Stewart on O'Reilly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Stewart on O'Reilly

For those who don't know or missed it, John Stewart was on Bill O'Reilly last night (basically to promote his new book):

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/23/bill.oreilly.jon.stewart.ew/

I am curious what others thought about the exchange. I watched last night and really tried to look at it with as much objectivity as possible. I noticed different papers and sources are taking different angles (usually by focusing on one small thing in the interview and trying to make it into more than it was). I felt both men performed well. That there seemed to be a level of mutual respect (and probably a lot of contractual agreements not to discuss certain things before hand), and an almost feigned antagonism between them (most of the verbal barbs exchanged seemed forced and insincere to me). Interested in other peoples' thoughts on this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Re: Stewart on O'Reilly

Stewart was great as usual basically saying that O'Reilly is now equivalent to a leftist on his own network....which is not far from the truth when a particular gop senate candidate's staffer described O'Reilly as "not friendly". 

If only Jon could appear on Hannity or Beck....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I didn't watch the interview, but did Bill happen to trot out his tried and true "your audience is a bunch of stoners" line?  I love that line, it never gets old. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: Stewart on O'Reilly:
    [QUOTE]I didn't watch the interview, but did Bill happen to trot out his tried and true "your audience is a bunch of stoners" line?  I love that line, it never gets old. 
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]

I think Stewart beat him to the punch on it. But someone was talking on the phone next to me while I watched, so I might have missed O'reilly saying it himself. Basically it looked like they exchanged jabs, but did so in a mutually respectful way. Occassionally Stewart rolled his eyes, but there wasn't a lot of energy behind it. And at one point O'reilly pretended to thumb through Stewart's book "Earth" as he conducted the interview, but it all seemed kind of deliberate and put on IMO. I think with both of them, once you agree to appear on their show, they mellow out toward you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fafhrd. Show Fafhrd's posts

Watch Stewart on O'Reilly's show from a while back.  Then watch Colbert on O'Reilly's show.  Colbert pretty much humiliates and baffles O'Reilly.

Stewart just takes Billo's shots and crushes them.  From what I saw last night it seemed like Billo was trying to provoke Stewart and had his defenses up because of their last appearance.  But Billo is just a big gas bag and Stewart destroys all of Fox network on a regular basis.

Notice how Billo didn't defend his colleagues when Stewart talked about them jumping way over him in terms of going to the right.  Billo calls people by their last name when he wants to intimidate them.  He does this weird thing with licking his lips when he makes a point.  He called Stewart's book nonsense and tried to make fun of it, treat it like it was supposed to be serious.

Billo thinks that Stewart has some kind of non-bias responsibility when Stewart repeatedly says how he does a comedy show, a satire on Comedy Central.  But Billo thinks he can equate it with MSNBC or Fox.

Colbert really makes Billo look stupid though.  Other good Billo interviews are Marilyn Manson and Richard Dawson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

[QUOTE]Watch Stewart on O'Reilly's show from a while back.  Then watch Colbert on O'Reilly's show.  Colbert pretty much humiliates and baffles O'Reilly. Stewart just takes Billo's shots and crushes them.  From what I saw last night it seemed like Billo was trying to provoke Stewart and had his defenses up because of their last appearance.  But Billo is just a big gas bag and Stewart destroys all of Fox network on a regular basis. Notice how Billo didn't defend his colleagues when Stewart talked about them jumping way over him in terms of going to the right.  Billo calls people by their last name when he wants to intimidate them.  He does this weird thing with licking his lips when he makes a point.  He called Stewart's book nonsense and tried to make fun of it, treat it like it was supposed to be serious. Billo thinks that Stewart has some kind of non-bias responsibility when Stewart repeatedly says how he does a comedy show, a satire on Comedy Central.  But Billo thinks he can equate it with MSNBC or Fox. Colbert really makes Billo look stupid though.  Other good Billo interviews are Marilyn Manson and Richard Dawson.
    Posted by Fafhrd[/QUOTE]

For someone who hates O'Reilly, you seem like you have a PhD in Billo.

