'Sour grapes' GOP plans to change electoral college 'winner take all' system should die a quick death

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

'Sour grapes' GOP plans to change electoral college 'winner take all' system should die a quick death

Republicans are starting to act as whiny as Dems in 2000... 

In multiple states that helped push President Barack Obama to victory in the 2012 election, Republican-controlled legislatures are introducing electoral changes that they believe will help their chances in the future.  Basically, no more winner-take-all.

Earlier this week in VirginiaSenate Republicans advanced a plan that would radically change how the state's electoral votes are allocated. It would grant an electoral vote to the winner of each of Virginia's 11 Congressional districts.

Showing his typical political savvy, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell quickly opposed Republican legislation to change his state's electoral college system.

According to the Washington Postseveral measures have been introduced by Democrats over the past decade, all with the same rationale of giving more say to voters on the losing side. Especially after the Dems whining about the 2000 election.

As is pointed out, this is short sighted. What if Virginia votes for the GOP candidate in '16? The GOP would want all 13 electoral votes...but this legislation would split the electoral votes !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Re: 'Sour grapes' GOP plans to change electoral college 'winner take all' system should die a quick death

There is a strain in the republican party that so loves creative electoral measures: Term limits (until their person is in), recalls, owning voting machines, reducing the number of polling places in some precincts, keeping the polls open late in those where more votes are needed, Citizens United, voter ID.  Even driving an election to a republican supreme court.  And the Murdoch&Ailes and EIB Network mega-moneyed media sales forces, the products of the changes to FCC limits.  And now this initiative.

But, to "strain" in its other meaning: Bottom line for at least the time being, it's another pesky fissure -- within the party.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: 'Sour grapes' GOP plans to change electoral college 'winner take all' system should die a quick death

In response to jmel's comment:

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:

Just another example of the whacko wingnuts trying to avoid reality.

Rather than actually creating a party that is reflective of the majority of the voters, they want to try and game the system so as to avoid their responsibility as representatives of the people.

They continue to lose the electoral college as well as the popular vote so they do the only thing they know how...try to cheat the system.

Pathetic.

(QUOTE)

What`s "pathetic" is, the "majority of voters" are scum bag, welfare-ites with EBT cards, food stamps, and obamaphones.  They`re dumb as posts, living in their mama`s basement, voting for the guy that gives them more free stuff.  They think JayZ and Beyonce are brilliant, and they get their news from Saturday Night Live and the Comedy channel.  Kinda` like.......well, you, (except I`m guessing most of them don`t have booze, pot, and prescription drug addictions)

I hear this right-wing line about 'free stuff' a lot, but wasn't it Romney who was promising everybody the moon?  Across the board tax cuts, 4 % GDP growth, increased military spending - I never heard him talk about shutting down SNAP or reforming wellfare.  When pressed for specifics as to where he would cut spending, he gave us PBS.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

slomag makes a good point, Romney isn't much of a conservative.

back to the topic, its funny that Democrats are complaining about this when not so long ago they were wanting to abolish the electoral college completely when Gore won the popular vote but lost the election.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

There is a strain in the republican party that so loves creative electoral measures: Term limits (until their person is in), recalls, owning voting machines, reducing the number of polling places in some precincts, keeping the polls open late in those where more votes are needed, Citizens United, voter ID.  Even driving an election to a republican supreme court.  And the Murdoch&Ailes and EIB Network mega-moneyed media sales forces, the products of the changes to FCC limits.  And now this initiative.

But, to "strain" in its other meaning: Bottom line for at least the time being, another pesky fissure -- within the party.

Hillary is also a big proponent of electoral change.  that is, until the democrats got the upper hand in the electoral college.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Rather than actually creating a party that is reflective of the majority of the voters, they want to try and game the system so as to avoid their responsibility as representatives of the people.

They continue to lose the electoral college as well as the popular vote so they do the only thing they know how...try to cheat the system.

Pathetic.

(QUOTE)

What`s "pathetic" is, the "majority of voters" are scum bag, welfare-ites with EBT cards, food stamps, and obamaphones.  They`re dumb as posts, living in their mama`s basement, voting for the guy that gives them more free stuff.  They think JayZ and Beyonce are brilliant, and they get their news from Saturday Night Live and the Comedy channel.  Kinda` like.......well, you, (except I`m guessing most of them don`t have booze, pot, and prescription drug addictions)

I hear this right-wing line about 'free stuff' a lot, but wasn't it Romney who was promising everybody the moon?  Across the board tax cuts, 4 % GDP growth, increased military spending - I never heard him talk about shutting down SNAP or reforming wellfare.  When pressed for specifics as to where he would cut spending, he gave us PBS.

Romney was an ineffectual liberal pretending to be a conservative.  When he made suggestions, like cuts, he gave the wimpish answer, PBS.

However, I don't see the general popint of allowing people to keep their own money as giving people "free stuff".  It's theirs to begin with.  Something liberals don't seem to grasp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Pathetic.

(QUOTE)

Romney was an ineffectual liberal pretending to be a conservative.  When he made suggestions, like cuts, he gave the wimpish answer, PBS.

However, I don't see the general popint of allowing people to keep their own money as giving people "free stuff".  It's theirs to begin with.  Something liberals don't seem to grasp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Pathetic.

(QUOTE)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

IMMO A National popular vote is what best for the country....... but I won't enjoy all the political advertisements though ! I'm also in favor for term limits for politicians and judges ,public financing of campaigns and the return of Fairness Doctrine .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

IMMO A National popular vote is what best for the country....... but I won't enjoy all the political advertisements though ! I'm also in favor for term limits for politicians and judges ,public financing of campaigns and the return of Fairness Doctrine .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

The "Fairness Doctrine"----  bye bye free speech. Government control of the media...what could go wrong with that, eh?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Pathetic.

(QUOTE)

"Right wing line"?

How bout` Left wing talking points and outright lies from OBummer, his minions, and his mouthpiece (the main stream media)?   That`s more like it.  Anything Romney may have been "giving"  was for the people that create jobs and fix disastrous economies, not the freebie seekers.

101 million on government assistance. 50 million on food stamps. 25 million out of work. 2.5 million foreclosures.  And 51% voted for more?

Did Romney ever say anything about ending or reforming food stamps, wellfare, or unemployment benefits?  Did Obama campaign on expanding these programs?  What did you get 'free' by voting for Obama over Romney?  Obama got 63 million votes and won the wealthiest states in the nation - that seems like the reverse of your narrative.  That's a lot of people voting for a guy, despite his opponent promising to fatten their wallets.  

Back on topic - I read somewhere that there is a growing movement among the states to agree to cast all electoral votes according to the popular result.  By 2020, the electoral college will be a thing of the past, which IMO is more democratic, and a better idea regardless of which party it benefits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

I agree, up to the last two.

Public financing is corruption of elections by governemnt, and:

Nothing fair about the fairness doctrine.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"The wingnuts are the lazy, non-tax-paying layabouts and they congregate with other like minded racists...in the biblebelt south. Where they ALL vote wingnut"

According to angryman, 100% of 'takers' in red states are Republicans....

Sections
Shortcuts