State run media, book publisher version: Simon & Schuster rejected book about Bergdahl because it might hurt Obama

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

State run media, book publisher version: Simon & Schuster rejected book about Bergdahl because it might hurt Obama

Hot Air:

Via the Daily Caller, you would think an eyewitness account of the disappearance of the last American POW in Afghanistan would be easy money for a publisher.

But sometimes there are higher considerations.

While the U.S. Army weighs whether to bring charges against Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was freed earlier this year after spending nearly five years as a Taliban captive in Afghanistan, six of his former platoon mates are shopping proposals for a book and movie that would render their own harsh verdicts…

“I’m not sure we can publish this book without the Right using it to their ends,” Sarah Durand, a senior editor at Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, wrote in an email to one of the soldiers’ agents.

“[T]he Conservatives are all over Bergdahl and using it against Obama,” Durand wrote, “and my concern is that this book will have to become a kind of ‘Swift Boat Veterans for Truth’”

Why did she write that knowing that it might leak and force Atria to explain precisely how damaging to Barack Obama a book can be before it’s unfit for publication? That’s something you’d say inside an office at Simon & Schuster while sticking pins in a Ted Cruz doll, not something you’d put down in print and then hand over to someone whose book you’re rejecting.

Here’s the “about” page for Atria Books, by the way, which begins by emphasizing the vision of its publisher. Any guesses as to which presidential candidate she favored in the last two elections? Do a [Judith Curr]....search at Open Secrets if you can’t stand the suspense...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: State run media, book publisher version: Simon & Schuster rejected book about Bergdahl because it might hurt Obama

Don't worry Bobin.   Harper Collins (a division of News Corp) will print the book for you so you can read the tales that these guys have already told.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: State run media, book publisher version: Simon & Schuster rejected book about Bergdahl because it might hurt Obama

So Simon and Schuster don't have a right to decide what they will and will not publish?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Bad reason not to publish a book, but then, it's up to the business owners to allow or disallow this kind of thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bad reason not to publish a book, but then, it's up to the business owners to allow or disallow this kind of thing.

[/QUOTE]

The publisher clearly has no right to not publish this book.  Have we not settled this question with all the gay wedding cake issues?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So Simon and Schuster don't have a right to decide what they will and will not publish?

[/QUOTE]

Who said they don't have the right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who said they don't have the right?

[/QUOTE]

It is right we should all have in the commercial marketplace.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The publisher clearly has no right to not publish this book.  Have we not settled this question with all the gay wedding cake issues?

[/QUOTE]

OK, Beavis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow. You still don't get it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to hypertext's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Apparently you don't get it either.

are we a free people, or not?

in your view, I guess we are not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Derp on, Beavis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You evidently have no idea how the publishing world works, do you? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plenty. I know plenty about publishing.

you obviously have no idea how asking someone to bake a special cake works, do you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you obviously have no idea how asking someone to bake a special cake works, do you?

[/QUOTE]

Well, there's quite a difference between the two. You're just being too obtuse to admit it. Publishers are not obligated to print anything if they don't think they'll get a return on their investment. Many authors have been denied because of that. Buying a cake, however, is a simple transaction for services rendered. Cake.... money.... no risk or investment involved. And, sure, this is being rather simplified for you.... because, after all....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, there's quite a difference between the two. You're just being too obtuse to admit it. Publishers are not obligated to print anything if they don't think they'll get a return on their investment. Many authors have been denied because of that. Buying a cake, however, is a simple transaction for services rendered. Cake.... money.... no risk or investment involved. And, sure, this is being rather simplified for you.... because, after all....

[/QUOTE]

Buying a cake is one thing.  Making a cake to order is another.

the similarity between publishing and custom cake making is the ability to deny service, at least in publishing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the similarity between publishing and custom cake making is the ability to deny service, at least in publishing.

[/QUOTE]

I'm having a difficult time understanding the following sentence..............
    "The similarity between publishing and custom cake making is the ability to deny service, at least in publishing."  That makes no logical sense whatsoever. Really.... please re-read that sentence out loud. In your case..... read it slowly..... twice.....preferably with someone else by your side.