I saw the interview.  I liked it.  I also don't think either one is a frothing partisan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Watch Stewart on O'Reilly's show from a while back.  Then watch Colbert on O'Reilly's show.  Colbert pretty much humiliates and baffles O'Reilly. Stewart just takes Billo's shots and crushes them.  From what I saw last night it seemed like Billo was trying to provoke Stewart and had his defenses up because of their last appearance.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I would agree with your characterization of their last meeting. I am more  of a stewart guy, but I would say it was a pretty even match, with Bill leading by a few points. Stewart is simply not a journalist, and it showed in their first meeting.

[QUOTE]  But Billo is just a big gas bag and Stewart destroys all of Fox network on a regular basis. Notice how Billo didn't defend his colleagues when Stewart talked about them jumping way over him in terms of going to the right. [/QUOTE]

I thought that was a critical point. I think after O'Reilly leaves FOX we will hear a lot from him what he really thinks about the new direction with guys like Beck. I think Stewart struck a chord when he said Bill was terrified by what is coming out now (but this actually reflects well on Bill IMO).

[QUOTE] Billo calls people by their last name when he wants to intimidate them.  He does this weird thing with licking his lips when he makes a point.  He called Stewart's book nonsense and tried to make fun of it, treat it like it was supposed to be serious.[/QUOTE]

Everybody has rhetorical and psychological tactics they use to gaint he upper hand. Stewart has his own on the daily show. If you watch, he shifts pretty rapidly from obsequious to critical, in a way that puts many of his guests on the spot when he wants. In terms of O'Reilly belittling the book. I really didn't get that this was an honest effort by O'Reilly. Looked more like a playful exchange of insults to me. And stewart being a comedian proved capable of playing right along and deflating most of O'Reilly's attacks on the book. If O'Reilly wanted to, he could really have gone into specifics about the book, dredged up embarassing things Stewart had said in the past, etc. It is his show, and he had the home court advantage. But he didn't really do any of those things. You can tell when either O'reilly or Stewart are actively trying to sink someone.

[QUOTE] Billo thinks that Stewart has some kind of non-bias responsibility when Stewart repeatedly says how he does a comedy show, a satire on Comedy Central.  But Billo thinks he can equate it with MSNBC or Fox. Colbert really makes Billo look stupid though.  Other good Billo interviews are Marilyn Manson and Richard Dawson.
    Posted by Fafhrd[/QUOTE]

I think both can be criticized for a lack of objectivity. But they are both commentators, who are paid to take a point of view so I don't really hold it against either of them. While Stewart appears on a comedy station, the truth is his program is viewed by many people as a real news analysis, and there are even essays and papers on the subject in higher education. One legit. criticism of O'reilly is his insintence that FOX is unbiased. Obviously FOX has a republican slant. Him taking issue with people saying it is basically a republican news station undermines his credibility.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]I also don't think either one is a frothing partisan.
    Posted by schadenfreude99[/QUOTE]

I think this is correct. I think they are both old fashioned partisans. Which is to say, I've seen both admit they were wrong on things before, and they both appear capable of having a respectful discussion with the otherside and understanding the opposiing viewpoint. Where, with guys like Beck or Olberman, the other side is beyond comprehension.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Stewart is a talented satirist, but it was interesting to hear him once speak straight as an Obama supporter. 
    To his credit, Stewart has said he is just a comedian, and has no illusions that he has political power, or that he could run for office, etc.  
    However, just as Glen Beck let himself open for derision for leading a rally in part to promote himself,  so Colbert and Stewart are treading a thin line with their rally.  Selling books, videos and tshirts is one thing, pretending they are real intellectual leaders is another. There is real danger for them  in "jumping the shark" and being seen as political hacks. 

If they get egotistic because of their entertainment success, they may go all "Hollywood liberal" and get delusions they are genius intellectuals , and get "Bill Maher syndrome" also known as "Seth MacFarlane syndrome" also known as "Rosie O'Donnell syndrome' etc etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Stewart is a talented satirist, but it was interesting to hear him once speak straight as an Obama supporter.  To his credit, Stewart has said he is just a comedian, and has no illusions that he has political power, or that he could run for office, etc.   However, just as Glen Beck let himself open for derision for leading a rally in part to promote himself,  so Colbert and Stewart are treading a thin line with their rally.  Selling books, videos and tshirts is one thing, pretending they are real intellectual leaders is another. There is real danger for them  in "jumping the shark" and being seen as political hacks.    If they get egotistic because of their entertainment success, they may go all "Hollywood liberal" and get delusions they are genius intellectuals , and get "Bill Maher syndrome" also known as "Seth MacFarlane syndrome" also known as "Rosie O'Donnell syndrome' etc etc.
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

