only 30 cents a year to buy apples.

I don't know about you but I rather have an Honeycrisp apple than a Twinke with coffee milk after some Ganja !

Come on apples grow on thier own Twinkies are created its no wonder they would have a higher subsidy. 

This post was meant to be funny.  I've always had  soft spot for a good Twinkie, never said they are good for you but its old memory filled comfort food.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Come on apples grow on thier own Twinkies are created its no wonder they would have a higher subsidy. 

This post was meant to be funny.  I've always had  soft spot for a good Twinkie, never said they are good for you but its old memory filled comfort food.

All 5'2" and 300 lbs of me was smiling when I read your post.

BTW I love Twinkies and Coffee Milk !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

Did you know that they`re not cooked?  Nowhere in the process of "twinkie-making" is an oven involved.  Yet, the employees are known as bakers.............

Really ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Right.  Because when you are blown away on some good weed, you make such well thought out choices.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to TFefio's comment:

Do you extend your pinkie when you stir?

I think I dropped my serviette !

BTW Hey where's your Emily Post ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I have to imagine a buyer will snap up the recipes, facilities, etc and reopen the brand with a smaller footbprint, fewer employees (non union of course) and pick right back up.  Not that losing Hostess would be a national tragedy on par with say losing GE or a car company, but I would imagine someone out there realizes that the brand has some serious equity behind it and could be profitble under the right circumstances. 

And it is true, Twinkies are not baked.  Its more of a chemical reaction. 

Edit:  This may be an urban legend.  It appears they are baked and have a reletively short shelf life of just a few weeks.  I think I like the urban legent of the indestructible Twinkie better than reality.  I shall call it my Twinkie Bubble. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Right.  Because when you are blown away on some good weed, you make such well thought out choices.

I don't know about making choices but I can bake a mean Hash Brownie !

BTW they do  refer to a joint as the " Thinking Man's Cigarette !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Wonder Bread isn't anything remotely to be missed.  It's garbage with virtually no nutritional value and tastes like it, too.

Good riddance.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Wonder Bread isn't anything remotely to be missed.  It's garbage with virtually no nutritional value and tastes like it, too.

Good riddance.

Weren't you ever a kid?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Good riddance.

Weren't you ever a kid?

Believe it or not, yes.  But processed foods were (mostly) not allowed in our house.  We had wheat bread or fresh italian bread from the local bakery.  Ellio's pizza and hojo's mac & cheese were about the extent of it. 

So, I learned to cook at home using fresh or whole ingredients, which came in handy when I was on my own with little money and still serves me well to this day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Photo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Whoa. And just what the flaming hell leads back to Obama on this one? Moderate....?

Nevermind that they produce some of the most unhealthy, awful, and disguting food-like products on earth. Good riddance. Ugh.

Of course Obama killed white bread.  That is what Black Muslim Communist terrorists do.  It is part of the progressive conspiracy.  Black men are in the black helicopters and they are coming for your white bread.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Sections
Shortcuts