I'm also having a difficult time understanding why any bakery might refuse anyone's request for a wedding cake. But then again, I'd have to try to think like you. You're assuming that the offensive cake would include some sort of terrible thing like.... like... well.... I have no idea aside from two people willing to pay for the cake. I really can't understand or think like you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"The similarity between publishing and custom cake making is the ability to deny service, at least in publishing."  That makes no logical sense whatsoever. Really.... please re-read that sentence out loud. In your case..... read it slowly..... twice.....preferably with someone else by your side.

I'm also having a difficult time understanding why any bakery might refuse anyone's request for a wedding cake. But then again, I'd have to try to think like you. You're assuming that the offensive cake would include some sort of terrible thing like.... like... well.... I have no idea aside from two people willing to pay for the cake. I really can't understand or think like you.

[/QUOTE]

Of course you are having trouble, you are a one dimensional thinker: what you think is correct, you justify. However, you are not able to extend your concern or "correctness" to other with whom you disagree.

A service is a service. You can't deny a standard offering to anyone, but you certainly can deny a specialized service to someone, right?  So, how do you deny a service based on a value judgement?

“I’m not sure we can publish this book without the Right using it to their ends" is structurally no different than saying I won't make you a wedding cake.  The only difference is what YOU think is right.  In our society, the standard used to be that I disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to believe that.  In today's progressive world, of which you are a compliant member, it has become think like I think or I will destroy you.

there ends today's lessons on the ills of political correctness as it destroys our society.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Hahahahahaha.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Did they refuse to publish the book because the author was gay?

The cowardice in trying to wrap one's hatred of gay people in whines about "political correctness" is impressive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course you are having trouble, you are a one dimensional thinker: what you think is correct, you justify. However, you are not able to extend your concern or "correctness" to other with whom you disagree.

A service is a service. You can't deny a standard offering to anyone, but you certainly can deny a specialized service to someone, right?  So, how do you deny a service based on a value judgement?

“I’m not sure we can publish this book without the Right using it to their ends" is structurally no different than saying I won't make you a wedding cake.  The only difference is what YOU think is right.  In our society, the standard used to be that I disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to believe that.  In today's progressive world, of which you are a compliant member, it has become think like I think or I will destroy you.

there ends today's lessons on the ills of political correctness as it destroys our society.

[/QUOTE]

Alright..... where to begin? If a bakery provides wedding cakes as part of their "services", we can assume it's not to be considered a "custom" or "specialty" job. You actually said in your previous post that "You can't deny a standard offering to anyone". 

Now, as it pertains to publishing companies, they are under no obligation to sign you up. They are thinking about their bottom line. They would be taking a risk accepting and investing in your text. An author can be, and often has been, rejected by various publishing companies because said companies want a return on their investment. 

To compare paying for a wedding cake to being denied by a publishing company is idiotic on your behalf. 

That said, please tell us how knowledgeable you are about publishing.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

Oh, hey, RRF..... here's a question for you regarding bakeries and wedding cakes. Hear me out on this one.

Have you ever heard of a bakery owned by a Catholic denying a Protestant/Atheist/Jew a wedding cake? No? That's odd, isn't it? None of those "weddings" would be recognized by the Catholic church, would they?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

You really are a maroon.

Publishing involves a contract that is contingent on many factors ... the foremost being that the publisher assumes the risk (liability) of the book making enough money to recoup their investment.

If the author was willing to pay for the cost of publishing, marketing etc. upfront ... then you may have a point ... but since that is not how publishing works ... it shows your ignorance of both assumed liability and publishing.

Like I said ... you're a maroon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

In response to high-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You really are a maroon.

Publishing involves a contract that is contingent on many factors ... the foremost being that the publisher assumes the risk (liability) of the book making making enough money to recoup their investment.

If the author was willing to pay for the cost of publishing and marketing upfront ... then you may have a point ... but since that is not how publishing works ... it shows your ignorance of both assumed liability and publishing.

Like I said ... you're a maroon.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've tried to get him to understand that multiple times. When it comes to being a maroon.... he takes the cake!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Perhaps he's getting tripped up because sometimes they write words on cakes with frosting?

Sections
Shortcuts