I think it depends how these rallies play out. If Stewart is serious about the taking it down a notch theme, that is something he can probably pull off without a problem. If he goes past the tone issue and starts getting overly partisan, I would agree it could be jumping the shark. My expectation with Colbert is he is in less danger because he is always in character and he will probably just lampoon the Beck rally. Also, IMO Colbert is much better spinning stuff off the cuff, so I think he'll handle things like unforseen hecklers or whatever much better than Stewart.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Seth MacFarlane works for Fox, producing one of their most popular shows.

But it's a mistake that there is much of a difference between a media celebrity and a political celebrity these days.

I'd like to see more effusive, hard-line conservative commenters like Malkin, Levin or Hanson appear on their shows....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Stewart is a smart guy and balanced in much the same way Bil O is. They both point out mistakes even with it is with their perferred party.

The thing that makes them both so popular is they are honest and not defenders of either party at all cost.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Seth MacFarlane works for Fox, producing one of their most popular shows. But it's a mistake that there is much of a difference between a media celebrity and a political celebrity these days. I'd like to see more effusive, hard-line conservative commenters like Malkin, Levin or Hanson appear on their shows....
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Malkin is definitely a bit of a far right loon, but she is hot and charming. Levin sounds like my uncle---just someone who likes to kvetch...at the end of the day, even though I disagree with him, I find him too avuncular to despise. Not sure which Hanson you are referring to (Tim?).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mynameisAugustWest. Show mynameisAugustWest's posts

The best was when Bill went on Letterman for the first time and Dave just crushed him.  It was when O'Reilly was coming down on Cindy Sheehan (women who lost her son in Iraq and was protesting at W's ranch) and Dave just laid into him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fafhrd. Show Fafhrd's posts

Billo is biased but he plays it off like he isn't.  The no-spin zone?  Hardly.  He has camera crews ambush people he disagrees with.  Look at how he jumped on the Shirley Sherrod thing.

Stewart is biased towards liberals as well, but he'll rip Dems for being weak or stupid, especially when it's deserved.

The worst thing about Billo is his giant ego and hypocrisy.  He sexually harrassed a woman who worked for Fox and had to settle out of court for millions.  Then he said this girl who got raped had it coming because of how she was dressed.  He acts like he's morally superior, when he's got that sexual harrassment issue in his not too distant past.

"For someone who hates O'Reilly, you seem like you have a PhD in Billo."  Yeah, I love watching what a buffoon he is.  He's so pompous it's amusing to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoldOut. Show SoldOut's posts

Stewart is heavy into satire and he admits it. It's easy to "make fun" of someone and come off looking good -- hell, most posters here are like that. I saw the interview and thought that when Bill tried to pin Stewart down to a point the guy folded and didn't want to answer. But the two guys are "Friends", they bounce things off of one another. I have a few friends that do the same with me -- makes for fun discussions.

Yes, Bill is biased and I'm a fan. There are times when it really upsets me, other times I'm biased the same way and it feels like he's arguing the case for me.

Anyway, good segment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.comedyblogger.com/jon-stewart-back-on-bill-oreilly O'Reilly can't keep up with Stewart full stop.  Billo is a bully and a buffoon.  They edit stuff out on his show that makes him look bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobA2MoDzDY&feature=fvst Sorry but if you have a guest on your show and you call him by his last name like a schoolyard kid, and then you call his book nonsense / gibberish, you're being pretty freakin' rude. Stewart on O'Reilly 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5pK7sK0i4A When O'Reilly appeared on Stewart, it was a pretty fair exchange with Stewart mocking O'Reilly only a little bit. But Colbert destroys O'Reilly.  The worst thing is when O'Reilly tries to be funny, because he isn't at all.  Anybody who says stoned slackers is retarded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QquTUR9nbC4&feature=related
    Posted by Fafhrd[/QUOTE]

Dude...all I see is 2 guys busting each others balls in these interviews.  Nobody is getting "destroyed"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

Stewart was struggling to come up with relevant gags to level on O'Reilly. Basically O'Reilly had a fun time toying with Strewart about his laim-O book, which by the way was the reason he was even on Bills show".

The best part was Stewart admitting that he has buyers remorse with Obama. Says a lot coming from Stewart.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]The best was when Bill went on Letterman for the first time and Dave just crushed him.  It was when O'Reilly was coming down on Cindy Sheehan (women who lost her son in Iraq and was protesting at W's ranch) and Dave just laid into him. 
    Posted by mynameisAugustWest[/QUOTE]

I'm no fan of O'Reilly in the least bit but what specifically did Letterman do/say that makes you consider this a "crushing"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtica4Q401w

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stewart on O'Reilly : Malkin is definitely a bit of a far right loon, but she is hot and charming. Levin sounds like my uncle---just someone who likes to kvetch...at the end of the day, even though I disagree with him, I find him too avuncular to despise. Not sure which Hanson you are referring to (Tim?).
    Posted by ForumCleaner[/QUOTE]

Victor.

Funny though, I don't find unhinged hatred all that charming.  And Levin is a particularly venomous sort all full of ad hominems when he even imagines he's been slighted (which is constantly).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stewart on O'Reilly : Victor. Funny though, I don't find unhinged hatred all that charming.  And Levin is a particularly venomous sort all full of ad hominems when he even imagines he's been slighted (which is constantly).
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Oh she is a venemous nut job. But that is separate from her charm and general hotness. I do agree she can be quite hateful, and I disagree strongly with her views on Islam (but even more so, I disagree with how she expresses those veiws, which is with a lot of hostility toward the religion). Levin? Sure he uses ad homs a lot and goes on wild tangents. Yes I disagree with him. But he really sounds like an older relative whose been given a mic. Whereas Malkin can be said to be somewhat hatefilled. Levin is more full of crotchetiness. He is full of crotch.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stewart on O'Reilly : Chris Matthews, Keith O, Rachel Maddow, Howard Dean, ...voices of the left that are all comically clueless.   While the right went to work to pay the bills of this country, the left focused on infiltrating the universities and launched a generation of like minded zombies into mass media and "education" (more like indoctrination) roles preaching dependence on a nanny state.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree at all with this analysis. But we can agree to disagree. I see the partisans on the left and the right doing a great disservice to the country, and I don't think you can use poll numbers as a measure of what is really going on. People are upset, but that doesn't mean they are right.

[QUOTE]They are terrified of opposing positions which is why they push the "Fairness Doctrine" in an attempt to silence and marginalize detractors.  Savage, Malkin, Levin, Hannity, and Beck all had Obama pegged for the radical Marxist he has revealed himself to be.[/QUOTE]

Don't think you will see the fairness doctrine come back. But I think both sides need to look at this issue from a lens that isn't colored by their own politics. The FD had some benefits and draw backs. On the one hand, it makes sense to ensure the population has access to balanced news. And one way to do this, is to have provisions ensuring alternate viewpoints are heard. On the other hand, this is walking a fine line on the right of free speech. I personally don't think it is as simple as either side makes it out to be.

As for Obama being a marxist, I don't think so at all. He hasn't even brought us back to Clinton era levels of taxation. If he is trying to create a marxist state, he is failing misrerably. By recent standards he is a center left democrat. By more objective standards, I would say he is a centerist.

Also, even if we accept some of the right's arguments. You are conflating European style Social Democracy, with Marxism. The two simply aren't the same. And the truth is, in some European countries, social democracy has worked, in others it has been less succesful.

[QUOTE]The reason the left gets destroyed in talk radio and cable news is because regular people have had enough.   No amount of "hope and change" fairydust can save the left.  The country has turned the lights on and noticed the vermin problem that has infested our courts, schools, and politics.  A tsunami is coming to wash the left, and RINO's, back to oblivion come November  
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

I think the reason the left is being "destroyed" on talk radio, is because they haven't had a precense there in decades. They are playing catch up with the right.

This is a passing thing. In 2000 people were talking about a permament republican majority. In 2006 they were talking about a permanent democrat majority. These things and movements like the Tea Party or Moveon.org, or whatever fade over time. When we hit moments of crisis, both sides move to the extreme.

Also, just be aware that comparing your political enemies to vermin, is a "nazi tactic" ;)

25. This post has been removed.